In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm gonna buy an AR - HELP !!

2»

Comments

• 22lrplinker22lrplinker Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Yes, that's the real semiauto AR he's showing you.

Stoner didn't design it with a forward assist and resisted efforts to incorporate one. The Army insisted on it - which is where the M16A1 came in - but the original M16 continued being manufactured without it.

It might be a build-up using retro parts, but another giveaway to his rifle's possible age is the absence of a 'fence' below the ejection port and around the mag release. That's an old 'slab side' style receiver. Nice.

Thanks for the info, Txs...
    It's a completely original Colt SP-1, except for the Colt 22lr Conversion Kit I added later on. I even have the original box it came in. In the 1970's, anyone could buy or sell guns simply by placing classified ads in their local newspaper. I bought it used, but in new condition for the going free market rate at the time... $160.

Greg
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call me kooky but I usually prefer the original.

Bought this around 1979 and haven't felt the need to change it or replace it.

standard.jpg
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I've got two COLTS.

Both SP-1's, one with full stock, one with collapsible stock. Both manufactured in 1972. [^]

Of course, both are slabsides. [:)]So one of those is a 16 in. 1/12 'pencil barrel' with A1 sights and aluminum collapsible stock?

IMHO that was the best balanced, best handling, quickest on target AR design built.

Very nice. [^]

You should test drive one of these, Doug.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Just now got them out of the mailbox.

I'm glad you got them! I went to the website and couldn't find the listing and was worried the might have sold more than they had!
    sure took 'em long enough to ship them!
    tom
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Rock River Arms.

l
    Best handle grip ever. R.R. is most comfortable. I got a Smith, Stag and Rock River. But I think Stag provides parts to all. Do they not? If I was rich I'd own a Colt for sure. Or a safe full of them.[:p]
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G'morning Doug, a great spring morning in mideastern Wisconsin
    ........didn't have any frost last night and no snow for a week. Almost time for a season change here..........June, July, August, and winter.

Have read all the responses to your query about an AR-15. Here's my comments, good......bad.......for what they are worth.

A week after the 1994 presidential election, I bought a Colt AR-15 at the local sport shop, wondered if that might be last chance to own one of those wicked guns. Fired one clip through it to see how it handled, how it shot, etc. Very nice rifle. After a week the fiasco last November went down to the sport shop and bought another Colt Ar-15, a target model. Price had gone up $300 since the first one. Haven't shot it yet. If you're getting a shooter there are a lot of good ones available but I like the Colt name...........Have a barn full of Colt black powders, commemoratives, snakes, regular Colts. and a Colt Sauer in 30.06 that has never been fired yet.

Regards, Bob