In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

G.E.D. Graduation Today

2»

Comments

• JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hay Colonel, betcha didn't know you could stir up this much hate and discontent with such an uplifting post, didya.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been quite a few GED success stories on here and quite a few reasons for folks quitting school.

I'm not knocking the GED or anything but why would there be a "graduation ceremony" for getting one?

To me, that's like having a graduation for getting the question on "Final Jeopardy" correct.

Btw, after I failed my senior year in HS, my recruiter wanted me to get my GED and ship out (I was already in the Delayed Entry Program) but I said no and went another year of HS and GRADUATED. Best decision I ever made.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    There have been quite a few GED success stories on here and quite a few reasons for folks quitting school.

I'm not knocking the GED or anything but why would there be a "graduation ceremony" for getting one?

To me, that's like having a graduation for getting the question on "Final Jeopardy" correct.

Btw, after I failed my senior year in HS, my recruiter wanted me to get my GED and ship out (I was already in the Delayed Entry Program) but I said no and went another year of HS and GRADUATED. Best decision I ever made.

Same reason for a GED graduation ceremony as any other graduation ceremony. When I went through boot camp we even had a graduation ceremony when that was completed. Simply a ceremony to mark the completion of a qualification. Back before my time, when going to high school wasn't the norm, they had graduation ceremonies from grammar school, then the more financially well off went on to "secondary school" (high school).

If a person has the choice and the wherewithal, graduating from high school and going on to college is the preferred way to do it. Some people don't have the choice.
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G.E.D Graduation Ceremony?
    I feel ripped off,I just went Down Town and took the test and Passed,I received My Certificate about a Week later in the Mail.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Celebrate life's little accomplishments
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    This is all I got and it was without ceremony. I think a ceremony would have been nice. I might try to get one of those "suitable for framing" certificates form Virginia that 11b6r mentioned.

Redacted.jpg
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    Um...ok. I guess congratulating a person on getting a GED is a bad thing...so let me rephrase it.

You wasted your time on getting your GED. Go back to sweeping floors.

I see your reading comprehension hasn't improved any. Colonel Plink didn't get his GED. Colonel Plink was the keynote speaker at the graduation.

Now go back to telling us about your degrees in European history. [;)]

No need. Like trying to explain finance to one of my kids.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Hay Colonel, betcha didn't know you could stir up this much hate and discontent with such an uplifting post, didya.

Considering who's doing the belittling, it's not much of a surprise.

And, because my expectations of them are already so low, it's not much of a disappointment, either.

Arrogance and ignorance can both come wrapped in a fancy (alleged) sheepskin.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

Considering who's doing the belittling, it's not much of a surprise.

And, because my expectations of them are already so low, it's not much of a disappointment, either.

Arrogance and ignorance can both come wrapped in a fancy (alleged) sheepskin.

I ever tell you about the time my safe was struck by lightening with 5 lbs of magnesium inside of it?
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Colonel Plink, congratulations, to the recipients, and on your speech.

Speaking of having a pair, not many can get up in front of a group of strangers and speak. That takes some doing

And to be thought of enough to be asked to speak, speaks .........volumes!

I lift my drink, in a toast to you, good Sir.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    I won't even read this one... The G.E.D is nothing compaired to a High school diploma.....

Says the guy that can't spell his own screen name correctly...
    ....in addition to the screwups regularly contained in the body of his posts.

Incorrect spelling and grammatical errors in a post that derides others because they didn't finish high school like he did - that's priceless. [:D]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Young people look up to you, Andy.

You have raised another notch in my book.

[^]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeffie- way to go. The best revenge in life is living well- sounds like you have managed that.
    Colonel- congrats to you. Have seen a dozen different reasons why folks go for the GED, ranging from family finances to youngster living in a shelter. You gave them something they will remember- a valuable gift. Ya done good.
    ECC- link for ya: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/adulted/veterans/

For the rude comments that I have made- I should know better

For the rude comments made by others- as Rhett Butler said to Scarlett.....
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Damn,

Y'all gonna make me have to run out and buy a new hat!

Much more of this and my old ones won't fit.

Truthfully, the post was supposed to be about a courageous and eloquent youn man who turned his back on mediocrity and bad decisions. He will undoubtedly be the one that others will look up to one day. It's him that I toast.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

[:I]
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't even read this one... The G.E.D is nothing compaired to a High school diploma....GED stands for DO NOT HIRE QUITTERS.. THEY DID NOT FINISH, THEY ARE SO WRONG FOR SAYING, BUT ITS EQUIVALENT TO THE OVER ACHIVERS OR GRADS THAT HAVE A PIECE OF PAPER.

It is a fact that those with a GED ones are more likely to go to prison over someone with a diploma.

BULLSCHIT, GRADE A, 100% PURE.

Some of the most intelligent folks I've met never received a high school diploma. You see, pen, there are different types of knowledge. I know some folks who have 'paper' knowledge, but could not pour piss from a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

There's an old fellow I know that got as far as 8th grade, but armed with a set or wrenches and screwdrivers, he can fix damn near anything, and makes quite a good living doing it.

My grandmother did well with her 7th grade education. Raised two kids on her own (grandpa died at age 42), and taught her grandkids more than they could ever learn sitting in a classroom.
    edited November -1
    I went to college with many OTA students that had GED's. Hung out with them because I too was an OTA student. All the GED guys were the top college students. I am not sure if that was because they were GED people or OTA students.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Does the army take people with a g.e.d. now, or do they still require a h.s. diploma?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    I won't even read this one... The G.E.D is nothing compaired to a High school diploma....GED stands for DO NOT HIRE QUITTERS.. THEY DID NOT FINISH, THEY ARE SO WRONG FOR SAYING, BUT ITS EQUIVALENT TO THE OVER ACHIVERS OR GRADS THAT HAVE A PIECE OF PAPER.

It is a fact that those with a GED ones are more likely to go to prison over someone with a diploma.

BULLSCHIT, GRADE A, 100% PURE.

Some of the most intelligent folks I've met never received a high school diploma. You see, pen, there are different types of knowledge. I know some folks who have 'paper' knowledge, but could not pour piss from a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

There's an old fellow I know that got as far as 8th grade, but armed with a set or wrenches and screwdrivers, he can fix damn near anything, and makes quite a good living doing it.

My grandmother did well with her 7th grade education. Raised two kids on her own (grandpa died at age 42), and taught her grandkids more than they could ever learn sitting in a classroom.

+1

I work for a man (this is the first job I've had in 15+ years...always had a couple different businesses going) who is a MULTI-millionare and he's got an 8th grade education...his wife has even less. Life is about common sense and drive. One of the reasons I can work for this man is b/c he has a lot of both...and I respect him. I can think of MANY so called "educated" folks that I have very little respect for.
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder who swept survivalist's floor after the "SAFE FIRE"??????