In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Passion

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The movie about the life of Christ should be opening next week. Everyone and their freinds should go see it its first week because the film industry rates its films based upon the attendance during the first week a film is released. If alot of people go see it, It will show the film industry that the public likes movies with a good moral family oriented plot and may push more films that contain less corrupting material. Its supposed to be a great movie anyway.

Larry

Comments

• Annie-OAnnie-O Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's already sold out in all theaters around here. I have a seat reserved and will be going on the 29th.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sold out in Kansas City Metro too!

You all might want to watch the big Mel Gibson-Diane Sawyer interview tonight - should be pretty interesting - saw a clip this morning.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our church has sign up for it. Already talked to fellow empolyee and she said their tickets were all gone. Full house.
    That's good to hear. Annie O is it being shown at the inside
    theater north east of the square or so? Artcraft, I think that's the name of it.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope the movie is better than the book.
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    I hope the movie is better than the book.

Have you really read the book? Anyway, my wife and kids and I are seeing it on February 23 here. I think the movie will give me a deeper appreciation of what Jesus went through for me.

Bruce
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    From all indications, Gibson is espousing a radical Catholic viewpoint. I have read that it is very violent and borders on the sadistic. Gibson is presenting a very narrow view of the gospels. I understand that it is not about the life of Christ, but, about the death of Christ and who is to blame for his execution. According to what is written in the bible, we already know who is responsible for Christ's death, don't we?

And, isn't it subtitled?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantole

I think the movie will give me a deeper appreciation of what Jesus went through for me.

If you need Mel Gibson's help in this regard, then enjoy.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I will see it, and appreciate it as a fascinating slice of history.

There's no need for bile to get involved...

Woodshermit: It's in Latin and Aramaic with English subtitles, as I understand it. They seem to have really done their homework.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some Hollywood types have labled it too violent. Duh! I guess scenes from past Hollywood box office hits don't tip their violence scale. Violence takes place in abortion clinics. Maybe that's why they don't make movies depicting the mutliation of an innocent life as it's dismemberd and taken forcefully from the womb. Christ suffered horribly at the hands of his oppressors and he too, like an unborn child was innocent and pure. Those who don't want to see it have the right not to go especially for fear it may sear their hearts and bring conviction upon their souls.

This will be the first time a movie will show in all it's brutality what Christ actually suffered between the time Pilot washed his hands and Christ committing his spirit to the Father on the cross.
    I don't particularly care that much for Mel Gibson but as the saying goes, "The Lord works in mysterious ways...."

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see the praise lavished on films such as the Hannibal Lecter series, some sick crap about a cannibal. I like Sir Anthony, and Jodie Foster too, but please! Talk about violence. I refused to watch those gems, once I had learned the content.
    Those films were fine, but a film on the death of Christ is not good, too violent for the Hollywood elite. Not surprising at all.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 96harley
    Our church has sign up for it. Already talked to fellow empolyee and she said their tickets were all gone. Full house.
    That's good to hear. Annie O is it being shown at the inside
    theater north east of the square or so? Artcraft, I think that's the name of it.

Artcraft theater is closed.We now have canary creek cinimas. It will be playing their on Feb 25 .But it is sold out as far south as seymour I don't know if it is all over the state but we checked a lot of theaters and all were sold out.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 96harley
    Some Hollywood types have labled it too violent. Duh! I guess scenes from past Hollywood box office hits don't tip their violence scale.
    This will be the first time a movie will show in all it's brutality what Christ actually suffered between the time Pilot washed his hands and Christ committing his spirit to the Father on the cross.
    I don't particularly care that much for Mel Gibson but as the saying goes, "The Lord works in mysterious ways...."

I wonder if the"Hollywood types" ever watch their own movies?[?]
    Was the "Friday the 13th" or the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series, or the "Lethel Weapon" series not violent enough for them?
    Films like "Saving Private Ryan" and "Schindelers List" also have graphic content but I guess that is OK!![;)]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure it is violent ... but so was crucifixion. I'm not sure I can handle watching it myself, but I am glad that Jesus died in my place. Sure is proof of how much God loves us![:D]

I saw the Mel Gibson interview on Monday evening ... sure looks to me like he is on track. Kind of refreshing when you so many of the Hollywood crowd do messed up. I guess I do wonder why he is taking so much flack for showing the truth.

As to being anti-semitic ... well it's not the Jews who killed Jesus ... in a sense we are all guilty!

Yes, I have read the book ... it's GREAT![:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Oh, yes, I was going to mention since the other discussion got locked up ... sure looks to me like Mel Gibson is a Catholic who is also a Christian!

(Yes, he is in a bit of an off-shoot group from the Catholic Church that I might not go for, but he is a believer in the Lord. Most people I know see Vatican II as a great step forward.)

May God Bless y'al real good!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im definitely gonna go see this one, even though I havent been to the theater in like a year.. Waste of money IMO, but this one i'll pay for.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,451 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I will see it, and appreciate it as a fascinating slice of history.

Yes, I believe Dr. Gibson got his Ph.D. in biblical history at Tulane.

Come on, it's a movie, can you say, "make believe"

He Dog
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote:I will see it, and appreciate it as a fascinating slice of history.

Yes, I believe Dr. Gibson got his Ph.D. in biblical history at Tulane.

Come on, it's a movie, can you say, "make believe"

He Dog

Movie it may be... make believe it is not....
    Lots of movies based on real life..
    PT 109...
    To Hell and back...
    Schindler's List...
    Seabiscuit...
    to name a few,
    Being a movie doesn't mean make believe.

cg1.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Annie-O

Yes, there is something about sitting in the dark with popcorn and Raisinets that adds credibility to whatever is portrayed.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked for a well-known restorer of vintage liturgical pieces, and there was a lot of statuary, including a statue of Jesus after the scourging which was covered, head to toe, in gruesome cuts and blood everywhere. He said that this depiction of the scourging was much more realistic than the few stripes on the back you often see in Hollywood films and even paintings.

I guess Mel is going for realism with this version, a lofty goal which he will no doubt not achieve 100%. But I will see it, though I may wait for the DVD.

I'm pretty jaded about going to the theater these days. I did like Zeferelli's "Jesus of Nazareth" fairly well even though I had a little trouble at first getting past the TV actors in it. But then, I also braved the picketers to see Scorsese's "Last Temptation of Christ" years ago. So I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy when it comes to interesting films about the subject matter.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    Maybe it is real, ever hear of the Dead Sea videos?

Make mine Milk Duds!

He Dog
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Amazing how the forces of light and dark war on this earth..always and forever.

On this shoulder,the little voices...trying to steer one to the light,to the truth...

On the other shoulder,the little voices,trying to steer one toward the dark,to the pit...

Step right up,ladies and gentleman..take your pick !!

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Whether or not a carpenter called Jesus of Nazareth was the savior of humanity will always be in debate.

What's not in debate is that he was tried, tortured, and executed as a heretic. His life and death massively changed the course of history.

With the amount of sheer effort they've put into making the movie historically accurate, I will enjoy that aspect of it.

"If they aren't able to destroy the desire for freedom, they won't break you. They won't break me because the desire for freedom, and the freedom of the Irish people, is in my heart. The day will dawn when all the people of Ireland will have the desire for freedom to show. It is then we'll see the rising of the moon."
    -Bobby Sands
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanna go see it, even though I'm not really religious myself. I wouldn't even go so far as to say I'm a Christian. Actually, "spiritual cipher" would probably be the most accurate (not to mention "charitable") description for me. But it sure looks like a neat film to me---elaborate and well-done. And the fact they're trying to do it in the actual languages (or so I understand) of the day intrigues me too.
    edited November -1
    Oh, I will see it too, but I don't confuse the movie with history, there is really very, very little reliable history (apart from the Bible; documents to corroborate the Bible are very scarce). From what it have read it is a very powerful and moving flick. so was Field of Dreams for me, but I don't believe that somewhere on an Iowa farm...

He Dog
  • spike449spike449 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog, "Very little reliable history" that supports the life of Jesus?? There are several hundred if not thousands of references to the life of Christ, done by secular writers and historians. One of the most revelant was a Jewish writer namen Josephus from the period of 75 to 125 AD. You want a fasiniating read, he tracked down eye wittnesses for the details of what he wrote.

If you do read the Christian Handbook, you may see a passage I like. When you meet Jesus, and you will, you will recall these words "Every knee will bow and Every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is LORD!"

Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement. Gen. Omar Bradley
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

...there is really very, very little reliable history (apart from the Bible; documents to corroborate the Bible are very scarce).

I must repectfully disagree. There is a large body of evidence to suggest that Pontius Pilate bore a striking resemblance to Danny DeVito; and that Mary Magdalene had both the joie de vive and distinct musical stylings of Courtney Love. I suspect that it was only their scheduling conflicts that prevented Gibson from placing these actors in the roles of their historical look-alikes.
    edited November -1
    There is for example one existing Roman document that references Pontius Pilot, and not from the time he seems to have been in Judea. We know that Jesus existed, that is not the issue, but the Jesus of history and the Jesus of faith are clearly two very different men.

He Dog
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I think that chasing your tail and sniffing your * has made you stoned.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will cherish that sage bit of wisdom.

He Dog
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Amazing how the forces of light and dark war on this earth..always and forever.

On this shoulder,the little voices...trying to steer one to the light,to the truth...

On the other shoulder,the little voices,trying to steer one toward the dark,to the pit...

Step right up,ladies and gentleman..take your pick !!

God,Guts,& Guns<BR>Have we lost all 3 ??<BR>

Don't get on that "Long Black Train". [:D][:D][:D]

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by Annie-O

Yes, there is something about sitting in the dark with popcorn and Raisinets that adds credibility to whatever is portrayed.
    Raisinet fan are ya? I would have ya pegged more for Goobers.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, Mr Gibson. Your paranoid ravings and highly selective choice of interviews are successful in publicizing a movie that will be seen for a couple of weeks in the theater and then go straight to video. Perhaps you will recoup your 28 million dollar investment. Certainly, you can be proud of your efforts to show the TRUTH based on a very narrow interpretation of an event recorded years after it occurred. I read that there is 10 minutes devoted to brutal and bloody flagellation; just the thing for those youngsters hauled to the movies by their well-meaning parents.
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    I think I'll go watch it when it comes out. Should be interesting.

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
    edited November -1
    A movie that has some significant social and moral value gets critized before it is released, while some terrible movies that are morally trash get all the accolades. I guess it illustrates just what a cesspool that Hollywood has become over the years.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    How can you tell if it has "significant social and moral value" before it is released?
    edited November -1
    BlackieBooger wrote:?
    A movie that has some significant social and moral value gets critized before it is released, while some terrible movies that are morally trash get all the accolades. I guess it illustrates just what a cesspool that Hollywood has become over the years.
    Maybe it says something about a whole country - a whole world - that really needs redemption![:)]

Looks like the folks that have seen the "pre-viewing" are telling us that it is pretty accurate and pretty violent ... in this case, it probably is a good thing, but not a good thing to take the kids to see.

I keep wondering why nothing is said about the resurrection ... I sure hope is does not end with the crucifixion. The book doesn't end there! Good thing for us! [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    How can you tell if it has "significant social and moral value" before it is released?

If one is a Christian, the crucifixion has significant social and moral value for you. If one is not a Christian, then chances are it would not.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    andersk - from what I understand, the movie does not include the ressurection. Since it is about the passion (aka suffering) only, it only includes the 12 hours prior to and including the crucifixion - starting in the Garden of Gethsemene the evening prior and ending at Golgotha.

Maybe the ressurection will be the sequel?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Gibson, if one believes what he said in the Sawyer interview, felt compelled to make the movie. He did the best job he could and spent his own money on the project. I don't doubt his sincerity, though I might question exactly what he is sincere about; the message or the potential for a profit. It really makes no difference to me and very probably, my opinion doesn't mean a lot to him.

Those that want to see the movie, can, and those who have no interest, cannot be compelled to attend a performance.

So, what's the complaint?

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    I know there are some sincerely religious folks on this forum. I hope that anyone who goes to see this movie will report back and let us know what you think of it.