In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why is everyone so enamored with Walmart ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    For me, on cloudy days when the light is right in the early morning or at sunset, the image of the Blessed Virgin appears on the sliding doors leading out to the patio furniture. I have not found this to occur at either K-Mart or Target stores.

Hey DWS,

I got a grilled cheese with Sam Walton's image on it for sale on ebay!

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

It's called capitalism. Perhaps you've heard of it...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye

Took the words right out of my mouth, Mateo.

If you don't like the place, don't shop there. And if you don't like my capitalist economic system, THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY!

"Our finest tribute to our fallen dead would be to convince their sons that we were not Rambo and neither are they. -Gus Hasford
  • Options
    FishnshootFishnshoot Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Price, selection and convenience. Nuff said.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's not just blame Walmart for killing off all the little Gun Stores around let's look at ourselves, here at Gunbroker too!

These online firearms auction houses may have a greater effect on killing off local gun shops than Walmart. Why should you pay the dealer's markup when you can come here & buy guns for $5 to $10 over dealer cost??

Why should that local gunshop even need a store front? Everything is available here and it costs less! Heck most of the dealers on here don't have store fronts, don't carry inventory, and drop ship from the wholesaler. You find yourself a dealer to receive your gun who doesn't have a store front, knowledgeable employees, inventory, and you get next to cost on your gun.

Me, I have bought 2 shotguns from Galynns, none from Walmart, 2 rifles from Sportmart (10 years ago), none from here, none from Gun Shows, and hundreds from my local gun shops. When I see a deal like $125 for a Winchester 94 30/30 from Walmart. I think it's a damn good idea to check it out! And being the nice ahole that I am I will pass that info to my friends here at GB. That $125 Winchester would make a nice gift or a great politically correct truck/trunk gun.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    First of all I like black(evil)guns, Walmart sells no real black (evil) guns.
    Therefore I dont buy guns at Wally's world, but I do look to see if they have mis-marked, mis-priced any!
    Aint found none yet.
    But a few years ago I picked up a case of 6 bottles of 32 oz Hoppes for under $5.

As for China imports, sure wish Wal-mart would carry Norinco/Polytech AK's

Walte
  • Options
    billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?][:0]now I know why I dont read or post on this site anymore , DWS is the same POS ! now bashing religion also followed by the racist guy with HOMEBOY trash , followed by another few crybaby's what a crew I have to say I dont miss this trash , PS arseholes the Walmart family have given more to the poor than most big outfits put together and for all you wallmart bashers get a life & Sheepy you have sunken to a new low & feel sorry for you as you must have one lousy life .................Billy[:p][8][:(]
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Nice to see you too,Billy.[:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by billybass
    [?][:0]now I know why I dont read or post on this site anymore .................Billy[:p][8][:(]

Billy, someone has stolen your identity and is reading and posting on this lousy site! Be aware.

Bye Billy

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    billybass- DLTDHYITA!
    Walte & the crew.....
  • Options
    NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    I get guns at a gun store, although I've bought ammo a couple of times at Wal-Mart. Otherwise, I also get that at my favorite gun store, to support him. I get pants at Wal-Mart. Good place to get pants.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go to 11 walmarts a day on my route and all they do to me is onager. Me like walmart I think not. Give me the local gun shops.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Options
    Marlinman336Marlinman336 Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think WalMart and local shops can co-exist. The problem is that the local Mom-and-Pop places are often unaccustomed to/unwilling to change. They aren't constantly thinking of how to make things better - to offer more services, or better services.

I would happily pay more for a gun from a local who was exceptionally knowledgable and helpful, and an honest person. I would NOT buy a gun from a local shop simply because it was local, unless the price was the best. If gun shops offer only the basic services provided by WalMart, then guns become just a commodity, and in the commodities business, the lowest price sells. Gun shops can be a great source for information about local shooting events, hunting conditions, collectibility and dating of older firearms, obsolete parts, gunsmithing and refinishing etc.......but often aren't.

IMO, that's how the good shops compete (in any type of business) - by offering what WalMart cannot: passion about what they do and the items they sell, and by providing their customers with information WalMart doesn't have the time or need for. You can pay a guy 9 bucks to sell ammo, but you can't make him love it. I have spoken with quite a few knowledgable and considerate Wally world employees...and vastly more who weren't.

I'm in the cattle feeding business, and we have the same problems; Meat prices are sky-high in the grocery stores, but we see none of that profit. Packers continue to feed more of their own cattle, negating the need to buy from the little guys like us. They're getting smart - so we have to do the same. And that's how we do it: by developing relationships with people who then learn how we do things, and trust us to do it that way every time. Do they pay more for feed and medicines? Of course - we can't buy it as cheaply as the big boys. But they're willing to do so if they feel we offer them more personal attention, and can prove that we care about what we do. If our doors shut, we're in a world of problems. Kid behind the counter at WalMart gets fired - he jumps over to whatever the next building down the road is that will pay him the same money. I liked small-town America more before WalMart, and big-time packing houses, and $250,000 tractors being operated at corporate farms. But the reality is that the world we live in cares very little for community cohesiveness and nostalgia. Therefore, small business needs to accept that as truth and do what got them there in the first place: grit their teeth and bear down. If you care enough, more often that not, it will show....and the customers will follow.

JMHO

MM336

Remington 870 large-frame Wingmaster 20
    Marlin 90 O/U 12
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 336SS 30/30
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Bravo Marlin Man!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marlinman336
    I'm in the cattle feeding business, and we have the same problems; Meat prices are sky-high in the grocery stores, but we see none of that profit.

I really do not know of what you speak. Meat prices in the stores are higher than the have ever been but then when have you ever heard od 1.26 steers? The market has never been higher in all of the the years I have been around. Yes, this is one time when the farmers are seeing some money from their efforts. I still sold some steers two weeks ago for .97. They are down. WOW. Don

"I would not mind being the last man on earth just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don,

I'm simply saying that the prices in the stores have been high for a long time - a couple of years ago when feedlots were losing $80/head feeding cattle, retail price escalated.

At any rate, from a commercial standpoint, we're selling at $90/cwt on a live basis right now - a fantastic price, to be sure, but the other side of the coin is that we're also buying feeder cattle at record high prices, too. It's a great time to be a producer of cattle, just a little tougher to be a feeder right at the moment. (Been great for the last year, though.)

Just to clarify - I'm not whining. I knew the risks/rewards when I got into this business. We feed around 25,000 head a year, and enjoy every minute of it. [:D]

MM336

Marlin 90 O/U 12
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 336SS 30/30
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marlinman336
    Don,

I'm simply saying that the prices in the stores have been high for a long time - a couple of years ago when feedlots were losing $80/head feeding cattle, retail price escalated.

At any rate, from a commercial standpoint, we're selling at $90/cwt on a live basis right now - a fantastic price, to be sure, but the other side of the coin is that we're also buying feeder cattle at record high prices, too. It's a great time to be a producer of cattle, just a little tougher to be a feeder right at the moment. (Been great for the last year, though.)

Just to clarify - I'm not whining. I knew the risks/rewards when I got into this business. We feed around 25,000 head a year, and enjoy every minute of it. [:D]

MM336

Marlin 90 O/U 12
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 336SS 30/30

Not trying to get on you. We have 600 head of mama cows and the last year and a half have been great. Dreading the bust. I have yet to figure how the steers can go out west to the feedlots at the prices they are paying. Don

"I would not mind being the last man on earth just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I have yet to figure how the steers can go out west to the feedlots at the prices they are paying. Don

I love to hear that other cattlemen are making money, Don! I guarantee that 600 head of cows is much more work than our feedlot. (I know that for a fact - I've done both [;)]).

I don't understand how guys can afford to feed these steers, either. It's the age-old feedlot rule, though: put 'em in at a loss, and hope the market turns around before they get fat.[:0]

Take care!
    MM336

Marlin 90 O/U 12
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 336SS 30/30
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I shop at Walmart because I support Communist China employing more people and building up their economy to purchase more military hardware. As China's need for oil outgrows our's we will no longer be a super power and will get our a@@e@ kicked in a battle over the last remaining drops of oil on the planet. They always said I was a glutton for punishment.