In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Compromise is Losing Slowly

2»

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:If sticking to your political ideals is more important, then by all means don't compromise. But don't wonder why Obama will complete his destruction of America over an additional 4 years.Oh my! The paradigm of the lesser turd raises its stinky head...

Compromising and settling on a Romney, Perry, Cain etc., will ensure the destruction of America in 5-8 or so more years. A bit slower, but just as certain.

So then, what to do...

I guess that I'll just stick to my uncompromising ethic of individualism, liberty and constitutionally-limited government.

That'll likely lead to another write-in or a third party vote if a constitutionalist is available.

Freedom and individual choice are wonderful things, eh?[:)]

Unfortunately "The paradigm of the lesser turd raises its stinky head..." has been present in American politics long before you or I were alive.

Well, I see the 'paradigm' as having directly led us to our current f'd-up state and as something that needs to be eradicated, thus, I am on a quest to confront it at every turn and contrast it with constitutionalism.

Others, including you, seem to be of a mind that since it clearly exists, we must live with it and therefore you continue to advocate for it.

No thanks, I pass.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson
    Here's a compromise for you.

You expect your wife to be faithful to you/forsaking all others. Your wife would like to sleep with the guy next door whenever she desires to do so. Do you compromise and allow her to screw him on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Something will be half full.

The compromise is that she can screw him whenever she wants, and I get a divorce. I win in that I don't have to pay alimony, I lose in that I know have to look for another wife (wait--did I really lose then?). She wins in that she gets to screw the guy. She loses in that she gets no alimony and is out one husband. If it's worth it, she'll take that compromise. If it's not worth it, she won't.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    Pure obfuscation of the statement.

Oh, you were serious?

The compromises made in 1787 were necessary to get 13 Sovereign Colonies/States to ratify the Constitution. Once made, they are behind us, and the law of the land is established.

Compromises made after that date have been for political convenience or expedience. There is no comparison between up-front compromises to establish the rules and subsequent compromises that diminish them.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you compromise liberty, on any level, you lose. It's that simple.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    If you compromise liberty, on any level, you lose. It's that simple.

Just by having GOVERNMENT you compromise liberty. You're no longer free to do whatever you feel. And that's a price I happily pay to live in a society like ours. I don't think it's too much to pay.

If I commit a heinous crime, I even give the Govt the right to end my LIFE. Not to mention incarcerate me, taking my liberty. AND both of those will put a damper on my pursuit of happiness. I guess I better just follow the rules. That's the price I am willing to pay--obeying the laws.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Oh, you were serious?

The compromises made in 1787 were necessary to get 13 Sovereign Colonies/States to ratify the Constitution. Once made, they are behind us, and the law of the land is established.

Compromises made after that date have been for political convenience or expedience. There is no comparison between up-front compromises to establish the rules and subsequent compromises that diminish them.
    As I said on another thread, it's been downhill since John Hanson.[:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Just by having GOVERNMENT you compromise liberty. Those compromises ended upon the adoption of the Constitution and BOR's. Other compromises that are made via the Amendment Process, outlined in, you guessed it, the Constitution, are perfectly constitutional.

Outside of that, the rules are established and those who desire and advocate changes, restriction and increased control, outside of the amendment process, are flat wrong and are seen, by me, as enemies of liberty and of the Republic.

So, there we have it. You have the freedom to accept and advocate incremental tyranny. I have the freedom to call it as I see it.

Ain't America wonderful?[:)][:D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

BTW, have you noticed recently that Ron Paul's uncompromising messages are getting parroted by the mainstream republicans? One man sticking to his principles is having a heck of an effect by not compromising.

I applaud Ron Paul for running and injecting his ideas and philosophies into the debate. Its a good thing to cause the other candidates to respond to his various positions. Though I don't agree with some of his positions.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Oh, you were serious?

Oh yes, Mr. Hanson...our first black President.[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Oh, you were serious?

Someone better inform Billy boy Clinton!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1

Oh, you were serious?

LOL!
    220px-John_Hanson_%28Black_Senator%29.jpg
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Ron Paul isn't going to get nominated, and he knows it. So he can afford to be uncompromising, because he has nothing to lose.

As I said earlier, not compromising will lead to Obama getting re-elected. If sticking to your political ideals is more important, then by all means don't compromise. But don't wonder why Obama will complete his destruction of America over an additional 4 years.
    Does it really matter whether the destruction is completed by Obama or Romney? Should I care who's at the helm when the ship hits the sand?
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Just by having GOVERNMENT you compromise liberty. Those compromises ended upon the adoption of the Constitution and BOR's. Other compromises that are made via the Amendment Process, outlined in, you guessed it, the Constitution, are perfectly constitutional.

Outside of that, the rules are established and those who desire and advocate changes, restriction and increased control, outside of the amendment process, are flat wrong and are seen, by me, as enemies of liberty and of the Republic.

So, there we have it. You have the freedom to accept and advocate incremental tyranny. I have the freedom to call it as I see it.

Ain't America wonderful?[:)][:D]
    Exactly!

The Bill of Rights could have been called the List of Liberties Which Will Not Be Compromised.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not hard to see why some here have been married so many times if they truly believe that the art of compromise is inherently that of losing.
    Compromise is perfectly appropriate in a marriage or relationship and in other aspects of life. We can compromise on where to vacation, what restaurant to eat at, what kind of vehicle to buy, what color drapes to hang, what color paint to use, what house to purchase, etc...

Fundamental principles, one's integrity, one's ethic and textual constitutional issues are not included in acceptable 'compromise'.

An apples and platypus comparison has been drawn.

The original post was a simple declarative statement that compromise is losing.

My response is and was to that statement, and attempts by those usual posters who wish to obfuscate any issue possible with smoke and mirrors, and a generous dollop of straw men, simply because they enjoy the exercise, are clearly figments of their desire to press an agenda and distort an issue.

Any reference to the 2nd, amendment was made by other than me, but to be expected.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Compromise is losing half. You lose half in this battle. You lose half of the remaining half in the next battle, and so on and so forth.

In other words, compromise is losing slowly.

Well put, James, well put.

Compromise is losing slowly is merely a way of looking at things, not unlike saying The glass is half-empty or Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die. As such, the remark is an expression of personal mood or sentiment, not a presentation of a hypothesis.

Of course, one can agree with the sentiment, but that is not the same thing as confirming a hypothesis; there is a vast epistemic difference between what is true and what is true for you.