In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Mark II or Browning Buck Mark

BigBubbaBigBubba Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I got a little problem here. I'm decided between either a Ruger Mark II or Browning Buck Mark pistol in .22, but can't decide between them. The Browning is only a little higher and a very fine pistol, but I've "heard" that the Ruger is tougher, plus I like the feel of the Ruger better.

Anyway, what's the deal with the Ruger? Is it a jam-o-matic? Can you hit the side of a barn with it? I'm looking for a good plinking and camping pistol with good reliability and decent accuracy, if that helps.

I appreciate everyone's patience here. Thanks.

"Sure, you can trust the government. Just ask an American Indian."
-Bumper sticker

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword is more fun.

"Keep your eyes open, do your own thinking, and be your own man."
-Marshal Matt Dillon

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the browning, but I own a Ruger Mark 2, and I love it !!! It is extremly accurate and reliable!!! I prefer the Rugers as they are American made!!!

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Ruger Mark II Government target. I am pleased with the accuracy with it. No jams.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I'll have to ditto what Pa said.[:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had very good experiences with both. They are both accurate and reliable. The browning probably has a better trigger, but they are both very good. I can spit 10rds out of my Ruger 22/45 (same as MK11 but with different magazine release) into a nice tight group on the pistol range round after round with no problems. Same with the browning. I really wouldn't say one is more accurate than the other because it would really depend on what model you got. I have an older buckmark, the grip frame's anodizing is turning purple. It has had thousand upon thousands of rounds fired thru it, and its just as accurate, and probably more reliable than the day I bought it. The trigger is so short and light (but still safe and crisp) that I can empty a 10rd magazine and make it sound like a machine pistol, and keep everything in the A zone of a IPSC target at 3 yds.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Just before Christmas I bought a Ruger MKII 512 target. I am
    very impressed with it. Its performed flawlessly even with
    cheap ammo. I am getting good and accurate with it.[:p]

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have both and they are both good. Dollar difference isn't that great so go with the one that feels best in yer paw ...

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am real happy with my browning, one of my cousins has a ruger Mark II and he loves it. Contender Man has a good point, i think whatever feels better when you hold it will be the right choice for you.

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't go wrong with either, but when you do decide which one to get, I can advise that you most definately should purchase as many extra magazines as you can along with a thumb saver. Because ammo goes out alot faster than it goes in, and there is nothing funner than throwing in a fresh magazine and going again without having to load it all over. And the thumb saver, just get it. If you don't, you'll know why after the first time you shoot.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not tryin' to talk you out of either, but I might add you should check out the S&W .22's. For an awesome plinker/competition gun the model 41 is sweet! For a cheaper gun the 22a/22s models are great too. I shoot the older 422/622 S&W's and really like 'em. I have shot the Ruger but if I remember right the owner said they are a pain to clean. I just didn't like the Browning pistol as much as either of the others...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF THIS IS FOR PLINKING AND HUNTING EITHER WILL DO JUST FINE. IF IT'S FOR SERIOUS TARGET SHOOTING GO WITH THE BROWNING, THE TRIGGER IS BETTER.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger MK1 and MKll, both are excellant, but now that I have the S&W 22A , it would be a toss up as to the one I like better, Give the Smith a try. The smith and the ruger are comparable in price..One thing about the smith, dont have to mount a scope mount to it as it comes equipped..

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the Browning because they are easier to field strip.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned both (several Rugers) and the appeal of the Browning Micro was the size and the trigger. I have only owned one Browning and it was absolutely 100% reliable for the couple hundred rounds I owned it. The accuracy was not what I was expecting, after owning several Rugers. I think either will make you happy, the Browning has a better trigger, the Ruger is probably more rugged and accurate.

I also had a Smith 622 with adj, sights that was a great gun reliability wise, about average accuracy wise. I bought it because a friend had a 422 that was incredibly accurate...and reliable. I still think these are great little handguns. The new Smith 22's seem a little blocky to me.
  • BigBubbaBigBubba Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, folks. BTW, what's a thumb saver?

I'm leaning toward the Ruger.

"Sure, you can trust the government. Just ask an American Indian."
    -Bumper sticker

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword is more fun.

"Keep your eyes open, do your own thinking, and be your own man."
    -Marshal Matt Dillon
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i own both mk11&buckmark,also a S&W model46,cheaper version of the 42. all are older guns and made in USA all work great allthe time.i think i have had only about 10 jams total with all three,and it only happens when the weather drops below zero,which it has the last couple of weeks.shooting a brick on a sunday is pretty much standard even now when the weather is not great. my advice is buy both!
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Interesting you should mention below freezing.
    I have put several hundred rounds through my Ruger Mark II in
    weather bellow -20 cel and it operated as well as it did in
    warm weather.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger!!! I recieved one as a teen and it has been to Hell and back and still functions just fine...It went on the "Trapline" every day of the season for years. Target practice galore. It's been drowned, buried, frozen, dropped, made it through a few years with my son also when he was a teen. Now my daughter wants to use it. I can't even imagine how many rounds have been put through that gun!?!

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    You'll have it for life. Go with what feels best.
    I like the styling on the Buckmark Standard 5.5" barrel better, and bought it.
    Point and shoot from the waist to 15 yards.
    With sights, to 100+ yards.
    Very accurate once you "click" in the sights.
    Takes about 800-1200 rounds to really get good at those distances.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Never had the browning but do own a ruger and have had it for about 16 years. Embarrassed to say I have never cleaned it yet it has had thousands of rounds shot through it, bounced around in my field pack, on a ATV, dust, dirt, snow, ice, etc. Never have I had it jam. Tough is the word and accuracy is the promise.[;)]
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Ruger Handguns and one Browning Handgun.Only complaint was with the Browning.New out of the box; had a rough time dealing with with them.Cost me $40.00 to get my new Hi-Power repaired.No more Browning products for me.[V]

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Ruger - made by an anti-gun rights family.

Browning - good.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    "Hey Doug" where are you getting this information about Anti-Gun Rights from? And I would also like to know if you would like to buy a new gun and have to send it for repairs, and they send it back without a clip.They claimed that I sent it without both clips.They also said they would re-imburse me for the Shipping & Insurance.But after 3 phone calls and promises that they would take care of it.I got nothing.I gave up on Browning.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not just because Im a Ruger fan,but I like the MK II much better,I have two standard Models and they both shoot great.I also prefer the Ruger 22/45,mine has a 4 3/4 inch Bull Barrel and is capable of shooting match competition.It also has some resemblance in the hand to the 1911 .45 acp.Ive shot S&W's counterpart as well as the Browning,IMHO the Ruger seems to be a better gun.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy both guns and keep the one you like better. I personaly have chosen the Buckmark after owning both.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    The Ruger is a utilitarian cheap gun. While not a Davis or a Jennings it is also not the quality of a High Standard, Browning, or S&W. It is poorly designed resulting it in being a pain in the * to breakdown and assemble. The trigger on it stinks as well. From extensive hunting experience with both I can also tell you the Ruger will not function as well as the Buckmark when it is below freezing and full of grit, mud and snow.

Go with the Browning Buckmark. It is more accurate, dependable, has a better trigger and easier to breakdown and assemble. The standard Buckmark also comes with nice grips and adjustable sight which the Ruger doesn't. In the standard models the pricing is about the same. I currently have a standard slabsided Buckmark with the adjustable sights. With a few clicks on the sight I can make pop cans dance at 50 yards offhand. I could tell you stories about my experiences with Ruger accuracy as well, but that would be considered blasphemy by the Ruger fanatics.

Of course both of them offer adjustable sights in the higher models.
    Ruger can't compete with the Buckmark in the target models in terms of triggers and overall accuracy.

Just my opinion based on owning and shooting them both. Before everyone jumps on me, I should say I am not a Ruger hater or basher. I like some Ruger guns. But shoot the Ruger and Browning pistols in comparision and it is obvious.

Also consider Ruger's legendary customer service. There is a reason they are so good. They get lots of practice.

You should get the one that you like best after shooting both of them.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I hate Ruger! I had a MarkII pistol for the wife, shot good, but lousy design, and a real itch for teardown & put back together.
    Dumped it about 6 months after I bought it.

Just bought a "Dirty Carl" a Walther P22 with the 3.5" & 5" barrel sets.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15514862
    I did not buy from this guy!, bought through my local C3 dlr.

Just ordered a ACC Pilot suppressor for it! Should get the suppressor approved & in my hot lil hands in about 4 months.
    The P22 is well balanced and super accurate @ 15 yds in offhand all shots within a 5" circle. And I aint a super shooter either.
    Walte
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I use to own a couple of Ruger Mark II's, both with adjustable target sights and they were ok. One was a bull barrel the other tapered. The triggers weren't the best and they were a pain in the * if you ever tore them down but they were ok. But the Buckmark, I got nothing but love for my Buckmark. I can consistently make shots with this gun that I honestly believe I could not have done with either of my Ruger's. The trigger on the Bucky is awsome, balance is sweet, field stripping's a breeze and it eats and spits out anything I put in its mouth without a hitch. Mine is the Micro Nickle Slabside with a 6" barrel and it is awsome.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger Mark I that I've had for over twenty years now. It has never jammed or malfunctioned, ever. It is accurate, reliable, and I've been able to put 10 rounds into a target in 1.8 seconds. The Browning is also a fine handgun, and honestly, you won't go wrong with either one. If you get the Ruger, consider getting a thumbrest grip, the comfort difference will help your shooting.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    My name is Nick. I am technically-challenged.
    That in mind, I have a pair of Mark II's in different barrel length, as well as the Ruger commemorative mark II. i also have a Buckmark.
    For the technically-challenged, the choice is Buckmark. (Intriguing, the contributor who said he hadn't cleaned his yet. I could do that!)
    Buckmark for ease of cleaning.
    Ruger Mark II for ergonomics, although the Browning is fine.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I chose the Buck Mark and have not been sorry. I also shoot a Beretta Neos, and older Colt Woodsman/Huntsman. Buck Mark Ranks up with those. That said, I am not a fan of Rugers, so have no experience with their semi autos.

He Dog
  • ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Ruger.

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Browning Buckmark is the better buy plus its about 300 times easier to rake apart and clean. The Ruger can give you a nervous breakdown trying to get it reassembled after cleaning!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Smokin GunsSmokin Guns Member Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    I'm a'thinkin "Shoot 'em all, and let god (or whoever y'alls into) sort 'em out"...[;)]

th_22rules.jpg

barbed_w.gif
    army_soldier2.gifamericashapeflag.gifgun1.gif
    barbed_w.gif
  • lmfischerlmfischer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally like the Mark II. I have a stainless target model and a blued government model. Both will eat virtually any .22 ammo without much jamming (you're always going to have a few) and the only problem I've had is the extractors seem to break at about 10,000 rounds but they are easy to replace (you can use the one from your 10/22 in a pinch). Contrary to popular belief, the Mark II is NOT hard to take apart; it's the reassembly that can be a little tricky. However, if you simply RTFM before you start, you won't have any trouble.

"No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." - Homer Simpson
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't shot the browning, but the ruger is an excellent pistol. Even my wife liked it. I hit a 10 inch target 18 times out of 20 rounds at 25 yds. One great gun.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would difinitely add another vote for the Ruger. Think about how many other manufacturers .22 handguns have come and gone while Ruger made over 3 million of the Mark I and II pistols. They must have done something right. If you are concerned about dissassembly and reassembly, check out this site ( http://www.ontargetguns.com/striptip.html ). There is also a product out that replaces some parts and is supposed to make it extremely easy to do, if I can find it, I will post a link to it.

Ok, I found it -- http://powercustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=261&osCsid=f02b5bea24f3b539f8a682d2bc3fb274

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, BigBubba, let us know what you finally decide to get.

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Get the ruger. I had a 10inch target model that was very accurate. I dont understand everyones problem with reassembling the gun. There is just a small procedure to learn and then it goes together in a few seconds.

I will add that I had the gun sent in for trigger work and had some target grips made for it. My hands are big so the stock plastic grips were a bit small. The gun very seldom jammed even with the cheap ammo i usually shoot.

Cant knock the browning either though, never shot one.
  • jl45jl45 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Buckmark feels real good in my hand. I have a camper model that I use to chase golf balls out to about 15 to 20 yards, then I use my 10/22 out beyond that. I love both Ruger and Browning but I have to say I prefer the Buckmark in a 22 pistol.

jl45
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I own both and like the browning better. While plinking the Ruger will jam shells after two or three clips are emptied my browning has never doen this. Yes, I throughly clean both afterwards (before anyone asks).

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent