In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    Its a pre-64 model 70 featherweight. Can't wait to take it out and shoot it. Thanks for all the good insight fellas

Those things are junk. Watch how you set it on the sand bags, the bottom metal is like a weathered coors light can. If you can't deal with having those type of problems, I would be willing to trade one of my prized Jennings chambered in 25ACP +P+P+. Let me know.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Its a pre-64 model 70 featherweight. Can't wait to take it out and shoot it. Thanks for all the good insight fellas

Those things are junk. Watch how you set it on the sand bags, the bottom metal is like a weathered coors light can. If you can't deal with having those type of problems, I would be willing to trade one of my prized Jennings chambered in 25ACP +P+P+. Let me know.

No need for green on that....it is dripping with sarcasm.[}:)][;)]
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard really good things about those Jennings. Friend of mine had one, he claimed it was minute-of-barn at 30 yds.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just scored a bolt action .243, never had one before.

Outstanding Cal. for your neck of the woods! You will not be disappointed.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I've heard really good things about those Jennings. Friend of mine had one, he claimed it was minute-of-barn at 30 yds.

RobOz's is acuratized.
    Narrow side of the barn, at twice the distance.

those +p+p+p+ will drop a feral cat in it's tracks if you're close enough.

Trade up, sez I. Trade up.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike Noah, who apparently uses 500 grain bullets, I use which ever the given rifle likes best. Usually takes several boxes of ammo to figure it out.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure my sister rolled a 400 pound black bear out of a tree using a 243 and 100 gr bullets
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    I'm pretty sure my sister rolled a 400 pound black bear out of a tree using a 243 and 100 gr bullets

I know my Mom (back in the 50's) Rolled one with her .250 Sav. Mod. 99 in that ball park weight.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my son last year with 2 deer he harvested with 1 100gr bullet at 160 lasered yards.

went through the shoulder of the first one and the neck of the one behind it[8D]

101_0361.jpg
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I killed a moose on the Matanuska river in Alaska with a pre 64 model 70 featherweight, still have it. I was stationed at Ft Richardson, before I went to Viet Nam, and it was the only rifle I had up there. Thought I would borrow one when I got to camp. The guide had an old Winchester 94 in 25-35, said he'd been killing moose for 30 years with that old gun. I decided to stay with my 243, ended up killing a nice bull DRT with one shot in the ear at about 45 yards. Given a choice, I would have used some thing bigger, but the 243 did a fine job.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My preference is for the .25" bore, but to answer your question, my favorite all-around bullet for the 243 is the Nosler 95 grain Partition.