In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

damn farmers!!!

crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
they were planting today, and were far too close to my backyard "downrange" to do any shooting... sheesh the doggone fields should be planted by now you would think... so what if its a little wet I cant go shooting when its rainy out, so they should be planting.

Grrr

The father in law bought a henry .22 of some sort and got a scope to put on it and wanted me to help him. Alas he was too chicken with the machinery in the field..

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont be hateing, we make the corn that feeds the cows, pigs and chickens.

Yummy.
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

Yummy.

And grow the rice to go along side them![:D]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dbain99
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

Yummy.

zactly,[^]

Soy sauce anyone?
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the weather has been anything like ours, it's been too wet to get into the fields until today. We're in western Ohio, and the planting is normally done by now. This year they are just starting.

Please be patient with the farmers, they are the biggest gamblers in the world, and without them we would all be eating food from china, mexico, and other 3rd world countries (If we could even get it). I'm almost positive that they didn't get up this morning and say "let's go work in the fields just to p*ss off crash2usaf".[:)]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Farmers have the right-of-way on their own land. And at any time, and for any reason.

Especially because they're putting food into even the mouths that yap.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    having been a farmer all my life i suggest you just use those days you cannot do your thing on demand to just go to the grocery store and stock up.....that's where they make the food...and get yourself a new handle ... try toughguy 22
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Man, I hate this sort of drivel... I heard this same kind of crap while living on the ranch. "Your tractor's too loud." "Your discing makes too much dust." "Your cows are mooing at night." "The lights on your rice harvesters are disrupting the night sky!" Jesus H. Christo. $%&^*#@!!! panty-waist urbanites! [}:)]

Take yer damn suburban arses and go back to where ya came from.
    Stop making it profitable for developers to chew up good, historic farm and ranch lands for the sake of suburban sprawl. Quit your cryin'. What the hell do you think you're gettin' into in a rural setting? Ignorant, whining, self-absorbed a-holes don't even realize how long and hard the poor bass-turd aggies are workin' for little reward, to fill their local strip-mall market with affordable food that the feeble-brained, arrogant transplants bich about.

Take your damned gun to a range and quit your whining. [xx(]

Well, there's my rant for the evening. [;)]
    Don't blame me...
    You opened that can o' wrigglers! [;)]
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Dude just quit eating food!!! You are some of the reasons why America is crashing today.

Some tend to forget about the hand that feeds them.

Then they rip roar and bite the hand that feeds them off.

Let me assure you....The next time you ever go to buy a single piece of shave ham, bacon, a chicken gizzard, a stinking cow tounge for your children to eat. Don't forget the bread from the wheat, or beans from the soy. The soy the Diesel relys on to deliver to your sorry *

That farmer is already underpaid to feed your sorry * when you will gladly eat what he has to provide you with.

I can't stand an outskirt city boy.

Is that you Steven?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crash2usaf
    they were planting today, and were far too close to my backyard "downrange" to do any shooting... sheesh the doggone fields should be planted by now you would think... so what if its a little wet I cant go shooting when its rainy out, so they should be planting.

Grrr

The father in law bought a henry .22 of some sort and got a scope to put on it and wanted me to help him. Alas he was too chicken with the machinery in the field..

So QUIT shooting into his field!!!! Your bullet is passing across his land and you could be making him liable for your assets.
    edited November -1
    I'm pissed again...Just IMPORT all your food!!! And nevermind the easement (according to the government) which is at least 10' (FOOT).

popc1.gif
    edited November -1
    I'm from Indiana and my garden is just now fixing to go in due to the rain... If I'm lucky it will be done by Monday night.

I've had it planted as early as March and covered the maters for frost or dip squashes like you up until mid May. But the rain set in this year for the Mid-West.

Do you understand what your b!tching about?

Like I said!!! Just make sure you do not enjoy any Meats, breads, or veggies that the Mid-West can produce for you.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fly Doctor
    Man, I hate this sort of drivel... I heard this same kind of crap while living on the ranch. "Your tractor's too loud." "Your discing makes too much dust." "Your cows are mooing at night." "The lights on your rice harvesters are disrupting the night sky!" Jesus H. Christo. $%&^*#@!!! panty-waist urbanites! [}:)]

Stop making it profitable for developers to chew up good, historic farm and ranch lands for the sake of suburban sprawl. Quit your cryin'. What the hell do you think you're gettin' into in a rural setting? Ignorant, whining, self-absorbed a-holes don't even realize how long and hard the poor bass-turd aggies are workin' for little reward, to fill their local strip-mall market with affordable food that the feeble-brained, arrogant transplants bich about.

Take your damned gun to a range and quit your whining. [xx(]

Well, there's my rant for the evening. [;)]
    Don't blame me...
    You opened that can o' wrigglers! [;)]

I might have a problem with that part....Simply because its control over me on my land.[:D] As my son is 5th generation, I din't move to the city... The meanies [O.K. meanies (government growth)] is, are coming to me.
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't talk with your mouth full. Most people don't have a clue about farming. I'm guessing you work your 5 days a week and put in your 40 hours. Try 120 hours a week most of the year with no guarentees you'll get paid. Dave
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    You choose to live where you live so don't blame your neighbors on you not being able to shoot. You do with your property as you see fit and so do they. If you do not want to be bothered by neighbors you should move. This is America and we have the right (or we should) have the right to do with our land as we please.

Where I live I can shoot out to 300 yards one way but the other way there are houses about 1500 yards away. I would love to be able to shoot that direction but cannot due to those houses. I knew this up front when I moved here and I accept the fact that my shooting is limited to only 300 yards. In your case your shooting is limited to the farmers schedule.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need to sit down and re-think your post. SOmething things are more important than shooting. And if it is too wet to shoot, I am pretty sure it is far too wet for a 5 ton tractor to attemtp plowing or seeding.
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't pee off the farmer,cause it sounds like you need HIS property to be able to shoot safely.Besides,I sure he could develop his property and make a ton of money rather than working 365 days a year for a fist-full of dollars.I bet if you were a good neighbor he would allow you to shoot some where on his property til he got the planting done.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there ain;t nothing better than when i hear the sound of the tractor coming to start on the fields around me..country livin..good relations with the surounding farms allow use of grass lands and woods..i raise bees and honey the trade off is cheap[^]
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Piss poor day in my book when a man can not show or have a little respect for any farmer in America. Be it a family working 5 acres or 5000.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow!
    Lighten up, everyone...
    You ever think maybe crash isn't seriously angry with the farmer?
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So head over the Wildlife Conservation Club and use the range there.....
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    Wow!
    Lighten up, everyone...
    You ever think maybe crash isn't seriously angry with the farmer?

I think he was expressing his true feelings, and is now too ashamed to re-post to this thread, as he should be. Some of you have expressed yourselves much more forcefully than I did. If I had known how this thread was going, I would have let him have it with both barrels too.

Maybe this needs to be repeated, as it pretty much hits the nail squarely on his pointy little head.

Man, I hate this sort of drivel... I heard this same kind of crap while living on the ranch. "Your tractor's too loud." "Your discing makes too much dust." "Your cows are mooing at night." "The lights on your rice harvesters are disrupting the night sky!" Jesus H. Christo. $%&^*#@!!! panty-waist urbanites!

• FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dbain99

Well, you don't grow rice personally--not in Iowa.

My wife inherited rice-growing land in east central Arkansas, though. So when you guys contemplate your rice and gravy, think of her and the equipment operators who level the land, drill in the seed, raise the levees, water the fields, and combine the crop.
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not in Iowa. But do have a 2200 acre rice farm in Louisiana.
    My reply was to put my rice on the side of the plate next to Qiuckmajik's cows, pigs and chickens.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crash2usaf

Grrr

Looks like some folks got no sense of humor. [:D]

I have the same problem with my outback. The fellow seems to think he can fill up his pasture with them damned old cows any time he wants to. [;)] [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure wish I could * about the rain here in central Texas.
    Cows mooing & farm tractors workin sounds a lot better than people yelling, kids screaming, & dogs barking all night. Can't afford to move again further out in the country.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Altho I've never lived on a farm or been a farmer, I've lived my entire life in rural area's and small towns. And I've known MANY farmers. Went to school w/thier kids. Worked w/them at various jobs. And have always had high regard for them.
    Until became a trucker and personally witnessed at close range a head on collision that killed 4 people. Caused by a farmer driving 40MPH down a 65MPH highway. A VERY common thing that farmers do as they check their and the neighbors fields. (Best reason I can fathom beyond purposely being an A-hole). And I mean in their Pickups and not farm eqiup.
    You might not notice them as much if you are driving a 4 wheeler. Because you can fairly easily pass them. But you will notice when you get involved in one the slow moving parades that happens when a semi gets caught behind them.
    Semi's, especially when loaded, can't accelerate fast enough to pass them unless they have AT LEAST a mile of straight flat road that THEY CAN SEE has no oncoming traffic. Evidently farmers don't understand this. Or just don't care. Because 9 out of 10 will NOT pull over to the shoulder to let traffic by.
    And eventually some yo-yo will try to pass the whole parade. Even to he can't see if it's safe.
    And people get killed. I've seen it. And I would've seen alot more if I hadn't learned to watch for it and make room for the kamakazie to pull back in.
    After the head on that ended 4 people lives because he was inconsiderate A-hole. the good ole boy farmer was uneffected. "I didn't tell them to pass. Not my fault" he said.
    If it hadn't been for cops I'd have whooped his chicken-poop * right there on the roadside. YES IT WAS HIS FAULT!
    What I'm saying here is to the farmers on the board.
    PLEASE HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION for other people on the highway.
    Yeah, you live on that road. Drive it everyday. Want to see how the crops are looking. But IT'S NOT YOUR ROAD!
    If you want to drive slow, PLEASE pull over and let people, especially TRUCKS pass. And tell your friends the same.
    Trucks CAN"T get around you like cars can. PLEASE don't be the cause of an accident like the one I saw!
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    Altho I've never lived on a farm or been a farmer, I've lived my entire life in rural area's and small towns. And I've known MANY farmers. Went to school w/thier kids. Worked w/them at various jobs. And have always had high regard for them.
    Until became a trucker and personally witnessed at close range a head on collision that killed 4 people. Caused by a farmer driving 40MPH down a 65MPH highway. A VERY common thing that farmers do as they check their and the neighbors fields. (Best reason I can fathom beyond purposely being an A-hole). And I mean in their Pickups and not farm eqiup.
    You might not notice them as much if you are driving a 4 wheeler. Because you can fairly easily pass them. But you will notice when you get involved in one the slow moving parades that happens when a semi gets caught behind them.
    Semi's, especially when loaded, can't accelerate fast enough to pass them unless they have AT LEAST a mile of straight flat road that THEY CAN SEE has no oncoming traffic. Evidently farmers don't understand this. Or just don't care. Because 9 out of 10 will NOT pull over to the shoulder to let traffic by.
    And eventually some yo-yo will try to pass the whole parade. Even to he can't see if it's safe.
    And people get killed. I've seen it. And I would've seen alot more if I hadn't learned to watch for it and make room for the kamakazie to pull back in.
    After the head on that ended 4 people lives because he was inconsiderate A-hole. the good ole boy farmer was uneffected. "I didn't tell them to pass. Not my fault" he said.
    If it hadn't been for cops I'd have whooped his chicken-poop * right there on the roadside. YES IT WAS HIS FAULT!
    Yeah, you live on that road. Drive it everyday. Want to see how the crops are looking. But IT'S NOT YOUR ROAD!
    If you want to drive slow, PLEASE pull over and let people, especially TRUCKS pass. And tell your friends the same.
    Trucks CAN"T get around you like cars can. PLEASE don't be the cause of an accident like the one I saw!

...Point taken, strat. I and every farmer I know make every effort
    to pull to the side if driving equipment or speed up if in a P.U. truck. Most roads around here have no posted speed limits. My tar & chip road used to be gravel. Now, it's nothing to see people doing 90+ down it. Slow riding and checking crops is an age old rite out here.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1

This applies to anyone, not just farmers. Nothing more irritating than a mile long back up because some old fart is doing 35 in a 55 zone with no passing lane.

I'm gonna use the opportunity to weigh in on something that I found a pet peeve though. Every weekend, driving to college, I'd pass through the breadbasket of western Ohio. There were signs like "Farmers- just DO it" and "ONLY farmers produce food!" Bull. Ever hear of fishermen? Ranchers? Hunters? Ok I could get over a billboard in farm country saying something like this, but I have met a few holier than thou types who yes, are farmers, and yes, do believe this nonsense. "If it weren't for me, you'd starve." Bullhockey. Farmers make it EASIER for me to eat without a doubt. But if I was willing to do without the convenience of preprocessed foods, I could easily grow enough food on my land and fish and hunt and have a chicken coop, etc.

That's how a society works. Your profession makes it easier for men to eat without spending all day tending their own gardens. The mechanic makes it easier for me to drive. Etc. Specialization increases efficency. But no, I don't really NEED such people, even if I'd never WANT to find myself in that position.

Now back to the plowing and planting. Crash2usaf, that's the farmer's livlihood. It is your hobby and fun. His needs get priority.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if most of us rural drove in your subdivision around your kids like the city duffus do out here you would be screaming like a scalded cat...tho it is rather funny to see a big city plate mercedes slobbering all over a sandy road that's minimally traveled...just a hint that they were lost trying to find their dope connection about 2 townships away
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

65 is the maximum speed is or was there a minimum speed posted if not the farmer had every right to drive 40 mph.
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you be shooting where your bullets would be leaving your property? that would be my question to you. If I was your farmer neighbor I would have your butt in a sling if any of your bullets came on my property.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 8000fthi
    Why would you be shooting where your bullets would be leaving your property? that would be my question to you. If I was your farmer neighbor I would have your butt in a sling if any of your bullets came on my property.

Now were back to the solution of the probable cause.

If a tractor is driving down the highway because its for the benefiet of the peoples own good to have it out in the middle of no where anyways then they should just keep their own butts in town and never leave the city limits

Ya I got a problem with eminent domain also. The same jerk that wants to take my propery for public use is O.K. with them but if I can't plant because of rain is another story.

People... No breaks given here. None were applied for me. It doesn't matter how drunk and smarter I can get over it.[:D]

Stop the City breading and quit coming out to me so we can both see eye to eye.
    edited November -1
    This dude should just go hungry.[:D]

Or just go crash himself...[8D]
    edited November -1
    When you crash, leave me the U.S.A. out of it just go do it on your own.
    edited November -1
    Hey...why don't you just bite off the hand that feeds you...My mother has a good story to tell of ones like you. If you haven't noticed, I'm not gona let up as your posting until you learn respect for the growth of food for you, your family, neighbors and many others.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Easy fix, offer to buy his land. Then you can shoot year round, if he won't sell move. You shouldn't be shooting onto his land anyways. If I was him I'd have you arrested for reckless discharge of a firearm.
  • bakmakbakmak Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about going to the edge of your property turn around and fire towards your land and not his? If you live in the country you've probably got some land yourself unless you have one of those new houses stuck in between farms. Always know whats beyond your target stray bullets suck! If it was me and someone was firing onto my property I would probably fire back!!!

Although I do agree with the farmer in the road thing. That sucks too.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

Farmers in my part of the world tend to be polite on the road.

However, when someone thinks their * is on fire and they need to drive 70 MPH, don't blame slow moving vehicles. Farmers have the same road rights as cars, trucks, bicycles and pedestrians. People may drive for a living, but driving like an idiot cause your in a hurry isn't an excuse.

It works both ways FS.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I think the op's rant was a joke. I don't think he was serious. SOme of you guys are harsh lol