In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer question

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    computer question.

My new motherboard will not have anay ide/pata cable ports so I will be in need of an adapter like the one listed below. The stats list dvd/cd-rom drives and what not; but my question is will this adapter work on and convert pata floppy drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12-232-002&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1
    edited November -1
    Someone gave me a laptop that has windows vista on it. Problem is the person that put vista on it didn't have the code and of course it shut down after 30 days. I can get into safe mode. What would it take to put a legal vista on it? If I can repair it my grand son will get it.
    edited November -1
    I need to a run diagnostics on my computer...In the book it says to open up Pc Doctor to do this...My problem is that it came with windows 2000 in it and has been upgraded to Xp pro... Tried to open Pc Doctor and it doesn't exit..Does Xp pro call it something else???
    edited November -1
    Can a camera you use on your computer be used to load its images to your computer to be saved? To put it another way can it be used as a security camera?
    edited November -1
    How do I get to the "CONTROL PANEL" in Win. 8.1.
    I have been there before but have totally forgotten.
    Thanks in advance.
    edited November -1
    I can't remember my windows password on one of my computers and need to either disable the password funtion or bypass it in order to log onto my network system. Is there anyway I can change my password without remembering my old one or is there some way I can disable the password funtion. I have had to do this before but cannot for the life of me remember what steps I took to disable the password. HELP!

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
    edited November -1
    Is there any way to see and view what has been printed from the internet or from the computer recently?

Thanks,
    Bill
    edited November -1
    i have dial up at home [V] and just got dsl at work [:D] but my labtop wont seem to connect with the dsl its keeps looking for the dial up how do i convert it? thanks in advance
    edited November -1
    Down loaded ie8 about four weeks ago and have had nothing but trouble since. Main thing is a very slow computer. I can reset and it speeds up for a couple of hours. I think I was running ie6 and was happy but bought into the newer/better thing. If I delete ie8 will ie6 still be there?
    edited November -1
    computer question:

I had to replace a case fan in my computer cause I heard a weird noise and determined a blade is cracked. The bummer is that is was in a tediuos metal enclosure and you had the take off and install so may hard to reach screws to replace the fan.

Long story short; I do not know if I accidently shorted out the board or if its a hard-drive problem, but when I go to start up my computer it comes to the screen that says press 'del' for setup, ctrl + z for ez flash bios etc.... When that screen appeares it just stays there for an abnormally length of time. It would only stay on that screen for 2-3 seconds at most, not it can take two to three minuters or longer to get to the WIN 7 welcome screen.

The odd thing is every function on my computer seems to be fine, just the start-up takes waaaay too long.

Did I short out a component?

Is my hard-drive to blame?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I have my HD split into 2 partitions, and I did a clean install of the partition where the OS is, but the same problem still occurs.
    edited November -1
    hi
    computer started runnin REALLy slow yesterday.
    did all the disc clean up and defrag, closed all programs, did virus scan etc, but no luck.
    today I did system restore to 1/1/09 and now everything is back to normal.
    this all started when the mrs was searching for something on the internet.[B)]
    anyway, is there a way to find out what is different (programs etc) between 1/1/09 and 1/7/09 so i can delete it?
    thanks!
    tom
    BTW I am a computer idiot, so please keep it simple![:)]
    edited November -1
    Can an upgrade version of windows vista be installed on an windows xp OS or do I need the full version?

I was looking at amazon dott kom and I saw vista home premium [old version]; what exactly is old version?
    edited November -1
    can you put 2 different video cards in a computer when they're from different mfrs and use totally different drivers?

right now I do have 2 vid cards with a monitor on each one, everything works fine cuz they're both from the same mfr and use the same driver.

but I got this mongo 21" monitor that can do a 2048x1536 resolution, and neither of my vid cards can do that. so I want to swap 1 card with a newer one. no vid cards are available that use the same driver as what I'm using right now. so it will be different. I don't want to replace both cards.

would it work?
    edited November -1
    posting this on a older p/c my current use one today when I turned it on will start normal then go to a blank screen nothing if I start in safe mode it will come up as it should in safe mode. I have started up a couple times under repair mode but still the same just a blank screen . any one help out
    thanks
    edited November -1
    This hurts the pride a bit since I'm a computer tech, but recently my wife somehow got only one of our cd-rom's views set like this:

cdrom.jpg

I've tried resetting the view, I've tried going to the other views and "apply to all folders"... Nothing! It is simply seperated by alpha letters and I don't see where that's an option. She thought she clicked by the name column in the normal view to sort by name. All I know is I've never seen this in all my years as a tech... [V]
    edited November -1
    I have been trying to delete some of my saved favorits and they keep returning. I have windows xp home. I have tryed atleast 5 times to delete them and the next time I turn on the computer they reapear in my favorites again. Does anybody have any ideas as to what's causing this to happen? I did a defrag last night and backed up the registry and operation system and that didn't help either. I need some help with this. Thanks Gary
    edited November -1
    The bearings are going bad on my laptop graphics card cooling fan so that it's making a really annoying buzzing sound.

How likely am I to burn up the graphics card if I run the computer without the fan for a couple weeks until a replacement arrives?

Thanks in advance
    edited November -1
    Hi, I'm getting this pop-up while in internet explorer:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer

? NOTICE: IF your computer has errors in the registry database or file system, it could cause unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes and crashes.
    Fixing these errors can increase your computer's performance and prevent data loss.

Would you like to install WinFixer 2005 to check your computer for free? (Recommended)

OK Cancel

When I try to back out of this box I am sent directly to the Winfixer website. This happens all the time I have tried to get rid of it with anti-virus and anti-spyware to no avail. Is this Winfixer something I should try or stay away from. I don't trust it at all. Any suggestions or warning are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill

BNRVA@aol.comwww.vcdl.org
    edited November -1
    I am running XP PRO operating system and my computer boots up slower than fog off of hen s---! Anyway around all the boot up crap that is slowing it down? Thanks
    edited November -1
    If I know an IP address, but don't know the website, how do I access that IP address? The reason I ask is, my firewall shows me the IP address of people who try to hack in my PC, and I would like to ping them back just to let them know I know they're trying to look in.

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    Wife and I are the administrators on the computer. The kids have limited accounts. One of the kids has found a way to make their "My Documents" folder invisible to us.

We can still navigate to the folder by rooting around in the C drive so it is no big deal but I am baffled as to why it won't show up for me,I can't get it to show up under "My Computer" with the rest of the "My Documents" folders.

All the accounts are set to show ALL files. Any ideas?

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
    edited November -1
    Okay, computer geeks, here's one for ya....

I've got a PC with Rambus memory in it. What's on board is Rambus (RDRAM) 184 pin PC600 (400MHz) memory boards. I want to add memory. However, I cannot find PC600 boards to add, only PC800 (800MHz) RDRAM memory. Will the PC800 memory work?

I've talked to 4-5 different companies/people and gotten 4-5 different answers. What say you?

FCD

"Fortes et liber"
    edited November -1
    Computer question.

Is a 1250W power supply too much for a computer?

In case your wondering I will be running two BDR drives, 5 120mm fans, 2 harddrives in raid array, 6 mem slots and a two way SLI video cards.
    edited November -1
    I'm getting another computer that's the same make and model I have now. I have recovery disc but what I want to do is turn the new one into a twin with exactly the same stuff that is in this one.

Is there a way with cables or data discs to download from #1 to #2?

Keep it simple as I'm an idiot on this stuff.
    edited November -1
    What is a UTF-8 URL?
    edited November -1
    I use Microsoft Office 2007 (Microsoft Word and Excel). When I installed Office 2007 I was using Microsoft Works 2000 (Word Processor and Spreadsheet). I didn't know if there would be a conflict between them so I cleaned out Microsoft Works before I installed Microsoft Office.

Now I have the same problem in reverse. I have some archived files that Office 2007 can't open because they are written in Works 2000.

If I install Works 2000 with Office 2007 installed will my computer explode or what?
    edited November -1
    Im far from being computer oriented,so maybe you can help me.When Im on line I get Microsoft updates to install in my PC.They offer an up date about once a week,I usually accept and install them.But I never can tell any difference after the updates are installed.Should I accept the updates or just ignore them? Thanks in advance.

Rugster
    edited November -1
    Trying to list a couple pistols on the auction side tonight.
    For some reason the photos will not go from my hard-drive and load.
    I get a window stating.

"Network Error"
    Connection re-set by peer"

Any clues ???
    edited November -1
    Some pictures ar blocked by my computer. Is it the Outlook Express or the Norton doing the blocking???

Most pictures come through but if someone forewards an email with pictures it says that they were blocked to keep someone from identifying my computer.

How do I turn this off so I can get the pictures???
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time that happened to me, I had a bad stick of RAM. You might want to take your RAM to your local computer store and have them check it for you.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save it for the next appliance shoot- [:D]
    shotpc.jpg

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • s4shooters4shooter Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have some malicious spyware in your system. Do a search on any of the following software programs and download the free trial versions and run them...you may solve your problem. "Hyjackthis", "Ad-aware" or "Spybot search & Destroy"

Jerry Weinberg
    edited November -1
    I already ran adaware it didn't help!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    ME and WIN98 don't always release RAM as a program ends. When this happens you'll get gridlock until you reboot and all will return to normal till the next time.

No fix that I'm aware of, except XP or 2000.

Nord
    edited November -1
    Bruce: Ill bet I can fix it with a big frickin hammer!!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you run Outlook then you may need to clear out all the old emails from your sent boxes and then clear 'em from the deleted folders too (especially if you have been sending pictures). My computer was doing the same thing as yours, and that was the problem.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing that you have a worm or other malicious code gobbling up your memory.

Also, 72% free or used? If you're using 72% of your memory that isn't good.

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Are you networking your Dell?

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    trip to the shop? You gotta be kidding me. Just back everything up and reformat, I'm sure its due anyway, then itll be as good as new.

You run adaware?

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 72% used RAM isn't too good. Picture/paint programs are memory intensive, which may be why it's balking at opening them. It could well be a bad RAM chip. You could use some diagnostic utilities too, I guess. You might look on download.com for a small suite of apps to check your system. You might also look in your Windows system tools for a read-out on how much RAM is detected. If the total available RAM is less than expected -- bad RAM chip, or it could have come loose in there.

BY THE WAY --

I just remembered that at one time there was a flaw in some version of Windows that would permit free RAM to fill up. You might also go to windowsupdate and see if your Windows needs any updates -- this may not be your issue, but it couldn't hurt.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif