In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My New airplane

2»

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an old friend tell me about the Rotax engines,that they had an oil seize problem...Something to do with oil injection.....[:(]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, it almost has a real aeroplane panel.
    I don't trust two stroke engines in airplanes worth a hoot.
    It appears the builder was conscious and installed CHT & EGT gages.
    I'd install duplicate CHT & EGT gages instead of that transfer switch and monitor them religiously. You have room.
    Also, a turn and bank is more valid than a rate of climb for basic flying. Coordinated turns are critical in slow flight to avoid stall-spins. I do like the low range airspeed indicator.
    I was tempted for a similar if not the same model airplane, recently but declined even though it was a zero time airplane & engine.
    One forgets turbulence and issues with low power and wing loading.
    There is an annual fabric punch test on fabric airplanes.
    Find out about it.
    Practice slips.
    Always be prepared for the noise to stop.
    Good luck & enjoy it.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to consider a parachute kit for it. A little added security.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to figure out the 50 BMG wing mounts and the belly rocket launchers after I get her home. [:p]

The BGS parachute system is spendy but on the agenda....
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine that just retired has a Kitfox. He is making a cross US trip. Hope he get over the Rockies ok.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    A friend of mine that just retired has a Kitfox. He is making a cross US trip. Hope he get over the Rockies ok.

He better plan on going through passes; he will need oxygen above 12,000 feet and the power of the engine will be way down at that altitude.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has taken his UL aircraft from Calif to Oskosh and back 3 times. Its a two seater, but I don't recall the make. He has hosted fly-ins at his little ranch desert many times. I flew out there for one of them but had to land at the Yucca Valley Airport as my Cessna was too big for his little dirt strip.

One of his attendees was returning from one of those get-togethers in his ultralite and got upside down by the winds in the Banning Pass. He had a parachute, but deployed it too late and was killed.