In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WHy the Hype over Harley Davidsons?

2»

Comments

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    First of all many have alredy stated the obvious, "If you have to ask, you will never understand."

Now comparing a rice grinder to a Harley is like comparing a Jennings to Colt 1911A1.[}:)] That Jennings does make a great fishing line sinker when it wears out but the 1911A1 never completely wears out, always parts to fix them up. That Jennings will be worth about $25 after you buy it for $50 but the 1911A1 will always be worth what you gave for it. Now just replace Jennings in the above sentences with Honda, Kaw., Suzuki. or Yahama and replace the 1911A1 with H-D and you might have the jest of it!

I gave $6750 for my 85 FLHT in 1990 and it had 1304 miles on it. Over the years I have spent maybe $3000 on chrome, $1000 in repairs (including tires which cost $400 to replace both), but I have a standing offer of $15,000 for it at any time! I am spending around $1500 to $2000 on her this spring to add a bit more chrome and to increase my HP to almost double! By the way, owning a H-d is in the blood for many of us. I rode my first one in the 60s and owned my first one in the early 70s as a teenager. I have owned rice grinders as well so I reckon I can say which is best. Never have i ever sold a rice grinder and got what I payed fo it. Never have I sold an HD and got less than what I paid.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My big brother had a unique Harley. It was a one cylinder Harley 350. He bought it back in 1972 or so. The thing was orange.
    I can't remember if it was well built or not. He didn't ride it long enough for it to break down, at 1,000 miles he totaled it, used the insurance money to buy a Kawasiki Mach 3 500.
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with ya Roughrdr, Dont ya just love it when you roll up to a stop light on an Indian and some yuppie biker pulls alongside on his new evo and ask's " Hey what year is that Harley" LOL.Or you are on the pan and they ask is that a factory custom?? I have a 51 pan in my collection, It is a good rider all original except the tires.

Two plugs and a set of points eh?
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Harley's are pretty bikes but not worth $18,000 dollars.

Larry
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I ride a Harley, you ride whatever you want, just don't slam my bike and I won't slam yours!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    If it has two wheels --- RIDE IT! I don't care what it is.

Frankly I ride Pilsner Burner BMW. That is does not stand for Big Mean Woman either!!! Although it is ugly, it gets me there and in record time and comfort -- even my old 77 BMW does the trick.

I have had the rice burners, the oil drippers, road the meatball scooter and love them all -- but anything with a little German Engineering and I go ga ga. Yeah das ist mein Fraulien!! Ommpa!!

I love it when things get slow and someone takes a poke at HD -- even though I don't have one any more it is an American Icon and besides, sleezy chicks dig them!!!

You guys crack me up[:D]
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] [:D][:D] [:D] [:D] YA ALL JEST GO GET A SIX PACK AND RENT EASY RIDER AND CHILLOUT...[:D] [:D] [:D][;)]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey!
    I've got two hogs, so I have at least a little history on my side when I say: Harley is hype. Love to ride em, they look and sound so cool. But when it comes to high quality machining and the ability to hold tolerance, no way. I owe no loyality to a name brand or group of owners that worship an icon. My Hondas never broke down or required oil dry in the garage. Harley Davidson isn't perfect and you are not a bad * just because you got a pony tail and ride one.
    I am seriously considering selling mine for a touring machine. [^]