In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BE HONEST NOW GUYS....

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I want to know how many of you have actually bought a gun that you couldnt afford but had a friend along or someone else, and just wanted to "impress" or show off?...

Say for example you are at a gun show with a group of guys...How many of you will make a purchase that you cannot afford, and I mean you really cant....just to show off in front of the guys?..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    [:I][^]I'm guilty[^][:I]

I'm not sure if it was one I actually could not afford...but the money probably should not have been spent on it at that time...

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Not me! I have to look Sandy in the face every day and be able to tell her the truth. I couldn't stand to say, "I don't have the money for that because I spent too much on that last gun."

Sometimes, you just have to stand up and be a man, even if it hurts![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I honestly never have.

EDIT!!!!

It just hit me why I never have!! My wife is always with me![:D]
    edited November -1
    ohhhhhh wow...this is really rich....*LMAO*....43 people read it but only 3 responded.....Come a little close to the truth guys?....[}:)][:o)]

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. If I am buying, I can afford it.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never to impress someone else. I have bought guns I "shouldn't have afforded" but it was because I spotted a gun on my must-have list, craved a good negotiation and the chance to walk out with it at the right price for my collection. When the price is good right, I tend to buy even when I have to stretch the finances, because the opportunities to get a deal on something on my must-have list do not come every day.

But to impress somebody else wouldn't occur to me. In fact, I usually attend gun shows (and flea markets) alone and shop the whole room for "finds." I buy alone, and once I get them home no one but me may ever see them. I don't even look for attention at the range.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope. Have you ever bought a purse or pair of shoes just to impress a girlfriend? I bet most women have.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    If I dont have it, I dont buy it.

Larry
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's do a reverse troll ...

How many women when out shopping with their friends buy stuff that they don't need or is at prices that put a crimp in the family finances, rather than tell their friends that they can't afford it[?]

[:D][}:)][:D]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Offeror said.

He Dog
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never, That's not my style![8D]

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
    edited November -1
    I have done that once in my life....was going to a wedding ...spent, and I remember the price very well, 574.68 tax included....g/f at the time said it was the perfect dress....
    I took it back the next day...That the beauty of buying clothes, shoes, bags...they can be taken back...*LOL

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I haven't. I'm way to cheap to spend more than I can afford.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO WAY!
    I can't stand the thought of not at least getting a really fair deal, if not a really GREAT deal. If I can't buy it for what I want, I usually build it myself. I try my best to impress with my marksmanship, not how much I can spend.

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've come home w/lots of guns I couldn't afford at the time,but never to impress someone(except maybe myself[:I])

BW (The layaway lover)

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    ohhhhhh wow...this is really rich....*LMAO*....43 people read it but only 3 responded.....Come a little close to the truth guys?....[}:)][:o)]

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

My dad used to say, "it's always the hit dog that hollers" In this case I think he just shut his mouth and snuck off![:D][:D][:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can say only once and it was because when I asked to look at it the shop owner said it was out of my price range. Bought it. Don't regret it.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, I can honestly say I've never bought one I couldn't afford to impress someone. I have bought stuff I didn't need (but could afford them at the time), but it wasn't to impress someone.

I'm a little bit of a silent gun owner around my friends because there's no "skill" to buying/owning guns. For the most part it is directly proportional to the amount of extra money one has and I wouldn't throw that in someones face either...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • ruger0_7ruger0_7 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Ontario,Canada.I don't think we have gun shows,wish we did.Would I buy a gun to inpress a buddy? No way,the first thing they would do is run and tell my wife.

Chris Powell
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    I want to know how many of you have actually bought a gun that you couldnt afford but had a friend along or someone else, and just wanted to "impress" or show off?...

Say for example you are at a gun show with a group of guys...How many of you will make a purchase that you cannot afford, and I mean you really cant....just to show off in front of the guys?..

Never. But I'm single with a decent job and I have a decent amount of extra cash. Most of my purchases are thought out months ahead of time and when I go to buy typically I'm by myself. I've bought 2 handguns on impulse, because they were "off-list". In California when you run across off-list handguns for a reasonable price you buy them up like they were gold, because they are. The legal supply of off-list handguns in California is finite and those handguns have tremdous appreciation potential. I'll impulse buy them all day long..
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Never. I have never bought anything to try to impress anyone.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Nope, never to impress anyone. As others have said bought some I shouldn't have afforded but could.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i plead the 5th

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Never

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shop alone. Women are the ones that spend to dam much. They go out and buy things they dont need only to through them out the door a week later or wind up selling it at the yearly garage sale. WE men buy guns and use them and keep them.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
    Thanks for all the help!
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    nope
    if i buy it i can afford it

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Not me, I don't even go into the gunshop without a big grip of $$$. Don't think I can stand the temptation to just "shop"[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope, I plan ahead for whatever it is I am wanting. with a family i have to do it that way. no impulse buys for me

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Never. I go to gun shows alone and besides,I`m too tight with my money to buy guns I can`t afford.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:How many of you will make a purchase that you cannot afford, and I mean you really cant....just to show off in front of the guys?..

I do my homework, shop for the deal...couldn't afford? I can't wrap my mind around that concept.

Only one I am trying to impress is me. And I'm a picky a**hole.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never!
    I have a $40,000.00 Szesei & Fuchs in .700 nitro, Impressed? [;)]

JUST Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:D][:D][:D]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif

oops got one to many 0's[:I]
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a gun once becasue a girlfriend wanted to try it out but I think that more of an excuse to buy the gun then to impress but maybe a little

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On occasion I have spent a little more than I should have. But it was NEVER done to impress anyone at anytime and never will be. I try to keep things simple and I'm not interested in impressing anyone.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have on many occasions bought a gun I probably shouldn't have, but In all of these cases it was to satisfy a felt deprivation of mine, not to impress anyone. In fact my taste in firearms is not the same as my friends anyway, so I doubt any of my purchases would impress them anyway.

The Recollection of Quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I spend my time at the gunshows trying to talk Select-fire into buying all the guns I want. Then live vicareiously through him[}:)][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never even thought of it. I have always shopped alone.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had very few toys when I was a kid, now that I'm all grown up I can have just about anything I feel that I can afford. So I do. If that's impressive, I'm it.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Not sure I could afford them all but I necer brought one just to show off. I may be shallow[:0] but I am not THAT shallow!![:(]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.