In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hitting Deer on Your Second Shot

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My favorite deer rifle is a Browning 78, 243. When carrying a single shot rifle, I squeeze the trigger, go gather up my deer. I am always totally aware of the fact that I only have one shot. I take my time, do it carefully. Mentioned this at my favorite man cave/gun store. One guy said he wouldn't go hunting with out second shot capability. That made me think about anytime I have ever had to take a second shot. I can't remember missing with the first shot, hitting the second. I can remember rolling one over first shot, then as the deer gets up hitting and finishing the deer off. How many of you have cleanly missed a first shot, hit with the second shot? I have a feeling it's pretty rare. Makes me think that second shot capability is over rated. But I could be wrong.

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have made good seconds and thirds quite a bit in rabbit, bird, and squirrel hunting.

If I missed a deer, i dont think I'd try for a second shot if it was moveing, and ofcourse it would be most likely.

I am very careful with that first shot.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i missed my first shot once. it was a shotgun though. Didn't realize the scope was loose. not a fun day for me. i noticed it after the first shot cuzz the scope twisted a little in the scope mounts.
  • mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another thing to consider might be shooting more than one deer. I usually hunt with 2 tags. If I get into a sizeable heard - which is twice in the last 2 years, I can fill both my tags and be done with it. However, to answer your original question, I am a one shot one kill man myself.
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
    edited November -1
    I filled out two farm tags last year within fifteen minutes of my first hunt. I was walking to my hide when I spotted a doe, shot it in the head, then another doe walked up to the one I'd dropped and sniffed it, shot it in the head too. I hunt with an AR-15.[:D]

lucky.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with a .243 and when I was younger (10-18) I carried a full magazine. Since about age of 18 I begin to carry a single round. My logic was I can only kill one deer and I will do better if I know I only have 1 shot. However, I begin carrying a sidearm around the same time. 1 shot one kill. The absoulte worst situation for me is wounding an animal. I hate it. I want them to drop dead in the their tracks. I would rather miss than to wound.

I say stick to the single round, you make all the other guys look like chumps when they are snapping in their 4 or 5 round magazines and putting that partial box of ammo in their pocket.
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like my Dad told me when i started to hunt Deer,one shot, one Deer,two shots,maybe one Deer,three shots,no Deer
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The only time one might need a fast follow up shot is on something like a bear of other dangerous game...and that can be done with a standard bolt action repeater.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Although I don't own one at this time, I love single shots. There's a beautiful simplicity to them. With a little practice, you can have a second round chambered in no time. Just have 'em handy.

Would love a Browning Hi-wall, peep site, in 7-08.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    when i was young my pop would only give you a few shells at a time..we learned to make them count..have never needed a second shot..when deer hunting i only carry 3, squirrel rabbit or other 6, turkey 2
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ONCE in my life have I missed clean with first shot, got deer with second. Was off on range, bullet hit ground right below his head. He bent over and sniffed the ground where bullet hit. 2nd did not miss.

I DO get a kick out of some dove hunters that seem to have the full auto shotguns- they never can seem to shoot once- its BLAM-BLAM-BLAM, and the doves keep flying. Once in a while I will get a double. But a miss on the first is usually a miss on the second.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    I'm a single shot Rifle and Pistol fanatic. Never bothered me that I might need a second shot quick. Practice will make that second shot with a single shot firearm just a split second slower than a bolt gun. I'd hunt any critter on earth with a single shot firearm.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't worry about the second shot, I do everything I can to make the first one count. That said, of the over 50 whitetails I've killed, I've only connected on a second shot a couple of times and I can only recall connecting on a third shot once.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    This is the reason I got my single shot H&R slug gun... I plan on taking 2 tags and 2 shells hopefully Ill have a deer with ammo to spare...
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One time after downing a mule deer (one shot) as I approached it I was challenged for possession of it by the largest cougar I have ever seen. It eventually backed off but it sure felt good knowing there were a few rounds in the magazine if needed.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mind is a very funny thing - especially when it comes to shooting guns.

Used to do a fair amount of dove hunting. Always used pumps. A very good shooting (he didn't miss much) buddy of mine buys a semi-auto. First dove hunt using that gun, he couldn't hit anything on the first shot. He had a little better luck on the second shot and was deadly with the third. He went though a lot of shells and heckling that day. It was clearly all in his head. He as since recovered.

A couple years later, that same buddy and I were deer hunting. Out trots a nice buck at about 50 yards and he proceeds to put two slugs in it (with his semi-auto 12 G) about an inch apart just as fast as he could pull the trigger. Of course the deer is very dead and I'm very impressed.

So naturally the next year I was determined to do the same thing with my semi-auto. So along comes a cooperative buck, I get him in my sights and yank that trigger as fast as I can, twice. Missed both times of course since I was way more concerned with putting two holes in him than one good one. As I mentioned he was cooperative - he stopped about 40 yards away to try to make sense of all the noise and fortunately the 3rd shot worked fine.

I have pretty well come full circle by now and hunt primarily with a muzzeloader. I fully understand that the 1st shot is almost always going to be the best one - make it count. Do second shots happen? Of course, we're all human. The first prey to fall to my ML was a coyote. And of course a second coyote came along after the first one fell. No, I couldn't get reloaded fast enough. Now I do typically carry a pistol as backup when the season allows it.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunting with a terrible black gun I have no issues with follow up shots[}:)][}:)][}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago I started to deer hunt after a several year hiatus. In Iowa we can't use rifles, only slug guns and certain handguns. I was to post on the first morning, my partners were to drive the deer to me. I arrived at my stand before dark and waited. It was barely light enough to see the sights on the gun when I heard the buck walking up. He stopped about 10 feet in front of me. I aimed just behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The buck jumped straight in the air, turned 180 degrees, stopped and looked right at me! He was now about 20 feet away facing the opposite direction so I aimed at his shoulder again and squeezed the trigger. This time he ran about 40 yards and fell over dead. There was only one hole in the deer that had to be the second shot I fired. To this day I don't know what exactly happened.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Have alot of guys like that around here. If I miss the first shot with my single shot I..........................RELOAD. The sad truth is that too many of the guys that miss the first shot with a repeater also miss with the remaining shots or make bad hits.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    Just because your gun only holds one round doesn't mean your pocket won't.[8D]
    Ruger #1 in .270. One in the pipe, one in the palm, and five in the pocket.
    Oh, yeah, I've never heard of a single shot jamming.[:I]
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    If for the only reason for a second shot was to down a wounded deer quick is why I would have one. We all think we are the best shot or we never take chances or that tree isnt in our line of fire , but crap happens and I want to get it down as fast as possible. However if its Black powder guns its a different ball game isnt it, Like a bow were tracking wounded deer is the norm, For regular deer rifle season where Distances are longer, you wont find me with a single shot
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, all you guys are amazing shots.

Hell yes I miss. I miss deer, elk, coyotes, birds, rabbits on and on and on.

Sometimes it's helpful to have a couple extra in the mag. I don't always need them but occasionally I do.

I have yet to meet someone whom hasn't unloaded their gun and come up empty handed, at least a few times in their life. I still get buck fever from time to time. I don't always shoot from the prone position. In fact most of my elk are taken off hand.

Sometimes I jerk the trigger, sometimes I hit the invisible branch and sometimes I flat out miss.

I probably go though 20rds of 300wm ammo every three years. I certainly dont kill 20 animals every three years with that gun. I dont blame my gun, it's the one pulling the trigger.

Kudos to the one shot, one kill, I never miss guys. Youre better than me.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    You ain't gonna' get a second shot at a deer in Texas, so why worry!
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back on the farm we hunted abuot 9000 acres of flat
    Florida muck farm. There were three trees on the farm
    so long shots were the norm. We were young and not as
    responseble as a hunter might should be.
    so shooting half a mile with a spotter was not unusual
    an old Rem. 760, 30/06 with a twenty dollar scope on it
    was not the optimal tool for the job, but we did take a
    few after two or three shots.
    P.S. for the record, that was twenty five years ago and
    being a more responsible hunter now than then, I wont
    take shots like that anymore. Hell I cant see that far
    anymore.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Riverman, when I carry my Browning 78, I really don't miss. The reason is that I never take a shot I am not sure of. That is the key, not sure of. If the deer is over 150 to 200 yds., I don't take the shot. 100 yds. and running, I pass. I have always had a phobia about wounding and losing the deer. Out of a bunch of deer I have had to track 3. One I never found. The one I never found (tracked about a quarter mile, lost him) and one of the ones I did find was with my BAR. I have found out that with my 78, I am cautious to a fault. Almost all of my shots are 50 to 75 yds., walking or standing still. I don't miss those shots, I'll bet you don't either.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Just because your gun only holds one round doesn't mean your pocket won't.[8D]
    Oh, yeah, I've never heard of a single shot jamming.[:I]

well your about to [B)][:D] my nephew started hunting with a NEF 243 single shot and lost his 1st deer because it would not eject the spent case [:(!] had to take a cleaning rod to get it out [B)]
    for some reason it would stick every time he used fed. ammo but not remington or winchester go fig. [:D] gun was even sent to a gunsmith.

Now myself I like using my single shot 7-08 encore [}:)][:D][:D]
    never has given any problems and always 1shot 1 kill [:D] so far anyways [:D]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm not afraid to say I've missed occasionally with the first shot. Whether due to striking an unnoticed limb, incorrect ranging, or just oops, I've nailed many animals with that second shot. Sometimes the game can't locate the sound and so, doesn't move immediately. Then, there is the possibility of a poor shot leaving the animal hit but not fatally. I follow the policy of shooting until the target is down or no shot is possible. I have a serious problem with hunters (especially on video) who shoot once and then watch the animal flop and drag around. No one makes a perfect shot every time and should be prepared to fire another shot asap to finish the animal and/or improve the chance of recovery. In years of guiding, I've seen it time after time- the hunter shoots and due to his highly overestimated skill chooses not to shoot again. The guide finds a little blood or hair but no critter. Hunter says "I sure got him, you just can't find him. Set me up on another."
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I missed a caribou in 30 MPH cross winds at over 500 yards while hunting NE of Kotzebue AK. I thought they were about 250 yards away. The first shot hit three feet low and five feet behind my target. I just slowly worked the bolt, adjusted for Kentucky windage and dropped them all, four in a pile.
    edited November -1
    Well its like this, My hunting AR carbine shoots 5 rounds into .30" of an inch at 100 yards, about 1" at 200 yards. Thats why I shoot well. I started with a single shot but eventually found that repeaters offer more.

As bpost stated wind drift can be a problem, a repeater is very quick about compensating for it without having to re cheeck weild.

I think if you cant shoot a semi well, you have a mental block or lack discipline or skill that you can only attain with regular practice.
  • chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only need one shot with my 480. And I dont have to track them. but you gotta pick your shots!
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I only hunt deer with a muzzleloader , aim small , miss small .

Never needed a second shot but do carry a quick charge in my pocket .

I also started hunting with an Ithaca model 66 single shot lever gun . Found out early that the first shot was the best an to make it count .
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Many times hunting whitetail a second shot was required.
    6 or 7 seasons ago I shot a whitetail at about 200 yards. Down it
    went. I walked down to the deer. Nice Buck, gave it a kick then went
    back for the truck. Buy the time I got back with the truck the deer
    was gone. Never found him.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the person I guess. The first shot is important to me regardless of what I am carrying. What I mean is I do not take a questionable shot because I have back up. I have used a 2nd shot after a clean miss, however I was using a single shot at the time, the deer crouched, to go under a limb I didn't see, just as I squeezed the trigger. I reloaded and shot him. I've used repeaters and shot a 2nd deer a few times I may not have got with a single shot. I grew up using a single shot for everything so I learned to reload quick, ever take 2 quail on a rise with a single shot (using 2 shots), I have. But I have taken more than 2 with a repeater.

Most of my deer hunting is with a single shot as we primarily us shotguns with slugs here in Indiana and the H&R's with a scope are very nice. Lately an Encore handgun in .270 (yes it's legal in IN), I have also killed more game with a single shot than I ever will with anything else. However If I was on a hard hunt covering a lot of ground, say a mountain elk hunt, with cold weather gear on, I beleive I would want some extras in the magazine, just in case. Hunting doesn't follow a scripted plan, I would not like fumbling for shells while a hard won opportunity walked away, especially if I wounded it, and let's face it it happens occasionaly.

Edit: Just read my post, yes I too have missed some deer that I did not get another shot at during 35 years of hunting. That number went down when I got better gear, like scoped, rifled slug guns instead of the smooth bore no sites ones we used as a kid. Age seemed to help as well. For actually numbers on my H&R single shot slug gun I've fired 33 rounds resulting in 30 dead and recovered deer. I shot one twice, I probably didn't need to but I did, hit a limb once and plain missed a head shot, the deer dropped it's head, or maybe I just missed either way it lived and it was a shot I probably shouldn't have taken. I'm not perfect like some of you boys.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Single shots are great for making you extra careful when taking a shot at game. That's why i think they are a good way to teach beginning hunters.
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    I filled out two farm tags last year within fifteen minutes of my first hunt. I was walking to my hide when I spotted a doe, shot it in the head, then another doe walked up to the one I'd dropped and sniffed it, shot it in the head too. I hunt with an AR-15.[:D]

lucky.
    I quit taking head shots at deer when I was 15.I had a mod 12, 12ga and knocked a doe down at 30 yds, she got up and stood there for a second shot and just shook her head. I put the 3rd in her neck and she stayed down. The first shot took her lower jaw off, the second took an ear off. That was my last head shot.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, since we can literaly take some 30+ deer here, I quite often use all 4 rounds. However, that most always means 4 deer.

The shots I can recall missing, were mostly at 300+yds when I was first getting into long range shooting. Now, they seem like simple shots, but you have to start somewhere.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 8000fthi
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

lucky.
    I quit taking head shots at deer when I was 15.I had a mod 12, 12ga and knocked a doe down at 30 yds, she got up and stood there for a second shot and just shook her head. I put the 3rd in her neck and she stayed down. The first shot took her lower jaw off, the second took an ear off. That was my last head shot.

That sounds awful. I have never had problem with the headshots I have taken. I have taken lung and heart shots with the AR-15, but I like head shots better. Those two last year were about 60-80 yards away.

A gym whistle or grunt is a good way to get a grazeing doe to present for a good head shot.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    Wow, all you guys are amazing shots.

Hell yes I miss. I miss deer, elk, coyotes, birds, rabbits on and on and on.

Sometimes it's helpful to have a couple extra in the mag. I don't always need them but occasionally I do.

I have yet to meet someone whom hasn't unloaded their gun and come up empty handed, at least a few times in their life. I still get buck fever from time to time. I don't always shoot from the prone position. In fact most of my elk are taken off hand.

Sometimes I jerk the trigger, sometimes I hit the invisible branch and sometimes I flat out miss.

I probably go though 20rds of 300wm ammo every three years. I certainly dont kill 20 animals every three years with that gun. I dont blame my gun, it's the one pulling the trigger.

Kudos to the one shot, one kill, I never miss guys. Youre better than me.

I have never done that...perhaps it's b/c I'm a bow hunter. I honestly believe that bow hunters are better hunters. I have however missed with a bow and had a follow up shot with another arrow. I do have well over 100 whitetails under my belt as well. I killed my first two deer with an old single shot Ithaca and 20 ga pumpkin ball, two days apart and the next year I went to a bow.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    well, since we can literaly take some 30+ deer here, I quite often use all 4 rounds. However, that most always means 4 deer.

The shots I can recall missing, were mostly at 300+yds when I was first getting into long range shooting. Now, they seem like simple shots, but you have to start somewhere.

+1

I have missed some long range shots, but I've never emptied a whole mag on a deer...and by long range, I mean well over 300 yards.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    You ain't gonna' get a second shot at a deer in Texas, so why worry!

Funny thing about Texas deer, they are quick learners and they don't stick find out what happened.

My worse miss, I was 11 years old spotted a deer. I shot three times, the deer never flinched. Come to find out later, Dad said i was shooting well beyond the ability of my .243. I showed him where the deer was and he drove me to where the bullets were hitting.

Other than that, I cannot truly recall missing a deer. Not bragging. I was taught to shoot in the neck, and I alsways have with great success.

Now I shoot for * when dove hunting. Its like shooting pool. I can make the hard shots, but the easy ones get me everytime.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

+1

I have missed some long range shots, but I've never emptied a whole mag on a deer...and by long range, I mean well over 300 yards.

So you guys are saying you have never missed the same animal 3 times.........ever?

I would have to say that the average shot I take on deer is 250 yards. I usually hunt the hay fields along the river bottoms providing long, rested shots. I'm ok with those, doing about 95%.

Elk hunting offers me shots from 15yrds out to 500yrds. The shot opportunity may come while watching them feed out of the timber into a park. Giving me plenty of time to calm my nerves.

Here's a little example of what I put my self through.

I've cut a bulls tracks in the creek bottom. He's heading up one side of the draw so I try to parallel him on the other side. There he is disappearing into the trees.

After tying up the horses and then a 100 yard dash through knee deep snow, wearing about all the clothes I own. Out of breath and all amped up for the shot. The bull is trotting through the christmas trees on the face of the next ridge. He stops about half way up the ridge and looks at me.

I look desperately for some kind of rest, anything. Nothing but the tops of sage brush in the deep snow. I take a knee to do my best. "How far is he? The crosshairs are dancing all over the bull. Looks like 300 yards.....thats too far without a rest." Now I'm rolling around in the snow trying to get a comfortable shooting position and keep the snow out of the scope.

Not going to work. He's still there but he's looking uphill now. Not much time. I run up the hill about 50 yards and find a small dead pine tree for a kneeling rest. The bull has started walking up the ridge. "You have to shoot NOW!" Flip the safety off and squeeze the trigger. BOOM. The shot echos across the mountain. I regain my sight picture and the bull is just standing there looking at me. "Did I hit him?"

I cycle the bolt and watch the empty disappear in the snow. "Where did the first shot go? Is he further than that?"

Still fighting for breath, I squeeze the trigger again, now expecting to see a reaction from him. This time I see him flinch and take a step forward. "Did I gut shoot him? No, don't tell me that. Last shot, make it count." Now I'm worried that hes wounded and going to get away.

The bull starts up the hill again as I touch the trigger to quickly, rushing the shot and certain I've missed. "Wasted the last one."

Now in a panic I dig through all of the clothing for my gun belt. Finally pulling out a single round and chamber it. Very intent on the shot I put it high on his shoulder and settle the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger. As the 300 win mag recoils I can see the bull dropping through the scope. And a second later I can hear the dull WHACK of the bullet. He's down....finally.

This is about the same panic attack mixed with adrenaline I experience every year. It's no wonder I miss so much.[:I]

And yes, I do talk out loud to myself!