In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Compromise is Losing Slowly

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
Compromise is losing half. You lose half in this battle. You lose half of the remaining half in the next battle, and so on and so forth.

In other words, compromise is losing slowly.

Well put, James, well put.
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed 100%.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    But! What happens when the other side agrees to your compromise instead of you agreeing to thiers?[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    But! What happens when the other side agrees to your compromise instead of you agreeing to thiers?[}:)]
    What is gained? If I lower the standard, and they accept, I have still lowered the standard.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So does that mean that the founding fathers, who had to put together a rather large number of compromises in order to create the Constitution, were a group of losers, and we all lost by its creation?
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    So does that mean that the founding fathers, who had to put together a rather large number of compromises in order to create the Constitution, were a group of losers, and we all lost by its creation?

And the argument that you lose half, means that BOTH sides lose half. Don't both sides WIN half, too?

Half a loaf is better...etc.?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:What is gained? If I lower the standard, and they accept, I have still lowered the standard.

NO! you have raised their standards to your minimum.. Therefor you have won.. Next time, you may get the entire Pie..[;)]

My glass is Half full!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So Mr. Perfect, are you suggesting that all compromise in inherently wrong, and you will never compromise, since that necessitates losing?

I don't agree that compromise means losing...so I disagree with James here.

I think compromise allows me to advance toward my goal...because I'll have more than I did before the compromise. I'm using "compromise" as a synonym for "agreement". I wouldn't MAKE the compromise if it wasn't in my interest.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I am sure a great number of folks at the time would have thought this way, including many of those involved in the process.

The point now is that for 220 years we have continued to compromise on that original compromise. The original compromise supposedly established the fixed law of the land, only to be changed by a super-majority of the legislatures of the States. We have instead embarked upon, and many have accepted, a simple-majority method of compromising those previously compromised principles.

Obviously anyone has the right to agree with the current emasculation of the 2nd Amendment. They do not have the right, nor does any Government have the legal power to enforce that view upon anyone else. The fact that Congress and State Legislatures, with the full blessing of the Supreme Court, can infringe at will upon the clear wording of the operative clause of the 2nd demonstrates that the rule of law is 100% fungible in today's America. It also demonstrates that the vast majority of voters are willing to surrender that principle for personal convenience and a false sense of security.

That a man who once swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution accepts this compromise of principle is disturbing. Not only in the general sense of acceptance of anti-Constitutional restrictions, but in the larger sense that the most powerful military on the planet is probably manned by folks that may accept a version of the Constitution that exists only in U.S. and State Legal Code.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

I am sure a great number of folks at the time would have thought this way, including many of those involved in the process.

The point now is that for 220 years we have continued to compromise on that original compromise. The original compromise supposedly established the fixed law of the land, only to be changed by a super-majority of the legislatures of the States. We have instead embarked upon, and many have accepted, a simple-majority method of compromising those previously compromised principles.

Obviously anyone has the right to agree with the current emasculation of the 2nd Amendment. They do not have the right, nor does any Government have the legal power to enforce that view upon anyone else. The fact that Congress and State Legislatures, with the full blessing of the Supreme Court, can infringe at will upon the clear wording of the operative clause of the 2nd demonstrates that the rule of law is 100% fungible in today's America. It also demonstrates that the vast majority of voters are willing to surrender that principle for personal convenience and a false sense of security.

That a man who once swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution accepts this compromise of principle is disturbing. Not only in the general sense of acceptance of anti-Constitutional restrictions, but in the larger sense that the most powerful military on the planet is probably manned by folks that may accept a version of the Constitution that exists only in U.S. and State Legal Code.
    Pure obfuscation of the statement.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's not hard to see why some here have been married so many times if they truly believe that the art of compromise is inherently that of losing.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An inability to compromise will guarantee a 2nd term for Obama.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Yow! Good one!
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Wow... can you tell a lot of folks here grew up as part of the "Me" Generation?

"Compromise is losing slowly!"

So you should always get exactly what you want! Because you're oh so special!

Compromise is part of being an adult. You make your choices and you live with them. It means getting what's important to you, not everything you want.

Children and babies don't compromise because they don't know how. They whine and pout and cry and kick and scream until they get their way... which apparently seemed to do a bunch of folks just fine because they're still acting like it's perfectly okay to fill a diaper and have someone else change it for them.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Compromise is losing half. You lose half in this battle. You lose half of the remaining half in the next battle, and so on and so forth.

Compromise is also wining half. You win half in this battle. You win half of the remaining half in the next battle, and so on and so forth.

I seriously question how many of you keyboard commandoes have the courage of your convictions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat

Yow! Good one!

It's just a fact....

If conservatives can't come together to support one candidate, that will ensure Obama wins. Single issue voters that won't vote for Mitt because he's Mormon, or Guiliani because he is not militantly pro-life, or Christi because he is weak on the 2nd Am. or who ever for what ever single issue reason.

It seems to me that's why the Libs have been so successful. Because they compromise on candidates to get the overall goal achieved, which is a Lib majority.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compromise in the case of the Second Amendment it isn't about we get half of what we want. All we want is less interpretation and more compliance with the Constitution.

When a group of politicians wants to overturn the Second Amendment and we only agree to a partial overturn, how can that be call a partial win by any definition.

And dlrjj, I don't know what it has to do with the subject, but for what it's worth I've been married to the same woman for forty-seven years. I'm a man, by the way. Traditional marriage.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a question please:

A compromise in the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 was a sunset clause. Given the political climate of the time, was the sunset clause a loss or a win in your opinion?

Please note, I am not interested in your opinion of the AWB itself. This is a gunboard. Enough said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Compromise in the case of the Second Amendment it isn't about we get half of what we want. All we want is less interpretation and more compliance with the Constitution.

When a group of politicians wants to overturn the Second Amendment and we only agree to a partial overturn, how can that be call a partial win by any definition.

And dlrjj, I don't know what it has to do with the subject, but for what it's worth I've been married to the same woman for forty-seven years. I'm a man, by the way. Traditional marriage.

I believe I stated "some here", not a specific reference to anyone.

Our marriage will soon be 40 years, and well worth it, despite the continuing compromises made along the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CDMead
    I have a question please:

A compromise in the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 was a sunset clause. Given the political climate of the time, was the sunset clause a loss or a win in your opinion?

Please note, I am not interested in your opinion of the AWB itself. This is a gunboard. Enough said.
    Your question presumes that the climate of the time would have accepted the AWB carte blanche. Nothing could be further from the truth. The fact of the matter is the Negotiable Rights Association had the votes and power at the time to say, "pass this law and we will have 1 million armed members on your door". Instead, they chose to compromise. How lovely.[xx(]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So Mr. Perfect, are you suggesting that all compromise in inherently wrong, and you will never compromise, since that necessitates losing?

I don't agree that compromise means losing...so I disagree with James here.

I think compromise allows me to advance toward my goal...because I'll have more than I did before the compromise. I'm using "compromise" as a synonym for "agreement". I wouldn't MAKE the compromise if it wasn't in my interest.
    When it is a matter of principle yes, all compromises on matters of principle are "losing", which, incidentally, is the subject of the OP.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's not hard to see why some here have been married so many times if they truly believe that the art of compromise is inherently that of losing.
    It should be noted that the legal contract of marriage requires mutual commitment, since any one partner may dissolve the marriage, even against the wishes and will of the other. So, I don't think that your sophism holds much water.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yow! Good one!

It's just a fact....

If conservatives can't come together to support one candidate, that will ensure Obama wins. Single issue voters that won't vote for Mitt because he's Mormon, or Guiliani because he is not militantly pro-life, or Christi because he is weak on the 2nd Am. or who ever for what ever single issue reason.

It seems to me that's why the Libs have been so successful. Because they compromise on candidates to get the overall goal achieved, which is a Lib majority.

Compromise will get us romney, guiliani, or christi. None of which is a conservative. Banding together and voting for a liberal will get us a liberal.

BTW, have you noticed recently that Ron Paul's uncompromising messages are getting parroted by the mainstream republicans? One man sticking to his principles is having a heck of an effect by not compromising.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Yow! Good one!

It's just a fact....

Compromise will get us romney, guiliani, or christi. None of which is a conservative. Banding together and voting for a liberal will get us a liberal.

BTW, have you noticed recently that Ron Paul's uncompromising messages are getting parroted by the mainstream republicans? One man sticking to his principles is having a heck of an effect by not compromising.

Ron Paul isn't going to get nominated, and he knows it. So he can afford to be uncompromising, because he has nothing to lose.

As I said earlier, not compromising will lead to Obama getting re-elected. If sticking to your political ideals is more important, then by all means don't compromise. But don't wonder why Obama will complete his destruction of America over an additional 4 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Yow! Good one!

It's just a fact....

Sorry, open primaries and Rush Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos" got us Obama and McCain. When everyone votes for the worst candidate of the other party hoping to find a beatable opponent, the country looses.

Ron Paul's biggest enemy is Ron Paul. He reads well, but an in person speech comes off as a bit, well frankly, looney.
  • Options
    edited November -1

B.S.!!

Compromise if the only way to get things done. It is what the people want, it is how the nation was formed, it is how we are supposed to view governance via the Constitution and it is 'reality'.

You no-tolerance/no-compromise folks are exactly what is wrong with America. We NEED to adopt gradual collectivism to make things better and to make things work.

After all, the Constitution was written over 200 years ago and things are different now.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Compromise is also wining half. You win half in this battle. You win half of the remaining half in the next battle, and so on and so forth.

I suppose this is true if your goal is to diminish the principled stance of another. I do find it surprising the number of folks on this forum who lack integrity.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once the Constitution was adopted, it became a set framework, based on a specific ethic of liberty and limited government. There is an Amendment Process for changes, if any are deemed necessary.

Other than that, there is no room for compromise on constitutional issues. Anything else is a usurpation
  • Options
    edited November -1

I suppose this is true if your goal is to diminish the principled stance of another. I do find it surprising the number of folks on this forum who lack integrity.

So now you are the expert on integrity, are you? You're over the line, "Mr. I AM PERFECT, BOW TO ME." That's a ridiculous, insulting statement, even for you. You should be ashamed. [:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You may claim I lack integrity, but I have managed to maintain at least a semblance of something I care about, and you're lying in a ditch.

Good luck with that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Compromise is perfectly appropriate in a marriage or relationship and in other aspects of life. We can compromise on where to vacation, what restaurant to eat at, what kind of vehicle to buy, what color drapes to hang, what color paint to use, what house to purchase, etc...

Fundamental principles, one's integrity, one's ethic and textual constitutional issues are not included in acceptable 'compromise'.

An apples and platypus comparison has been drawn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You may claim I lack integrity, but I have managed to maintain at least a semblance of something I care about, and you're lying in a ditch.

Good luck with that.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you personally lack integrity. It was more a general observation. But I am glad to see your colors shining through now, as well.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

So now you are the expert on integrity, are you? You're over the line, "Mr. I AM PERFECT, BOW TO ME." That's a ridiculous, insulting statement, even for you. You should be ashamed. [:(!]
    reread the entire thread, and you will see that I suggested nothing of the sort. Are you merely projecting, or are you the dog that is barking from my stone being cast over the fence?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    Once the Constitution was adopted, it became a set framework, based on a specific ethic of liberty and limited government. There is an Amendment Process for changes, if any are deemed necessary.

Other than that, there is no room for compromise on constitutional issues. Anything else is a usurpation

Another agree 100%.

I am actually shocked that so many can't see the compromises that have taken place since that document was created,........even though it involved 'compromise' to create, are what is destroying this Constitutional Republic.

These compromises have been taking place for many years.
    IF only we had stuck to the original meaning. All of the years of chipping away are really starting to show now.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If sticking to your political ideals is more important, then by all means don't compromise. But don't wonder why Obama will complete his destruction of America over an additional 4 years.Oh my! The paradigm of the lesser turd raises its stinky head...

Compromising and settling on a Romney, Perry, Cain etc., will ensure the destruction of America in 5-8 or so more years. A bit slower, but just as certain.

So then, what to do...

I guess that I'll just stick to my uncompromising ethic of individualism, liberty and constitutionally-limited government.

That'll likely lead to another write-in or a third party vote if a constitutionalist is available.

Freedom and individual choice are wonderful things, eh?[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that Dred Scott decision was a real pain, wasn't it?

I hope none of you self righteous non compromising winners never have to face a real Kobiashi Maru scenario.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:If sticking to your political ideals is more important, then by all means don't compromise. But don't wonder why Obama will complete his destruction of America over an additional 4 years.Oh my! The paradigm of the lesser turd raises its stinky head...

Compromising and settling on a Romney, Perry, Cain etc., will ensure the destruction of America in 5-8 or so more years. A bit slower, but just as certain.

So then, what to do...

I guess that I'll just stick to my uncompromising ethic of individualism, liberty and constitutionally-limited government.

That'll likely lead to another write-in or a third party vote if a constitutionalist is available.

Freedom and individual choice are wonderful things, eh?[:)]

Unfortunately "The paradigm of the lesser turd raises its stinky head..." has been present in American politics long before you or I were alive.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Compromising is what lead to his first term.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3rHREB4ooc

Ya'll need to chill out; just my worthless opinion.

Debate is one thing and nothing to get your panties in a wad over.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    Here's a compromise for you.

You expect your wife to be faithful to you/forsaking all others. Your wife would like to sleep with the guy next door whenever she desires to do so. Do you compromise and allow her to screw him on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Something will be half full.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that Dred Scott decision was a real pain, wasn't it?

I hope none of you self righteous non compromising winners never have to face a real Kobiashi Maru scenario.
    Oh My, a constitutional compromise-advocator AND a Trekkie to boot.[:0]

I thought that we passed an Amendment (which is the appropriate process) that addressed citizenship for black-folk.....Hmmm, what was that one.....