In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best long range rifle?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pickenup, I'll second the down range effect on the .17 rem. They will really reach out there, but the problem is that light bullet is horribly inaccurate in even relatively light winds. One day shooting prairie dogs in western Kansas I was running out of .220 Swift ammo (my favorite varmit round) so I grabbed the .17 rem. The first evening it was great, I was getting them out just as far as the Swift. The next day however, the winds were variably gusting and I couldn't hit ANYTHING. It was so bad in fact that I picked up my then relatively new 10/22 and started popping 'em with that in the same winds that were blowing that little .17 all over the place. I have since wondered why the .17 HMR took off so well whereas the .17 rem has all but disappeared. I guess advertising works! [B)]

Having a predictable enemy is better than having an ally you can't trust.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 600 yards your talking middle of "Mid-Range" not "Long Range". "Long" starts at around 800 and "Ultra Long" at around 1500+ yards.
    338 Lapua is baised on the 416 Rigby case (necked down and slightly shortened).
    For most people it's shooter skill that is the limiting factor for range, not the capabilities of the rifle/cartridge.
    That being said, the only way to learn is to practice, practice, practice, in all weather and field conditions, at the longest range your comfortable with (this will increase as you get better) until your confidence in your skills and equipment lets you know that you can put the first 3 rounds into the kill zone, under the field and weather conditions your faced with at the time of the shot. For some people this distance is only 50 yards (for some I've seen around here, 50 yards might be considerd generous), for others it's 1000 yards.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Hey fellows, it is .338 Lapua, not .338 Lapula. If you thought 50bmg is expensive to shoot at a $1.50 a round, then try $3.25 a round for .338 Lapua.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's for deer hunting, the 270 would be the best.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    picknup - I don't know which charts you are reading but I think you can cut those drop rates about half - no offense but I'm looking at a G&A ballistics chart and I AM NOT AN EXPERT, so take that for what it's worth. It shows the 300 Win, 150grn SP 500 drop at 33.6 " and the 7mm at 34.2 and my 300 wthby at 31.8 with the energy of 1547....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BlueTic;
    Where are the charts you are using "zeroed" at? 100 yards? 150? 200?
    Mine are at the muzzle.
    Like I said, it depends on the bullet you use (as well as the powder.)
    Lots of different loads to make it perform differently.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    That would be off the 200 yrd zero chart - I smell what your cookin, thanks![:D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pickenup, how exactly do you zero at the muzzle? I'd think the scope would be at an awful angle. OK, I'm just teasin' I think we know what you meant.

Having a predictable enemy is better than having an ally you can't trust.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.