In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Two Dead Buffalo

2»

Comments

• IdahjoIdahjo Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm. lets see. 900 pounds of buffalo meat for $500.00
    Sounds like a dollar something a pound for meat after the bones are tossed. I would buy good freezer meat for that price anytime. What it really boils down to is whether a cow is killed at the slaughter house with a hammer at ZERO range, or if it is shot at whatever range. Bugger is still DEAD and probably being used for freezer meat for someone[xx(]

fyou.jpg
    GRAMMA STILL THINKS I'M NUMBER ONE!
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe: I know we're just poor Idaho mountain trash, but what say we drive a coupla clicks south on the 95 and do us some buffalo huntin'?
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I don't see much sport in it. It's sorta like shooting carp in the back waters..oops I do that[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:There is no such thing as a fair hunt for bison.

That's a blantant lie. I can show you 2 free ranging herds in Alaska that you have to draw a permit for. I can also put you onto a 20,000 acre ranch on Kodiak Island where you have too compete with the Brown Bears for your choice of Bison.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, that is more of murder than true hunting. I mean hunting is supposed to be 100% fiar chase correct?

Seeing it, and pulling the trigger are 2 different things!
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious, any one spotlight deer??? Difference???
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Goodness, as I set and read this particular thread I invision grown men sobbing and wringing their hands as if someone had killed their mother. Two Bison lieing dead on the back of a blood stained pick up truck while mobs of angy men gather in protest. Who gave these men the right to kill those poor defenseless Bison, why did they do such a dasterdly deed? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? Who really gives a tiny rats *? There are not even enough details given to accomodate a rational decision as to the ethics of the hunters in question. While I don't subscribe to herding animals into the corner of a cage and slaughtering them there is no evidence given to suggest that this occured. Many of the game reserves that these animals are hunted on are very large, 20,000 acres or more and still require you to hunt the animals. Maybe its just me but when people start categorizing the killing of a wild animal as MURDER its a horrid reminder as to just how liberal many in our society have become. I'll reserve my judgement on the hunters.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Competeing with brown bear to get your shot at a choise bison? Wow that sounds like a fun challenge.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Whoa boys. Thought I had dialed into a PETA site for a minute[:D]

If the dumb rich ba#t#&ds want to think this is hunting, let them. The guy that is getting a good laugh is the FARMER that sold the buffalo for more than he could have got otherwise and maybe was able to make the payment to the bank or help pay for a kids education.

Now there may be "fair chase" buffalo hunts where really LUCKY and RICH people can get a tag and hunt, but how many of us can afford the time and money?

I personally don't consider this any different than growing up on a farm/ranch like I did and butchering time for cattle, pigs, chicken, or turkeys.

Besides I would love to shoot one with my 45-70 at about 100 yards so I could get the idea of what the real killing capacity of those old butes are, not just stories and theory.

I love buffalo.

Oh there is an ocassional "fair chase" buffalo hunt around here, when the escape from the herd at the park or Indian reservation. I have seen them run faster than any horse we have and jump a fence better than a mule deer, but had I shot that "wild" buffalo, I would have been killing an animal that belonged to someone else -- like shooting someones cow.

So let the rancher/farmer laugh all the way to the bank as he recovered something from an investment that cratered this last 3 years.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think before anyone makes a determination of how terrible these guys are rich or not, you ought to find out more about the hunt. There are several different types, some are on small acreage herd hunts others cover several square miles of territory.

As previously stated, Arizona offers a wild free range buffalo hunt and Chuck Adams, the renowned archery hunter wrote an article about his a few years back. He called it the hardest hunt he had ever been on. I believe Aglore when he says Alaska has one too.

Just because we have all seen bison standing around in someones pasture does not mean they all do that. And DWS makes a good point, what does these guys wealth have to do with anything?

KC
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geeez! Whats the big deal? I dont care what manner game is "harvested"-as long as it is not left to rot, do it however you want.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Cowdoc and Plains Scout. The bragging of the hunters is laughable. But the paying a better price than a bad market can bring is good. The people who raise Buffalo should have more of the Rich Guys hunting their livestock so they can pay their bills.

A guy I work with shot one in a "Hunt"[;)] and he shot it off of the tractor as they brought the hay to feed the buffalo. Now if that ain't hunting, then what is.[:D][;)]

Cowdoc: If the tribe you are referring to is the Cheyenne River tribe, than I have 2 of their Buffalo heads in the back of my truck.[8D]

Mad Dog
  • grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having a good neighbor engaged in bison (buffalo) ranching, I'll throw this out for what it's worth. When they changed from raising beef to bison about 10 years ago they had all their slaughter animals trucked to the packing plant just like they did beef. After a few years they started selling a few "hunts" on their 10,000 Wyoming ranch.

Bottom line...they now kill (shoot)all their surplus animals on the ranch, bleed and gut them, then haul them to a local plant for processing. You would not believe the difference in the quality of the meat in a bison shot out in the pasture while he is grazing vs. one that is crowded up a shute onto a truck with an electric *, trucked a hundred miles or more, and then repeat the shute and electric * process at the slaughter facility just prior to being killed.

Now I know why those dry 3-year old, grass fed, herford heifers we shoot beteen the eyes for our own use get such rave reviews compared to grocery store beef.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Griz has it right.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING better than a grass fed dry three year old heifer shot between the eyes, dropped like a sack of potatoes where she stands in a grassy field, and immediately gutted cleaned, skinned, cooled and then aged for three weeks.

Cut it with your fork and the flavor is out of this world. Buffalo are not so different.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4GodandCountry
    Goodness, as I set and read this particular thread I invision grown men sobbing and wringing their hands as if someone had killed their mother. Two Bison lieing dead on the back of a blood stained pick up truck while mobs of angy men gather in protest. Who gave these men the right to kill those poor defenseless Bison, why did they do such a dasterdly deed? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? Who really gives a tiny rats *? There are not even enough details given to accomodate a rational decision as to the ethics of the hunters in question. While I don't subscribe to herding animals into the corner of a cage and slaughtering them there is no evidence given to suggest that this occured. Many of the game reserves that these animals are hunted on are very large, 20,000 acres or more and still require you to hunt the animals. Maybe its just me but when people start categorizing the killing of a wild animal as MURDER its a horrid reminder as to just how liberal many in our society have become. I'll reserve my judgement on the hunters.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."

[;)] [;)]AMEN! YOU SAVED ME ALOT OF TYPING.[;)] [}:)] [:D]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You people stand back and listen to yourselves! You sound no different than the anti hunters! No different! What makes your arguments any different from those of PETA when it comes to any kind of hunting?
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like others, I wouldn't call this "hunting" . . . "hunting," to me, implies some degree of skill (other than basic marksmanship) and risk (if only of coming home empty handed). It was "harvesting" as others noted. But I don't see what happened here as immoral / unethical; if the shooters call it "hunting" they are delusional, but that's about it. Buffalo is some of the tastiest meat I've ever had, healthy also. Would I pay $1 or so a pound to shoot one and fill my freezer with buffalo meat? You bet I would - in a heartbeat! But I wouldn't say I had "hunted" for them, any more than I "hunted" for the pigs I've slaughtered for my freezer. Nor would I pay to have such a "trophy" mounted any more than I'd pay to have the head of the chicken I ate for dinner
    preserved and hung on the wall. For me, a trophy commemorates something especially memorable . . . perhaps not the biggest or most awesome game taken, but as a symbol of something which carries very special meaning. I have to wonder why someone would consider this a "trophy" - much less the 23rd one. Regardless of the financial condition, I would submit such a person had some sort of ego problem.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if I'd consider it "hunting", but $1.25/lb. for buffalo meat sounds pretty good to me!

Personally, I'm not the "hang heads on the wall" type of guy...I just like good food.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who cares Ted Nugent does it every year and everyone loves him. I don't nor will I ever hunt in that fashion to me it is much more gratifying to actually go out and get it done your self, But hey some people just don't have the dedication to the sport that I do and they would just rather pay a hefty fee to go shoot some animal they do not yet have mounted.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I always put a quart of vodka in with a pig's last meal to keep him calm and relaxed. Adrenaline ruins the flavor of meat and makes it tougher as well. I'd give them a blindfold and a smoke too if I thought that would help. Ever notice a difference in venison that was taken with a shot to the head and down , and the one that ran for a hundred yards before dropping?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ - I knew a guy who used to put his lobsters in a bucket of cheap white wine for a few minutes before he boiled them. Claimed the meat was sweeter. I think you're on to something.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of the Teddy Bear story. Ted Roosevelt went on a bear hunt and when he got there they had a bear cub chained to a tree. He insisted they let it go as it was not hunting. Thus began the Teddy Bear craze.

As a 19 year old I was with my uncle on the way to town. We saw a nice Whitetail Buck (5x5 about 17" inside spread) standing broadside less than 40 yards from us on the side of a hill. It just stood there and my uncle (tired of me not getting anything) asked if I wanted him. I said no. He laughed at me and we drove away. It just did not seem right because it was too easy. To me there is a sense of pride with the hunt. I can find no pride in shooting domestic animals. To others the end justifies the means.

I do not respect these hunters but I approve of the hunt because it meets two needs. The ranchers funding and the hunters ego. Better to have them shooting canned hunts than shooting in the field.

Mad Dog
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    Was Ruark a hunter?

Whoa there big fella, now you're cuttin' close to a nerve. Of course he was a hunter.

As for the buff shooters, to each his own. I've shot pigeons sprung from box traps in Spain, killed driven pheasants in England, ambushed deer from a stand in Texas and dry-gulched unsuspecting squirrels in Indiana. Oh yeah, I also caught one mormon missionary in a bear trap, his partner escaped.

Clouder..
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder
    I've .....dry-gulched unsuspecting squirrels in Indiana. Clouder..

Now thats just wrong. Do what you wish with any other species, but no dry gulching unsuspecting squirrels.[V]

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pity. I hear them Mormons is good eatin'.