In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever heard of this Harley Davidson rip off policy?

2»

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Sod, when ya get yer new steed please drop me a line. I am thinking Sturgis 04'?

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    josey1, thats been going on for the past 15 or so years. look on ebay and you can probably find a better deal.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    quote:I imagine the Indian dealer WOULD be very accommodating. They're stuck with new (2003) model Indians that they can hardly give away. Tough to get people to buy a bike from a company that doesn't exist anymore.

Does that mean that their warranties suck too![:D][:D][:D][:D]

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    MSRP means Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. The dealer sets the actual price he sells it for.

There are some dealer's up north that sell to anyone for MSRP. You just have to take some time calling around, or maybe doing a google search, to find them. I'm not sure, but you might try the HD dealer in Mansfield, OH. I know they sell parts at way below MSRP on Ebay, so they might sell bikes close to MSRP also. I got a Lightning Star front wheel that retails for $635, for $315, including shipping, from them last year.

Ford did the same thing awhile back when the new T-Bird's came out. Ford dealers were asking, and getting, 5 thousand over MSRP. Now though, the demand has fallen.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Harley, bought used 93 model in 94. spent way too much time in the shop. 3 trannies came apart on it. traded it in on a new 97. wasnt much better. sold it, bought a japanese touring bike. now, 188k+ miles later, am looking at a new BMW LT. just dont see me goin back to a Harley. Beautiful bikes dont get me wrong, just havent had any good luck with em.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I hear all the stories about how Harleys broke down, I have owned em over the years, Knuckleheads, panheads, shovel heads ,Iron heads. and there was only two times I got Stranded,, one some smart butt, put a peice of cellephane between my points on the old hydra glide, and the other some butt hole stole my spark plugs.[:D][:(!]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    keep shopping !! you know what bike you want now you have to find a dealer you can work with and like . i live in buffalo , ny and ran into the same game . the bikes in stock locally were overpriced . we ended up finding one in rochester ny at suggested retail . the name of the shop is cycle stop (i believe ) .we told them on the phone we were from a different city and they didnt care . first one to walk thru the door with cash buys there bikes . if you need any phone numbers just email me , i'll be happy to help you out .

wrench
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it's a shame, and I know I will take some grief for what I'm about to say...but it's true and I have to say it.

I sold my '73 Harley in '81 and bought a Honda Goldwing Aspencade. It was loaded to the 9's, Stereo, CB, Cruise, defroster, floor boards...everything.

I pulled up to the the bank one day and a guy parked his hog next to me. It was smokin'...literally. He looked at me and flipped me off. LOL. I said, "hey, you're leakin' oil". I'm not a wimp or anything, but I thought it was appropriate. He pushed out his chest and said...."If it ain't leakin' oil...it AIN'T a Harley...AND, if it's a Harley and it ain't leakin' oil...it's OUT OF OIL!"

Take that for what you will. I buy American, but I also believe in buying smart..and in the case of a Harley...well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I put 50,000 miles on that bike...it never leaked oil ONCE, never failed to start, never, ever even gave me a problem. Not sure what else you can say.
    edited November -1
    Might wanna keep checking Fleabay for a like new model. I bought a 2001 Dyna Superglide with 1500 miles on her from a guy last winter in N.Y.C. He had a starting bid on the bike of 10K, I won the auction at 11K. Bike was worth 14-15K with all the extras. Sweet.

JC

• jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Selling a bike above MSRP is not uncommon. Buy a new vette and it will be 2 or 3 thousand more if its a special edition. Same with the Dodge Viper, Ford Thunderbird. Back when they came out with the PT Cruiser The dealers were asking 3000.00 above the MSRP and didn't care if you bought it or not. Its all about supply and demand.
    As for buying a Honda. Whoever wants one go for it. Its your ride and I guess your style.
    JW

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, truth be known...I liked the bike, but it just wasn't a Harley. Don't mistake my post, I LOVE Harleys. They are definitely beautiful machines. I sold the Wing in the end...been holding out for a hog ever since. Maybe someday...but gettin' kinda old for ridin' anymore though.

I must admit though, the original posters comments are somewhat true. I went into a HUGE Harley dealer in MI (brand new place) that was selling Buell's too...they were pretty surly...told me I'd have to wait 6 months at best and figure on paying $20k. I guess business must be good!!
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are plenty of like new Harleys out there...some even with transferrable warranties. Don't let anyone tell that they can't be tranferred either. I took my 2002 1200 Custom Sporty, which I bought with 700 miles on it back to the dealer in the same town and had absolutely no trouble with the transfer. I had outstanding service and was treated just like I bought it there. I'm back in college at age 37 for several more months, but when I get out I'll be in the market for a Harley Fatboy. In the meantime, I'm lucky enough to have a friend who always has one I can ride. Not all Harley dealerships are bad, if your local one is...and I still wanted a Harley, I'd buy used and get it worked on in another shop, there are lots of reputable non-dealer shop that specialize in Harley service and repair.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, what the heck... As far as technology goes, Harleys suck. And yes, I've owned a couple. [;)]
    Once you get over that fact, they do have their good points: they can be pretty comfy to tour on, and you'll always be able to find parts for them, so you'll always be able to keep them on the road. Oh, and they look cool.

I'll probably get another one eventually to tour around on, but if I want to go fast, or have a bike that handles, it ain't gonna be a Harley.
    Blindly worshipping a brand is pretty dumb.

quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    Here we go again on the Harley bashing. You ever own one, trstone?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans
    Oh, what the heck... As far as technology goes, Harleys suck. And yes, I've owned a couple. [;)]
    Once you get over that fact, they do have their good points: they can be pretty comfy to tour on, and you'll always be able to find parts for them, so you'll always be able to keep them on the road. Oh, and they look cool.

I'll probably get another one eventually to tour around on, but if I want to go fast, or have a bike that handles, it ain't gonna be a Harley.
    Blindly worshipping a brand is pretty dumb.

It's not WHAT you ride, it's that you ride.

• 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harley Davidson IMHO is nothing more then OVER-RATED JUNK !!!
    If they made airplanes , would you fly in one ?
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote: So basically he has to either
    buy 3 grand worth of items he does not want or pay $2500 over retail to buy the bike
    he wants.

Paying $2500 over and above a retail price that is already $8000-$10000 more than the overpriced piece of junk is worth??? (IMHO)

As Happy Nanoq likes to say...... "THAT'S JUST PLAIN STOOOOPID!"

But it clearly works for some folks![:p]
    Could this be why some of us refuse to "buy American", just because it's "American"?

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey welcome to the strange world of Harley cultism.
    Frankly i believe everyone should get what they want.
    But as for me i will pass on the Harley and it's mystique....Whatever that is.

mike
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    "cultism", "mystique", "blind loyalty"

Bullcrap !!

Some of the "Harleys-are-junk" stories told in this thread are about the older bikes, primarily the AMF shovelheads, and they WERE pretty unreliable and had poor quality (some, not all of 'em) but since the EVO engine came out, and the Twin Cam after that, the bikes have been great. I have a 1991 FXRS with 90,000 miles on it and it's never missed a lick. Other than performance parts I've spent $0.00 on it. Never even had a valve job.

And the rest of the "Harleys-are-junk" stories here were written by fools just repeating things they've heard from other fools. Most of these guys never got any closer to a Harley than sniffing the seat on one parked outside a biker bar.

I have the bucks to buy any bike I want and I choose to ride a Harley. In fact, I'd like to have a new one but I like my '91 so much I'm just gonna keep riding it. When I DO decide to get a new bagger I plan to keep my Lowrider. It's been too good a bike NOT to keep.

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to thank those of you who have offered their help and advice. There are a few things I would like to address, first I am a repeat buyer of Harley Davidson motorcycles. There was a time when HD was owned by AMF that their product was in fact sub par,as mentioned earlier these are the bikes that spawned so many horror stories.

I also would like to point out to those who are unfamiliar to the older HD's that some of them had self lubricating chains and drives. If you owned a pre-evolution HD motor and it was NOT leaking oil then you would have reason to worry. These motors are the foundation of the many myths associated with Harleys leaking oil.

That said I have owned several HD motorcycles and never had a serious mechanical malfunction of any kind. I put 20,000 miles on a Road King that with regular routine maintenance rode as smooth as the day it was new. Of course there are the regular wear and tear part replacements that go with any motor vehicle, but I honestly never heard of someone putting that kind of mileage on a import so I wouldn't know how they would fare.

Incidentaly, I sold 2 Harley Davidson Softails for $1000 more than I paid for them 5 years later, just try and get that return from an import. The whole beef I have with HD(and it really isn't with HD products) is with their lack of control or supervision of their dealers.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the smaller dealers upstate. The dealer in Rochester wouldn't even talk to me when I bought the sportster. These people bent over backwards to put me on a bike.

http://www.stanshd.com/

This guy has a good reputation also.
    http://www.harvsharley.com/

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOWRIDER, I heard Indian had their own motor for the 2003, but it still looks like an S&S. Did they produce it themselves? Whats different?
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic and Josey, afford or jealousy aint got nuttin to do wit it!

I am a full fledged throttle jockey when it comes to two wheeled riding, I love that 0 to 60 rush, I love hitting a passing lane, dropping to third gear and lettin her rip! I love the handling of a sport bike, nothing else touches it. While I don't like speeding on 4 wheels, give me a bike that runs and I will show you how I ride.

Now, does harley build a bike that will satisfy me? Nope, the V-Rod? Pulease! That thing is like hotrodding a VW beetle, sorry but no ceegar!

Ok, when harley builds a bike for the throttle jockeys maybe more throttle jockeys will buy them but untill then the Harleys are just too dang lacking in the performance dept unless you want to spend an extra $10,000 in the parts room when that $10,000 will get you a throttle machine in factory condition.

Most of the time when i bash on Harleys it is all jokes but the idea that if you ride a jap bike means you are poor is an outright lie and a cheap shot. I can afford a Harley, probably more so than alot of the trailer trash you see living in a 50 year old mobile home but having a brand new harley!

So it's like this, not everybody wants to ride a Harley, the arrogant comment about being able to afford one is lame. Some people like Goldwings, some people like small bikes, some people like Harleys and some like throttle machines. I have thought about buying a Harley and yes I have rode one but the more I hear the almighty Harley owners act like they are something special because of bike choice the more I decide against joining that group.

Now, I have to go to NYC and get another load of trash, C-YA![:D][:D][:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    The new proprietary Indian engine doesn't look a thing like a Harley or S&S engine. It somewhat resembles a Panhead Harley. Look here.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.com/machines/chief/index.cfm

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comparing a Harley Davidson to a crotch rocket rice burner is like comparing an Norinco AK47 to Holland and Holland Double Rifle. Two completely different applications for two very different motorcycles. If I was about 40 years younger and was still filled with testosterone I would still be be foolish enough to ride fast and loose. When you get older and you learn to slow down and enjoy the scenery as well as the ride you will look closer at that HD than you think, there really is no substitute. You have to own one to understand.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
    edited November -1
    Hey Josey: You're talking to a dude who pulls wheelies at 100mph while giving the finger to the Hell's Angels. You can't tell him ANYTHING! [:D]

• hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new proprietary Indian engine doesn't look a thing like a Harley or S&S engine. It somewhat resembles a Panhead Harley. Look here.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.com/machines/chief/index.cfm

while the indian motor is good looking most of the internals are the same as a S&S or evo. I was chatting with a guy on a bike related board who clamed he was one of the engeners that designed it. basically they just changed the cosmetics of it and relocated the oil pump and filter.Indian has also closed its doors the site you linked to is not showing 2004 models. heres a story from american motorcycle network. its dated sept 03 but is the newest as far as indian is concerned.
    http://www.americanmotor.com/news.cfm?newsid=2236

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
    edited November -1
    Yeah, further back in this thread we talked about Indian going belly-up.

edited November -1
    Yep, I seem to remember telling Tools bout that one.[:D]

JC

• jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess some like to stick their * in the air and their nose in the dirt and run down the road at 100 mph. I like to cruise. As Joesy said You've got to own one to really know.
    JW

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lord Lowrider, you won't let that old joke die will you?

Josey, it's a bike, it has two wheels and an engine to make it go, it is not a godly piece of machinery. Your comments sound just like the guys with the $5,000 shotgun looking down upon the guy with the Mossberg. If that is the attitude (I'm better than you because I own a .......) that comes with owning a certain brand of anything I will stay down in the gutters with the rest of the bums because that is not the attitude I want to be labeled with.

7mm, he who cannot afford to buy a Harley so he is stuck in the gutter with the rest of the wannabes. yeah right.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 2 hogs in the garage and have had two Honda 750's and a Yahama 500. The truly good bikes were the Honda's. Harley is hype, (although good looking, cool sounding, heart throbbing). My 10,000 mile HD tune up cost ~ $500. I paid $400 for a used Honda that almost never needed anything but gas. Go figure. [^]
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    low, I respect you but I have to say, that Harley has made a habit out of dicking the consumer. ex, order a harley. you will wait, upwards of 6 mos, to a year. Order it from saudi arabia? bout 3 mos. or have you ever seen the upside down harley emblems? tribute to a guy who sold them even through the amf period, for 60 years. refused to 'upgrade' his wildly succesful dealership to a 'boutique'. Harley shut himdown. Screw it, i want a Polaris Victory. American made, without the attitude, and more hp.....ps, although i have yet to own a Harley, I have painted over 20 of them for guys who call me their bro, and they know my feelings towards the H/D corparate screw job.quote:Originally posted by Lowrider

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yay, another argument about harley davidsons junk bikes again...

Hondas and Yamahas are for people who want to ride.

Harleys are for people who wish they just wanted to ride, but they would much rather be part of the "coool lifestyle"

hahahha [}:)][:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut
    I can afford a Harley, probably more so than alot of the trailer trash you see living in a 50 year old mobile home but having a brand new harley!

Oh don't even get me started on this! [:D][:D]

See it everyday.. [V]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    edited November -1
    Ruger:

"Harleys are for people who wish they wanted to ride...?"

I didn't put the 90,000 miles on my Harley by cruising to the sushi bar and back once a week.

Mike: You used to wait months and months for delivery of a new Harley but that was a few years ago at the peak of their sales boom. Since then the production has increased considerably and the sales have decreased somewhat so that today you can pretty-much find the model you want on the dealer's floor. If not, they can get it in a couple of days from another dealer. The long waits are a thing of the past.

I have a good friend who rides a Polaris Victory. In fact, we took a long ride throught the southwest USA in fall of 2002. They are a good-running bike and very reliable but they have their faults. He couldn't comfortably put the miles on his Victory every day that I could put on my Harley. The riding position isn't as laid-back and the Victorys vibrate a lot more up through the seat, handlebars and footpegs. Also, you say they have more horsepower, and maybe they do on the dyno, but they don't get it to the road. My 80-cubic inch FXRS will eat his 92-cubic inch Victory alive, in both through-the-gears acceleration and especially through the twisty backroads. The Victory handles like a slug. Also the transmissions are the clunkiest damn things I've ever seen on a motorcycle. It's impossible to shift it smoothly, either up OR down. Reminds me of shifting an old Allis-Chalmers tractor.

On the plus side, the Victory fuel injection is very efficient, compensates very well for changes in altitude, and he was getting about 50 mpg to my 44 mpg, but I have quite a few performance parts on my bike which detract from the gas mileage.

Everybody needs to ride what they want. You'll NEVER hear me bash someone else's bike unless they start bashing mine first. I like anything with two wheels.

• cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    90000 miles in 20 years can someone help me with the math.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Hey I like harleys....but i'd rather buy a used one, not from a dealer. In a way, it still 'supports' harley as most of the sellers will buy another one.quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    Ruger:

"Harleys are for people who wish they wanted to ride...?"

I didn't put the 90,000 miles on my Harley by cruising to the sushi bar and back once a week.

Mike: You used to wait months and months for delivery of a new Harley but that was a few years ago at the peak of their sales boom. Since then the production has increased considerably and the sales have decreased somewhat so that today you can pretty-much find the model you want on the dealer's floor. If not, they can get it in a couple of days from another dealer. The long waits are a thing of the past.

I have a good friend who rides a Polaris Victory. In fact, we took a long ride throught the southwest USA in fall of 2002. They are a good-running bike and very reliable but they have their faults. He couldn't comfortably put the miles on his Victory every day that I could put on my Harley. The riding position isn't as laid-back and the Victorys vibrate a lot more up through the seat, handlebars and footpegs. Also, you say they have more horsepower, and maybe they do on the dyno, but they don't get it to the road. My 80-cubic inch FXRS will eat his 92-cubic inch Victory alive, in both through-the-gears acceleration and especially through the twisty backroads. The Victory handles like a slug. Also the transmissions are the clunkiest damn things I've ever seen on a motorcycle. It's impossible to shift it smoothly, either up OR down. Reminds me of shifting an old Allis-Chalmers tractor.

On the plus side, the Victory fuel injection is very efficient, compensates very well for changes in altitude, and he was getting about 50 mpg to my 44 mpg, but I have quite a few performance parts on my bike which detract from the gas mileage.

Everybody needs to ride what they want. You'll NEVER hear me bash someone else's bike unless they start bashing mine first. I like anything with two wheels.

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!