In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which college fraternity were you in?

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I know many here were in college at one time. I just spoke to one of my old fraternity brothers and he told me he's soon to be considered for President of the Board of Trustees of our college, so I just thought I'd ask.

As for me I belonged to Tau Kappa Epsilon - TKE.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ITK

I Tappa Keg! [:D][:D][:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Alpha Terra Alpha

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greeker on my campus we said "If you can't go Greek, go TKE!"[}:)]

I pledged Alpha Tau Omega, but then bought a car instead when I rolled mine.

He Dog
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proud to say Pi Lambda Phi; if I should move to NC, I look forward to seeing more of them, as the chapter was in that state.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Wanted to join the Pikes but they said I danr too much.[:D]

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigtire
    Wanted to join the Pikes but they said I danr too much.[:D]

That's DRANK too much!

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was trying to remember the laid back one I thought about rushing so that I'd have a place to live -- no other reason. The idea of a lot of company didn't appeal much -- I was afraid it would be distracting. So I got an apartment with another guy. Frankly, being a Cinema major, I now think if I'd been more outgoing (I was fairly introverted back then) I'd have had a lot more resources to appear in my little student films. The apartment was far more comfortable -- less challenging socially, but also fewer parties, a good thing. An apartment at college is a mixed blessing, but a frat is probably a killer if you drink too much.

As it was, I got the apartment, and then my roommate went into Sigma Chi anyway, though he never stayed over there -- his dad had been in it so he had little trouble getting in, which only turned me off further. I was never impressed by fraternities at all, except that I did used to drop in and drink their beer at parties on the way home from classes (!)

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    HeDog

I've heard it many times before, I took NO offense then - still don't.

On my old campus we only had 2 frat's, TKE's and Theta Zi's

Not a choice at the time. Don't regret my choice.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never joined one and no regrets.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sigma Nu. Founded in 1869 at VMI by three CSA vets.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And none meant Greeker, just reminded me. You must have been on a small campus; that would have been nice, I went to a State University and we had a pile. Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, TKE, Delta Sigma Phi, Sigma Alpa Mu, Pi Kappa Epsilon, ATO, Farm House, Alpha Gamma Rho, Phi Gamma Delta, Lamda Chi Alpha, and several others I can't remember. Over 20,000 on campus.

He Dog
  • vclubbvclubb Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greeker,

I am a TKE too.

Beta Omega Chapter out of SouthWest Missouri State, which has been closed down[:(][:(]

Greetings Brother,
    I was the Histor one semester, and one semester Rush Chairman. Still have quite a few of the shirts we had those years, including one I designed.

-Victor

"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity."
    Richard M. Nixon
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    UHK(that's:University of Hard Knocks)didn't have any.

[:D][:D][:D]
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Animal House.....[;)]
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PJ
    Sigma Nu. Founded in 1869 at VMI by three CSA vets.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"

Got the brand on your leg?
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Nope, not on your life. Never really was one for popularity contests. So, I did one better. My roommate was in one. So I got to go to all the parties, but didn't have to deal with all the bull sheet. Sigma Phi Epsilon (sp) was his.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Vclubb - Hi Back Frater! William81 same to your Dad if he is still with us.

For those who couldn't go to college or afford the time I know what you mean. When I went to school, Defiance College in NW Ohio, it only cost $4000 a year or there abouts. I had 3 different jobs during school and worked 2 shifts during summers. Besides the social aspect living in the frat hse was far cheaper than in the college dorms.
    But, there were a good bunch of guys and with many we're still talking regularly after 35 yrs and visiting with families annually. One of my frat bro's is a stockbroker and it's because of him my kids could afford college without having to bust their butts like I had to...and yes, they are deserving and appreciative of the help or they wouldn't have gotten it.
    Nothing against any other colors then or now.

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Phi Sigma Kappa

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    TAPPA KEGGA DAY

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USMC

If you need a Second Shot, YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE
  • LeveractionLeveraction Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kappa Sigma, at least thats what the tatoo on my leg says, those years are kinda fuzzy!!
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    SIGMA PHI EPSILON "Sig Ep"

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    Where I went to school several (most) fraternities were exclusionary or were focused on being BMOCs in some way, which held no interest for me. Mine was the exception, with a wide cross section of social levels and personality types: e.g., Jews and an Arab, rednecks and Yankees, jocks, Phi Beta Kappa, drunks, freaks, pool hustlers and card sharks who used their talents to pay their bills, vets and protesters, virtually anything you can name. We even rated a small article in Time magazine once because we were the first chapter of any national fraternity to allow female members (something I voted against, I admit). And it all worked, I think because we were committed to the idea of making it work, much the same mindset as is found in a successful marriage. I've often thought one of the "Animal House" writers had to be someone I knew, using a pen name, because so many of the characters so closely reflected individuals or composites of individuals with whom I lived. And no, I'm not going to give any clues on which character most resembled me other than to note that my "other" pre-"Iconoclast" nicknames in the House were "Wildman" and "Wolfman." [:D][:D][:D] Cost wasn't much different than a dorm or apartment, really, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    GDI[:D]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phi Kappa Psi.....Cal Epsilon Chapter. Beach
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "...were you in?"?! WERE? Not dead yet!

Delta Sigma Phi, Epsilon Pi colony, Eta Nu chapter

Not surprised to see a bunch of Teeks here, since it only takes a handshake to get in now....[}:)][;)][:D]

All inter-fraternity sniping and rivalry aside, a fraternity can be a valuable support/learning tool, and lead to great contacts down the road. While it's definitey not for everyone (no beef with those who decided it 'wasn't for me'), but for those who like to slam the greek system, we have initials for you.... G D I (and it's not a compliment of your ability to stand on your own).

Iconoclast - I'm very proud that mine was the first to accept both Christian and Jewish members (back in the 1800's that was a little scandalous). We believe that the belief in God is essential to our welfare, what your notion of "God" is, is up to you. As for the nicknames, mine was Bluto (and it had nothing to do with Popeye[xx(])

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Hey, that's a waste of a good pickle[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

• SkipVanSkipVan Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Along with six other relatives - Gamma Kappa chapter of SIGMA Nu; and proud of it.

My son is a TKE and my daughter is a KKG.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tappa Kegga Brew! Our siser sorority was Iata Pi!

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Got the brand on your leg?

quote:Originally posted by SkipVan
    Along with six other relatives - Gamma Kappa chapter of SIGMA Nu; and proud of it.

My son is a TKE and my daughter is a KKG.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    frats on my campus are for rich long island kids that are loosers

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I'm not a joiner and I certainly wouldn't want to be a part of any organization with any sort of hazing rituals or that excluded peole because of class, skin color, ethnic origin, etc. I once thought about joining The Society Of Hermits. Then I read that the organziation never took off because nobody would attend a meeting.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. THE ONLY FRATS WE WERE IN WAS THE ONES WE WERE TAKING THEIR BEER KEGS AND WOMEN.....[8D][8D][}:)][}:)][}:)][B)][:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • vclubbvclubb Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was also a Marine.

I led a very interesting life. I went into the Marines at 17 got a medical discharge a year later. Bummed around for a couple of years, then accepted Christ as Savior, Went to Bible College for three years transfered to SMSU and finished there. While in college joined TKE mainly because I wanted to go into politics and wanted the connections for later in life. Ended up having nothing to do with politics went back in the ministry and have been all over the country. And now am going to go help start a church in Denton, Texas.

Talk about a wild ride

-Victor

"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity."
    Richard M. Nixon
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    Hey, that's a waste of a good pickle[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

Trust me, that's only the tip of the iceberg. It's amazing how stupid you get with too much alcohol in your system.

Woodshermit - the whole point to a fraternity is not exclusion, but inclusion. A gathering of likeminded individuals of similar beliefs, to share and support and grow together. Were there individuals and organizations that didn't get that whole concept? You betcha. But were human, not perfect. As for hazing, the unfortunate thing there is that it is too easy to get out of hand, so while some rituals can have a profound and necessary effect in general the practice is so dangerous that most if not all fraternities have banned it.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    GDI.

Although I must say I drank alot of their beer. Was asked to pledge to two different frats. One I found too stuffy as I passed food the "improper way" at dinner. The other I told them I could not join their house as they had the rep of being well let me put politely "light in their loofers" and I explained that I would have to rip someone's head off if they ever accused me of participating in that lifestyle. Little did I know I was the man they wanted as they were trying to get rid of their rep and wanted a red necked bar room brawler to toughen up their image. Still had to turn them down.
    edited November -1
    woods, as I noted in my last post, not all fraternaties are exclusionary. familyguy nailed it when he said the best ones are INclusionary. I daresay virtually anyone here would have felt at home with the group we had in mine, "joiner" or not.

• timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Greeker - Your post brought back good memories. Kappa Sigma here. Your guys had the fire pumper? But that was a long time ago and I'm probably wrong. We had a good house, a couple of flatboats, lots of hunting and fishing. One of my brothers & I met several fine folks who had us hunting doves and ducks near town after meeting them while setting our endless trap lines for field mice. Still fairly close to several of the bros and their families - weddings, funerals, baseball games, etc. The frats then weren't so exclusionary and lots of us worked jobs on and off campus. My old chapter has gotten pretty rowdy now, in and out of trouble with administration - my daughter, a Kappa Delta and a recent graduate, wouldn't go near them. Things change.
  • LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Delta Tau Delta, Delta Epsilon Chapter, University of Kentucky.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brother Pabooger!

Phi Sigma Kappa here!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security