In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why is everyone so enamored with Walmart ?

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in General Discussion
They have zero selection, no expertise , do not take trades, will not do transfers for you, do not sell handguns and have no used guns to sell. Half the time you cant get anyone to wait on you ? Is it all about the price that makes people go there ? Really guys whats the big deal ?

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is all about the price.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As there is one located six blocks from my house, it is nice when I need some range ammo or cleaning supplies. As for buying guns, I still drive 100 miles to my favorite gun shop when I find something I need.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me, on cloudy days when the light is right in the early morning or at sunset, the image of the Blessed Virgin appears on the sliding doors leading out to the patio furniture. I have not found this to occur at either K-Mart or Target stores.
  • Options
    boliverthegreatboliverthegreat Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The walmart (s) that I go to have plenty of selection, are very helpfull. Sure, they dont have much expertise in the hunting/fishing section, but ya got to tackle those battles a little diffrently. One of the wally's I go to has a great guy and gal working in that section. She knows the ammo and guns while He knows a great deal about the fishing.

It just depends on where you go and whoe is working the counter. If you run into "Sally Cosemetics" who was placed at the ammo counter for the day, take the time to explain to her about the item if it makes you frustrated. Hell, I sat one for over an hour one day explaining all that junk to a poor new kid that just started[;)]. He could'nt help the fact that Wally World is not very big on tech training[V].
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    For me, on cloudy days when the light is right in the early morning or at sunset, the image of the Blessed Virgin appears on the sliding doors leading out to the patio furniture. I have not found this to occur at either K-Mart or Target stores.

k-mart and target must not have reflective glass.

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL! Dances, that was a good one. I agree. The service sucks and there is no selection. They never have anything that I want. Convenient place to get ammo, game calls and hunting videos. That's about all it is to me.
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it will soon be the only choice so you might as well get on board
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart is GREAT if you want every small store in the vicinity to close.

I don't shop at Walmart and I don't like the fact that most of their crap is Made in China.

For those of you who only care about saving a few pennies, well, I think you're being short-sighted. Oh, and don't tell me about all the jobs created in the U.S. by Walmart; those jobs pay the same as working at McDonald's for Pete's sake...

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    If your talkin' strictly guns,ammo and related items,I haven't purchased a gun from Wally in about ten years and don't intend to anytime soon unless I run across one of these super clearances I keep hearin' about.Ammo and related "small stuff" is a different story.Keep in mind that in my town,Wally's is the ONLY PLACE to get any of this stuff.The nearest "Sporting Goods" store is 30 miles away through a whole stuff-load of new construction(Takes a good hour to get to it.).Sure,they claim to have over 2000 guns in stock(I believe it too 'cause I counted over 500 long guns on the rack and at least another 200 handguns.)Ammo out the wazoo and prices out the roof!

Now,if I can find what I need at Wally's,doesn't it make sense?

JMHO,
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wal-Mart isn't one of my favorite stores, and I don't care much for the Winchester 94 .30/30 rifle, but the next time they have a Winchester 94 .30/30 for $150.00 I'll be one of their loyal customers. Yes, I do business with my local gun shop. I think for that price he would go to Wallyworld with me. There used to be four gun shops in town. Three of them closed down before Wal-Mart opened up. The one that's left don't seem to be doing too bad.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We find the selection here to be great...We have a Super Walmart down the road, have no prob with service, and selection is great....I enjoy shopping there....

As for the prices,...cant beat them....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    gunguy30_06gunguy30_06 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a 10/22 for $150 is a good price @ Wally Word
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I much prefer going to my gunshop, cause the guys there like to chew the fat almost as much as I do, but it's hard to beat 15 rifled slugs for $5.64. I really hate Walmart and even more so I hate Iowa's 'only one firearm deer tag' BS.[V]

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO, I am not a Walmart fan, but if I hear of a bargain like the $200.00 Weatherby I bought, I will then spend money there.
    That is the 1st gun that I purchased from them in over 10 years.

I live in a small town. The closest gun shop is 35 miles away, which I do trade with.

BTW, my brother ran a gun shop for 10 years. The locals bought at Wally and then wanted him to take care of their problems. [:(!].

The only reason that he survived as long as did against Wally , was to sell the items, that they did not carry: Quality handguns, police items, and reloading supplies.

but, this was not enough to survive, as the locals tend to buy at gun shows and mail order.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life

PM Ashley 681 AF & AM, York Rite Mason
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy guns from Wal-mart for a # of reasons. I ain't made of money. I've saved as much as $300 on one gun from what I'd pay down at one of the local dealers. As far as selection goes, Wal-mart can get almost anything you want (custom stuff excluded) from the major manufacturers within a week or so and you don't have to pay extra for shipping or transfer. And a lot of us don't care that much about service if we can save a lot. I know what I want, I can find the answers to my own questions, and just need them to ring me up. Besides, although I am sure there are plenty of good local shops out there, every time I stop at one around here it's like going to a used car lot. Sometimes they outright lie to you, often exaggerate, and always try to convince you the gun you want isn't good enough and you should get the more expensive one. If that's "service" I don't want it.
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Prices at Walmart are cheap yes. But Just having them in your community costs you a bundle. It raises your propoerty taxes and also costs you money because you have to pay for the medical care of the majority of the employees because they are all part time and they dont have insurance. So in the big picture you are actually losing money by shopping at Walmart.

(Yes I shop there but I try to limit it and Im concious of what it is doing to our community)

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by concealedG36
    Walmart is GREAT if you want every small store in the vicinity to close.

I don't shop at Walmart and I don't like the fact that most of their crap is Made in China.

For those of you who only care about saving a few pennies, well, I think you're being short-sighted. Oh, and don't tell me about all the jobs created in the U.S. by Walmart; those jobs pay the same as working at McDonald's for Pete's sake...

But the minimum wage goes a lot farther when you are using it to buy cheap crap from Walmart.
  • Options
    Ol Grey GhostOl Grey Ghost Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought we started a war with England over high prices? If they got it they got it cheap. If it's a firearm though, I use GunBroker.Com, but I buy the ammo at Wal-Mart and get my daughter's Associate's discount to boot.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,409 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Quoted by gun_runner

Prices at Walmart are cheap yes. But Just having them in your community costs you a bundle. It raises your propoerty taxes and also costs you money because you have to pay for the medical care of the majority of the employees because they are all part time and they dont have insurance. So in the big picture you are actually losing money by shopping at Walmart.

(Yes I shop there but I try to limit it and Im concious of what it is doing to our community)

Larry

I agree with what gun runner said.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    I try really hard to shop at locally owned stores. Sometimes, I can't help but shop at one of the big boxes.

Today, I needed vacuum cleaner belts. Wal*Mart sells Bissell parts, but I went to a local hardware store and found my belts. I probably paid more, but I saved time, and none of my money went to Bentonville or Beijing.

I needed a string trimmer, and wanted an Echo brand. I could have bought it at Home Depot. I could have walked out with one, with NO instructions, no tips bred from experience, no gas, and a unit that was never test run.

I went to Glen's Small Engine and bought an Echo trimmer from Mr. Glen Tucker, who is a local businessman. He and his wife, Rose, run the business, and they are decent, honest, hard-working people.

FOR THE SAME MONEY as Home Depot, I got my trimmer full of fuel, loaded with trimmer line, adjusted and test run before I left the shop. And, my money stayed right here in Hunt County, Texas, and did not go to Atlanta, Georgia.

Sometimes, however, we have to shop the big boxes to find the selection we need. For me, it is NEVER about price, unless I find items I can resell that are marked well under wholesale.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well first off Wallmart is the ROOT of all evil and here is why I think so. I dont mind Target, K-mart, Shopko, ect because the way they prmote them selves. They say here is our cheep crap if you want it buy it if not have a nice day. Wallmart comes in like they are the Savior that you never had. They have low prices, good quality (that one kills me), more jobs, give money to the community, ect. Well it is all a load of crap. My town has a "Super center" no which I have never been too( in a town of 10,000). I use to go to the old one everyonce in a while. I have a new girlfriend who just loves the place and I have been there a few times lately. I have found several of the things that I normaly buy cheeper else where. Also when Wallmart first comes to town they run the store at a loss to bring people in, when there are few if any local business left to compete with they jack them back up. Sometimes they have good qualily stuff if they bought a close out somewhere, but I have still seen the items cheeper else where. This is where it gets funny agian lots of these items that cost more other places are because it cost more for the shop to get them. So in the end Wallmart is making more money on you then a local retailer would because they get the item cheeper. Sure they bring more jobs into the comunity but they are all low paying and/or part time jobs. The local business have gone away that were paying a reasonable wage but now you make less money so you have to shop at Walmart. The one thing I hate the most is they way they make themselves look so good in comunity. They give away $1000 here and there and get there pic in the paper everytime. Now the local business that use to give away $50, $100, $200, whatever never got this kind of PR. The reason that this one really sucks is that $1000 to Walmart is LESS then 5min in one check out line, where this could be up to 50% of a local business daily profit, but since they didnt give a $1000 no one cares. That is why I hate Walmart. If they came in like the rest of the discount chains and said here is what we have if you want it get it if not have a nice day I wouldnt Hate them. They come to your town and do a "hostile take over". They ran a really great South Park on Walmart this season, it is worth watching.

John
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In my opinion Walmarts here in CA are just about worthless and offer nothing better than can be found at Target. Now when you get out in the sticks, half way between Bentfork and BF Egypt and I spot a Walmart Super Store you can bet that I am pulling in! Those stores have everything under one roof and the selection and prices just can't be matched. I remember on this last road trip going into a Wall Mart in Montana and finding 5 quart jugs of Castrol Syntec synthectic oil for only $20 each which is well under most auto part stores cost. These super stores also sell food, have a big selection of toys, furniture, clothing, electronics, cameras, guns...its all there and its all at rock bottom prices!

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gun_runner

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif

Here we go with the monthly Walmart bash[:(!]
    1.Walmart isnt a gun store so dont expect a gun store selection.
    2.The majority of Walmart empoyees are full time,just because there are part time employees doesnt mean we pay there insurance because they sure wouldnt have any if they didnt work at all,thats a rediculous statement.
    3.Walmart pays thousands of dollors in property taxes that benefit locals.
    4.People want good prices,most of the products are the same as other retailers have but Walmart offers better price.
    5.Walmart does create thousands of jobs,biggest employer in the USA with very good benefits and pay if "you have incentive to work" My wife has worked for Walmart for 16 years and makes exellent pay for our area,great 401K,stocks/split 3 times,4 weeks vacation a year,sick pay,bonuses and much more.
    6.Walmart doesnt carry everything,if you want a specialty item or better quality clothing,go to Sears.Im a T-shirt/Hanes,Jeans/Wrangler kinda guy,they got um i buy um!

Ohio Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    [xx(] I refuse to do it, if I don't have the money to buy from a shop then I don't buy. I stopped buying from some of the larger sporting stores, like Gander Mountain, also, they stopped staffing helpful people so why shouldn't I stop buying [?]
  • Options
    PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.Oh yea,what other retail store is as pro gun/hunting/shooting/outdoor activities as Walmart is,maybe they should be supported for there efforts other than bashed because they dont have this or they dont have that.I here K-mart supports us 100%[xx(][xx(][:(!]

Ohio Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i hate walmart, but i'm poor and i'd rather save myself self 100 bucks than make the local dealer 100 bucks. i'll do my best to support him when he has good prices. bottom line is, i have to look out for my well being before i can take care of his. if you have the money to spend and can afford gun shop prices then by all means knock yourself out, but don't knock me down for trying to save some money. i'm 25, a student, and married. i can't afford much, so that's why i shop for rifles, shotguns, and ammo at walmart.

cody
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    It's called capitalism. Perhaps you've heard of it...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Wal-Mart opens a store in a small town,good bye local home grown stores with people who know what local people want.The old hardware store where I could buy a part for a Zebco reel or a part for a Coleman lantern or stove didnt last a year after Wal-Mart opened.Small towns turn into Wal-Mart towns.
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart drives the small shops/local stores to close.
    Walmart has some selection, lower end quality items.
    Walmart service is sometimes lacking, depending on the clerk.
    Walmart folks are rarely technically qualified on the products they sell, buyer beware.
    Walmart has low prices on some products that I buy there, particularily bullets and cleaning supplies.
    Walmart is more conveniently located than some of the FFL's.

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is Wal-mart? Kmart on steroids? hear alot about them. Nearest one is a 50 miles away [:D] We are anti-growth ya know. But we did just get a Homie Depot [:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys say the people in Wal-Mart don't know guns. Why should they have to? Shouldn't you be smart enough to know what you want when you go in?
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    You guys say the people in Wal-Mart don't know guns. Why should they have to? Shouldn't you be smart enough to know what you want when you go in?

<P>

bullseye! i don't give two craps if the little nerd behind the counter doesn't know which one is a remington and which one is a winchester, i do. just point and say "gimme that one!" buy your gun and leave. i don't need to pay extra cash for some guy to know the rifle i already know i want. if i want to do a transfer then i'll go somewhere they transfer it. if i want info on a particular firearm, i'll ask here.

cody
  • Options
    nam barneynam barney Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Biggest joke I ever saw was a book at wally world titled "made in america" Sam Waltons biography. Did you ever find anything made in America in his stores [:D]
  • Options
    3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well now, just got home from Walmart and sat down at the computer and saw this tread. My son and I went to wally world to pick up a christmas decorating item for my wife. While I was there I decided to step over to the sporting goods department and pick up another couple of boxes of 22's since we about depleted our supply last weekend. Well, homeboy the clerk was behind the counter in an apparent daze. Knowing that the 22's are locked in the counter/display case, I just asked for two boxes of the Winchester Dynapoint 22 LR's. He looked at me as if I just spoke German. I repeated and gave a detailed explanation of the item and even what the box looked like. I could not see the items from my side of the counter. He looked for about five minutes and then finally found them. Homeboy The clerk then began fumbleing with his key chain trying every key. Not being able to open the display counter he just put his keys up, look at me, and said (Quote)"Yo, I posed to be hardware". A few responses came to my mind but I was forced to hold back due to the little ears that was with me. In my mind I was thinking that if there was a crack pipe in that display counter it would be open in seconds. So, I just walked away. While paying for the other item ( which I hated to buy at this point) I noticed one of the Assistant Managers at the front of the store. I explained to him what happened. That POS didn't seem to care one way or the other. Never offered to get the item himself or help me in any way. Just a simple O.K. and have a nice day. Now, I have never purchased any big ticket gun related items from those chain department stores. But I would pick small items every now and then. Not anymore, no way, no how.

Sorry for the long read...just thought it was funny having this experience and then seeing this topic.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Yesterday, I had to go to Wal*Mart to buy some clay targets for the police range. Good for shotgun familiarization and fun too.

Went to sporting goods. I have always found the clays setting out where all I had to do was grab them up. Not this time.

So, I asked. Asst. Mgr. type was very helpful. Clays had been moved to an outside storage trailer for the season, but he knew where and offered to go out and get them. In the rain.

Ten minutes later, I have my clays and on my way. Pretty decent customer service for a big box.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Ah now DWS, if ou look long enough, I think you'll see the reflection of at least A virgin in the glass, and who knows maybe her name is Mary and maybe just maybe her last name is Holy. when you see her, your next stop should be the Lotto counter. Actually I have nothing against Wal-Mart, but then again I have nothing for them either. We go to the one in Wenatchee (WA) to buy greeting cards, Alpo dog food, which I rotate with 2 other brands that I buy elsewhere and will stroll through the sporting goods to see whats on closeout. If I'm interested in buying any serious sporting goods, such as a rifle I'll go to Rocky's House of Guns, which should give a clue as to what he sells. For components anymore I just order through the mailorder.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Just because Wal-Mart sells guns does not mean they are pro gun. They would sell crack if it was legal because the bottom line is what is holy. People get addicted to WalMart the same as getting addicted to fast food. The more I learn about WallyWorld the more I dislike them. I've been once in the past year and that was just to tag along with someone else. It was a disgusting experience. Furthermore, there is a nearby K-Mart where I can get my Martha Stewart fix whenever it is needed.
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Wal-Mart has never impressed me.Most,if not all,of the guns they carry are bottom of the line cheap junk.Nothing there i want.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Generally I dislike the place. It is full of mostly China imports and other cheap crap, however I have purchased two rifles from them in the past. Some of those, so called, super deals.[:I]

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay guys, how many of you "anti-Wal Mart" people go to a large convenience store for gasoline and pay $1.90 per gallon of gas and not to your locally owned service station and pay $2.15 per gallon? How many of you go to the large box grocery store to pay $80.00 for a basket of groceries instead of going to your local mom and pop grocery store and pay $120.00 for the same basket of food? How many of you visit the area Home Depot or Lowe's to buy the lumber instead of buying it from the local small family lumber shed? Are you saying that you buy STRICTLY from ALL small retailers or just the small gun shops? Why are you buying at gun shows instead of from your local shop? Until you are patronizing all small retailers instead of the large convenience stores and grocery stores, a person has no justification in getting so irate over people patronizing Wal Mart. When we built our home in 1997 there was a local lumber shed in my small town that has since closed down. I could have saved a very substantial amount of money on a bid I had from a Lowe's store some 30 miles away. It was a tough decision but I bought local. Do I regret it? Not really. Every situation is not the same. There are times when to buy from the small retailers and times when to buy from the large ones. JMHO.