In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help paring down my BOB

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Look at photos and make some suggestions on how to lighten up my BOB.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1623927/1/

Comments

• storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

I have an idea you may not like. Ditch that GI crap and get a good pack that you can go many miles without any undue pressure. I use this one in the winter and a larger one in summer. Really well made.

http://www.ortovox.com/rucksaecke/powder/freerider26/freeriderfarben26.html
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a wheel barrow.[;)
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    First look, I would get rid of the hard cases that your cleaning kit and ammo are in. Something less rigid, lighter and smaller would be better and easier to pack around.

I'll keep looking.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490

I have an idea you may not like. Ditch that GI crap and get a good pack that you can go many miles without any undue pressure. I use this one in the winter and a larger one in summer. Really well made.

http://www.ortovox.com/rucksaecke/powder/freerider26/freeriderfarben26.html

I appreciate the feedback, but this is the absolute best pack for me. It fits perfectly, does not "rub" me anywhere and distributes the load perfectly. I tried a lot of expensive packs and cheap packs, but this $20.00 framed pack is the best one I have found. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little burro would work pretty good too.
    burro1.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    Get a wheel barrow.[;)

It all fits, no problem. Space is not an issue. The weight...that is an issue.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    First look, I would get rid of the hard cases that your cleaning kit and ammo are in. Something less rigid, lighter and smaller would be better and easier to pack around.

I'll keep looking.

Space is not the issue at all. I have plenty of space. The weight is terrible.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    A little burro would work pretty good too.
    burro1.jpg

Where did you get the photo of my ex-wifes momma?
    edited November -1

I appreciate the feedback, but this is the absolute best pack for me. It fits perfectly, does not "rub" me anywhere and distributes the load perfectly. I tried a lot of expensive packs and cheap packs, but this $20.00 framed pack is the best one I have found. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Do you ever hike with it for extended periods of time? If it still works for you on a hot day for 10 miles or more, then you are lucky your body fits that GI junk. What packs have you tried. OV is pretty hard to find. Most expensive packs I have tried sucked and were just a name.

I have a planned route with back ups and have dump points along the line. That way I have to pack less crap around and re supply en route.
    edited November -1

Do you ever hike with it for extended periods of time? If it still works for you on a hot day for 10 miles or more, then you are lucky your body fits that GI junk. What packs have you tried. OV is pretty hard to find. Most expensive packs I have tried sucked and were just a name.

I have a planned route with back ups and have dump points along the line. That way I have to pack less crap around and re supply en route.

Yeah, I strapped it on and walked about 5 miles accross the desert on a 110 degree day. It was not an issue. I needed a Guinness after the hike, but other then that it was great. I love the pack. I tried some crap from REI, and a couple of ones I tried on at Bass Pro shop. I really do not have an issue with the pack. I think that if it did not have the frame, then it would suck.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well lets see here, it depends on what you are packing for and how long you need to survive on it.

Here are some thoughts for you. You need to work on space management quiet a bit, along with un-needed weight.

Dump the cleaning kit box for sure. If you need all the stuff in there put in a nylon bag or something similar. I would only take what is really needed out of it.

I see the spam cans, cans are heavy. If you can find dry food or MRE style packaged meats you would be better off. Put your Ramen packages inside a good zip lock bag as the original packing will not last 5 min in a pack. Plus you will have a zip lock bag that can be used for other stuff.

Too much varied ammo and gun stuff. I see .22, .410, 7.62x39, .357, .30 carbine, plus pellets. How many guns can you actually carry and use? If the 7.62x39 is sealed keep it, but if not then your 2 mags + 180-210 (6/7 mags) should be more then enough unless you get into a major firefight and then you are going to have bigger issues. I think you did good with the .357. I think you did good on .22 but for me I think I would decrease the amount of standard .22 and increase the amount of quiet .22 assuming they shoot pretty close to the same for you. Quite is a friend. Since you are going to be upping the quiet dump the pellet gun. I would also step up to 50rds of .410.

You should add a good fixed blade knife too.

It looks like I see 3 flashlights in there. I would either buy a good one with a spare bulb and a couple sets of batteries. If that is not an option dump the bodies of 2 and just keep the bulbs as spares.

I know you have string on your list but you NEED 100' of Para cord.
    edited November -1
    If you are going to be making a long hike with this stuff here is what I suggest:

Ditch all the canned stuff and the multiple ammo types. If you are walking away from your home, I imagine it will be a long walk to where you are going. Every ounce will count. See if you can replace the canned food items with more MRE or freeze dried stuff to lighten the load and take less space. Try to decide on 1 or 2 weapon systems and carry more ammo for those two instead of 3 or more weapons with a little ammo for each. I do see your need for the 30 carbine, the 22/410 as well as the AK, just not sure it will lend itself to be the best for the situation of a long hike.

Something I did not see was a way to purify water. You need to add some tablets or a filtration system. In a BO situation there is not always tome to boil water.

And as for the every ounce counts routine, I have read stories of guys that hike and climb "professionally" that actually cut their toothbrush off to save a 1/2 ounce. Look at it from that perspective and you may find some more ways to lighten up the load.
    edited November -1
    YUCK! MRE=CHEMICAL NIGHTMARE

Never eat them for more than three days or your crap (when it decides to blow out) will have U.S. stamped on it.

Mountain house is way better than the Government poison.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Well lets see here, it depends on what you are packing for and how long you need to survive on it.

Here are some thoughts for you. You need to work on space management quiet a bit, along with un-needed weight.

Dump the cleaning kit box for sure. If you need all the stuff in there put in a nylon bag or something similar. I would only take what is really needed out of it.

I see the spam cans, cans are heavy. If you can find dry food or MRE style packaged meats you would be better off. Put your Ramen packages inside a good zip lock bag as the original packing will not last 5 min in a pack. Plus you will have a zip lock bag that can be used for other stuff.

Too much varied ammo and gun stuff. I see .22, .410, 7.62x39, .357, .30 carbine, plus pellets. How many guns can you actually carry and use? If the 7.62x39 is sealed keep it, but if not then your 2 mags + 180-210 (6/7 mags) should be more then enough unless you get into a major firefight and then you are going to have bigger issues. I think you did good with the .357. I think you did good on .22 but for me I think I would decrease the amount of standard .22 and increase the amount of quiet .22 assuming they shoot pretty close to the same for you. Quite is a friend. Since you are going to be upping the quiet dump the pellet gun. I would also step up to 50rds of .410.

It looks like I see 3 flashlights in there. I would either buy a good one with a spare bulb and a couple sets of batteries. If that is not an option dump the bodies of 2 and just keep the bulbs as spares.

There is a fixed blade knife there. It is one I built. The flashlights are solar powered and are sealed, water proof and sand proof. There are 3 of us. The 410 is for the Bauer take down rifle. The .22 is the kid's and she is a crack shot with it. I carry the AK, and the wife handles the M-1 Carbine well. I carry 50 feet of paracord with me whereever I go, on my wrist. As well as a shakel. I can make a real nice lizard trap out of it. And here in the desert, a lizard trap is a lifesaver.

225.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote: quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper

I'll keep looking.

How much do those hard cases weigh in comparison to a plastic bag? Ditch the hard cases, go with a nylon case that seals with velcro or heavy duty plastic.
    edited November -1
    If you are going to be making a long hike with this stuff here is what I suggest:

Ditch all the canned stuff and the multiple ammo types. If you are walking away from your home, I imagine it will be a long walk to where you are going. Every ounce will count. See if you can replace the canned food items with more MRE or freeze dried stuff to lighten the load and take less space. Try to decide on 1 or 2 weapon systems and carry more ammo for those two instead of 3 or more weapons with a little ammo for each. I do see your need for the 30 carbine, the 22/410 as well as the AK, just not sure it will lend itself to be the best for the situation of a long hike.

Something I did not see was a way to purify water. You need to add some tablets or a filtration system. In a BO situation there is not always tome to boil water.

And as for the every ounce counts routine, I have read stories of guys that hike and climb "professionally" that actually cut their toothbrush off to save a 1/2 ounce. Look at it from that perspective and you may find some more ways to lighten up the load.

Water purification is something that I do not worry about. THis is the desert. No water for hundreds of miles. Gotta carry it all with you. There are occasional windmill wells, and I would drink that straight out of the pipe. It is from deep in the earth. Standing water is non-existant.
    edited November -1
    quote: quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper

I'll keep looking.

How much do those hard cases weigh in comparison to a plastic bag? Ditch the hard cases, go with a nylon case that seals with velcro or heavy duty plastic.

Not much. The aluminum case weighs a few ounces, and the plastic case is just a few ounces also.
    edited November -1

Ok...I ditched the Spam and the Corned beef.
    edited November -1
    Ok, so we have more data that I was not aware of. 3 people means that 3 long guns are just fine and you can spread the load.

I still say ditch the cans, go with MRE or MRE type (for those of you that dislike MRE's) freeze dried foods. It will supplement what you can catch/kill. Ditch the hard cases, everything should be in cases that are as light as possible.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1

Not much. The aluminum case weighs a few ounces, and the plastic case is just a few ounces also.

Well a few oz here and a few oz there make a pound here and there. This makes smaller space and lighter weight. Use the space and weight for something USEFUL.
    edited November -1
    My friend Sam who used to live up in this part of Montana was a hiking nut case. He hikes across America. His method is ultralight. I have learned a lot of tricks and found some good info on gear from him and his web page.

http://samh.net/backpacking/
    edited November -1

Well a few oz here and a few oz there make a pound here and there. This makes smaller space and lighter weight. Use the space and weight for something USEFUL.

Okie Dokie. I have a field cleaning kit that is a roll up type. I wil put that in instead of the hard case. I will ditch one of the flashlights. ALready ditched the corned beef and spam.
    edited November -1
    My friend Sam who used to live up in this part of Montana was a hiking nut case. He hikes across America. His method is ultralight. I have learned a lot of tricks and found some good info on gear from him and his web page.

http://samh.net/backpacking/

Neato site. I bookmarked it.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    get an OTIS cleaning kit
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128631653
    Ditch the ammo boxes and get ammo vac sealed
    Ditch .22/410 OR the pellet gun
    If wife/kid will each have a gun then great, otherwise too many guns
    edited November -1

The fixed blade knife is sitting on top of the Machette. I built this knife specifically for a survival knife. It is less then 6 inches long, made out of a thick recipricating saw blade with a diamond impregnated backstrap that works better then a saw. The radio is the best I could find, the freeplay. Has a built in light, works on a crank or on solar. Can charge a cell phone with it also.

freeplay-companion-am-fm-led-radio.jpg

Here is the knife blade
    Knife002.jpg

Here is the finished knife
    Knifedone.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    get an OTIS cleaning kit

Everyone has firearm. The .22/410 is a break down piece, and it goes, no compromising on that one.

bauer.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    get an OTIS cleaning kit

Nice cleaning kit...not a nice price...OUCH!!
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Found this on another site on packing a SHTF bag[:D]
    For crying out loud. If poop hits the fan, you all are going to get poop all over all of your cool toys and accomplish nothing.

If poop hits the fan, I want:

2 (pr) Rubber Gloves (to keep the poop off my hands)
    12 Rolls of Brawny Paper Towels
    6 Heavy Duty Wash Clothes
    1 Spray bottle filled with a 50/50 Bleach/Water solution
    2 Bottles of Resolve Carpet Cleaner
    1 Bissel Steam Cleaner
    1 Heavy Duty Wet/Dry Vac
    6 Good quality and Heavy Duty Sponges
    1 5 Gallon Bucket
    3 Cans of Endust Electronics Cleaner
    1 Large package of Cotton Swabs
    1 Can of Febreeze
    1 Good sized box or oscillating fan
    1 Bottle of Good Ammonia based Glass Cleaner
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, first of all, I did not read any other persons reply so, please understand if I am repeating things. You didn't say otherwise so I"m assuming you are solo. Here's what I would do right off, and don't take offense to my words- they're just words ;-) OK,
    *first thing...your pack sucks- get a more efficient pack, WITH A HYDRATION SYSTEM, but, if you don't have spare cash for an upgrade, then your pack is just fine.

* Next, realisticly, you have too many firearms, so..
    - Dump the pellet gun
    - Choose between the AK and the Carbine (I like the AK if its a good one)
    - Add a bit more ammo for remaining (.22, .410 & whichever other chosen)
    - If you choose the AK, get a scope for hunting
    - BTW, good choice w/ .22/.410 combo- quite versitile

* Next, get a good tactical type vest with holster for .357
    - load your AK Mags & carry on the vest
    - put any small electronics (cell etc), ID, Knife, Flashlight in vest pockets

* Next, DUMP ALL THOSE CANS!
    - Get Mountain House foods , If you get a new pack, be sure it has some type of ability to attach other containers (Molle type is good)
    - The mountain house stuff is bulky, but not really heavy, so, get a very lightweight attachable bag/pack & hook it up to your main pack

- get rid of ammo boxes

That's all my pea brain can handle for now......best of luck..............AND,,,,,,,

REMEMBER- NOTHING IS AS IT APPEARS.............NOR IS IT OTHERWISE
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Weigh your food and weapons.

Therein lies the issue, I think.

But if you are packing for three people, hard to do with less, I guess.

Figure 2000 calories per day per person.

Water is more important.

Forget about vitamins and tylenol.

I gotta carry the vitimins. B-12 and Calcium deficiency. I have to take it EVERY day. Why dump the tylenol?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tpacuriosity
    Well, first of all, I did not read any other persons reply so, please understand if I am repeating things. You didn't say otherwise so I"m assuming you are solo. Here's what I would do right off, and don't take offense to my words- they're just words ;-) OK,
    *first thing...your pack sucks- get a more efficient pack, WITH A HYDRATION SYSTEM, but, if you don't have spare cash for an upgrade, then your pack is just fine.

* Next, realisticly, you have too many firearms, so..
    - Dump the pellet gun
    - Choose between the AK and the Carbine (I like the AK if its a good one)
    - Add a bit more ammo for remaining (.22, .410 & whichever other chosen)
    - If you choose the AK, get a scope for hunting
    - BTW, good choice w/ .22/.410 combo- quite versitile

* Next, get a good tactical type vest with holster for .357
    - load your AK Mags & carry on the vest
    - put any small electronics (cell etc), ID, Knife, Flashlight in vest pockets

* Next, DUMP ALL THOSE CANS!
    - Get Mountain House foods , If you get a new pack, be sure it has some type of ability to attach other containers (Molle type is good)
    - The mountain house stuff is bulky, but not really heavy, so, get a very lightweight attachable bag/pack & hook it up to your main pack

- get rid of ammo boxes

That's all my pea brain can handle for now......best of luck..............AND,,,,,,,

REMEMBER- NOTHING IS AS IT APPEARS.............NOR IS IT OTHERWISE

3 people. 3 packs. This is the best pack I have found. I tried all those $500.00 fancy schmansy packs. This is the most comofortable I have found. I am 240 lbs 6'01" with a long body and short legs. Kind of like a Polynesian dude.
    edited November -1

Water is more important.

I gotta carry the vitimins. B-12 and Calcium deficiency. I have to take it EVERY day. Why dump the tylenol?

If the B12 and calcium are prescriptions from a physician then so be it. Oral supplementation of both are pretty inefficient by tablet routes. Not to get personal, it is either solving a real problem or not, but I would be tempted yto look hard at need and means of treatment at first blush.

What do you need tylenol for that cannot be better treated by something else ? If I am hurting, I would prefer something else. If I am running a fever, I would prefer something else. If I want to overdose and kill my liver and kidneys and die a slow agonizing death, drug of choice.[;)]

Count up all the calories in the foods you have and dump the calorie
    and protein poor ones, heavy in salt, and any calories over 2000/person per day. This I would assume is a bob, not camping down by the old mill stream. The luxury of a full stomach paid for by weight, loss of space for water, and lack of manoeverability is a decided disadvantage. I would think.

Since we are delving into my medical stuff. I had severe acid reflux and was on the verge of having cancer. They opted to remove my stomach. I am healthier then 95% of all Americans now. However, because I have no stomach, and food passes directly to my intestines, I have to eat 6 small meals a day, and MUST take B-12 and Calcium in huge quantities. The underlying cause cannot be fixed. It has long since decomposed in a medical waste facility.
    edited November -1

Water is more important.

If the B12 and calcium are prescriptions from a physician then so be it. Oral supplementation of both are pretty inefficient by tablet routes. Not to get personal, it is either solving a real problem or not, but I would be tempted yto look hard at need and means of treatment at first blush.

What do you need tylenol for that cannot be better treated by something else ? If I am hurting, I would prefer something else. If I am running a fever, I would prefer something else. If I want to overdose and kill my liver and kidneys and die a slow agonizing death, drug of choice.[;)]

Count up all the calories in the foods you have and dump the calorie
    and protein poor ones, heavy in salt, and any calories over 2000/person per day. This I would assume is a bob, not camping down by the old mill stream. The luxury of a full stomach paid for by weight, loss of space for water, and lack of manoeverability is a decided disadvantage. I would think.

Tylenol is the only pain reliever I can take. Aspirin can cause ulcers, and the same with Ibuprofin. Doctors orders. I may take a couple 3-4 times a year, but when I take it, it is because I need it.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even Tylenol has its risks. Watch your liver.

quote:Understanding and Taking Care of Your Liver

What Your Liver Does
    Your liver performs a number of important functions. It stores vitamins, sugars, fats, and other nutrients derived from the food you eat. It creates chemicals your body needs to stay healthy and regulates body chemical levels. And, it breaks down and eliminates toxins (including alcohol) from your body and removes waste products from your blood.

Liver Enzymes and Your Health
    When assessing liver health, doctors typically look at the blood levels of certain substances including bilirubin and liver enzymes. Higher than normal levels of these chemicals may be a sign of liver disease.

Laboratory reports indicating elevated liver enzyme levels are common. Elevated enzyme levels do not indicate a specific disease, but may be caused by a liver disorder. Common causes of elevated liver enzyme levels include:

Medications such as:
    Certain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
    Cholesterol-lowering medications
    Antibiotics
    Anti-seizure medications
    Excessive alcohol consumption
    Obesity
    Diabetes
    Elevated triglycerides
    Infection, such as viral hepatitis and mononucleosis
    Autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, such as autoimmune hepatitis and primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cirrhosis
    Metabolic liver disease, such as hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease
    Excessive use of vitamin supplements and certain herbal supplements
    Tumors of the liver or bile duct

A recent study reported that increases in ALT (an enzyme found in the blood which originates predominantly from liver cells) were observed in subjects taking the maximum daily dose of acetaminophen (4 grams).
    Elevated liver enzyme levels sometimes may be&-but are not always-a sign of poor liver health.

If you are under a doctor's care for any serious condition, or are taking any other drugs, you should talk to your doctor.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Even Tylenol has its risks. Watch your liver.

quote:Understanding and Taking Care of Your Liver

What Your Liver Does
    Your liver performs a number of important functions. It stores vitamins, sugars, fats, and other nutrients derived from the food you eat. It creates chemicals your body needs to stay healthy and regulates body chemical levels. And, it breaks down and eliminates toxins (including alcohol) from your body and removes waste products from your blood.

Liver Enzymes and Your Health
    When assessing liver health, doctors typically look at the blood levels of certain substances including bilirubin and liver enzymes. Higher than normal levels of these chemicals may be a sign of liver disease.

Laboratory reports indicating elevated liver enzyme levels are common. Elevated enzyme levels do not indicate a specific disease, but may be caused by a liver disorder. Common causes of elevated liver enzyme levels include:

Medications such as:
    Certain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
    Cholesterol-lowering medications
    Antibiotics
    Anti-seizure medications
    Excessive alcohol consumption
    Obesity
    Diabetes
    Elevated triglycerides
    Infection, such as viral hepatitis and mononucleosis
    Autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, such as autoimmune hepatitis and primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cirrhosis
    Metabolic liver disease, such as hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease
    Excessive use of vitamin supplements and certain herbal supplements
    Tumors of the liver or bile duct

A recent study reported that increases in ALT (an enzyme found in the blood which originates predominantly from liver cells) were observed in subjects taking the maximum daily dose of acetaminophen (4 grams).
    Elevated liver enzyme levels sometimes may be&-but are not always-a sign of poor liver health.

If you are under a doctor's care for any serious condition, or are taking any other drugs, you should talk to your doctor.

I doubt that the 3-4 times a year I may need tylenol and I only take 2 of them would burn my liver out. I take no medications other then vitimins.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get rid of the .30 carbine (not in the photo). You're carring an AK and a .22 of some sort. What would the .30 carbine do the AK could not? REALLY. I also see a large frame handgun in there somewhere.

I believe I counted 6 edged items (tool/knife). Pick two.
    Coffee is not a true need.
    Canned fruit has almost no nutrients, it may tide you over but really has very little health value. Loose it. Really way too much variety in what you want to eat.

Multi-vitamins and rice, and water are about all you really need to keep going.

I also think you're heavy on ammo. All you really need a BOB for is to get out. It cannot be a lifetime supply of anything. If the weight keeps you from getting out, then all you really did was fail. Salt and pepper is another luxury.

3-4 firearms, luxury foods, like canned tuna, top ramen, etc. is weight, not survival. The seasoning packets from top ramen aren't terrible if you need a little pampering while the world is going to hell. Looks like you have a pot to cook with, you can do the same thing with aluminum foil, which can serve other purposes too. I hope that's a tarp in the upper left of the photo, don't know what's on it, but a GPS will potentially be useless. Get a decent map. Also, three flashlights? Where are you going in the dark?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Get rid of the .30 carbine (not in the photo). You're carring an AK and a .22 of some sort. What would the .30 carbine do the AK could not? REALLY. I also see a large frame handgun in there somewhere.

I believe I counted 6 edged items (tool/knife). Pick two.
    Coffee is not a true need.
    Canned fruit has almost no nutrients, it may tide you over but really has very little health value. Loose it. Really way too much variety in what you want to eat.

Multi-vitamins and rice, and water are about all you really need to keep going.

I also think you're heavy on ammo. All you really need a BOB for is to get out. It cannot be a lifetime supply of anything. If the weight keeps you from getting out, then all you really did was fail. Salt and pepper is another luxury.

3-4 firearms, luxury foods, like canned tuna, top ramen, etc. is weight, not survival. The seasoning packets from top ramen aren't terrible if you need a little pampering while the world is going to hell. Looks like you have a pot to cook with, you can do the same thing with aluminum foil, which can serve other purposes too. I hope that's a tarp in the upper left of the photo, don't know what's on it, but a GPS will potentially be useless. Get a decent map. Also, three flashlights? Where are you going in the dark?

Remember, this is for 3 people and a dog. Where am I going in the dark? Out here in the desert, at night, without a flashlight and you are going to get snake bit...almost guaranteed. If not a snake, then maybe a black scorpion.
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may have missed it, but did you mention how you plan to "carry" water for 3 people in the desert for 3 days ?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer
    I may have missed it, but did you mention how you plan to "carry" water for 3 people in the desert for 3 days ?

Two 2 gallon canteens. Plus I know where all the windmill pumps in my area are.
    edited November -1
    I am beginning to regret posting this request.