In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm gonna buy an AR - HELP !!

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I'm going to buy one, even though I'm not a fan of them. I think it's an historically desirable firearm for a collection.

I've already decided NOT to buy one that is an assemblage of various company's parts.

I've pretty much decided to get a Colt, but have not completely eliminated other well-known brands if there is sufficient reason to consider them. Like: quality, durability, VALUE, etc..

May I please have suggestions as to which one ??

I know nothing of these firearms, except I don't like the ones that have a rattle in the stock.

Please help me.

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    doug I have a email im going to forward you.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I shopped and shopped thinking I wanted a Colt green label. I finally realized that if I wanted it for a shooter, and I did, then why pay 2-3 times the money for the word "Colt" on the side of it? It is of my opinion that a Colt would hold its value for a collection, and if one simply wanted a shooter AR then there are alot of other options out there.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a colt H-Bar flat top, the only mods I have done to it were replacing the factory barrel with a DPMS 24" .223 ss bull barrel, free float tube.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    I shopped and shopped thinking I wanted a Colt green label. I finally realized that if I wanted it for a shooter, and I did, then why pay 2-3 times the money for the word "Colt" on the side of it? It is of my opinion that a Colt would hold its value for a collection, and if one simply wanted a shooter AR then there are alot of other options out there.

Completely agree.

Jon
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really happy with my Bushmaster. Bought used they did something to the barrel. Sent it back to Bushmaster and they took care of it for free. So you can say I'm real happy with them.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    Buy ya a Colt SP-1. [^]

+1, Thats as good a start as any I can think of. Light, handy, and still a full length rifle. Packing an A1 weight rifle will spoil you.[:)]

I think SP-1s have 1-12" twist rate.

If you want something accurate 1-9" or 1-8"twist in a mid contour or NM contour would be a better choice. They will often group inside an inch with good ammo.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    POF or LWRC are the only ones I would ever invest in. I do not crap where I eat why should my guns.
  • jray4059jray4059 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock River Arms NM A2 out of the box competition ready, real shooter. Just cant go wrong with them
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

I posted MHO over on 1776.
    [;)][:D]
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget Colt. You'll be paying extra $$$ for the name. Get one of the other well-known brands.

I own a Bushy and love it. If I were going to get another, I'd go with Rock River.
  • TERI234TERI234 Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Own a few Bushmasters and that is the only brand I will buy.Great shooter..
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt and a dpms like them both. Going to try a stag next
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, Stag, DPMS, then there's a whole bunch more. Get something name brand and you should be good to go.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Rock River and you cannot go wrong.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    doug,
    I have a colt 9mm, like this one;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129759993

it's a GREAT gun and will hold it's value, even as a shooter.
    this listing is actually a great deal, the 32 round factory mags sell for $75-100 each, and you nice optics as well.
    just my 2c.
    I don't have any connection with this seller.
    did you get your knives?
    tom
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I think it's an historically desirable firearm for a collection.
    If you are going for "historical" significance, and/or for a "collection" why not go with the Armalite AR-15, which was designed by Eugene Stoner? Since ArmaLite sold its rights to the AR-15 to Colt in 1959, why would you want a Colt? Unless you just want to pay more money.

If you just want a shooter, RRA, Bushmaster, and others would fit the bill nicely.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LWRC out of Cambridge Maryland makes a fine shooting AR. If you're going to shoot it, it's well worth the price. If you're just wanting it to add to a collection and let it sit in the safe forever don't waste you're money. These AR's are made for shooting and everything about them is top notch.
    http://www.lwrifles.com/
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Go Colt or Stag. Stag provides parts for many others.
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a DoubleStar and love it. Functions flawlessly and eats everything I feed it.

I have another one on the way for my son's 9th birthday.

If I were you, I would not rush out to quickly to get anything. Go do yourself some reading, find friends who will let you shoot theirs (if you are in the Raleigh, NC area you have a standing invitation from me) and think about what you want out of this rifle.

I am a big fan of the Gun Digest AR-15 books by Patrick Sweeney http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-AR-15/dp/0873499476

I use mine mostly for shooting household garbage and golf balls. It also compensates for my perceived shortness in other areas. [:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    doug,
    I have a colt 9mm, like this one;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129759993

it's a GREAT gun and will hold it's value, even as a shooter.
    this listing is actually a great deal, the 32 round factory mags sell for $75-100 each, and you nice optics as well.
    just my 2c.
    I don't have any connection with this seller.
    did you get your knives? ???
    tom

Getting senile.

Which knives - I've been buying quite a few ??

Thanks,

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge
    I have a DoubleStar and love it. Functions flawlessly and eats everything I feed it.

I have another one on the way for my son's 9th birthday.

If I were you, I would not rush out to quickly to get anything. Go do yourself some reading, find friends who will let you shoot theirs (if you are in the Raleigh, NC area you have a standing invitation from me) and think about what you want out of this rifle.

I am a big fan of the Gun Digest AR-15 books by Patrick Sweeney http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-AR-15/dp/0873499476

I use mine mostly for shooting household garbage and golf balls. It also compensates for my perceived shortness in other areas. [:D]

That is what I am doing, now.

Good advice !!

Thank you.

Doug
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    If you are going for "historical" significance, and/or for a "collection" why not go with the Armalite AR-15, which was designed by Eugene Stoner? Since ArmaLite sold its rights to the AR-15 to Colt in 1959, why would you want a Colt? Unless you just want to pay more money.

If you just want a shooter, RRA, Bushmaster, and others would fit the bill nicely. [/size=2]It's true that Fairchild/Armalite designed the AR15, but there was never an Armalite marked AR15 outside the handful provided for US military trials in the late 50's. Colt later bought the design and was the first to actually produce and successfully market it.

In it's final days Armalite was a British owned company and all manufacturing was actually by Sterling, but after they completely folded their last company head retained rights to the trademark. Many years later Eagle Arms, who had been manufacturing AR15 clones for quite some time, bought these trademark rights and began slapping it on their rifles for marketing purposes - and it's worked well for them.

These rifles aren't even manufactured to military specs per Stoner's design. They're just another clone but wear the Armalite badge to allow potential buyers to assume they're somehow related to the original item.

A long deceased company called Armalite originated this design, but Colt is the one who actually gave it historical significance.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    STAG

I read an article in a magazine where the author and a friend took two stock Stag carbines to a rifle school. They had to furnish their own ammo and took 10,000 rounds of Wolf ammo. They were laughed at when they arrived for their choice in weapon and ammo.

The only change they made to the rifles was to install a Dfender D-ring on the extractor.

At the end of the class in which they'd fired almost all of the 10,000 rounds, they'd had only two malfunctions, both attibuted to the ammo.

I recently bought another Stag carbine from a guy that decided to sell it in order to buy a S&W AR15. (because the S&W was a better name brand) I got the Stag on the cheap and didn't tell him Stag made the receivers for S&W's when Smith first started making AR's.

Get a STAG, you won't be sorry!!!
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:STAG

I read an article in a magazine where the author and a friend took two stock Stag carbines to a rifle school. They had to furnish their own ammo and took 10,000 rounds of Wolf ammo. They were laughed at when they arrived for their choice in weapon and ammo.

The only change they made to the rifles was to install a Dfender D-ring on the extractor.

At the end of the class in which they'd fired almost all of the 10,000 rounds, they'd had only two malfunctions, both attibuted to the ammo.

I recently bought another Stag carbine from a guy that decided to sell it in order to buy a S&W AR15. (because the S&W was a better name brand) I got the Stag on the cheap and didn't tell him Stag made the receivers for S&W's when Smith first started making AR's.

Get a STAG, you won't be sorry!!!

+1 (Just don't shoot that crap Wolf Ammo)
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's for historical significance, that you're going to stick in a safe and never shoot, then yeah, get a colt.

Otherwise, get a Stag or something else. I'm very partial to Stag.
    You'll want to shoot it if you get an AR.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Honestly Doug I wouldn't get a Colt unless it's strickly for collection. If you want to shoot I'd go with a less expensive brand if money is a consideration at all. I have a Bushmaster and haven't had any malfunctions with it, that is shooting mostly Wolf ammo also.

223 ammo is expensive. You might want to consider a 22LR conversion kit for it also. I bought one and had one malfunction with 1500 rounds fired. I didn't shoot the more expensive CCI either. I shot just normal Remington Golden bullets. I had pretty good accuracy with it also. I can't say it was pin point or not as I'm still trying to learn the iron sights on a AR.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple Stags, (one an S & W M&P) and a Fulton Armory FAR Varminter.

The quality of the FAR is, IMO, superior.

Local shop has a number of Bushmasters, NIB for $ 979.00. Seems that pricing is beginning to return to normal.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock River Arms.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    CAUTION: ARs are like gettin a tatoo. One is never enough, you will be selling your other guns to get more. Building one can be a good choice
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Rock River Arms.

What makes it superior, Son ??

Dad
    lfd
  • 22lrplinker22lrplinker Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

I'm going to buy one, even though I'm not a fan of them. I think it's an historically desirable firearm for a collection.

I've already decided NOT to buy one that is an assemblage of various company's parts.

I've pretty much decided to get a Colt, but have not completely eliminated other well-known brands if there is sufficient reason to consider them. Like: quality, durability, VALUE, etc..

May I please have suggestions as to which one ??

I know nothing of these firearms, except I don't like the ones that have a rattle in the stock.

Please help me.

Thank you.

Doug

Hi Doug,

If your operative words are "historically desirable", I'd agree with the others that a Colt SP-1 is a choice worthy of your consideration...
    ColtAR15002.jpg

I've owned one for over 30 years and have always been pleased with it's classic simplicity, well thought out functional egronomics, and user friendly ease of operation even though I only use it as a 22lr plinker.

It's not all gee-whiz-bang-techno gimmickry...

but then neither am I. [:)]

Take Care,

Greg
    edited November -1
    Greg - Is it a "real" AR ??

Why no forward assist ??

Thank you.

Doug
    edited November -1
    Yes, that's the real semiauto AR he's showing you.

Stoner didn't design it with a forward assist and resisted efforts to incorporate one. The Army insisted on it - which is where the M16A1 came in - but the original M16 continued being manufactured without it.

It might be a build-up using retro parts, but another giveaway to his rifle's possible age is the absence of a 'fence' below the ejection port and around the mag release. That's an old 'slab side' style receiver. Nice.
    edited November -1
    When you buy a Colt you're guaranteed that each and every part of each and every rifle they produce is manufactured to the exact same standards - which is the military's 'Technical Data Package'. That's what's meant by the term 'mil spec'. Colt developed and owns the TDP, so no other manufacturer of rifles sold to the public CAN do this.

You see other manufacturers claim to be mil spec, but by slight of hand (words?) they're really only stating their's contain some mil spec parts. These rifles can be a crap shoot because they obtain their parts from different sources depending upon who can give them the best deal at the time. For example, one S&W might have all Colt lower receiver internals but the next might contain parts from someone you've never heard of.

For this reason, just because one guy had a great experience with a certain aftermarket AR doesn't mean all of that manufacture are good.

This is the reason you pay a bit more for a Colt and they hold their value so well, not just brand snobbery.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Which knives - I've been buying quite a few ??

the swiss army knives I paid for and shipped to you.
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs

This is the reason you pay a bit more for a Colt and they hold their value so well, not just brand snobbery.

Colts are not without flaw either though. My brothers department had some Colt AR's and they had many jamming issues with them and ended up selling them. I had a Colt Defender and that thing would stovepipe even after I had a gunsmith try and work it out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Colt. I'm just saying Colt is not the end all of reliablity like a Glock is.[:o)] I also only buy work horse firearms that I won't cry if they get a scratch (although I avoid it). The only guns exempt from this is the heirlooms my father passed down to me.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    Colts are not without flaw either though. My brothers department had some Colt AR's and they had many jamming issues with them and ended up selling them.Notice how often you hear of specific units where multiple members experience issues with these rifles, but other units guns run like tops.

No offense, but their local maintenance procedures and/or armorer program might have been lacking. Did they even have a trained armorer there to keep things straight?

I've seen some seriously misguided maintenance procedures going on based upon what people read in some cop magazine or supposedly learned in the military.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    Colts are not without flaw either though. My brothers department had some Colt AR's and they had many jamming issues with them and ended up selling them.Notice how often you hear of specific units where multiple members experience issues with these rifles, but other units guns run like tops.

No offense, but their local maintenance procedures and/or armorer program might have been lacking. Did they even have a trained armorer there to keep things straight?

I've seen some seriously misguided maintenance procedures going on based upon what people read in some cop magazine or supposedly learned in the military.

Well there might of been maintence problems. My brother is a gun nut and I beleive he knows what he's doing and worked on them. He has 5 years as MP and over 10 as a police officer. He also works at the state police training place as a firearms instructor. He's given me great pointers on maintaining my personal AR that I've not had a problem with. I know he is a Glock armorer, and beleive he was a armorers for the M-16's they used in the Army. Not entirely sure though.

He has a long history and should know what he's doing with them. I'd sure love to find out he wasn't doing something right in maintaining them. It'd give me loads upon loads of free heckling entertainment. [:D]
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you buy totally depends on what you plan on doing with it.
    There are to many directions and variables to give a suggestion on an AR without first deciding what isit is you want to do with it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    quote:Which knives - I've been buying quite a few ??

the swiss army knives I paid for and shipped to you.
    tom

Just now got them out of the mailbox.

I wasn't thinking of your knives, 'cause I'm an idiot.

The money will be on the way on Monday.

Very kind of you to do that Tom.

If there is anything I can ever do for YOU, just let me know.

Thank you.

Doug