In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what was the best fish you've had?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
since i was a kid i always remember a silver salmon my dad cooked in tin foil baked in an oven. i don't really remember what he all used to prepare but just that it was great. i've had many great fish meals but that one always stands out.

www.alaskancampfire.com

Comments

• Options
    orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word...Walleye.
  • Options
    925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when hikeing up a trail called staircase in the olympics we stopped to make camp (very hungry) I droped a fly in the river and pulled out a barely legal rainbow( he must have been as hungry as me)he grabed it before it hit the water,we cooked it up and split it bettween the three of us, tasted mighty fine after hikeing half a day.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I'm with you on this one 925. We hike to some mountain lakes in Mount Rainier park and fly fish from float tubes. The last trout planting took place in 1972 so they are all wild rainbow trout that average 16", but can reach 20" and have a dark pink meat. Filleted, Pan fried in butter flavored crisco with flour and cajun powder has to rank one notch above any fish I have ever eaten. Not to mention the funnest to catch with fly gear and light leader.
  • Options
    redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad and Mom sent a care package one time with smoked sturgeon in it, that has to be my most memorable piece of fish.

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    I'm with you on this one 925. We hike to some mountain lakes in Mount Rainier park and fly fish from float tubes. The last trout planting took place in 1972 so they are all wild rainbow trout that average 16", but can reach 20" and have a dark pink meat. Filleted, Pan fried in butter flavored crisco with flour and cajun powder has to rank one notch above any fish I have ever eaten. Not to mention the funnest to catch with fly gear and light leader.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    It is a tie between some 1-2 lb bluefish caught and cleaned and eaten right away or some little brookies caught on the flyrod and panfried for lunch with some wild mountain onions and butter.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negi-toro maki. Also, tekka maki and hamachi.

Fugu was the most expensive (and the most exciting!) but not necessarily the best tasting...in fact, it was almost tasteless.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Ever wonder what all the fuss is about flounder? Don't taste like much of nothing to me. Use to BBQ shark in the winter when work was slow. Bunch of us year round islanders all broke in the winter months would use calves liver in the surf to catch a couple small sharks. Soak the meat in ice water overnight and BBQ it on the grill for a neighborhood feast next day.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alaskan Salmon cooked on the grill - with an ice cold beer.

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Nothing better than a batch of Crappie fillets fried in beer batter!! Hell it's the next best thing since sliced bread and better than eatin beans!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh tuna steaks bbq'd.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh caught panfish, bluegill, crappie, in my special batter.
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A great big pan of BLUEGILL is mighty hard to beat but then SQUAW CANDY is right there at the top also. been several years since I had any real indian made squaw candy.[:p]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On some cold crisp mornings, I like to jump in the old jeep and go down to my favorite place for fish. I just drive up to the box and say, "One Mcfish burger please". You can't match the care that those people put in preparing your catch of the day...Hmm, hmmm.........[:D][}:)][;)]
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lake-Erie Perch![:p]

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • Options
    SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the best since I have had about every fish out there.. But at the moment.. I woundn't mind having a platter of fried mullet and some mullet gizzards.. some good eating there!!

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,345 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in Georgia on largemouth bass.
    On my first trip to Ontario, I saw the light.

Walleye. Catch one, pull over in the canoe, light the fire and fry him up. Nothing better.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Any fish is the best...love it...

358Winchester

I too love Squaw candy....can buy it in the stores where I was born...havent had any since I left and had forgotten about it...

but have found a recipe for it...look familiar?..

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Recipes/Canning/salmonjerky.html

I remember the stuff was expensive but the prices in California are a bit out of line...49.99 a pound....
    A web site in Alaska sells it for 23.99 a pound...bit better...but its soooo worth it...
    http://www.welovefish.com/alaska_seafood.htm

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh Halibut

FISHING_2.jpg

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • Options
    FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid we would go to Louisiana to my uncles and go catch redfish, My aunt would make it so it just would melt in your mouth. That along with the fresh shrimp was some good eatin
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks BR I had one but lost it now I have a reason to go back up north and fish,[:p] all I have to do is talk the wife into changing her vacation plans from going to Ohio to see the grandkids to Ak. to fish shouldn't be to hard a job[;)]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A prehistoric looking fish at the headwaters of the Amazon in Iquitos, Peru. These monsters can go several hundred pounds. Don't recall the name but they were the best ever.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TUNA. Can I say that?!!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    pvfrmrpvfrmr Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My next one!!!!
  • Options
    crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walleye is hard to beat!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alittle swordtail named ralph. O you mean to eat o walleye for sure.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'm with Pa'! Nothing like a fresh batch of Crappie![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Yellow Fin Tuna! Bar none in my estimation.

If you put it in an egg wash, lightly dust it in flour and a crushed garlic seasoned crouton mix then sautee it in butter you can't tell it from fresh veal. [:p]

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    #1 Walleye
    #2 Walleye
    #3 walleye
    #4 crappie
    #5 perch

Anything else just tastes like rotten fish (especially tuna).
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    Lake-Erie Perch![:p]

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"

You know what your talking about!

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Walleye and jumbo perch [but not out of lake Erie anymore!]

I also love that Halibut!

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This a tough one!! Can't argue with an Ontario walleye shore lunch..Also agree with the crappie/bluegill...How about crick bullhead breaded and fried in butter...[:p]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Swwbo
    Don't know about the best since I have had about every fish out there.. But at the moment.. I woundn't mind having a platter of fried mullet and some mullet gizzards.. some good eating there!!

Chihuahua_mexican.gif

I Love Smoked Mullet [:p][:p][:p]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love sushi -- don't get it since I moved back to the wilds of Northern Indiana. I'm a lobster man above all, if I can find one that melts in my mouth. And there used to be a little 10x10 storefront grill in L.A. that cooked great fresh-grilled shark tacos that I still miss to this day. The best lake fish is anything right out of the skillet. I do like fresh catfish -- don't understand people that claim not to like "fishy fish." It's like saying I don't like steaky steak. [:D] And I clean and fillet my own lake fish -- bluegill, perch, bass, the rare pike -- but somebody else usually cooks them up for me to eat. I once took a half-day trip out in a small cruiser off Miami and caught a porpoise and a kingfish -- salt water fish are mighty good eating.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It just came to me....Somewhere WAY outside Nawlins, 35 yrs. back, there was a little shack of a place called Coolong's...Gulf shrimp served on newspaper and roaches making tracks in the sawdust on the floor....Oh, Lord, I can still taste 'em......The shrimp, not the roaches!!!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh caught South Dakota glacial lake walleye and perch seasoned with onion flakes and parsley. Put it in tin foil with a dallop of butter and throw it on the grill.

Some powerful good eatin' boys...

We do this late spring and fall when the fishing is real good at the brother-in-law's cabin up near the North Dakota line. A little piece of heaven!

Justice through Valor

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war" Psalm 144
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Swordfish and grouper. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Sea Bass, Mahi- Mahi,(dolphin) Red Snapper. Oh yeah Baybee!!

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Options
    SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF me too...Had some the last time I was in FL... As a child my grandfather would smoke them.. some good eating there... Here in Virginia you can't get mullet..I used to go down by the water and watch my Grandfather and Dad throw the cast net many times..By the way talk about an art... My father can make a cast net.. I would ask him to make me one but I know the hours of labor there..Heck the first thing I ever drove was a wooden skiff power by an out board motor.

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh bluegill or crappie grilled, with Tiger Sauce sprinkled on while it cooks. Of course this is while camping by the river.[:D]

Woodstock.gif
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."