In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Going Away Give Away.

2»

Comments

• gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    Travis,
    There are a few mean vicious people here but most are good. The mean ones probably aren't racist, but if they can hurt another person of any race, they will. You have seen it. There are those that use the made up names to cover their mob mentality and further their agenda.
    Take the break, then come back in a while.

I took it as a joke, Just like the Pittsburgh one.(I'm from Pittsburgh) I don't think there is an agenda here just a joke.
    Well just my 2 cents...

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Ok, I'll enter for JJ's knife. I've seen it and it is a beauty. Hope to see you back some day Travis. Kurt

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Racism is a sickness...

I'm sorry you are leaving Travis. You are obviously a man of conviction and moral fiber.

I hate to see you go, our team needs you.

Now it's 89% - 11%.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it bothered you so much you would allow yourself to be chased off an internet forum then the "racists" aren't the only ones with a problem. Make a decision and stick to your guns. Don't expect others to try to talk you out of it unless that is your intention in making the post in the first place.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Please put my name in. Sorry to see anyone leave under these circumstances but mabye you just need a cooldown period and then you might consider coming back. Thanks again for the generous giveaway.

Larry
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to see ya go. Throw my name in that hat if you dont mind. Thanks

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis, we haven't corresponded much and it probably doesn't matter much what I think.

Nevertheless, it is my opinion that you should stay. From the little I've learned about you here and in other posts, I think you offer what few of us can offer. We'd be better off with you than without.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis, Initially I tried to take an active role in may of the threads on the forum, but quickly learned to ignor many, read some, and comment on the few that really held my interest.. and most importantly, to stay our of the mud fights loved by some on here..

I hope you recondsider and remain as active on here as you feel comfortable with.. your posts are interesting and CENTER TARGET on the true focus fo the forum, guns, shooting and the retention of our rights.

If the give away is something your really into doing, please include me in the selection.. I hope to see you around the forum ..

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you serious, giving up broker for them! That means they win! You're crazy for doing this, but it's your decision i guess i'd like t be on the drawing too!
  • rdcinmnrdcinmn Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please put me in for the giveaway-Thank you.
    I don't think you shoud leave--there's more good than bad here.
    If you decide to stay.....good[:D]
    If you decide to go.......good luck[V]

Ellsworth.gif

www.awbansunset.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1848
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seriously, post or don't. Who gives a care anyway. Life is real and stuff happens that we do not like or care about. lets get real. You cannot control things that go on in your life on a daily basis so why do you think you can control all of the people here/
    Get a life and go on with it. I don't think that anyone on here are racist but some are wound tight. Life goes on. Live it or leave it. just my opinion. Don

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • ArielleArielle Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis-

I hope you decide to stay. Don't let the words of others on here make you "run away" for lack of better words. I haven't, and Lord knows I get offended. there are a lot of good people here. to heck with the rest

Arielle

"I am the opposite of a stage magician... he gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth, I give you truth that has the appearance of illusion" Tennesee Williams
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Travis

I hope you read my email. If the blacks that were brave enough to walk up those school house steps had turned around and walked away, the racists would have won.

Stay with us. I say we just ask Nunn to poof racists stuff that gets posted.

If someone wants to post racist material I am sure there is a Neo Nazi board out there for them. We don't need them or want them here. Racist jokes (hey including lawyer jokes!) are hurtful and more foul that the worse cursing language I can think of.

Hang with us. Take a break and come back if you need.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all those who think I am running away. I am not and was never asked to by the people with whom I am annoyed (although they probably would ask me now).

I came to the forum for a source of fun, entertainment and a few good debates. I have had lots. When my enjoyment is replaced by rage I choose to leave rather than be angry. You can compare it to walking away from a drunk. I do that too.

I do appreciate all the replies for me to stay and that door is being left open. If and when I decide I want to come back, I will. For now I would rather stay away and spend my time looking for the sheds of the HUGE mule deer I saw today.[8D]

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. Best wishes to all.

Mad Dog
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    quote:For now I would rather stay away and spend my time looking for the sheds of the HUGE mule deer I saw today.

Ah, so the truth comes out. Had me going for a while there.[:D] Take care amigo.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    Jumped the gun and picked the winners today. Assigned everyone a number and had my Wife and Daughter pick a number.

Winners are

1. Fishermanben gets the ANZI Knife.[:)]

2. PearyW gets the deerhunting video (you must rig these things, huh)[;)]

Thanks again for entering and until we type again, Cee Yah!!![:D]

Mad Dog
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    quote:my skin is thick but my rage over these comments run even deeper. My grandfather and his uncle were both killed by racist. I do not hate whites for it. I hate racism.

Travis

I'll not tell you anything about how much I detest what transpired or how colorblind I am or whatever.

What I will say is if you leave you are turning your back on the sacrifices your grandfather and uncle made to help gain rights for blacks in America.

From the fiber of your posts I think you're a good human being...and no quitter.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Racist jokes (hey including lawyer jokes!) are hurtful and more foul that the worse cursing language I can think of.

As a lawyer I appreciate the thought. However, I do not condone censorship. The free flow of thoughts and ideas are more valuable than the broken beaks along the way.

See a wrong? Right it. Don't censor it.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis --
    I didn't know you were African-American, and it shouldn't make any difference, but I have even more respect for you somehow. I think too many people get used to argument and slamming doors in their home lives and begin to think of it as normal. You see a lot of dysfunctional families on COPS for example and LEOs themselves say if you want to be a cop it can change you because of what you see every day.

That was news to me because the home I grew up in did not have that kind of high volume goings on very often. I remember having one girlfriend who picked fights, threw things, and slammed doors, and I remember thinking, this is the first time in my life I've lived in a home where there was screaming and doors slamming.

All that just means, life is too short to put up with that, as dcon says above, and if that's what you are thinking, I can't blame you at all. I think it takes a cast iron stomach here sometimes; other times it's a real pleasure talking gun stuff with like-minded folks.

I started getting onto forums in 1985 on my first home computer, a Mac with 512k of RAM. At that time you used a text browser called Red Ryder and dialed into the "FidoNet" to chat on scrolling lists of messages. I distinctly remember the first time somebody attacked me. It was surprisingly disturbing, even though I knew it was baseless. It felt like people feel when they discover somebody has stolen their wallet -- I was in a funk the whole day.

These days some of the kids in particular have gotten so used to flaming each other that they come off like online versions of Dylan and Klebold -- no conscious, no limits, no care for the truth at all. I have to keep reminding myself, since I am now smart enough not to mind somebody's rant, that other newer Internet participants may still have the kind of reaction I had 20 years ago, and I don't think that is fair. I like to think of this place as a place to have a coffee klatsch, where folks sit down together in somebody's parlor or living room and have a series of discussions. It then becomes easier to decide what the limits are -- if somebody keeps defacating on the rug, I'm not impressed with the "freedom of speech" argument. It's discourteous to people who may have more sensitive sensibilities than I do. But I don't care to wallow in that either, so I butt out of the threads that descend into the pit.

Nobody knows you or me well enough to comment on us personally in any intelligent way. So personal attacks betray ignorance. Keep that in mind and it may help. Nobody has stolen your wallet, even though it may feel that way from time to time until you grow some online calluses. But if you choose not to become callused, and prefer more courteous company, I can't argue that at all. They try to keep a much wider door open here than I would put up with in my living room. Just because I have stayed this long doesn't mean somebody else who prefers to leave isn't doing something more more noble in their own eyes.

It really is true that this is a place where the content may be informative occasionally but is, on a personal level, totally superficial and depending upon the member may even be a false picture. It would be a mistake to take this too seriously.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    Offerer: I appreciate the reply (and those of the others). You made alot of sense and I guess I can learn from your expieriences. I tend to take the race remarks more serious then people may intend for them to be.

Also. I am Native American, not African American.[;)]

Mad Dog