In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever heard of this Harley Davidson rip off policy?

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My son decided he wanted to purchase a 2004 Road King custom, but it seems his local HD dealer in NY wanted $2500 over suggested retail. After some comparison shopping he located the bike at another out of state Harley dealer for the $2500 cheaper retail price. Now you would figure the out of state shop would be happy to make the sale but not so fast. It turns out that dealers will not sell to out of state buyers because they will lose out on the lucrative maintenance/warrantee contracts. This particular dealer said he would be glad to sell him the bike if he agreed to purchase a minimum of $3000 in HD aftermarket items to make up for the lost maintenance contract.

Seems unbelievable but it is true and here is the kicker, my son then called the HD headquarters to complain about such tactics and they told him it IS AN ACCEPTED BUSINESS PRACTICE that HD allows from their dealers. So basically he has to either buy 3 grand worth of items he does not want or pay $2500 over retail to buy the bike he wants.

I don't know if all HD dealers are in on this scheme but as of 3 dealers called in the NY area, all have similar policies(give or take $500 on the accessories).

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>

Comments

• trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell your son to tell those self-aggrandizing thieves to shove their overpriced, poorly-engineered crap motorcycle where the sun doesn't shine. That's not "accepted business practice", that's PIRACY.

A Harley-Davidson is nothing special, anyway; you're just paying for mediocre engineering and--mostly--a big, overhyped name.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Haven't heard of that specific gouge but I DO know that the HD corporation has no control, or chooses to exercise no control, over the prices their dealers charge for the bikes. The Harley MSRP is only a "guideline" and the dealers can charge more or less depending on the market and competition. I'm surprised to hear that new bikes are still priced over the suggested retail price. Since the big HD sales boom peaked a few years ago I thought prices were a little more reasonable. It's been several years since I priced them and 13 years since I bought a new one.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
    edited November -1
    Here we go again on the Harley bashing. You ever own one, trstone?

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey, Just what the heck would HD do to the buyer If they moved to another state on warranty of the bike ? I assumed warranty was good at any HD shop.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    That is not Harley Davidsons policy, A harley dealership is a FRANCHISE, independently owned, and some of the dealerships are rip off joints, We have three huge Dealerships here and all three are owned by the Family that owns most of the Chevy Dealerships here. They dont give a damn about anything but the money..

Again I see someone that dont own a harley downgrading them. Dont ya really wish ya had one. come on admit it..ya know ya do, only its just a little beyond your reach, now thats a shame, but keep wishing and someday you to can ride a HARLEY DAVIDSON

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the time he buys the right cam and exhaust it takes to make this bike into a real hog he will have spent the 3000.00. Thw new out of the box harleys suck but with alittle money and some tlc they run great.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Have him check out the Indian Chief. Its alot better bike and the Indian dealers will bend over backwards for you.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    X-ring Classic. He got real quiet like all of a sudden.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take that crap from Harley. Go buy a Honda or a used BMW.
    I bought a Harley once. I discovered that zipping down the road at 60 on a Harley was just like doing 60 on a Honda.
    The Harley looked a lot better sitting in the parking lot though. People came up and said, "You must be really cool. You own a Harley."
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TOOLS1
    Have him check out the Indian Chief. Its alot better bike and the Indian dealers will bend over backwards for you.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
    Err, Tools, Indian went under a ways back as in no more, kaput and C-ya.[:0]

JC

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Don't take that crap from Harley. Go buy a Honda or a used BMW.
    I bought a Harley once. I discovered that zipping down the road at 60 on a Harley was just like doing 60 on a Honda.
    The Harley looked a lot better sitting in the parking lot though. People came up and said, "You must be really cool. You own a Harley."
    Now Allen, being a little faceituous are we?[;)]

JC

edited November -1
    I imagine the Indian dealer WOULD be very accommodating. They're stuck with new (2003) model Indians that they can hardly give away. Tough to get people to buy a bike from a company that doesn't exist anymore.

edited November -1
    Don't own a Harley, never owned one, wouldn't want one even if I could afford one. There's LOTS better stuff on which to throw away money. Guns, for one. Ammo and reloading stuff, for another. And as far as people who own Harleys go: mazeltov. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. But in the same way you'd be unimpressed with, say, my purchase of a Remington 700 VLS because it's nothing "special" to you, I'M unimpressed with Harleys because they're nothing special to me. The REAL point here is the loathsome "policy" of extorting extra money from potential customers, anyhow. If you like the product so much that you can defend that sort of "business practice", then so be it.
    edited November -1
    Not only doesn't he own a Harley, it sounds like he doesn't even ride. Thanks for your input on a subject about which you know nothing.

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic,while it may not be Harley Davidson "Policy" the fact that they will allow such gouging to happen at their dealers makes it by default their policy.

As for any other motorcycle ,neither my son or myself(when I could still ride) would be caught dead on anything else because when you come right down to it,all those Jap cruisers are what one buys when they can't afford a Harley.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
    edited November -1
    You're right, lowrider: no one should EVER voice an opinion on a bad business practice unless they've bought the product. Thanks for the clarification. And while you're at it, how about enlightening me as to why Harleys are such superior machines that they warrant getting ripped off for?

Oh, wait. Never mind. I just remembered: Not being a bike rider, I'm too dumb to understand the engineering nuances which make the Harley the Undisputed King of Motorcycles. Dang, that's too bad. I was just dying to hear why Harleys are such a good deal at MSRP + $2K or more. Oh, well, I guess this is one archetypal Phillistine who will have to remain painfully uninformed....
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Josey

Tell your boy to contact some HD dealers through the web. There are many that advertise they don't do that and in fact price their bikes at msrp.

Keep looking, he'll find one.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interstatepawn- No I am serious. When I owned that 1988 Low Rider complete strangers would come up to me and tell me I was a cool guy for having a bike like that. Before that I didn't know I was a cool guy.
    When I had a BMW people came up and said, "I didn't know they made motorcycles."
    When I had a Honda they didn't say anything.
    They were all the same at 60 mph, though. But the Honda was lots cheaper and rode a little smoother.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some dealerships tag on 1500 to 2500 in extras. They must do this in order to maintain their franchise particularly if they are a new franchise. I like my Harleys. I am on my fifth one. Bought the first one in 1994 and have sold each one and bought a new model breaking even on three deals, making 290.00 on the fourth but coughing up extra on the last; 2001 Electra Glide. Try doing this with any other brand.

Have I been pleased with my dealership? Not all the time but thanks to free enterprise I shopped around within the state and have secured better deals with which I confront my dealership. The results have been a better seat at the table to negotiate a deal.

I have ridden other bikes. I have owned Hondas and one Suzuki. I was as proud of them as of my Harley. I drive a Silverado 4WD. When I see Cadi suv's I think to my self "Over classed yuppie Jeeps". In all honesty would I like to have one? A resounding YES but I just can't afford it.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey1,

I have heard this from other individuals here in NY who wanted to buy a Harley. A good friend of mine wanted to buy one, but this practice caused him to go out and buy some jap crap wanabe Harley.

Back home in Texas, I used to do a lot of business with Stubbs Cycle Sales off Telephone road on the South East side of Houston. They were a very large bike dealer, who never did me wrong. They sold all brands, but Harley's were their main push.

I find it hard to believe that this practice is like that ay all over the place. When I finaly decide to break down and get another one, I am flying down to Houston, and pick one up there. I will then ride it back up to NY. I will not buy one up here.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey...check you e-mail. I've got a buddy that may be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Mudge the connected

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm staying out of this one as far as the name goes (classic still hasn't talked to me since last time [;)]), but if it was any other business doing this I'd definately shy away from them (not saying NOT buy from them, but I'd be a lot more apprehensive)...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Couple of options.

Wait a few months,go back. Hopefully they will not recognize you by then. Start dealing but do not tell them you are from out of town. If you have to rent a PO box in town and give that as your mailing address. Make up a street address if you need one.

Or contact the better business bureau and drag one of their reps in with you.

or buy another make of bike, drive over to the dealer, ask if they remember you, ask if they work on commission, then point out your new bike and say "I guess you missed out on this one" and laugh all the way out the door.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of state dealers sell them on ebarf at MSRP or less depending on how much overstock they have to move.Build your own from a kit, chopperscycle.com has kits and you can add or change componants to build what you want. Indian motors are S&S and don't give you the same warranty that S&S would if you bought it from them.
    edited November -1
    Indian came out with their own engine in 2003.

Buy S&S engines direct from S&S for the same price as you can get them from any of the S&S dealers.

edited November -1
    Now Bambi Hunter, I still talk to ya[^] But I do get tired of the Bashing by people that have never had one, nor never will have one, and I know from experience that Harley Dealers that are close do conspire with one another, and HD Headquarters will turn their backs, Happened to me in the Repair of mine when it was backed into, I was not satisfied with the service and called HD headquarters and was told that they did not own that dealership, and really didnt have anything to do with their policy, But when the dealership received a phone call from HD concerning my bike, they sure rolled out the red carpet for me..I hope this is not a case of the "One APPLE"

flageagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    That is something that happens all the time depending on the dealership. It usually happens on a model that is highly sought after and in short supply. When the V-Rod came out, I know of one dealership in KY that sold the first couple at $5000 above HD suggested retail. You take an area that there are several HD dealerships within a short distance, prices will be what HD reccomeds but you get to an area where HD dealerships are few and far between then the dealeship, if disreptuble, can gouge people. The fad around here now is to get a new bike on the showroom floor and add on 4-5 thousand dollars of extras before trying top sell it. People walk in wanting a bike with no xtras but all the dealer has is one already decked out. Dealer makes a good profit on extras, more mark up than on the bike itself! Like some advised, build your own that way it is exactly what you want. I am wanting to build an old school chopper this summer. I am takeing it one step farther though, my son is welding up the frame from scratch! We figure with all parts and paint we will have about $12,000 in it but it will be one of a kind that we put together ourselves! The FLHT I have now is also getting some work done by doubling the HP this spring.

Josey1, if you want send me an e-mail and I will check with an HD dealership near me that is above board and honest as to price. Dave will tell me straight out.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to be it was "How ya rode,not what you were riding" Too many "HARDCORE" Harley riders are all hat& no cattle.Not to mention that more than half of The Motor Company's profits come from their "Motor Clothes" and assorted accessories.Ride with pride whatever you ride and stop buying into the HYPE

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Now Bambi Hunter, I still talk to ya[^] But I do get tired of the Bashing by people that have never had one, nor never will have one

*I know, I was teasin'*
    You're right, I won't ever have one... But then again I won't ever have ANY streetbike. Up until a few years ago, I could have nearly ANY bike I wanted . My mom's husband ran a motorcycle shop and motorcycle salvage business and he was always trying to get me to ride streetbikes - to the point of almost giving me a bike. They had a bad accident in TX a few years ago and between that and his age (72) they went ahead and sold out the business and sold the majority of the stock.

Incidentally, many people talk about OWNING this or that. Ownership doesn't always mean that much. I've never owned a Compaq, HP, Packard Bell, etc yet I know lot more about those made in the last 10 years than thier owners do. I've also shot, field stripped, cleaned, and repaired guns I've never owned. For some of them I know the objects better than the owners...

I'll post a pic of thier shop/garage next time I go up there, he's got classic bikes that will make all you bikers drool! [^]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    If Indian went out of business. Then why are there 3 dealers within 100 miles of me?
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

edited November -1
    Just for you ISP
    http://www.indianmotorcycles.com/

TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

• ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools is right look here http://www.indianmotorcycles.com/[:D]

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
  • ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools is right look here http://www.indianmotorcycles.com/[^]

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
    edited November -1
    TOOLS, thats because they have inventory, that they could not return, now its sell it or be stuck with it.[:D]

flageagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    Yep, plenty of dealers and plenty of 03's for sale. NO COMPANY.

JC

edited November -1
    Come to think of it HONDA does the same thing, A friend of mine bought a Honda Gold Wing 3 wheeler, and by the time they got through with all the options the bike cost 6,ooo more than Book.. so HD aint alone.[}:)][}:)]

flageagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I owned a Harley,rode it 4 years and sold it for a little more than what I give for it. It had 7000 miles on it when I bought it and had over 30,000 when I sold it.This was when prices were not like they are now. It is better than money in the bank,that is unless you wreck it.

"Keep dangereous weapons out of the hands of fools-start with computers"
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: My son decided he wanted to purchase a 2004 Road King custom,

roadking.jpg
    [8D]

I'm afraid that when the time comes,,,I am going to look the salesman, from my 'local' Harley Davidson dealership, in the eye and say "Is that the best ya can do?" and then take the plunge.
    They have been good to me throughout the years.
    Seems to me their prices weren't too out of line with the suggested retail prices on the HD website.

,,,sod

cyclone.gifdemandbeeftag.jpg
    edited November -1
    How do ya like those bags, Sod? I looked at one the other day at the HD shop and I liked the old fiberglass, color-keyed bags better than the new ABS units.

Harley probably saved a hundred bucks on each bike with the cheaper bags and STILL raised the price a grand. [:(!]

• sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    How do ya like those bags, Sod? I looked at one the other day at the HD shop and I liked the old fiberglass, color-keyed bags better than the new ABS units.

Harley probably saved a hundred bucks on each bike with the cheaper bags and STILL raised the price a grand. [:(!]

They are part of the bike so's I could live with 'em.
    My first thought was they looked like a "'whitehead' zit with a black hair sticking out of it"[;)]

,,,[:D]sod

cyclone.gifdemandbeeftag.jpg