In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ducati Bikes

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Everyone seems to rip on Harleys. What do y'all think of a Ducati?

signew.JPG

"In a world of compromise, some don't."

anim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gif

Utica.gif

Comments

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best there is.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a new bike by Yamaha?

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    f01.jpg
    need I say anything?

BTW I hate Harleys

Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Glock 19C
    Cav Arms CAV-15 MKII(AR-15)
    S&W 19-4 .357 Mag 6" bbl
    Henry Lever Action 22Mag
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    Collection2.JPG
    banner-big.jpg
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont care for Harleys much myself.I LOVE BUELLS though.Harleys just take to much money and time to make faster and easier tighter handling bikes.Like I said on one of the other posts.You just cant beat the Japanese for having motorcycles in check.As for Ducati's.They are beautiful bikes.The most beautiful next to the MV Agusta.i have ridden 2 in my time.a 916 and a 900Super Sport.I was not impressed with the Super Sport but the 916 was one of the best bikes I have ever been on.The balance of the bike is second to none.Everything on that bike was perfectly engineered.Everything from seat height to ride angle to handlebar reach to power to weight was flawless.Wish I could afford one.They arent the fastest and they donthave the most power but the way they are engineered make them able to run at the front of the pack next to any other bike on the track.The Italians sure have a way of making anything with a motor into a high performance work of art.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    phxtravis--I've been drooling over the 999R. Why did you have to go and do that? I thought I was over my Ducati fixation by now[:p]

dancing_spiderman.gif
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Ducati's are some badass bikes!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Seeing as you asked. Them things are the Ferraris of motorcycles. Riding a BMW right now and going to add a Ducati to the stable one day soon. Yes, excellent motorcycles!
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at Ducati (as well as Laverda and Moto Guzzi) many years ago when I was first shopping for a street machine. Back then these Italian bikes were quirky, importation was spotty and parts were tough to find at best and nonexistant at worst so I chose to go with BMW and have been on Beemers ever since. The past few years have been a transformation for Ducati (and death for Laverda and others) with dealers, parts and service much more available than they were 20 years ago. I would not hesitate to make the Ducati purchase today that I passed on two decades ago, if I were once again in my twenties rather than my forties! My K1200RS is sporty enough for me these days and has the correct amount of snob appeal to keep the Harley boys in check-- those HD paint jobs are top notch however! Where is the money coming from for such an extravigant purchase roboman or are you just kicking tires and branching out from firearms dreams to dreams of motor viehicles?

Mark T. Christian
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark Christian whats the performance on the 1200RS like.I was looking arond at bikes and no someone with one to sell.I like the looks but he was real wierd about letting me ride it.He is asking $6995.00 but I dont know about BMW bikes.
  • ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOT for the faint of wallet.Loud clutches save lives!!

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I looked at Ducati (as well as Laverda and Moto Guzzi) many years ago when I was first shopping for a street machine. Back then these Italian bikes were quirky, importation was spotty and parts were tough to find at best and nonexistant at worst so I chose to go with BMW and have been on Beemers ever since. The past few years have been a transformation for Ducati (and death for Laverda and others) with dealers, parts and service much more available than they were 20 years ago. I would not hesitate to make the Ducati purchase today that I passed on two decades ago, if I were once again in my twenties rather than my forties! My K1200RS is sporty enough for me these days and has the correct amount of snob appeal to keep the Harley boys in check-- those HD paint jobs are top notch however! Where is the money coming from for such an extravigant purchase roboman or are you just kicking tires and branching out from firearms dreams to dreams of motor viehicles?

Mark T. Christian

You know mark, I was just wondering about them. Am I allowed to do that? Does every question I ask have to mean that I'm dreaming of buying said item? Excuse me for being curious and willing to learn about something.

Key-rist almighty.[xx(]

signew.JPG

anim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gif

Utica.gif
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Excuse me for being curious and willing to learn about something.

Key-rist almighty.

C'mon ROBO I think Mark was trying to be friendly by showing an interest in you...

Relax bro! We love ya brother!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

quote:Excuse me for being curious and willing to learn about something.

Key-rist almighty.

C'mon ROBO I think Mark was trying to be friendly by showing an interest in you...

Relax bro! We love ya brother!

I highly doubt that. Aside from the excellent firearm advice he gives me (I honestly do appreciate it) is the constant prodding and heckling about what I'm asking about. He's outright told me I'm too unfocused to follow my dream in life and said I have ADD. I'm tired of being Mr. Nice Kid who is looking for info. I'm just plain sick of it. I appreciate his firearm advice however.

signew.JPG

Utica.gif
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    So THAT was what that red streak that passed me on my HD was ?!?!?

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry roboman but I think that you need some prodding now and then to keep you focused and if I'm being too hard on you then you have my appologies. My opinions on Ducati motorcyles are the same whether or not you are fact finding or making a purchase in the future and I hope buy your bike when you move to a warmer climate because its too damned cold where you live to go ridding now! How did the skating go this evening?

Mark T. Christian
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry roboman but I think that you need some prodding now and then to keep you focused and if I'm being too hard on you then you have my appologies. My opinions on Ducati motorcyles are the same whether or not you are fact finding or making a purchase in the future and I hope buy your bike when you move to a warmer climate because its too damned cold where you live to go ridding now! How did the skating go this evening?

Mark T. Christian

Non-existent. Stupid rink cancelled the public skate.

signew.JPG

Utica.gif
    edited November -1
    I can see why you are a bit off your feed this evening (as Grandpa Christian used to say). Is this cancellation a a one time occurence or will you have to find a new facility to do your skating. You know Rory, I really do like you and so do all the rest of us here on Gun Broker, but you have to keep in mind that most of us here are considerably older than you (lots of these guys have sons your own age) and by hanging around with us old guys you are just leave yourself open to quite a bit of teasing. You've also told us WAY MORE about yourself in an open forum than most of us would ever dream of asking you personally and as a result many would feel that we can speak to you more frankly than someone who just sits quietly on the sidelines and posts every once and a while. I'm going to make a real effort to be kinder and gentler to you because I can see that you are really a sensitive young man and perhaps this forum and the members on it are more than just a source of firearms information to you. Get a good nights sleep roboman, everyhting looks better first thing in the morning.

Mark T. Christian
    edited November -1
    I can see why you are a bit off your feed this evening (as Grandpa Christian used to say). Is this cancellation a a one time occurence or will you have to find a new facility to do your skating. You know Rory, I really do like you and so do all the rest of us here on Gun Broker, but you have to keep in mind that most of us here are considerably older than you (lots of these guys have sons your own age) and by hanging around with us old guys you are just leave yourself open to quite a bit of teasing. You've also told us WAY MORE about yourself in an open forum than most of us would ever dream of asking you personally and as a result many would feel that we can speak to you more frankly than someone who just sits quietly on the sidelines and posts every once and a while. I'm going to make a real effort to be kinder and gentler to you because I can see that you are really a sensitive young man and perhaps this forum and the members on it are more than just a source of firearms information to you. Get a good nights sleep roboman, everyhting looks better first thing in the morning.

You can treat me however you want. Go ahead and stick to the old ways if you so desire. You don't have to be kind to me unless you want to. People here have been saying I need a good kick in the nads and a thick skin so lay it on me. I've seen other posts you and others have posted. It's fun to read about yourself getting insulted. Bring it on if you want. Lay the worst on me. And as for my sharing of information, that was just plain stupid. If I could go back in time I'd never do it in the first place.

signew.JPG

Utica.gif
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Roboman--I think I'm one of the young pups participating in this thread so I probably have a closer perspective with regards to what you are saying. Heck, I can never keep my attention on one gun. I start looking at the gun budget (yes, I do budget for that) and see it grow albeit far to slowly. Then I start thinking about what I would like to purchase next. I set a goal for what I would like to buy and then my mind changes as soon as the money starts to materialize. Yep, I probably have ADD when it comes to guns. Ever been in a social situation where you are surrounded by beautiful women and you can't focus on just one? Your eyes just bounce all over the place. I'm that way with guns. I surf Gunbroker and think that I've found what I want and then I walk into a gun store and all of my attention is lost. I wander around just as confused as I was before I made a decision about what I wanted in the first place.

People who pay attention will notice that my threads go the same way that yours go. One day I'm asking questions about ATV's. Then I'm asking about milsurp rifles. Then I'm asking about the EAA Witness Pistol. Then I'm asking about Marlin lever guns. I'm like you. I see something that I like and I start asking questions.

I can only give you one piece of advice that I've learned over the years here. Even when the ribbing gets rough here (yes, I've experienced it), don't forget that it's just Gunbroker. It's the internet and that's just a computer screen in front of you. Sorry to hear the rink was closed tonight. I grew up with ice skates on my feet. They started me off in kindergarted gym class. It's great recreation and exercise. As a matter of fact, one of the most romantic experiences that I ever shared with the woman of my dreams happened 9 years ago at a skating rink in Central Park. Don't give up.
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would take one over a Harley anyday.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I will stick to the subject.[}:)]

Ducati - sexiest bike ever made. My dearly departed best friend had two loves -- his wife and his Ducati. He had the 999 Monster bike I think they called it sitting in his Diningroom with 36 miles on it. what a piece of art![:0]

However, when we slurged and went to Italy for a bike trip he insisted that we rent Ducati. His performed flawlessly. Mine had the alternator and clutch go the first day. The second day the fuel pump went. The rental company then delivered to me the reliable always dependable, nearly as sexy BMW R1100S. I hit a truck with that one and it still kept carrying me down the autostrata.

Ducati is known for its quirky electrical system, which (sorry female members) gives it that femine quality of being totally sexy and aggravating all at the same time.[:D]

I would love to have one in the stable however!!![:)]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    roboman

I have not read all the post yet, Unless you are going to be a serious road racer, forget it! I am not saying that to be mean,
    I have seen pro riders take 1/2 the bike and eat the novice guy on a 969 for lunch.

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a former road racer (CMRA/WERA) I agree with FrancF. The Ducati is a beautiful work of art. So very sexy and desireable. I owned a 900ss Superlight for a very short time, and have ridden many others. They may look like other sportbikes, but looks are where the similarities end. They require a much greater understanding of the physics of motorcycles, and much larger cajones to be ridden as God (who is a biker) intended. The V-twin motor does not rev as high and as quickly as an inline 4, therefore you must hold throttle open deeper into a turn, and be off the binders and accelerating earlier in your exit. The Duc's are built for this. Set a 996 next to a GSXR-750. Compare the size. The Duc is much smaller, even though it displaces 250cc's more. Its slim profile and light weight in conjunction with the superior suspension and braking components make it even more agile than my beloved Yamahas. They haven't changed their motor design in over 60 years. Desmodromic valves. Oh God they are a thing of beauty, and now I want another one. Any jacka$$ can be fast on a YZF-R1, but it takes true talent and skill as a rider to be just as fast on a Duc. Not all of us have that ability, not me. I'll have to be happy on my Yamaha.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere there is a picture of me as a six year old sitting on a Ducati Desmo that dad chopped. I have alot of fond memories of that bike.

Now would I ride that red one. Sure, just give me a week with it and my daddy's old hacksaw and welder. A real man doesn't ride around with his butt in the air like an invitation to fairies everywhere. If I were gonna buy a bike and my only choices were the ones made in italy. I'd buy the Moto Guzzi. At least it's a V twin.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 916/996 series were the most beautiful sportbikes ever made. The 999s are pretty ugly in comparison. What amazes me though, was that though they haven't always been the lightest, or the most powerful, they've always managed to be very competitive in racing. On the downside, from what I've heard, adjusting desmo valves ain't a picnic, and it's got to done more often than more conventional valve-trains.

The 996 is one of my dream bikes. Someday.....
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my nephew gotta naked black monster. nice bike. no glass, great handling, but why 8,000.00 for a bike that will get a ticket for anything over 65 and still get road grit on it? because...as long as people buy them, they will charge you. speed and flash sells and ducati is the leader at it. and maybe because they win all the races worldwide too. their resume' looks pretty impressive when speed is important. and young buffs want speed. its a domination thing in todays generation. without the best, men feel impotent unless they are top dog. (how barbaric!) my 73 CL450K5 is still fun to ride and gets me from point a to point b. and for fun, i pull out the 75 H2C. i can still take him in the first 10 seconds. "domo onegoto, mr. hirihito." and i only paid 1500.00 for mine 28 years ago! btw...the H2C IS FOR SALE. ANYONE WANT IT? eamil me! only 8000 miles on it. oh, and have fun changing a ducati tire some day.$$$$
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolute overpriced junk. I never owned a duc, but a buddy of mine has a 1996 900sp. The damm frame cracked within the first 1000 mi. Ducati made good for a new frame. The new frame had extra tubeing in it but cracked two more times. Keep in mind this bike has never been wrecked or down and is adult riden. What a piece of crap.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    zr700 -- the bike must have been made the week before the August Italian Holiday month.[:(] That would be disappointing.

Wulf -- was that you that zipped in the turn on the Beartooth Pass last summer? My 1992 BMW100PD could not keep up in the turns (or the straight away).. Still think I would have caught the guy but my son was riding with me and stopped me and chewed me out -- NOT THAT was a change in roles![:D]

They do handle wonderfully, but they are not the IRONMAN of bikes for durability. They do win a lot of races however.

Wulf -- I am ready for your driving school. When and where will it be held?[8D]
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Desmodromic valves. Oh God they are a thing of beauty

Amen to that

I am a lover of all things that are unnecessarily overly mechanical

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Desmodromic valves, are they a pain to maintain? seems i was reading thet they had to be set every 1000 miles and it was somewhat of a choir to do. very expensive if you take it in to be done. anybody know for sure?

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Desmo are a BEEEAATCH to adjust!

I had a few Ducati's and loved every one!

750 Paso
    900 SS
    Superlight

Also had a Buell and loved that too!

But as I'm getting older I decided to try and live a little longer. Not anything to do with the bikes, I was the foolish one going down A1A at 100mph on my bikes acting like a plum fool!
    I kept my H-D and just like to cruise on that now, although I'm thinking of building a chopper.

I measured it and cut it twice, and it's still too short!
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    At the school for Marine Engineers, out chemistry teacher was a road racer and had beefed up his Ducatti, by removing excess material.
    Actually tweaking out a few more Horcepowers.

At a practise run, the darn thing skidded, threw him off and he folded around a 2"*4" piece of wood that was never supposed to be there.
    He's a vegtable now, can only blink for yes and no.

But Ducati's are in fact the top of bike-sports.
    Moto Guzzi were also pretty far ahead at it's time some years ago.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
    edited November -1
    Yes Hawkeye, the desmos are a pain in the * to maintain, but must be religiously looked after. Very few home wrenches have the skills to do a valve adjustment on a Duc, and the dealers know it. There was a Duc wrench in San Antonio, TX who would do it for $500-600 bucks. Thats the cheapest I've ever seen. Avg= $600-1000

Oh, and Plains. A shattered knee, mis-aligned vertebrae, and partially herniated cervical disk later I've decided that going stupid fast on a motorcycle is not prudent. Even on the track in my Dainese leathers, Shoei bucket, and full kevlar back protector it still hurts to fly, tumble, and flop around on the ground at 100+ mph. Plus, there is always someone faster. When the group ahead of me was always bigger than the group behind me, it was time for a reality check. Fun while it lasted. Not smart, but fun.

James

edited November -1
    What's more expensive--BMW or Ducati?

I was trying to find ballpark MSRP's for Ducati bikes but couldn't. Hmm...
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ducati.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75

BMW is more expensive. My '99 Ducati 900 Monster was about $11K
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still can't pass a 'Busa[:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends which models you're comparing. Most expensive Ducati is more than the most expensive BMW though. However, the cheapest Ducati is cheaper than the cheapest BMW bike.

quote:Originally posted by idsman75

I was trying to find ballpark MSRP's for Ducati bikes but couldn't. Hmm...
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mm. Run that 'Busa down into a chicane and see which end of a 996 you're looking at then.[:p] Power in the straights is one thing, agility in the twisties is another. I remember watching FUSA races where Rich Oliver would spank GSXR-1100's on his Yamaha TZ250. Superbike and GP racing is a great example of where size doesn't matter in the way most people think.[;)]

James