In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

G.E.D. Graduation Today

Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was asked to give the keynote speech at the G.E.D. graduation this afternoon. It's always inspiring to see folks that would otherwise just..be, I guess, decide to move up and move on. There were 39 different stories to tell today.

I wrapped up my speech with three quotes: one from Hunter S. Thompson, one from my great grandfather and one from Tesla. Not the inventor. The band. Then the words, "Rock and Roll"

The crowd hollered like it was a concert.

Then, the coolest moment of the day. A 17-year old man (one of last years' grads) gave a short, heartfelt speech about turning his back on bad influences and not letting other people define you.

Dude was maybe five-two and a buck-ten at the most.

He looked a little nervous at first, but as he fell into the rhythym of the words he wrote, his voice gained strength and timbre. He exhorted the grads to use their newfound accomplishment as a foundation to build better lives on. It was fifty times better than any valedictorian speech I've ever heard at any High School graduation I've ever been to. It was awesome to see.

And you know how damn overdone the standing ovation is these days? It seems to have lost meaning.

I'm tellin' ya, man. When that man said "Thank you" at the end of his speech, the entire theater leapt to our feet spontaneoualy in a rare, genuine show of appreciation. It was a very natural thing to do.

He looked surprised at first, then as the realization that this was his true, shining moment sank in, his face just split into a huge grin. He never before realized what a gift his voice is.

What a great way to spend a Saturday.

Comments

• goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What song was the Tesla quote from ?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer
    What song was the Tesla quote from ?

"What You Give".

Maybe it was slightly out of context, being a love song and all but when asking the grads to use their experience and initiative to make their place in the world a little better, the words, "It's not what you've got. It's what you give" seemed appropriate.
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My G.E.D. diploma was mailed to me back in 83'. Looking back on it, woulda been kinda cool to have had a graduation.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer
    My G.E.D. diploma was mailed to me back in 83'. Looking back on it, woulda been kinda cool to have had a graduation.

I'm hip. The program at the JuCo here is awesome.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got mine in the 60s. Picked up a few degrees since then, but never had a high school diploma- until 4 years ago. Virginia grants a very nice diploma to vets that left school to enter military service.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell my daughter is having a little bit of a hard time right now because of all the celebrating. She hasn't said anything.....but its the LACK of saying anything AT ALL that convinces me that she is a little sad to be missing out. She got her G.E.D. last year and moved on to the local Jr. College. Prom pictures are plastered all over everyone's Myspace that she is looking at and we are recieving Graduation invitations in the mail from family and friends. I keep telling her that she is ahead and in a much better place because of her decision to move on. It would have been nice to have had some kind of event though.

Now I wish I had at least thrown a party or something.

Colonel Plink....that is a great story.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    I had to leave school at a younger age than most. Made my way through
    life for another 34 years, Had a family and a long successful career in
    sales. Received my G.E.D. diploma proudly on Dec 13 2008.

Success has always been easy to measure.
    It is the distance between one's origins and one's
    final achievement.

Still working on my spelling. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Humans are social animals, but there's a great teachable moment here. maybe if you remind her that there was something about the ordinary school experience that didn't appeal to her, so she took the extraordinary step of doing it her own way.

That was the crux of my speech, but I wish I had a copy of that young man's speech today. It would be much more inspiring than mine, because he was her peer. She might relate to him better than me. Just remind her tht she didn't let anybody label her and she's doing things her own way and, even though there are some things she missed out on, it's because she's further ahead than kids her age. We all lament the pasing of our youth.

And it may not be too late to find a way to really celebrate her acheivement.

quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I can tell my daughter is having a little bit of a hard time right now because of all the celebrating. She hasn't said anything.....but its the LACK of saying anything AT ALL that convinces me that she is a little sad to be missing out. She got her G.E.D. last year and moved on to the local Jr. College. Prom pictures are plastered all over everyone's Myspace that she is looking at and we are recieving Graduation invitations in the mail from family and friends. I keep telling her that she is ahead and in a much better place because of her decision to move on. It would have been nice to have had some kind of event though.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOSLEEP

final achievement.

You GO, man!

That's outstanding. I attended the Junior College graduation yesterday and heard a cool phrase:
    "Write your goals in concrete and your plans in sand."
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    around 80 I wanted to reenlist in the Marines. But a new Order had come out saying you must at least have a GED. But to get everything I wanted I had to do it fast. They called the Office that held the GED and found they had a test the very next day.

Took it and passed it. No study just took it.

Didn't get my actual High School diploma till 93. Next year I had an AA in General Studies.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    I was asked to give the keynote speech at the G.E.D. graduation this afternoon. It's always inspiring to see folks that would otherwise just..be, I guess, decide to move up and move on. There were 39 different stories to tell today.

I wrapped up my speech with three quotes: one from Hunter S. Thompson, one from my great grandfather and one from Tesla. Not the inventor. The band. Then the words, "Rock and Roll"

The crowd hollered like it was a concert.

Then, the coolest moment of the day. A 17-year old man (one of last years' grads) gave a short, heartfelt speech about turning his back on bad influences and not letting other people define you.

Dude was maybe five-two and a buck-ten at the most.

He looked a little nervous at first, but as he fell into the rhythym of the words he wrote, his voice gained strength and timbre. He exhorted the grads to use their newfound accomplishment as a foundation to build better lives on. It was fifty times better than any valedictorian speech I've ever heard at any High School graduation I've ever been to. It was awesome to see.

And you know how damn overdone the standing ovation is these days? It seems to have lost meaning.

I'm tellin' ya, man. When that man said "Thank you" at the end of his speech, the entire theater leapt to our feet spontaneoualy is a rare, genuine show of appreciation. It was a very natural thing to do.

He looked surprised at first, then as the realization that this was his true, shining moment sank in, his face just split into a huge grin. He never before realized what a gift his voice is.

What a great way to spend a Saturday.

Congrats on getting your GED.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

final achievement.

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. [:)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    I was asked to give the keynote speech at the G.E.D. graduation this afternoon. ... What a great way to spend a Saturday.

If you think comments like this make you look like a wit, you're half right. [;)]
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    I won't even read this one... The G.E.D is nothing compaired to a High school diploma....GED stands for DO NOT HIRE QUITTERS.. THEY DID NOT FINISH, THEY ARE SO WRONG FOR SAYING, BUT ITS EQUIVALENT TO THE OVER ACHIVERS OR GRADS THAT HAVE A PIECE OF PAPER.

It is a fact that those with a GED ones are more likely to go to prison over someone with a diploma.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    I won't even read this one... The G.E.D is nothing compaired to a High school diploma....GED stands for DO NOT HIRE QUITTERS.. THEY DID NOT FINISH, THEY ARE SO WRONG FOR SAYING, BUT ITS EQUIVALENT TO THE OVER ACHIVERS OR GRADS THAT HAVE A PIECE OF PAPER.

It is a fact that those with a GED ones are more likely to go to prison over someone with a diploma.

Well, son-of-a-*!!! I wish you had told me that forty-eight years ago. I could have saved my $10.00 and two days of testing. Now I have that piece of paper from Guilford College, Greensboro Campus and you tell me it ain't worth poop. What a rip off.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Humans are social animals, but there's a great teachable moment here. maybe if you remind her that there was something about the ordinary school experience that didn't appeal to her, so she took the extraordinary step of doing it her own way.

That was the crux of my speech, but I wish I had a copy of that young man's speech today. It would be much more inspiring than mine, because he was her peer. She might relate to him better than me. Just remind her tht she didn't let anybody label her and she's doing things her own way and, even though there are some things she missed out on, it's because she's further ahead than kids her age. We all lament the pasing of our youth.

And it may not be too late to find a way to really celebrate her acheivement.

quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

Plink, that is true; but it reminds me of a saying my best friend lives his life by every day:

"You don't stop having fun because you get old; you get old because you stop having fun."

Life is what we make of it. If you stay young at heart, then you will always be young, no matter what age you reach. Everyone should try to find a little bit of the innocence of their own youth and incorporate it into their adult lives. It makes life a lot more enjoyable when you can find something fun to do in the most mundane of days.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I won't can't even read this one...

Sigh. How our public schools are letting us down.....

Hey troll- get back under your bridge. There was a billy goat looking for you.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    That's great.

Last year, Mike was asked to give the commencement address at our local school for "troubled" kids, where he attended as a "troubled" youth himself. He's one of their success stories. Anyways, that was the crux of his address, don't let the hand you were dealt define who you are for the rest of your life, making choices, and our responsibility to show others we can do better than others' do to us.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe ceremonies are crucial to the human experience. They clearly define the periods in our lives and mark the transitions from one stage to the next. I think Western culture has erred by moving away from the rituals that for thousands of years helped people... particularly young people... define themselves and celebrate their accomplishments.

I only attended two of the five graduation ceremonies I was entitled to participate in and I regret not going to more of them. As a full-time faculty member I am required to attend graduation each year (next Wednesday I get to put on the funny dress and hat, see photo) and I enjoy seeing the excited graduates and the even more excited family members. Some faculty members disapprove of the hooting and hollering that sometimes occurs during the proceedings but I say let them have their fun and express their joy.

I would love the opportunity to give a commencement address. Maybe some day I will be asked to speak. Hey, it could happen.

How can any of my students be intimidated by this guy?

standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    Some people have a "normal" childhood and are handed the opportunity to start their adult life with an education. Some people don't and aren't.

I have respect for anyone who does the best they can with what they have and most respect for anyone who doesn't accept a lack of opportunity and makes their own.

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who thinks they are somehow better than the rest of us because they were handed more opportunities.
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    Sounds like great day. [^]

In my "Treasure Box", one of my more cherished objects is a copy of a G.E.D. diploma that an employee of mine mailed to me years after she left my employ. Attached was a note thanking me for encouraging her to go back to school. She said I had a lot to do with building her courage to attempt it. Few things in life are as satisfying as being able to help others in small ways.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Some people have a "normal" childhood and are handed the opportunity to start their adult life with an education. Some people don't and aren't.

I have respect for anyone who does the best they can with what they have and most respect for anyone who doesn't accept a lack of opportunity and makes their own.

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who thinks they are somehow better than the rest of us because they were handed more opportunities.

I had to delete my reply to penetraitor after I read your first post, James.

Your gentle humor was far more eloquent than my angry jabbering.

Well played.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mom got her G.E.D. at age 58. She was the oldest in the class. Her comments afterwards were remarkable. Said she always wanted to graduate from HS. but it really didn't matter afterall it is only a piece of paper and isn't any smarter today than yesterday. Funny how society has dictated ones importance by paper. Common sense has not prevailed.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1

"The scars you acquire by exercising courage
    will never make you fell inferior."

D.A. Batista
    edited November -1

"The scars you acquire by exercising courage
    will never make you fell inferior."

D.A. Batista

Interesting.

The quote could apply to both the graduates who so inspired me and to penetraitor.

It did take courage to display such wanton ignorance and bigotry.

Whatever else, I'll say that he spoke his mind.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't even read this one... The G.E.D is nothing compaired to a High school diploma.....

Says the guy that can't spell his own screen name correctly...
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be interested in seeing the "fact" that shows GED recipients are more likely to go to prison than those with diplomas. Put up some references to support this statement, please.
    edited November -1
    Nice story Colonel. Somewhat uplifting to hear about people grabbing themselves by their bootstraps and working toward "betterment".[:)]
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My grand father had left high school to join the Navy during WW2, he started working in a bank as a young boy doing scut work, the bank bought him his first pair of long pants when he grew up and became a teller, WW2 came along and like so many other young men he joined the service, he never graduated high school, he killed a japanese soldier when he was on an island in the pacific, he did this with a k-bar he carried. after the war he went back to the bank and worked there for the rest of his adult life, when he was to be named bank president, the Kingston trust found out he had no high school diploma, so before he could take the position he took the GED, and passed with a 265 score. he was the bank president for years and years. he played the stock market successfully, had a new Buick Electra every year, and always did right for his family. I had to drop out of high school in the begining of my senior year, I did the New York Proposile..."Your WHAT" so began my life into adulthood, baby on the way had to get a full time job with benefits, babies ain't cheap. I worked hard my whole life, I always got the hard jobs while the big boys stood around and watched me work. I learned how to weld and did that most of my life. in 1990 work seemed to dry up and I was unemployed so I went back to school, took a TIG welding course and the GED program, I aced the pre-test, took the real test and got a 269, by then my grampa was gone, but my mom and sisters were proud of me for doing it, and I gotta say I was proud of myself for doing it. work picked up and it was fun filling out work applications saying yup got my GED. I have never gone to prison or any real jail time to speak of, I retired in '02 I have a large family, a paid for home, 3 motorcycles in the garage, a pretty nice gun collection in the boat that sank, NOT BAD for a high school drop out with a GED.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a professor who had a PHD in physics, a PHD in Math, and a G.E.D. because he had originally dropped out of high school.

very cool guy.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Feels even better to go from GED to true Diploma. Then a College Degree.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Got mine in the 60s. Picked up a few degrees since then, but never had a high school diploma- until 4 years ago. Virginia grants a very nice diploma to vets that left school to enter military service.

I did not know this...do you know how you go about converting it. I dropped out (was taking advanced placement classes at the time) and got my GED two weeks later to join the Army. This was in VA. I'd be interested to know how I can go about getting mine converted to a regular diploma.
  • flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Ignorance on parade!
    edited November -1

Well, son-of-a-*!!! I wish you had told me that forty-eight years ago. I could have saved my $10.00 and two days of testing. Now I have that piece of paper from Guilford College, Greensboro Campus and you tell me it ain't worth poop. What a rip off.

Yep...folks like us, and 11br who dropped out to serve our country in combat are "just quitters"...and worthless pieces of whatever. That's funny...two weeks prior to getting my GED, I was an honor roll student who was taking AP classes (college level courses in high school)...Oh well, he's still welcome for my service.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    I would be interested in seeing the "fact" that shows GED recipients are more likely to go to prison than those with diplomas. Put up some references to support this statement, please.

Well, maybe if you added in all the people who are already in prison and working toward a G.E.D. you'll see a significant number.

But even they are doing something constructive.
    edited November -1
    A cowboy walked into a hotel in Abilene to get a room for the night. The clerk handed him a pen and asked him to sign the register. The cowboy hesitated for a few seconds and made one side of his X. Than after another short hesitation he made the other side of his X. Then he stood there looking like he was in deep thought for a minute and drew a circle around his X.

The clerk said to the cowboy, "I've seen a lot of cowboys come in here and sign the register with an X. You're the only one I've ever seen draw a circle around it. If you don't mind my asking, why the circle?"

The cowboy said "Well, you know how it is when you visit the big city. Sometimes it's best not to give your right name."
    edited November -1
    I was asked to give the keynote speech at the G.E.D. graduation this afternoon. ... What a great way to spend a Saturday.

If you think comments like this make you look like a wit, you're half right. [;)]

Um...ok. I guess congratulating a person on getting a GED is a bad thing...so let me rephrase it.

You wasted your time on getting your GED. Go back to sweeping floors.
    edited November -1

Opportunity is what you make of it. My mother did not, and still does not read or write English. She can speak it, and read and write Russian and a couple other "squigley" languages, so I did not have all the opportunitys that many had. Dad speaks 3 languages, but English is not his native tongue.

I graduated, and went to college and graduated with 2 degrees, and have done some real interesting things since then. I believe childhood opportunity does not mean that folks cannot excel.

Of course my brothers did nothing, and have amounted to the same.
    edited November -1
    Um...ok. I guess congratulating a person on getting a GED is a bad thing...so let me rephrase it.

You wasted your time on getting your GED. Go back to sweeping floors.

I see your reading comprehension hasn't improved any. Colonel Plink didn't get his GED. Colonel Plink was the keynote speaker at the graduation.

Now go back to telling us about your degrees in European history. [;)]