In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

best long range rifle?

bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
I think a .300 Winchester mag is the best all around long range cartrige. Either a Remington 700, or Savage 110.

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered by the blood of tyrants."

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Everyone has an opinion.

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to agree with bobbywins on this one... Everybody has thier own opinion. I do regard the .300 win very high, but it isn't the best ballistically speaking. What about the .50 BMG, it just makes ya wanna say "who's yer daddy"! [:D]

Having a predictable enemy is better than having an ally you can't trust.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    I like with your choice of caliber but I would like a definition of "long range".

The best rifle for long range is the .50 Barrett. Reach out and touch 'em for 2000 meters in the right hands

For more mundane purposes the .300 win mag to me is the best choice.
    Wide range of loads available as well as bullet weights. However my choice of a rifle to fire them in is the browning A-bolt.

JuJu (just my opinion, others may vary)
  • bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's your opinion?

edited November -1
    I was thinking 600yrds, and doesn't cost $3.00 per shot and $3000.00 per rifle.

edited November -1
    100 posts!!! Do I get something for free?[^][:D][:)][8D][?]

edited November -1
    With a Browning A-bolt all your doing is paying for the name.

edited November -1
    I'll drink another beer and take it in stride. If a hard time is all you can give me, then I'll be just fine.

edited November -1
    Seriously. Besides a .50bmg which is impractical for hunting all but the largest African game, the .300 has to be the best all around cartrige.

edited November -1
    If you're wanting a debate, then it looks like there's no takers. There is rarely such a thing as a "best" anything. For most people, a hybrid that is good for this or that is the way to go. I bought a .300 win in a Rem 700 but compared to the 7mm STW or some of the new ultra's the .300 win just isn't the best. Go to the various ammo manufacturers website for further proof.

• stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    The .300 win. is a fine all-around cartridge.
    The 3006, since shortly after it's introduction, has been, is, and lkely will always be the BEST all-around cartridge.
    IMHO

BTW I shoot a 7 rem. mag.
    edited November -1
    It seems that the only way to get any input on this discussion board is to start a topic of some controversy so that people will actually respond. Otherwise you get nothing. I agree that the 30-06 probally is the best all around cartrige, but I want something that will really reach out and touch something. Besides a .50bmg which is far out of my price range.

edited November -1
    bmbuzlr, are you sure you're not just trying to incite a "what I have is better than what you have" arguement? Or are you just trying to get above the 100 posts mark so you'll be eligble (in your mind) to win some of our giveaways?
    Not trying to be rude, just trying to figure out your intentions. [8)]

• BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    What are you wanting to reach out and touch? Paper or animals?

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
    edited November -1
    quote:With a Browning A-bolt all your doing is paying for the name

Having owned both a savage and a Remington 700 I would have to disagree, have you owned all of these different rifles, I have.

Savage is a nice accurate rile, especially with the new trigger and the price, the remington is a very good rifle with an easy to adjust trigger and is very accurate, however being the proud owner currently of 2 browning A-bolts, 1 stainless and 1 blue and having owned both of the rifles mentioned in your post I can without doubt say that the browning A-bolt is a better weapon. Solid lock up, smooth bolt, realtivly short throw for a long action cartridge and as accurate if not more so than either of the guns you mentioned.
    I consistantly get groups under 1/2 inch at 100 yds with factory ammo and better than that with handloads (usually 1/4 to 1/8 inch), this is of course off a bench. Offhand I have taken deer out to 375 yds.

There is some truth to "you get what you pay for", oh, by the way all those rifles were in .300 winmag.

I dont mind the debate on caliber for long range shooting but you are really off base on your statement about the Browning, at least the A-bolt models which is what I have experience with.

JuJu ( A PROUD A_BOLT OWNER [^])

PS - congrats on 100 posts , stick around for 100's more [:)]
    edited November -1
    I think the best gun is what you can hit what you're aiming at - PERIOD!
    I'm not sure what the need is for a long-range gun in much of the country.
    I've taken over 70 deer and ~ 50 of those were with a side-lock muzzleloader, ~ 7 more with an inline and the remaining dozen were a split between a .44 carbine and the .300 win. I've only taken 2 shots over 100 yards. One freehand at 165 yards, and one prone with a bipod at ~ 250 yards. Incidentally, I've only had 1 deer run after being struck with a muzzleloader bullet, whereas many of the ones struck with my .300 ran for 30-50 yards before collapsing.

Well, take care. I think I'm done with this thread for tonight.
  • MarksmenMarksmen Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hummmm ive seen a .50 BMG with a sabotted .20 caliber round. Im sure that would fly forever. I would take .300 win mag. if the bullets didnt cost $26 for a brick of 20.
    edited November -1
    Babbihunter - quote:Incidentally, I've only had 1 deer run after being struck with a muzzleloader bullet,

Something to said for big and slow[^]

As to long shots, we have a field on our lease thats 450 yds across, I love to set up on 1 side and wait for the deer to come out of the swamp on the other[:D], Havent had the cojones to drop the hammer on one completely on the other side, usually wait for them to meander in the field to feed a bit. The 375 was a little longer than what I thought and he went about 35 yds before dropping.
    I usually do lung shots to not mess up to much meat ( I am afterall a meat hunter, dont care about trophys). If I hit 'em in the shoulder or just above they usually drop where they stand. That ballistic tip is a nasty litlle round.

JuJu (who hasnt had the thrill of a BP deer yet)
    edited November -1
    I was kidding about the 100 posts. JEESH! Tough crowd. I do own a Remington VS SF in .223. Have shot the Savage .300 Win Mag. I might consider the Browning. I plan on reaching out and touching paper, then animals.

• BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Here ya go - I like the .300 Weatherby better'n the 300 win [:p]- sept my shoulder hurts like hell from the Vanguard I'm shootin. But she's dead on accurate even with factory $38.00 + for 20 rounds - I haven't even tried reloading for it yet cause I can only get about 8 - 10 rounds per shoulder[xx(]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
    edited November -1
    I'm just trying to expand my inventory of firearms, and I have a wish list. Just want some input. Currently the most powerful rifle I have is my 30-30 Winchester. Which is all I need in the Arkansas woods. I just want a little more. Is that so wrong?

edited November -1
    Bluetic, I have a friend who has a Vanguard in 30-06 and it kicks worse than my .300. I think it has something to do with the stock on those rifles.
    I aint no recoil expert, but I am a small guy and I can shoot my .300 pert near all day and cant shoot his 30-06 more a fews times and my shoulder starts to hurt.

JuJu (I thought I shot a big round)
    edited November -1
    The Weatherby sounds good to me but I'm concerned about the quality of the newer guns (Wal-Mart specials). An older one costs at least $1000.00, not to mention the cost of the ammo.

edited November -1
    bmbuzler, cost is always a factor, I aint no rich man and cant afford a $1000 dollar gun either. The Wal-mart special Weatherby's are actuall nice guns. But they kick like heck too[:0]

For the money I like the Savage, great out of the box accuracy and with the new adjustable trigger they are quality guns in any caliber.

The A-bolt can be had for as little as 400-500 dollars if you shop around a bit and are patient. I got my stainless NIB for 500 and the blue one used with a 4x10x40 nikon scope for $400 at a gunshow.

Also, think about learning how to reload, I am a begginner at it and only reload for my .300 and my 45/70 but its fun,relaxing, a little cheaper than factory and you can get your rifle to do some amazing things with the proper load.

JuJu (any gun is better than no gun)
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I can keep the flinch under control for another season but I'm thinkin there is a Winchester 70 in .300 win w/boss down at the local store, that has my name all over it. I may have to put the vanguard up for auction[:D][:D][:D]I also am a begining reloader. I've only done for 30-06 .280 and 45lc so far. Gotta get some more dies[8D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    OK - paper then hunting. Personally I would not take a shot over 350 yds on an animal, but thats just me. I don't think I have had a shot over 250 yds come to think about it. Most are under 100 yds. For me i like the .280 remington. It does everyting I need it to do, and it any range I have needed to shoot. The mag are just too much for most appication I run into. The 7mm buddits have about the best ballistic coefficient of any round in the 140 to 160 grain weight. The 280 Rem is every bit as flat as a .270 Win, and has a better selection of buddits. Remington and Browning are my preferred rifles.

Boomer, a 7mm fan

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
    edited November -1
    I reload for my 30-30 and .223 and I need to get some dies for my .454. But as far as that goes I'm still a beginner. I definately plan on reloading for what ever new rifle I get, what ever the caliber. Thanks for the input!

edited November -1
    O.K. I admit, I really don't NEED anything bigger than a 30-30 for what I hunt. I just want to have my bases covered if I do.

• 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bmbuzlr
    O.K. I admit, I really don't NEED anything bigger than a 30-30 for what I hunt. I just want to have my bases covered if I do.

Get a .270, you cant go wrong, theres no over kill in the deer, they shoot very flat, not much reciol, all around great caliber for deer.

"If it's brown, it's down" crosshair.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Get a .270, you cant go wrong, theres no over kill in the deer, they shoot very flat, not much reciol, all around great caliber for deer.

Hard to argue with that[8D]

JuJu (who has owned many a .270 and liked them all)
    edited November -1
    How's a .270 on Elk? I been thinking about trying to get an Elk tag, if I'm lucky!

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    quote:Get a .270, you cant go wrong, theres no over kill in the deer, they shoot very flat, not much reciol, all around great caliber for deer.

Hard to argue with that[8D]

JuJu (who has owned many a .270 and liked them all)

See, he knows.[:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bmbuzlr
    How's a .270 on Elk? I been thinking about trying to get an Elk tag, if I'm lucky!

Im sure it would work fine on elk if you know how to shoot![:D] If I can kill a deer with a .222 and paboogerjr can kill one with a .22 hornet, then elk can be killed easily with a .270. Also, the day you win an elk tag in a lottery is the day pabooger gets rid of his guns.

edited November -1
    Your probably right about that.

• blaze123blaze123 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    338 lapula 4 in groups 800yds
    edited November -1
    338 lapula? That's a new one to me.

• blaze123blaze123 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Armalite AR-30 they are awsome up to 1700 yd
    edited November -1
    I've heard of .338 Rem Ultra Mag, and .338 Win Mag, but not .338 lapula. Is it based off of an existing cartridge?

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 Win mag is good, but then 7mm Mag is also.
    Using a 150 gr bullet in both.
    At 500 yards the 300 drops 60.69" the 7mm drops 63.86.
    The 300 is traveling at 1813, the 7mm at 1866.
    The 300 hits with 1095 lbs, the 7mm with 1160.
    The 300 gets there in .616 seconds, the 7mm in .624.
    So the 300 does not drop quite as much but the 7mm hits harder when it gets there.
    I prefer to have a bullet hitting a little harder. (the 7mm)
    Of course there is a difference in which bullet you use.
    Now there are some wildcat rounds that can perform quite nicely.

Now if you want to throw the 17 Rem. in on the deal.
    At 500 yards with a 25 grain bullet, it drops 64.66 is traveling at 1235, and hits with 85 lbs, in .690 seconds.
    It would probably bounce off an animal (at that range) but it would be good to punch paper with.

30.06 is still the most versatile cartridge out there.
    And you can pick up ammo almost anywhere.
    After trying the others, that is what I settled on.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think there's any bad calibers . Only bad shooters . [;)]

For long range it would have to be that "rail gun" they are developing . The thing don't use shells . Just bullets , and magnetics . Can't remmember range , but the cycle rate on it is over 1 million per minute . The demonstration they showed was awesome .

For deer in the open I'll stick with my model 70 300 win mag .

For groundhog hunting I like my A-bolt 22-250 .

You know what they say about opinions . [:D]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!