In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hitting Deer on Your Second Shot

2»

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    well, since we can literaly take some 30+ deer here, I quite often use all 4 rounds. However, that most always means 4 deer.

The shots I can recall missing, were mostly at 300+yds when I was first getting into long range shooting. Now, they seem like simple shots, but you have to start somewhere.

+1

I have missed some long range shots, but I've never emptied a whole mag on a deer...and by long range, I mean well over 300 yards.

So you guys are saying you have never missed the same animal 3 times.........ever?

I would have to say that the average shot I take on deer is 250 yards. I usually hunt the hay fields along the river bottoms providing long, rested shots. I'm ok with those, doing about 95%.

Elk hunting offers me shots from 15yrds out to 500yrds. The shot opportunity may come while watching them feed out of the timber into a park. Giving me plenty of time to calm my nerves.

Here's a little example of what I put my self through.

I've cut a bulls tracks in the creek bottom. He's heading up one side of the draw so I try to parallel him on the other side. There he is disappearing into the trees.

After tying up the horses and then a 100 yard dash through knee deep snow, wearing about all the clothes I own. Out of breath and all amped up for the shot. The bull is trotting through the christmas trees on the face of the next ridge. He stops about half way up the ridge and looks at me.

I look desperately for some kind of rest, anything. Nothing but the tops of sage brush in the deep snow. I take a knee to do my best. "How far is he? The crosshairs are dancing all over the bull. Looks like 300 yards.....thats too far without a rest." Now I'm rolling around in the snow trying to get a comfortable shooting position and keep the snow out of the scope.

Not going to work. He's still there but he's looking uphill now. Not much time. I run up the hill about 50 yards and find a small dead pine tree for a kneeling rest. The bull has started walking up the ridge. "You have to shoot NOW!" Flip the safety off and squeeze the trigger. BOOM. The shot echos across the mountain. I regain my sight picture and the bull is just standing there looking at me. "Did I hit him?"

I cycle the bolt and watch the empty disappear in the snow. "Where did the first shot go? Is he further than that?"

Still fighting for breath, I squeeze the trigger again, now expecting to see a reaction from him. This time I see him flinch and take a step forward. "Did I gut shoot him? No, don't tell me that. Last shot, make it count." Now I'm worried that hes wounded and going to get away.

The bull starts up the hill again as I touch the trigger to quickly, rushing the shot and certain I've missed. "Wasted the last one."

Now in a panic I dig through all of the clothing for my gun belt. Finally pulling out a single round and chamber it. Very intent on the shot I put it high on his shoulder and settle the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger. As the 300 win mag recoils I can see the bull dropping through the scope. And a second later I can hear the dull WHACK of the bullet. He's down....finally.

This is about the same panic attack mixed with adrenaline I experience every year. It's no wonder I miss so much.[:I]

And yes, I do talk out loud to myself!

No, I have never done that.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    7RiverMan7.... Now that sounds like a real hunting story.
    My hunting can be summarized as similar. If I could just get a better
    handle on the buck fever as it reoccurs without fail every season.
    But what would the chase be without it. Cheers!
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to know I'm not alone on this one.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Hunt with Encores and Ruger #1s exclusively. I keep an spare round in my offhand fingers for a follow up shot. I can reload almost as fast as someone can work a bolt action. Takes practice.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

I have never done that...perhaps it's b/c I'm a bow hunter. I honestly believe that bow hunters are better hunters. I have however missed with a bow and had a follow up shot with another arrow. I do have well over 100 whitetails under my belt as well. I killed my first two deer with an old single shot Ithaca and 20 ga pumpkin ball, two days apart and the next year I went to a bow.

Lousy hunter would be more like it when you blame another animal for your lack of hunting prowess when it comes to not being able to find an Elk in a state with well over 100,000 Elk.
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The talk about bow hunting miss's reminded me of one time
    while walking to my stand with bow in hand, I was walking down a sand road through an oak head next to the St. Johns river marsh.
    The road was about twenty yards into the woods, and you
    could see out into the marsh most of the time. It was early
    afternoon, and the sun was to my left as was the marsh,
    as I walked somthing caught my eye and there standing about
    fourty to fifty yard out into the marsh ( total about 70 yds.)
    was a nice small racked eight point standing broadside looking
    at me. I froze and contemplated a shot. I slowly drew my bow
    and let fly, my arrow hit the ground about twenty yds. shy
    of its target, the buck was now looking at the arrow and not
    me, second shot was about ten yds. shy, the buck did not move
    although obviously concerned about that second arrow.
    I knew that if I could get one more shot he was mine.
    Third shot hit the trunk of a horizonal cabbage palm about
    ten feet off the ground, about half way between the deer and I.
    Well that shot sounded like an axe hitting the tree, the
    deer spun in his tracks, now facing the other direction but
    in about the same spot.I then learned how a tree well above
    my line of sight, was right in my line of fire. The buck
    gave me one more shot, I shot over the tree trunk by no more
    than an inch or two, and cleared his back by two or three
    feet, and he made a late but a swift exit. Had not thought
    about that in a long time,I left the ranch a few years later
    and the arrow was still in the tree. It's been twentyfive, or
    thirty years ago, I wonder if the tree is still even there.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honeslty can't remember missing 3x. But then again, I probably shoot 50:1 targets to game, so when it is a game animal, the target is huge. hunting in the woods here makes for a max of 100yds, most likely 50yds or less. When we hunt the fields during the summer (crop damage permits), shots usually start at 300+yds. You learn to trust the laser and click in the elevation/windage.