In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you think of your job?

2»

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get paid to do what would be a hobby if I sold shoes. Been at it since 1972, it must be pretty OK most of the time.

He Dog
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I'm the person who comes to your house and sez, "Get you chit together and take care of these kids, or the next people who come to visit you will be Child Protective Services, and they won't be nice at all." Love my job? Depends on what day you catch me....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my job too..
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I do! I love what I do, and every day is a new adventure![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've been here going on 28 years.In those 28 years I've seen really good times and really bad times.My boss started this business in 1948.
    A one man show body shop.Over the years it grew to 4-5 men and along the way he added glass to his business.He started with automotive glass,then later got into the residential side of it,then,in the early seventies he ventured into the commercial end of the glass business.His business has (overall)been very successful and he is a very wealthy man.I(for the most part)have enjoyed working here,but the last couple of years have been rough.The body shop,which I have managed for the last 25 years or so suffered last year and things haven't really picked up much yet this year.

Last week,we all got notice that he has now "officially" retired.This is what we have all kinda been waiting on since we all know that things usually go smoother without him in our hair.He's 78 years old and the the only right way is his way and it's always been that way.

I used to see him on rare occasions as far as a "sit down and talk"
    was concerned,or if there was a serious problem.

Retired??? Hell,he's been in here 4 times in the last 2 weeks running me over the coals as to what the problem is!!He's a tough old German and there's no convincing him that things are just a bit slow and we're doing all we can with what we have.

Do I like my job?

NO!!!

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Machinist here....I like what I do. I like the people I work with. I just wish the company would stop tryng to screw us at every turn. You don't get a raise unless you scream at them like a lunatic..
  • SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my job!! As most of you know (by my signature and logo), I am a Paramedic. I work 12 hour shifts. I work two days one week and five days the next week. I truly love what I do. I just hate the runs that involve kids. It's heart-wrenching to see them sick or hurt...especially now that I have a two year old son.

EMSParamedic.gif
    I'm clear, you're clear, everybody's clear...SHOCK!!!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I work for myself and by myself. Building and/or repairing all knds of things keeps me from getting bored usually. Gets harder to find something to work on that I haven't already done a dozen times the longer I've been at it.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my job, I work at a remote hatchery in the middle of Tongass Natl. forest, good pay, free three bedroom house with all utlities, free internet acess, on the ocean, and free dock space.It does have it's down side but it all depends which side of the gilded cage your looking from. A lot of guys spend one winter here and by by, can't take the isolation, but I like it, not a lot of people can do it.Our boss comes out for about five days a month and we are left to do what we do and it works.We put about $14,000,000 into the economy not bad for 6 full time people. I take my dogs to work with me go hunting on the weekend or at lunch sometimes(right out my backdoor), if I want a fish for dinner I just go get one. A 21 century pioneer.
  • riverguide323riverguide323 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my job! Most people think it's all fun in the sun, and it was back when i was just a guide, but now that I own the business. It's definetly not as fun. I'm in the office, on the computer or phone, or driving shuttles, or doing public relations most of the time. But, when my clients come in off a trip, and I see smiling faces, I think its all worth while. I like being able to put a little adventure into peoples lives.
    Want some adventure?
    Come see us!
    www.river-source.com
    [8D]

.................................................................................................
    "Pure wildness is the one great want, both of men and of sheep (John Muir)."

"In Wilderness is the Preservation of the World (Thoreau)."
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I used to like my job in IT in the USA. Now it is being done in Canada.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Oh, I better add that now I'm doing a little buying and selling antique and collectible sporting stuff and planning to work in sales at a nursery in a couple of months. Both are and will be enjoyable, but, the IT job paid much more and had great benefits. It was just one of many jobs lost during the past couple of years.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    no job here been job hunting like crazy i need to get 1 very soon!!!!!!!!!!!

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Being disabled for many years, I would love even a bad job!
    Sitting around all the time is a prison cell on death row!

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my job! .......B.B.