1911 Ambidextrous Thumb Safety vs single side

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
One of my favorite 1911's to shoot of all things is a Stainless Taurus, Right after I got it I noticed the thumb safety on the off/right side did not work,, I replaced it with a Wilson combat, now after about 1 1/2 years of shooting, the Wilson safety has done the exact same thing,,The off side goes up and down it just does not move the working side...Is there any reason why I could not just go back with an original style single left side thumb safety and do away with this Ambidextrous BS ? if so is there a better name brand to buy ? I just normally use Wilson since they are about an hour up the road

Comments

• kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer a single safety, it fits much flatter that way.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Member, Moderator Posts: 50,904 ******
    edited November -1
    Dang,never heard of that happening. Can't wait to hear the answer.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Dang,never heard of that happening. Can't wait to hear the answer.

agreed.

I got a Taurus 1911 and this is not an issue but I haven't shot it THAT much either.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 21,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being left handed and having to get ambi-safeties added to 1911's it's rare that a gunsmith will get it right the 1st time. Usually when I pick the gun up I have to give it back to them to redo it.
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to know why both safeties don't work. Remove the grip safety and reinstall the thumb safeties and you should be able to see what is/isn't working and why. If yours is the typical 'mortise and tenon' pin together I'm thinking one of the ears on the mortise is damaged or broken off,,,,,

By chance do you shoot the pistol with your thumb on the safety?????

If the weapon is in typical spec you can fit another safety,,,,,,,it's not gonna be drop in.

Gary, are you in Ark. City ?????
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im in Clinton Ar,,The original safety,,the ear on the mortise was broken,,I have not removed the wilson yet,,I was going to wait until I bought a new one,,Like I said,,the Wilson lasted over a year and has at least 50 trips to the range on it, I just never use the off side so I figured why replace it with an ambidextrous, the only odd thing will be the notch in the top of the right grip will have nothing in it
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    Im in Clinton Ar,,The original safety,,the ear on the mortise was broken,,I have not removed the wilson yet,,I was going to wait until I bought a new one,,Like I said,,the Wilson lasted over a year and has at least 50 trips to the range on it, I just never use the off side so I figured why replace it with an ambidextrous, the only odd thing will be the notch in the top of the right grip will have nothing in it

We were typing at the same time,,,,,,,,,do you shoot with your thumb on the safety?????

Be careful,,,,,,,without both 'pins' in place and locked together you might have too much 'play' in the side that activates the sear blocking stud. Thus you run the risk of the sear being able to move when you think the safety is working,,,,,,in other words the thumb safety is useless,,,,
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No thumb on safety, I have other 1911's and this is the only one I have ever had this problem with although the only other one with a ambidextrous safety is a Wilson Combat classic and I do not shoot it often,,I will not shoot it until its repaired
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer an ambi safety. The addition width doesn't bother me
    edited November -1
    Gary, look at where the 'tab' goes up and down in the right grip slot and see if the 'tab' left any compression marks at the top or bottom ,,,,,,,,,,or was rubbing on the upper surface of the slot.

If the grip slot was restricting the movement of the 'tab' there's the possibility that over torquing weakened the mortise causing it to break.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being left handed and having a grip laser as well required a special Wilson ambe. safety added to the right side. Mine works just fine.[;)][;)]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490
    edited November -1
    Forgemonkey! I am curious as to the "high hand" hold (thumb on safety) question? As I shoot this way just wanting to know what your insight is. Thanks!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Forgemonkey! I am curious as to the "high hand" hold (thumb on safety) question? As I shoot this way just wanting to know what your insight is. Thanks!

Brian,,,,,,,the recoil torque against the thumb is transferred to the opposite side safety via of the thumb safety pin. If the opposite side safety is slightly impeded from full range of motion(grip slot) then you have a situation of always stressing the 'mortise and tenon' resulting in metal fatigue.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490
    edited November -1
    Thank you! I had never contemplated that before. I will keep a closer eye on this. As always much appreciated.