In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help paring down my BOB

2»

Comments

• bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    get rid of the canned meats, mashed potatoes and the rice mixes.

for space and weight saving go with the pouched tuna, great source of protein and takes up very little space.

That hatchet looks like one of the cheaper than dirt cheapo specials, if so replace it, I broke mine the first time I used it.

Get rid of the AK scope and mount, wasted space and weight. Anything at a range needing a scope on an AK is out of range for an AK anyway [:p]

I'd exchange the SW for a snub nose. You have a shotgun/22 and the AK, that leaves the handgun for personal defense, no need for taking up the added space of a 6" (?) revolver stick to something smaller.

Exhange the instant coffe for single serve tea bag type cofee, lighter and easier to pack.

Drop back to one thing of honey, going through 3 of them will take much longer than you have stuff to add it to.

Add some water purifier tablets.

Add a pouch of QuikClot, an absolute lifesafer if you are a ways from medical help.

Get rid of the cleaning kits, replace with bore snake a couple small brushes and breakfree.

Also get some meal replacement bars, very handy in a pack like that.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187
    get rid of the canned meats, mashed potatoes and the rice mixes.

for spare and weight saving go with the pouched tuna, great source of protein and takes up very little space.

That hatchet looks like one of the cheaper than dirt cheapo specials, if so replace it, I broke mine the first time I used it.

Get rid of the AK scope and mount, wasted space and weight. Anything at a range needing a scope on an AK is out of range for an AK anyway [:p]

I'd exchange the SW for a snub nose. You have a shotgun/22 and the AK, that leaves the handgun for personal defense, no need for taking up the added space of a 6" (?) revolver stick to something smaller.

Exhange the instant coffe for single serve tea bag type cofee, lighter and easier to pack.

Drop back to one thing of honey, going through 3 of them will take much longer than you have stuff to add it to.

Add some water purifier tablets.

Add a pouch of QuikClot, an absolute lifesafer if you are a ways from medical help.

Get rid of the cleaning kits, replace with bore snake a couple small brushes and breakfree.

Also get some meal replacement bars, very handy in a pack like that.

Ok...got rid of the instant coffee. I have the little "tubes" of instant coffee anyhow. Got rid of 2 of the honey's. My thinking on the AK scope and mount was a dual purpose binocular/scope for the AK. I have two of the hatchets like these. The first one I have put through hell and it held up like a champ. But I have that big old Gerber Gator Machette. I may lose the hatchet. Good call. Pistol stays. Sorry. That is the first firearm I purchased when I turned 21. And it is very functional.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    what are those two dolls in the lower left of the photo?
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Ok...got rid of the instant coffee. I have the little "tubes" of instant coffee anyhow. Got rid of 2 of the honey's. My thinking on the AK scope and mount was a dual purpose binocular/scope for the AK. I have two of the hatchets like these. The first one I have put through hell and it held up like a champ. But I have that big old Gerber Gator Machette. I may lose the hatchet. Good call. Pistol stays. Sorry. That is the first firearm I purchased when I turned 21. And it is very functional.

Sounds like a good start.

If it's just for a few days, forget good tasting food, go for small, filling and nutritious. Pouch tuna and meal replacement bars are perfect for that.

Also if you are keeping the large 357, I'd consider droping the 30 carbine. The Ak serves it's purpose well, so does the 22/410, the 357 can hold a dual purpose-With those 3 firearms the 30 carbine becomes obsolite.

Also, I'd consider droping the tools back to just the 2 multi-tools and the vise grips, the sockets and screw drivers job can be done with those 3 items and that will add a good deal of space and weight reduction.

Another thing to consider, caffeine makes you dehydrate more quickly. In a desert setting you may want to leave that out all together. Unless of course you are an addict like me, i get insane headaches without any caffeine.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187

Sounds like a good start.

If it's just for a few days, forget good tasting food, go for small, filling and nutritious. Pouch tuna and meal replacement bars are perfect for that.

Also if you are keeping the large 357, I'd consider droping the 30 carbine. The Ak serves it's purpose well, so does the 22/410, the 357 can hold a dual purpose-With those 3 firearms the 30 carbine becomes obsolite.

Also, I'd consider droping the tools back to just the 2 multi-tools and the vise grips, the sockets and screw drivers job can be done with those 3 items and that will add a good deal of space and weight reduction.

Another thing to consider, caffeine makes you dehydrate more quickly. In a desert setting you may want to leave that out all together. Unless of course you are an addict like me, i get insane headaches without any caffeine.

Caffeine addict. Gotta have it.

30 carbine is for the wife.

72 hours in this violent border town is VERY optomistic. I prefer to call it my 7 day bag.

Lots of lizzards, and rabbits, so I will drop some of the canned stuff.

I agree on the tool pouch. Will put it in the pickup.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    "Personal needs or prescription " is all the explanation necessary. Drop the honey, sugar is faster and lighter, I would still swap the tylenol for something more efficient and longer lasting. Drop the Ramen, too high in salt and requires water and cooking, would exchange the coffee for tea and kool aid, although I sure do like coffee. Agree with dropping canned meats, jerky is more efficient.

Add a roll of silver quarters to each pack. And a one week course of antibiotics for each person.

And when I suggested weighing the guns and food, I really did mean weigh them. Come to your own conclusions.

Feed the dog with cat food.

Add a ceramic water filter.

You did ask for an analysis of your stuff ![;)]

And if you do know where you are going, pre-position 5 gal water and whatever else would be cheap and buriable, if that is a word !

You do know that you cannot feed a dog, cat food. They put some crap in cat food that will eventually kill a dog.

I do not have the silver quarters, but do have 10 1oz silver rounds tucked in amongst the stuff.

I use honey for medical reasons.

I will re-evaluate the firearms.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I agree with theposter that says get a pack with a hydration sleeve in it. Thats what Im looking for. Cant gind much but I will find something soon
    edited November -1
    "Personal needs or prescription " is all the explanation necessary. Drop the honey, sugar is faster and lighter, I would still swap the tylenol for something more efficient and longer lasting. Drop the Ramen, too high in salt and requires water and cooking, would exchange the coffee for tea and kool aid, although I sure do like coffee. Agree with dropping canned meats, jerky is more efficient.

Add a roll of silver quarters to each pack. And a one week course of antibiotics for each person.

And when I suggested weighing the guns and food, I really did mean weigh them. Come to your own conclusions.

Feed the dog with cat food.

Add a ceramic water filter.

You did ask for an analysis of your stuff ![;)]

And if you do know where you are going, pre-position 5 gal water and whatever else would be cheap and buriable, if that is a word !

You do know that you cannot feed a dog, cat food. They put some crap in cat food that will eventually kill a dog.

I do not have the silver quarters, but do have 10 1oz silver rounds tucked in amongst the stuff.

I use honey for medical reasons.

I will re-evaluate the firearms.

It's not something they put in cat food, I think, but the higher protein content, that can damage a dog's kidneys over time.

The same thing that gets people in trouble on those protein/creatinine muscle bulking diets.

Again, I was thinking of short term use and efficiency. The amount of food necessary for a dog for several days would, of course, depend upon the size of the dog and activity level. Maybe the difference would not be that great.

Yep. you are correct.

Cat food is often higher in protein and fats than dog food, and the increased fat and calories can cause life-threatening pancreatitis. Dogs aren't like us; if we eat a rich meal with too many calories, we put on weight, but dogs consuming too many calories in a single meal can develop pancreatitis.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what is the verdict on what went and what stayed?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    So what is the verdict on what went and what stayed?

Still working on it. Should finish up tonight. I will take photos and update everyone. I am a horder, and hate to remove anything that I may, even remotely, need.
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought, get rid of either the AK or the 30 Carbine. You may need to take long range shots in the desert, the AK or M1 Carbine are not what you want for 400+ yd shots. Since the wife likes the carbine, and is good with it, maybe you should look into a bolt action in a flat shooting caliber , or even an M1A for yourself to make those long shots.
    just my .02