In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Have guns really progressed at all?

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
edited November 2006 in General Discussion
Of course guns have progressed from the days of muzzle-loading muskets, but after the introduction of the AK-47, have firearms really changed all that much?

One could argue that the introduction of polymer (ie, plastic) framed guns was a step forward, but what real progress has been made? What development has taken firearms into that next stage?

Take a look around at items in your house. A computer that's twenty years old has likely spent the last fifteen years gathering dust in your garage. A twenty year old AR-15, however, has lived long enough to be called a "pre-ban" and still functions as well as one Bushmaster made just last week.

When gun companies introduce "new" models, what's new about them? Oh sure, they might be made out of some rare metal that justifies charging an arm and a kidney for them or they might have a rail cut along the bottom, but all in all they look like and function akin to what's been out for years if not decades. Heck, Ruger's idea of a brand new gun was taking their Super Redhawk, lopping the barrel off, and tacking on "Alaskan" as a suffix.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh on the gun industry here, but I find it hard to believe that guns have reached the apex of design. As a gun owner and enthusiast, I look forward to each SHOT Show report (I can't attend as I am not an industry professional) and am disappointed each and every year as Armalite comes out with yet another AR-15 with another overly-long acronym to distinguish it from the other fifty-billion models they churn out.

I readily admit - it's the greedy, short-attentioned American in me that craves something new and novel every year... every six months if possible. But all joking aside, is it too much to ask the gun industry to provide both quality and ingenuity?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well to a certian point your are very correct. I belive I saw it on the history channel about military firearms and what is to come. They were basicaly saying that we have had very little change in firearms in the last fifty years and just slighty more from the time of "self contained bullet". In the history of firearms there have been leaps every so often and they always come faster each time. You started with a loose cord and a pipe full of poweded. Then you have the cord lock, then the flintlock, then caps, then metalic rounds, then current smokeless ammo. There opinion is that until we changed what we are shooting there is going to very little "true" change in firearms. Even though you are calling a AR-15 old the semi auto/full auto firearms have existed for 100 yrs now, not as front line weapons but they have been around. There is only so much you can do with firearms using the ammo we have now. When we get into lasers, or energy weapons of some sort or things I can't imagine yet then we will see real change. I think until then we will just see knock offs of what is already out there. Look at Kimber nice current gun but 100yr old style. Even looking at things like FN P-90 and F-2000 same old guns in cool new packages. There are sill lots of cool new guns I need.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    the real question seems to be "what else can they do?" There is not much more that can be had in firearms design, the only time you will see something truly new is when they invent a rocket powered bullet, Oops, thats been done (Gyrojet). Or maybe a self consuming casing, also been done (HK Caseless). The only thing you will see from now on will be improvements on exsisting designs such as electronic ignition and hydro numatic veriable dependent recoil systems
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are some things mankind got right on the first try: sex, radios you could tune with a knob, the internal combustion engine, and the self-contained metal-cased smokeless powder round inside of proven, fireable platforms.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The firearm design as it stands right now, using a metal case, metallic projectiles, and propellent have reached their zenith. Nothing but fluff on the basic design is to be expected.

What they fire can be improved, or at least made different.

How about a chemical laser in a self-contained cartridge that can be fired in a standard rifle or pistol? The cartridge would emit a focused energy beam down the line of sight for a quarter second or less and then be spent.

Automatic and semi-automatic weapons would require some type of powererd ejection device but pumps, revolvers, bolt actions, single shots would need nothing but the introduction of the cartridges.

The beam would not have a trajectory, but would be straight. Power would be similar to the present, small cartridges would have less power than larger cartridges.

Benefits? No lead, no riccochet except off a mirror, no barrel erosion, no projectile falling back to earth, no supersonic crack, in fact, weapons would be almost silent. Untraceable as to the weapon for those non-PC assassinations.

Okay Uncle Sam, this is a freebie. Turn to with the ammo makers.
  • Options
    Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Liquid clean burning propellent and electronic ignition. Imagine never having to clean a gun. If the propellent was carried in the frame (a la Buell) you could have a magazine holding dozens of rounds.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Joe Drees
    Liquid clean burning propellent and electronic ignition. Imagine never having to clean a gun. If the propellent was carried in the frame (a la Buell) you could have a magazine holding dozens of rounds.

No cleaning? [V]
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    quote:Originally posted by Joe Drees

No cleaning? [V]

Yep!
    No more huffin Hoppes #9[:0]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I think he wants phasors and disruptors.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't Beretta introduce the rotating barrel locking assembly in 1994?

Not sure if anyone had it before they did, but I know it is on the 8000 cougar.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Electronic ignition? Like the Voere, or the Electra-prime? Yeah, lets carry all the liquid propellant in a tank in the stock- like the early ball and cap repeaters. Of course, it DID get interesting when a spark made it back into the powder magazine. Yes, there are things that COULD change the design, and offer improvements in some areas. But in many, it will also impact RELIABILITY (Shoot him, Bart! Dang, my batteries is dead- Give me the jumper cables!) Check with your library, and find a copy of Firearms Curiosa by Winant- its out of print. You will find MORE weird, strange, and unusual guns between those covers than you can imagine- and it is an OLD book! How about a revolver that has a cartridge with a triangular cross section instead of round? No, not the Dardick- the .307 Schneelock triangular. Glove guns, 18 shot revolvers, 2 calibers in one revolver- a lot of answers in search of a problem! Now, if someone could just make some self-homing # 7 1/2 birdshot for those doves.....[:p]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A firearm is an inherently simple mechanical design. The physics of how a bullet functions are limited to if nothing else, the materials that bullets are made out of. (I have yet to see a bullet that can withstand say 5,000fps or more). When technology does try to enter into the firearms world, the market deems it as a gimic and it is a flop. The 1911 is an old design, the Ak-47 is an old design, things can be modernized and refined but shooters tend to like what they know works. Here's a link to a rifle that was an absolute flop, but the technology was actually prety impressive.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/1277311.html
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...from the time a trigger was added,your right...not changed any in the very "basic" way; pull the trigger, boom...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    The big advancement in firearms it the process to the end result. CNC machining, cold hammer forged barrels, injection blow mold plastics have all played a part in keeping firearms affordable.
    Could you imagine if guns were still hand made and hand fitted.
    Your Ruger P89 would cost over 1000.00 if it were done the old fashion way.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Could you imagine if guns were still hand made and hand fitted.

But it would probably rate right up there with a custom gun.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    quote:Could you imagine if guns were still hand made and hand fitted.

But it would probably rate right up there with a custom gun.

wouldnt that make it a custom gun??
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:Mk 19:

the real question seems to be "what else can they do?" There is not much more that can be had in firearms design, the only time you will see something truly new is when they invent a rocket powered bullet, Oops, thats been done (Gyrojet). Or maybe a self consuming casing, also been done (HK Caseless). The only thing you will see from now on will be improvements on exsisting designs such as electronic ignition and hydro numatic veriable dependent recoil systems

Hand held particle beam or laser 'gun' - using hunks of heavy metal flying through the air, IS quite primitive!, Mr. Spock![:D]
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Doesn't the relative simplicity of the basic design and operating principles employed make the gun - as we know it - unbelievably effective for its original purpose and intent? Does it's use not also transcend time?

Why fix what isn't broken?

As an example, today's cars are not better at getting you from point A to point B than granddad's Packard was. Faster? Yes. Smaller? Yes. Quieter? Yes. More economical on fuel? Yes. Air Conditioning, radio, CD, VCR, DVD, seat warmers, buckets, GPS, etc.? All a resounding "Yes". But granddad's Packard will still take you from Point A to Point B while you're sitting on your *.

And, if something goes wrong with granddad's Packard en route, a hairpin, paper clip, book of matches, roll of tape, etc. might just get you back and running again.[;)]
  • Options
    warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Electromagnetic acceleration guns. No cartridges, no primer, no powder, all you would need is the projectile. An EM field would provide the force to propel the bullet. The gun itself would have no moving parts other than the projectile. The technology is similar to that of railguns, all you would need is a power source small enough to fit inside the gun to generate the EM field.

Right now, EM guns are still practically impossible due to the power supply requirements and the requirment of extremely resilient and tough counductive materials to withstand the extreme forces of the gun. Maybe in a century or so we will get to see them.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about metalstorm those asuuies invented in that POS country of theirs.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    How is this, Siamese 223!
    Who said "Really Progressed at all"

http://tromix.com/Welcome.htm

Bet you never dreamed of these.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems the biggest advance in firearms is in the ammunition. Factory ammo today has achieved a level of consistency unmatched even 10 years ago. Better understanding of ballistics and expansion, as well as innovations such as Hornady's Leverution bullets, and more attention paid to balancing rotation rate with bullet length and mass have all improved the accuracy of firearms more than innovations in the firearm itself.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 65gto389
    What about metalstorm those asuuies invented in that POS country of theirs.

Is that the one that fires nearly a million rounds per min., and nearly
    as many grenades per min.?
    If so, that's the first thing that came to mind when seeing the title
    of this thread.[:D][8D]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:How is this, Siamese 223!
    Who said "Really Progressed at all"

http://tromix.com/Welcome.htm

Bet you never dreamed of these.

There is still nothing "NEW" here, just modifications of exsisting systems, cool mods, but still just mods
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Go to the "Projects Section" in the lower left corner.

Its a pair of siamesed M16's sharing a mutual gas system, thus the "Siamese 223".

Never did sell very well, although.
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that progress is being made at a significant pace, but the progress is in the refinement of the tool, not in the reinvention of it. The parallel to the automobile industry is a good one. My grandfather's '78 Coupe DeVille had most of the features of my dad's '99 Deville, and one was as comfortable to drive as the other. The '99 is more refined, does add a couple additional features like heated seats, gets twice the fuel milage, and is faster.

Look at the advancements made in manufacturing, and the benefits we have gained. We can buy relatively inexpensive 1911's, based on a 100 year old design, that shoot as well as custom guns that cost 3x the price. Savage builds a very affordable, and very accurate rifle.

Interesting innovations still happen, though. What about the Russian assault rifle that drops two shots in the space of one cycle?
  • Options
    scrollworkscrollwork Member Posts: 227 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hammer has been the same for hundreds of years and was designed to deliver a heavy blow to persuade an object in a certain direction.
    It is hard to design a hammer that is much more then it has always been designed to be. They have made advancements in hamer ergonomics but it is still a hammer in the basist of form.
    Firearms will remain similar to what they have been for the last 100 years. Anything that will be a major advancement will not be a firearm as we know it.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrollwork
    The hammer has been the same for hundreds of years and was designed to deliver a heavy blow to persuade an object in a certain direction.
    It is hard to design a hammer that is much more then it has always been designed to be. They have made advancements in hamer ergonomics but it is still a hammer in the basist of form.
    Firearms will remain similar to what they have been for the last 100 years. Anything that will be a major advancement will not be a firearm as we know it.

That is a good point about the hammer. In terms of updating and new idea would be the air or eletric nail guns. In this case the "ammo" (nail) is basicaly the same, but the delivery system is something totaly new. In gun terms the "bullet" has been the same all along. Now we have "bullets" in cases with all the stuff need to make them go boom (improved nail). The hammer would be like a muzzle loader and the air/eletric nail gun would be like a modern firearm.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So who really cares about new guns? For my truck, I want phasers and photon torpedos. The world would soon be better place.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    Didn't Beretta introduce the rotating barrel locking assembly in 1994?

Not sure if anyone had it before they did, but I know it is on the 8000 cougar.

Steyr used that on the Model 1911/1912 Steyr-Hahn pistol
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    One could argue

One can not argue here. Don