In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fired for buying a Harley

Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
This was on Michigan Live which is basically a website for all the major newspaper publications in the state of MI. What really gets to me is that the dealer have used harley's on the showroom floor but an employee can't have one.

When Tom KeKONI showed up for work at Babbitt's Sports Center on May 17, he had no idea it would be his last day.

That morning, a sales manager approached Kekoni, a 46-year-old certified mechanic, and asked him whether he had made a certain recent purchase.

The mechanic acknowledged he had, and the sales manager informed him that he didn't need to punch in for work.

Kekoni thought the guy was teasing him.

"Too late, I already did," Kekoni responded.

A little later, the sales manager again approached Kekoni, asking if he believed him.

Kekoni said he did, but he wanted to "hear it from the horse's mouth," referring to his boss, Eddie Babbitt.

Babbitt then fired Kekoni.

The reason?

Kekoni had just bought a 2005 Harley-Davidson Superglide motorcycle. Babbitt's sells products that compete with Harley, such as Yamaha and Polaris.

"How would it look if my mechanic drives in on a competitor's product?" Babbitt said.

Both Kekoni and Babbitt admit to the firing, which broke no laws.

According to Jack Finn, an administrator with the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth, Babbitt did nothing illegal.

"Michigan employment is termed 'at will', and as a result an employer can terminate an employee without cause," Finn said.

Kekoni and Babbitt sharply disagree over whether a policy existed against owning competitors' products.

Kekoni, 47, alleges no such thing existed. "There was no policy," he said.

Babbitt, meanwhile, claims the policy always has existed. "It's been a standing policy here forever," he said.

Babbitt added that Kekoni should have been tipped off to the policy by two incidents prior to his firing.

The first was a firing about a month before Kekoni's. Babbitt terminated another employee for buying a Honda off-road motorcycle from a different vendor.

Before that, Kekoni said he approached a sales manager concerning some used Harley bikes in Babbitt's showroom. After Kekoni inquired about purchasing them, he said the sales manager told him, "You don't want to do that."

Kekoni said it wasn't clear to him why the sales manager responded the way he did.

He would later end up buying the bike through Sandy's Harley-Davidson in Fremont, and it already had been shipped when the other employee was fired.

Shortly after letting Kekoni go, Babbitt said his business came under fire from Harley sympathizers and owners.

"I've been blasted online ... it's not easy being the boss," he said.

Kekoni said he learned nothing can be done legally. He remains upset about the reasoning behind his firing.

"Everybody in my opinion has the right to own and buy what they feel they want to have," he said. "It shouldn't be dictated to you by your boss."

Kekoni said he plans to keep the bike.

"It's a helluva thing to get fired over."

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.s...icle?NEM&coll=8

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    That sucks!
    [V][V][V]

Sounds more to me like the boss was just lookin' for a reason to let him go.

I personaly would quit my job before I let an A-Hole boss dictate what I drive.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    STUPID BOSS!!! That move will cost him.

Pull up to any automotive/cycle/whatever dealership around here, and see what sits on the employees' parking lot. No one would even think to fire an employee for driving a different product. Maybe it's Texas vs. Michigan, but around here, we figure a man can do with his pay and his off time what he pleases.

I could see the boss asking the employee not to drive the Harley to work, or to park it around back, or park it somewhere else close, but not firing him. I think the employee has an actionable cause against the employer, and if I were him, I would likely own the shop.

If anyone has an email link, post it, or feel free to copy and paste my remarks and send them to the shop.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If he is a good enough a motorcycle mechanic, he can get a job with Harley davidson..[:D]

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Here is the dealers website with email information on the left.

THEY HAVE A USED HARLEY IN THEIR INVENTORY!!!!!

http://www.babbittssportscenter.com/

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy has a Federal lawsuit against the employer. Equality of other employee's has been breached. Remember folks State and local law has no bearing on this. He may lose in State court first ( which he probably will ) then appealing to Federal District Court will get their attention. Under Civil Rights he has full enjoyment of his property and equal protection under state law. He was not treated equally if he were fired for driving something different.
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a rotten place to work to begin with. I've worked at five different shops in the last 24 years and the brands we rode were NEVER a factor. I worked for shops that sold all four Japanese brands and we rode everything. Japanese, American, British and German, it didn't matter. We were never asked to park our bikes out of sight. The only shop I knew of where this mattered was, of course, the local Harley dealer. Go figure.

99% of all lawyers make the rest look bad.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it turns out that the dismissal was legal, the bad publicity surrounding this case will still hurt that dealer more in the long run.

The dealer should let the mechanic ride the Harley and if anybody asks the response should be that "hey, if he wasn't a mechanic, he wouldn't be able to keep that bucket of bolts out oiling the road every day."
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Its not the fact that he bought a Harley, its WHERE he bought it.. Greedy boss wanted the sale.. That boss needs an attitude adjustment[;)]

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The old smart boss messed up saying WHY he fired him.. Now it is on record and the ball is in the employee's hand. I bet his answer machine is full of calls from Attorney's wanting the case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is his email address:

info@babbittssportcenter.com

I sent him my opinion, with a link to this thread and a C&P of my post.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Here is his email address:

info@babbittssportcenter.com

I sent him my opinion, with a link to this thread and a C&P of my post.

I tried emailing him at the same address and the email bounced back.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Just for the hell of it,I just came back from the Chrysler dealership that I do a lot of work for.I took a drive through the employee parking area.Of the thirty-three cars/trucks parked there,only 7 were Chrysler products.[:0]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    DANG! I find myself being the most knowledgeable one so far on this topic.

In my past personal experience the rotten and unfair boss is going to be untouchable. The unfairly fired employee is going to have no recourse.

Many states have the employement law "employment at will" and most workers don't even know about it. This means just what it says; the employee has a day-to-day job only until the "will" of the employer decides to fire that employee.

Doesn't sound fair does it? Yet that is how it is in any state with an "employment at will" labor law. Now if someone were to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars to get this unfair sitution into court, the defense would say that is a fair sitution. After all, you the employee can quit any time, with no notice and for no reason. So for fairness the employer can fire you at anytime and for no reasons.

Believe me, this is how the Missouri department of labor looks at it as I had this debate with them on the phone. And no, it was not about me getting fired, it was about another labor issue that affected all my fellow employees.

But anyway, for those who will suggest the unfairly fired employee going out and getting a lawyer to take the case on "contingency", forget that. Unless you are a member of our protected minorities, or unless there is a very visible "pot of gold" that your "contingency" attorney can see in the case (for example suing an insurance company for your injuries), no attorney is going to take the case and risk working for free.

Unless state and federal labor laws are changed, this is how it is in states that have the "employment at will" laws. This is one reason why most employees need one of the good labor unions.

Call your state labor department. This "employment at will" law likely is what you are working under right now unless you are in a government or union job.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Texas is also an "at will" state. Employers are fond of using that term, and expecting the law to protect them. But, there is the law, and there is case law. Case law says something a little different.

I remember when the city of Wolfe City fired the Chief of Police, Bob Huckabee. He only had to show up to the City Council meeting with his lawyer, and the city backpedaled real fast.

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    If it were my business, I would say to hell with anyone who told me who I could fire!!! A business is a possession, and if a man wants to make it run, or drive it straight into the ground leaving people jobless, it's his business, he can. That's life. You cannot legislate fairness, because life his not fair. His business, his rules. If he doesn't want his employees driving Harleys, then he should fire the ones that do. If he doesn't want a particular mechanic driving a harley because he knows that he's a loudmouth and may berate his company's own products, then he should fire that particular employee. His baby, his rules.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not so fishermanben.. there are laws protecting everyone. As a Landlord I have to abide by Federal and State law on renters. Same for a business. Employees pay Federal and State tax, Social Security, some pay Medicare ect.ect. ect. Big Brother says what is legal and what is not. Any questions and the courts will set them straight.( usually in their pocketbook ). I can only say if the Employer had a policy that the employee knew this will be another issue. Employer is still on shaky ground legally implementing or enforcing it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Texas is also an "at will" state. Employers are fond of using that term, and expecting the law to protect them. But, there is the law, and there is case law. Case law says something a little different.

I remember when the city of Wolfe City fired the Chief of Police, Bob Huckabee. He only had to show up to the City Council meeting with his lawyer, and the city backpedaled real fast.

That example is no where close to be an hourly employee working in the private sector.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    If it were my business, I would say to hell with anyone who told me who I could fire!!! A business is a possession, and if a man wants to make it run, or drive it straight into the ground leaving people jobless, it's his business, he can. That's life. You cannot legislate fairness, because life his not fair. His business, his rules. If he doesn't want his employees driving Harleys, then he should fire the ones that do. If he doesn't want a particular mechanic driving a harley because he knows that he's a loudmouth and may berate his company's own products, then he should fire that particular employee. His baby, his rules.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Companies cannot come into existance without the approval of some government (city, state, county, federal) via a permit or license; or at least the legal process of becoming incorperated. Since all government is supposed to work for, represent and be "owned" by the citizens/public, then another way to say this is that there can be no company until the citizens approve of that company.

And once in existance ALL companies need customers. customers that come from the ranks of the public citizens.

And most companies need employees. Most of which come from the ranks of the public citizens.

Each depends on the other for survial. Each should receive predicateable and fair treatment from each other.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK. Several years ago, I was in the K-Mart security office, watching a surveillance video. They had suspected a head cashier of some monkey business and set a camera on her station. She was allowing her friends to come through the checkout, pay for a couple of things, and let a few large items through without paying. Presumably, they got together and divided the loot later.

They took no action. They would not fire her, nor would they prosecute. Why? Afraid of being sued.

Case law establishes precedent. That's why there are lawyers and law books. If similar cases have been filed, and won, those cases set precedent.

I think our cycle mechanic needs a good labor lawyer. It is only my uneducated opinion, but I think he has a good case.

And, my email was also returned. I guess the boss was tired of reading about what a jerk he is and turned it off.

• Options
    edited November -1
    tr, take a look at the 14th admendment of the Constitution. Equal protection is what I am talking about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Case law is what will prevail here. This will not likely be an unheard of finding... Just a while back on Case record GB66475 Dances with Sheep vs. Mateo .. DWS claimed Mat had a junk HK and he was a yahoo. Mateo claimed DWS was a hillbilly. Moderator set them straight.. said DWS couldn't be a yahoo without being a Hillbilly. Mateo won the case.. of course he is an Attorney [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK. Several years ago, I was in the K-Mart security office, watching a surveillance video. They had suspected a head cashier of some monkey business and set a camera on her station. She was allowing her friends to come through the checkout, pay for a couple of things, and let a few large items through without paying. Presumably, they got together and divided the loot later.

They took no action. They would not fire her, nor would they prosecute. Why? Afraid of being sued.

Case law establishes precedent. That's why there are lawyers and law books. If similar cases have been filed, and won, those cases set precedent.

I think our cycle mechanic needs a good labor lawyer. It is only my uneducated opinion, but I think he has a good case.

And, my email was also returned. I guess the boss was tired of reading about what a jerk he is and turned it off.

I would like to be you and go back and get an update on what did or didn't happen to that thieving cashier. It is unlikely that he/she, in the end, got away with no puntative action being taken.

If for no other reason than how it would look to the other employees ; many of whom I can guarantee you also knew about the stealing.

Of course until Sears purchased Kmart I was sure they were going to go bankrupt. So maybe that is how they did run their business.

There will always be exceptions to every law, situation, etc. and maybe the Kmart theif was one of them. But if I was a multi-million dollar company I would not fear a $9.00 per hour cashier suing me. Especially if she was now going to be without an income.

doesn't anyone but me know about lawyers? Unless you have a "special case" racial, sexual discrimination, etc) or something like you suing an insurance company because of a physical injury (or suing a large companyh for personal injury) if you are able even find an attorney to take your case it will cost you a $5,000.00 cash retainer upfront and then about $150.00 per hour for that attorney.

Only in the movies and a very, very few rare cases is it otherwise. And if you are now unemployeed how are you gonna come up with that much money to sue Kmart or anyone else?

I hope it doesn't happen to anyone here but I fear that many people might have a very hard lesson to learn about reality depending on the type of situation they find themselves in.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called Babbitt's, and spoke to a lady there. She said the employee won't be causing them any problem because "he has no brains." She even said the employee feels badly about all the publicity he caused and will be issuing a public apology.

Maybe she is right. "He has no brains."

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    tr, take a look at the 14th admendment of the Constitution. Equal protection is what I am talking about.

It is unlikely that unemployed mechanic can afford to, not only launch a lawsuit, but a lawsuit that will be decided on constitutional law?

Such a lawsuit would cost milions of dollars and take years to wind itself through the courts.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you get fired for being in a protected class, you DON'T NEED a lawyer. At least not a privately paid one. The Justice Department will provide one for you.

Cases like this are what labor lawyers live for.

• Options
    edited November -1
    If you get fired for being in a protected class, you DON'T NEED a lawyer. At least not a privately paid one. The Justice Department will provide one for you.

Cases like this are what labor lawyers live for.

Speaking from personal experience and first hand observations in KS & MO, the above is not true at all. Might be in Texas.

If you are a protect class (age, sex, relligion, etc) and get fired for one of those reasons you have to file a complaint through your federal OR YOUR state Civil Rights Office. Either office will instruct you to go out and FIND A PRIVATE lawyer. This will cost you money up front and ongoing. A little know fact is that if you really and truly cannot find such a lawyer, the judge in the case MIGHT help you by appoint a lawyer to go to work for you at YOUR expense. Now in some cases where the powerful want your case to be heard (based on religion, race, etc) then you might not have to do anything but continue to be the plantiff. but if you are about to get fired you cannot depend on that happening.

Trial lawyers first live to get paid. If you walk into their office with your case that is the first thing they are going to consider. Except in very, very rare cases.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not so tr, Federal court is divided into three sections. Federal District Court ( which are in Numerous cities ) Federal Appeals Court, and of course U.S. Supreme Court. This case would most likely go to State court first 6 months to a year( in which the employee would likely lose ) and then on the docket in District court.
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I just sent an e-m expressing my disgust...see what they say, if anything, and I'll post.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet Harley Davidson would do REAL good by hiring a lawyer for this guy. It would be right in line with that image they create regarding comraderie and sticking together as a group.

Yep....I'd be writing H-D a letter and sue the p*ss out of the owner. I'd turn it into an H-D store.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first job in manufacturing was with an OEM supplier to the Big Three. It was made very clear to employees that foreign were not wanted in the parking lots. Blue collar people who violated the unwritten policy were not fired . . . but they didn't get promoted. White collar employees just couldn't seem to perform to standard and were terminated "for cause" fairly soon if they brought one of the foreign models to work. It sucked but it also made sense . . . those imports weren't paying any of the wages in the place.

This guy is being a hypocrite. If he's willing to sell Harleys even if they were taken in trade, then he shouldn't beef about employees riding them.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    he'll probably get hired at the Harley shop just to spite that a-hole.

I wouldn't mind working at GM, making those big union wages, but you would see my Honda parked out front everyday. [:D]
  • Options
    kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "At will" won't protect the jerk. CA is an "at will" state and I've witnessed a number of incidents were hourly employees made out like bandits after being fired for stupid reasons. You can't single an employee out and fire them for something that is not directly work related and then hide behind an "at will" clause if the fired employee gets a lawyer and goes to war. In fact, in many cases they don't even need to get a lawyer, a quick trip to a Fair Employment and Housing office is often enough to start the war for free. Most companies of any size offer severance packages as bribes and "lay" people off rather than "fire" them so that they don't have to spend a fortune defending themselves in court.

Employers are beginning to pry too much into the personal lives of employees. I've been following this sort of thing for my blog, and I've found cases of people being fired for having guns in their cars on company parking lots, penalized for driving competitor's vehicles, suspended/fired for gaining weight (cocktail waitresses), fired for smoking at home and off the clock, etc. Even in cases where the terminations are upheld and the employer "wins", the employer ends up spending a fortune to defend themselves and take a horrible beating in the press.

If the Harley riding mechanic is so inclined, he can dish out quite a bit of punishment and will probably receive a large settlement.

http://Blog.LestDarknessFall.com
    http://LestDarknessFall.com
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "How would it look if my mechanic drives in on a competitor's product?" Babbitt said.

It would look like your mechanic didn't trust the crap your trying to pawn off on some other dumb shmuck. What an A-hole.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me play the devil's advocate. I wonder if he was trying to get rid of the guy due to other short comings of the mechanic? Just a thought. Maybe he should have bought a "Hardley" (anthing that looks like, sounds like, but ain't a Harley) OOOHHH! I am duck'n for cover on that one.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I remember when the Ford plant was here that made aluminum transmisson cases. It was the local joke that the union hourly lot was full of GM and Chrysler vehicles and the salaried lot was all Ford products. I guess the company had the last laugh as they closed it about 25 years ago and moved the production to Mexico.
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"Hardley" (anthing that looks like, sounds like, but ain't a Harley)

Nothing sounds like a Harley...some sound Harleyish at best[;)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not enter the Chrysler plant in Fenton Missouri driving a foreign car period, it does not have to be Chrysler just American made
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    You will not enter the Chrysler plant in Fenton Missouri driving a foreign car period, it does not have to be Chrysler just American made

Hope Chrysler management never realizes that there are probably a lot of foreign made parts in the "American made" cars that are allowed to enter the plant.

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:You will not enter the Chrysler plant in Fenton Missouri driving a foreign car period, it does not have to be Chrysler just American made

That's pretty darn hypocritical if you ask me. I seem to remember when Chrysler was about to close shop, and went crying to the government for a bail-out, on account of all the Japanese car companies undercutting their prices with better cars. And, at that time, ALL of Chrysler's small cars were direct imports from Mitsubishi in Japan.

Now, I have only owned two Chrysler products, both Dodge Caravans. One of them had a Mitsubishi engine. One had a Bosch windshield wiper motor from Germany. The CV joints, maybe even the transmission, came from France.

Last I heard, Chysler had merged with a German car company. I can understand not wanting a foreign car on the place. I don't want one on my place, either, but first they should make sure they aren't using ANY foreign parts or foreign labor in their own cars.

• Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    The guy has a Federal lawsuit against the employer. Equality of other employee's has been breached. Remember folks State and local law has no bearing on this. He may lose in State court first ( which he probably will ) then appealing to Federal District Court will get their attention. Under Civil Rights he has full enjoyment of his property and equal protection under state law. He was not treated equally if he were fired for driving something different.

Doubtful. Last time I checked, "Harley Owner" wasn't a protected class.