In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WHy the Hype over Harley Davidsons?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
There has to be better buys for the money.

Ruger270, what do you think?

Mad Dog

Comments

• Druid1Druid1 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    your not really just buying the machine, your buying the name and the experience. Harley's are a one of a kind experience. Basicly if you have to ask you won't ever get it.

the first step to failure is trying
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cant believe it you of all people Travis to put out this in the harsh light of reality. Well I hope you enjoy the fire storm that use to be the forum. [;)]

psalms 16
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] Its not the HYPE Its' a CULT TYPE thing, if you were ever a biker you would understand,kinda like the pre 64 Winchesters they don't do anything more or less than the post 64s but the following is there.[:D] [:D][;)]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old06: Yeah I know, I have asked the same question to all my friends and family that own them.[:D] A few coworkers loved them. They loved them more when they could get them to run. I do not understand the need to make them louder and then wear ear plugs. That is cheating to me. When I had a real loud car stereo I turned up the tunes but I did not wear earplugs.[:D]

Mad Dog
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] The boys at the gun shop are Harley nuts and they all close up shop and go to Daytona each year on the Harleys....[:D]....BUT....this is true...they always take a Honda along in the trailer in case someone breaks down....true story...It makes for some good ribbing every year.[:D] [:D] [:D]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trollin.....trollin......trollin.....rawHIDE......[;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    This must be "do-not-touch subject number two". [8D]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I posted something Bike related some dumb a double s got ignorant as usual so I'm not gonna post anything on here about it this time. The stupid sob doesn't like himself let alone anyone else. I still like most Harleys though[:D][:D][:D] Just not Lowriders[:D][:D][:D]
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I'm staying out of this motorcycle discussion.

And Cletus, you'd better take a hard look in the mirror before you accuse anyone else of being ignorant.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:And Cletus, you'd better take a hard look in the mirror before you accuse anyone else of being ignorant.

Of course I'm ignorant, that simply means I don't.

Stupid is when you ain't gonna find out.

By the way, when I started that thread, I did it because me and Kidd C thought it was funny when you went off on Ruger270man, of course it backfired and you went off on me[:I][:I]
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What get's me is the boys that buy the Jap sh#$# and then run and buy the Live to ride emblems " Wanna Be Hell Angles" and stick it on their bikes. Well hell who gives a snot. if you don't like them don't buy one.
    JW
    POOF

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Id rather buy 4 hondas, give 3 of them to less fortunate kids, and keep one for myself, and still have a better bike. [:)][:D][:D][:D][:D][:p]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Harleys Overrated![:0]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I like the older ones ok. That three speed tranny was just right for hauling my bulk around without all the shifting like on the five speeds. I would like to get a Road King when/if finances ever allow. Easy to build the engine for your particular taste too. Lots of torque cam if you live in the mountains, lots of horse power if you live in the flatlands. There is more to a Harley than looks and mystique. There is a reason they've survived this long you know.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not the bike I have a problem with other than they do not make a bike to fit my riding style. The problem I have is with the snooty owners who will say something like "the only people who complain about them are the ones who canot afford one" or "jap bike riders are just jealous". There is a big attitude running high in the Harley cult that feels that anyone who rides a Jap bike is a lowlife wannabe and only dreams of owning a Harley, well eat my shorts, like i stated before when Harley builds a bike that will perform like a Hyabusa then I will buy one but I'll be damned if I am going to worship it!

That being said, harleys are just too danged slow[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The HOG vs. Jap crap has gotten as hostile and as partisan as the religion and political threads. Count me out. Like the man says:
    "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."

Mudge the HOG driver

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the BMW boxer twin, 1000 cc. That was a great bike. I had the last Goldwing made without bags and windshield, called a "stripper". This was made in 1984. I got it brand new, out of a crate in the back of the dealershhip in 1986, 'cause no one would buy it. That was a great bike, handled great without all that heavy stuff on it.
    I bought a used 1988 Low Rider, 1,700 miles on it. I loved that bike. Looked great, sounded great, rode great. Leaked no oil, had no mechanical problems. The previous owner had removed the pipes and put on straight pipes. First thing I did was put factory pipes back on, I couldn't understand the fascination for straight pipes.
    My buddy told me, Watch out, they will steal your Harley. He had gone into a little restraunt right downtown in our little town, had lunch, and when he came out his Harley had been stolen. He hadn't heard it crank up, so they had picked it up and put it in a pickup truck, apparently.
    After that, I was real nervous about getting my beautiful Harley stolen, and always had to keep it hidden at my house, chained up with a $110 cobra link.
    I couldn't justify the fact that, used, the Harley cost 4 times the Honda. I loved the Harley but not worth the cost or theft worry.

Back when I was a Harley rider, I heard the story of the "Honda Sled".
    A Honda Sled is when a Harley guy and a Honda guy park their bikes together. They chain them together for safety while they go into the bar. The Harley bandits come up and shove the Honda over. Then they lay the Harley gently on top of the Honda. They cable a tow chain to the Honda and drive off, towing their new bike on top of the Honda Sled.
    You can get quite a few miles on the Honda Sled before it is ground into powder, and the guys who are mad at you will be on foot.
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what all the hype about them is either but mine just seems to fit me. It was the bike I have wanted sence i was about 10 years old. The only reason that the new ones cost so much is people are willing to pay the outrageous prices for them. I guess I was lucky to buy mine before the prices went sky-high around here.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    If you have to ask, You don't understand.

Go for a ride on one.

If you still have to ask, You will never understand.

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    It's the name it's a tradition. It's American!!!

It's just right.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although i am not fond of HD'S or a lot of the owners of these machines(attitude) will say they are MUCH better m/c's than they used to be.
    By miles and miles really.
    They have very good paint and i wished more Japanese bikes came with belt drive like HD's.
    I presently own a BMW K75S and have ridden Japanese m/c's for years.
    I also have ridden a few HD'S in my time.
    As a long distance rider i can say for sure there are more HD's out on the open road than ever before but sadly these HD'S riders are in the minority with the majority rarely putting more than 2-3,000 miles a year on their machines if that many miles.

mike
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    I like the older ones ok. That three speed tranny was just right for hauling my bulk around without all the shifting like on the five speeds. I would like to get a Road King when/if finances ever allow. Easy to build the engine for your particular taste too. Lots of torque cam if you live in the mountains, lots of horse power if you live in the flatlands. There is more to a Harley than looks and mystique. There is a reason they've survived this long you know.

Your gonna need that torque in * County.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has an old pan head sitting in his yard! It's been covered up with a tarp and setting in the elements for the last 5 years! I can not get him to sell it, and the stupid snot won't even find some place better to store it!!![:(!]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    Here is something else for you Harley detesters. I do not condone anybody judging someones character based on the scoot they ride or don't ride. We Harley guys get snubbed too. Snubbed by the guys who ride the 30-40 thousand dollar Borquets,(sp) Big Dogs and a host of other "custom" high dollar american muscle. Now alot of these guys must crap dandelions and roses.[;)]

JC

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    A friend of mine has an old pan head sitting in his yard! It's been covered up with a tarp and setting in the elements for the last 5 years! I can not get him to sell it, and the stupid snot won't even find some place better to store it!!![:(!]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!

Pa, this guy oughta be arrested!!

JC

• gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always get a big chuckle out of seeing a real mean looking dude and his ole lady in tow mounting his Hog and hitting the electric start.................real men ride real motorcycles that have kickstarts[}:)]. Sadly we are in a metro-man, girly-man world, but there remains a separation between old time riders and the new weekenders.[;)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    I always get a big chuckle out of seeing a real mean looking dude and his ole lady in tow mounting his Hog and hitting the electric start.................real men ride real motorcycles that have kickstarts[}:)]. Sadly we are in a metro-man, girly-man world, but there remains a separation between old time riders and the new weekenders.[;)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
    Harley's had kickstarts? When was that, back during the Truman administration.[:D]

JC

• FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK I'll bite on this. Most here dont know me. I have been riding Harleys for more years than I care to count. I have more than a few, Only one new one. a twin cam flht bagger, I hate the bike.

25 years ago things were a whole lot different than today. Then it was a few of us into the Harleys because we wanted to ride an American motorcycle. We worked on em to keep them running and we did things to make them loud. I think part of the greasy biker image came from that, heck a lot of times you had to screw with the bike a little when you were out and about and damned if you didnt get some grime on ya.

Today it is just the "in" thing to do. the bikes are good that is a no brainer. It is not the bike, but the riders these days. I cant stand the new wave of rider, he throws a leg over the saddle of a harley and instantly thinks he is the American badass. Every piece of clothing he wears says Harley on it somewhere, makes me wanna puke. They lay out the money and think they can buy into a lifestyle they no nothing about. I would not wear a piece of clothing that say's harley on it ever again. I threw it all out about ten years ago.

Sorry gettin off subject here. Yes the Harleys are overated. Aircolled twin is as about as old as the hills. You are paying huge amounts of money and getting less. My 2002 twin cam flht has given me mucho problems, so much so that my next new bike will be another brand. I will still hang on to my antique harleys. I pick up a new touring bike every 4 or 5 years,always a Harley. You can bet your bottom dollar the next new one wont be a Harley.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first bike (a '51 Indian) of course had a kicker. Good thing the electric starts came out. These old legs won't do it anymore. Tried to kick one a few months back and totally embarassed myself.
    In my ute, yhough....

Mudge the geezer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    potatapotatapotatapotatapotatapotatapotata
    -Hank Hill
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Everybody rides what they like. I went through ten or twelve other makes- Japanese, British, and German, before I started messing around with HD. I had the most trouble with the Japanese models. They were great for a couple years, while they were new. Really fast. Then, it was adjustment of multiple valves, carburetors, and cam chains. Often. Ridiculous. Grew out of that nonsense quickly. The British bikes were fun, but rattletraps- stuff fell off every time I took a turn around the block. The German bikes were well-made and durable, just not too pretty.

I built my present scoot, took me two years. Its my fourth big twin. Had it for twelve years now. It was sixteen years old when I got it. Sure is slow. Funny, as you get older, you get to where it's more fun to cruise along and enjoy the view. Can't imagine someone being too inept to be able to work on a two cylinder, four valve, lawn mower engine. Engine's got more than 150,000 miles on it, runs great. Don't seem to see very many 28 year old Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas with 150K on them running around out there. See a lot of guys pulling into the various Japanese dealers for those $150.00 tune ups, though. Lots of folks on the new lipstick choppers doing the same. My last tune up cost me less than $20.00. Almost half of that was beer. Took about an hour.

Yeah, HD is really over-rated all right...
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    JC

You know how svelte and trim I am. I'm here to tell ya' my XLCH will throw my sorry * over the bars if she don't like how I'm kicking her. Somtimes I wish for an electric starter.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster

I built my present scoot, took me two years..

Can't imagine someone being too inept to be able to work on a two cylinder, four valve, lawn mower engine.,,,
    My last tune up cost me less than $20.00. Almost half of that was beer. Took about an hour.

Yeah, HD is really over-rated all right...

Huu yeah right skippy.[:o)] Tuned up that old harley side valve for less than 20 bucks eh? Must be a side valve (flathead in case you dont know) they are the only ones even remotly close to a lawn mower engine.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I attempted to build a shovelhead from swap meet parts, but kept getting so many stolen numbered parts[jugs,frames, you name it]that I gave up and sold it all. Rode an '83 shovel that I really liked and an old iron head sporty that would really *. Now I just want a fat,slow bike with a soft cushy seat and a rubber mounted engine. I still have my 79 Goldwing that is the best on long hauls.

• hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by greeker375
    JC

You know how svelte and trim I am. I'm here to tell ya' my XLCH will throw my sorry * over the bars if she don't like how I'm kicking her. Somtimes I wish for an electric starter.

been there done that. always when there was an audiance to see it happen.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all in the name. The way of American society. Some name brands really do mean superior quality but most just mean you're paying a 500% mark up to have that little logo on the product you just bought.
  • RoughrdrRoughrdr Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When folks see me puttering around on my former basket case 56 Pan, they always ask me why I don't buy a new one when they know I could at any time.

I like the older bikes, fairly easy for this longtime gearhead to work on with realatively simple hand tools.

Love the 4 speed and shin breaker too.

Don't like the hardtail (wishbone) as much anymore, the kidneys are starting to show sign of aging.

What has been said B4 on the new ages of week end wannabes is deluting the lore of the Harley, and you have to punk down stupid money for a lousy machine, and then there is the clothing you "Must" buy in order to be with the "IN" crowd. It makes me sick to be at the same cruise as them jerks.

sasslogo.gifstamp.jpg
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Well, Mr Head- mind if I call you Flat, for short? I used the lawnmower analogy to illustrate the simplicity of the design, of course.

If you are not able to purchase 2 spark plugs and a set of points & condenser for $20.00, I'll be happy to provide you with directions to where I go.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Whatever floats your boat, I say. It's a free country, well it used to be. But, if my car was as loud as HALF of the HDs that pull up beside me at a stop light and then rev their motors (to keep them from shutting down, I presume)I would be sitting on a pile of tickets. Will somebody who is a Harley fan say why they have to be so LOUD?
    edited November -1
    LOUD pipes save lives. We are much smaller than our 4 wheel counterparts. If ya cant see us ya just might hear us!![:D]

JC