In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Revamping my BOB--AND Bugging In Photos

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Suggestions welcome. May not finish this evening, but I am losing some weight in the pack. Suggestions???????????/

http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1696204/1/

Comments

• hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot Sauce and ketchup.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hooch31L
    Hot Sauce and ketchup.

Both are messy, break open easily and make a mess if opened in the pack. I am somewhat of a chef, and Ketchup is not allowed in my home.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sooo tired I can't think! Maybe Sugar? Just a little for trading in case you run into me out in the woods [:D]

I can't remember what BOB stands for.....or who Rusty Shakleford is.....my brain is mush.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I am sooo tired I can't think! Maybe Sugar? Just a little for trading in case you run into me out in the woods [:D]

I can't remember what BOB stands for.....or who Rusty Shakleford is.....my brain is mush.

BOB = Bug Out Bag
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

BOB = Bug Out Bag

Just finished up. Added new photos and explanations.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    SonDave (Dave_W) has started to build a kit.

I'll be interested to see how he equips it.

I'm still configuring my 3 (or 4) levels of kit.

Really enjoying the challenge.

Doug
  • Sven61611Sven61611 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1) Ketchup is the nectar of the Gods!

2) Help a newbie out here -- why does one need a bug out bag?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sven61611

Zombies man!!

Just kidding. I would assume the folks in New Orleans would have really liked to have one...you think? Or what about the folks in CA in the event of a bad earthquake? Folks in New York City after 911. Folks in Miami after a hurricane? Washington if Mt Rainer blows? Boston if there is a real bad Tsunami like they are predicting? Sacremento when they run out money and the welfare scum demands their free gub-ment check? Buffalo NY if the gub-ment runs out of bucks and they get a real bad 8 day lake effects snow? Texas if the MS13 gang goes on the warpath?

Watts Riots
    N.O. Hurricane
    Mississippi Floods

I just think it is prudent.
    edited November -1
    Good points, thank you. Guess I've just led a sheltered life here in central Illinois. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Remove all canned meats and replace with jerky and soft packaged tuna.

Do a calorie/composition count of what you do have, and replace unnecessary salt and prepartion foods like Ramein.

Look hard at the first aid kit. Most are pretty pointless.

Insect repellent ?

A small container of sunblock for the desert and three people ?

Hope it is the P75 stuff.

Small Katadyn ceramic water filter.

I would add three space blankets and three large leaf bags.

Why do I need a water filter? Water from the windmills is potable, most folks run it straight into their homes. I drink untreated well water every day. Nearest ground water is 90 miles away. Why do I need insect repellent? Scorpions are not repelled. This is not a swamp. I have maybe seen 3 mosquitos out here in 2 years. I have 2 space blankets in the stock of the AK and the inside of the back backs are lined with heavy mill leaf and lawn bags.

Sunblock is SPF 50. In the desert, you get where you are going fast, then travel at night avoiding the 115 degree temps. My wife is a medical person and said the kit has what is needed. She added a small suiture kit to the mix, and the tylenol.

Ramen noodles can be eaten without prep. Jerkey is a waste. All it does is increase the need for water. This area is much different then what you are used to. 3 miles and I am in the deep desert.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Some folks like to keep a bag or backpack loaded with a few emergency use items in case of natural or manmade disaster where they might have to live without assistance for a few days. As the Boy Scouts would say, "Be Prepared".

Having a B-O-B is a good idea, but it's easy to get carried away and it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

In my opinion the most valuable thing is education and training and the ability to think. It doesn't have to be formal training.

A case in point is a TV show I saw a week or so ago about surviving off the land in Alaska. A group of people hadn't had anything to eat for about three days so one of them went bear hunting to get some supper. They decided to hunt around a field of blueberries since a bear might be attracted to them. It never occurred to them to eat the blueberries.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    I do not think I went over board. You should have seen what I had it the bags before I got rid of a bunch of stuff. Like my Shotgun News collection, and DVD of Red Dawn, among other treasures. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Good points, thank you. Guess I've just led a sheltered life here in central Illinois. [:D]

Floods there in Illinois, and I would be concerned about welfare riots. Illinois has a high welfare rate I believe.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent you an email.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1

Floods there in Illinois, and I would be concerned about welfare riots. Illinois has a high welfare rate I believe.

Central Illinois has as many or more Meth cooks as it does welfare collectors..... and they are the ones I was worried about when I lived there [xx(]
    edited November -1
    True, to some degree. The flooding in central Illinois usually effects farmland. But if I did live in a small, riverfront community I guess I would see the benefit of a BOB if my house was in a flood plain. I don't know how people can continue to live in an area that floods 2-3 times a year, but that's me. The difference here would be that if your home flooded, you'd simply cross the street and stay with friends till the water recedes and you can clean up the mess...again. Not like you'd need a survival pack. But again, I see the value...just never had need of one around this area.

Welfare riots around here? I don't know. But I do know we need to get a CCW law passed here! Local paper reported four armed robberies last night in Peoria. I think they would have had a much different outcome if the citizens were carrying. We really need to lean on our politicians over here and * 'r done!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19

Central Illinois has as many or more Meth cooks as it does welfare collectors..... and they are the ones I was worried about when I lived there [xx(]

All the more reason to be prepared. Got em out here too. The cooks themselves usually aren't the dangerous ones...its the Outlaw Biker groups who protect them that are.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peanut Butter.....I didn't see it in your pack. Being a mother of three I just cannot imagine if you didn't have peanut butter. The actual peanuts aren't as filling and a big jar goes a LONG way.

Rusty Shakleford.....I know that name from somewhere....but where? A movie?
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    Peanut Butter.....I didn't see it in your pack. Being a mother of three I just cannot imagine if you didn't have peanut butter. The actual peanuts aren't as filling and a big jar goes a LONG way.

I would rather not give away my true identity. Many here would know of me.
    edited November -1

Peanut butter + 115 degree weather + limited water = a real big mess.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

Do a calorie/composition count of what you do have, and replace unnecessary salt and prepartion foods like Ramein.

Insect repellent ?

Why do I need a water filter? Water from the windmills is potable, most folks run it straight into their homes. I drink untreated well water every day. Nearest ground water is 90 miles away. Why do I need insect repellent? Scorpions are not repelled. This is not a swamp. I have maybe seen 3 mosquitos out here in 2 years. I have 2 space blankets in the stock of the AK and the inside of the back backs are lined with heavy mill leaf and lawn bags.

Sunblock is SPF 50. In the desert, you get where you are going fast, then travel at night avoiding the 115 degree temps. My wife is a medical person and said the kit has what is needed. She added a small suiture kit to the mix, and the tylenol.

Ramen noodles can be eaten without prep. Jerkey is a waste. All it does is increase the need for water. This area is much different then what you are used to. 3 miles and I am in the deep desert.

If your "medical person wife" said you had everything you needed, why are you soliciting opinions.?.?
    edited November -1
    True, to some degree. The flooding in central Illinois usually effects farmland. But if I did live in a small, riverfront community I guess I would see the benefit of a BOB if my house was in a flood plain. I don't know how people can continue to live in an area that floods 2-3 times a year, but that's me. The difference here would be that if your home flooded, you'd simply cross the street and stay with friends till the water recedes and you can clean up the mess...again. Not like you'd need a survival pack. But again, I see the value...just never had need of one around this area.

Welfare riots around here? I don't know. But I do know we need to get a CCW law passed here! Local paper reported four armed robberies last night in Peoria. I think they would have had a much different outcome if the citizens were carrying. We really need to lean on our politicians over here and * 'r done!

To me a BOB is like life insurance, Health Insurance, and Litigation insurance. I hope I never need any of it, but I have it in case. (Well, we all eventually need the life insurance, unless you are the Messiah B.O.)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Insect repellent ?

If your "medical person wife" said you had everything you needed, why are you soliciting opinions.?.?

For the medical stuff...DUH. Opinions solicited on other stuff.
    edited November -1

Do a calorie/composition count of what you do have, and replace unnecessary salt and prepartion foods like Ramen.

Insect repellent ?

Why do I need a water filter? Water from the windmills is potable, most folks run it straight into their homes. I drink untreated well water every day. Nearest ground water is 90 miles away.

If you plan on only drinking pure well water, then fine. Last time I checked well water is ground water.

Diarrhea from bad water is the fastest way for everyone to dehydrate.

Why do I need insect repellent? Scorpions are not repelled. This is not a swamp. I have maybe seen 3 mosquitos out here in 2 years.

If there are no ticks, fleas, or mosquitos, then fine.

I have 2 space blankets in the stock of the AK and the inside of the back backs are lined with heavy mill leaf and lawn bags.

I wouldn't want you to neutralize the purpose of them in the packs through use for other purposes. Insulation in and out of clothing, carrying, shade, water collection, etc. hard to get lighter or more flexible items. Other than some duct tape or paracord.

Pack something stronger than Tylenol, as well.

Ramen noodles can be eaten without prep.

Not the Ramen that I buy.

Jerkey is a waste.

Given the weight efficiency, utility in cooking and portability, if you think it to be a waste then OK. To me, packing canned spam is a waste.

All it does is increase the need for water.

All it does ? Without a doubt you will need water. I would not buy the saltiest stuff I could find. I think it has a pretty good track record across the world in all sorts of cultures for a couple of thousand years. Do a nutritional comparison with the same weight canned corn beef. But to each his own.

This area is much different then what you are used to. 3 miles and I am in the deep desert.

No doubt. But water, calories, protein, and shelter are the same type of needs everywhere, the question is providing them in the most efficient means possible. I have simply suggested what I think are the most efficient means.

I am a rather argumentative sort aren't I? I will add some Jerkey. What would I need other the tylenol? I have some perscription crap a DR gave me..Codeine and Morphine. Never took the junk. Stuff puts me out for days on end.
    edited November -1
    Whatever your doctor will write a script for. Hope yours is a friend.

Lortab, codiene, MS contin.

The only reason that I suggest some of these items is that there are a few things that can happen that will end the story right then and there, and packing lesser means to deal with them is a waste of time. Getting hurt is one of those things.

Pack what you have, in the original containers, if nothing else. Doesn't sound that bad. Add a bottle of gorrillacillin as well.

Whats gorrillacillin? I assume with the latin "cillin" it is an antibiotic.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read a lot about BOB's here. There are a few of those writing that seem to think that if/when the SHTF, they are going to grab their BOB, quickly drive to a forest where they will magically transform to either Rambo or Tarzan. I know that sounds good. I have my fantasy's also. I guess I'm old enough that I know my limitations. The best reply on BOB's is on this post from JamesRK. It is simply be prepared. Perhaps the best question about being prepared is this. You can not leave your house for 2 weeks. What do you need to take care of everyone in your house?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I've read a lot about BOB's here. There are a few of those writing that seem to think that if/when the SHTF, they are going to grab their BOB, quickly drive to a forest where they will magically transform to either Rambo or Tarzan. I know that sounds good. I have my fantasy's also. I guess I'm old enough that I know my limitations. The best reply on BOB's is on this post from JamesRK. It is simply be prepared. Perhaps the best question about being prepared is this. You can not leave your house for 2 weeks. What do you need to take care of everyone in your house?

That is one of the first pictumentaries I did at the other site. It is called a Bug In plan. Here is what I have and I will try to explain it to you as best I can.

About 4 months worth of food, not counting refrigerator items.
    012.jpg

This is hard to see, but are little day packs of food that are vac sealed and are in a different location in the house. I figured I could help out the neighbors if needed.
    014.jpg

This is long term Shelf stable milk. Good for 1 year. It is more of a luxury, as I like my coffee 1/2 and 1/2 with milk. Also the neighbor has 3 daughters who have 7 kids among them, and the fathers all dumped them over there. I figure milk would help them out if needed. I try to think of my fellow man.
    I have 14 of these.
    016.jpg

A secondary fridge with water and drinks. It is hard to see, but there are 5 gallon jugs of water in the back, and smaller bottles up front. The Diet Coke is for the wife, kid and the little neighbor hood rug rats that beg a drink every so often. I guess it is better then sugared drinks, but I do not drink it.

013.jpg

Cryvac meats, mostly pork. I have a second freezer full. If it gets bad I will take it out, open it, fillet it out and hang it up to dry out out.
    017-1.jpg

75 gallons of water for flushing the loo, and washing with. It is camoflauged in plain sight. The water is heavy with plants and fish to keep it fresh should the power take a puke.
    015.jpg

A garden that I always keep producing. As soon as something is done, I plant something else. It is illegal to use "grey" water on the lawn and garden...I guess I am a criminal.

018.jpg

I also have 20 gallons of gasoline stored with Sta-bill and rotate it out through my lawnmower. I have some real nice solar lights that I modified. I can remove the panels and leave them outside, but bring the lights inside. The are left outside and look just like they did when I bought them at the store.

Defensive stuff around the house. Backup battery for laptop/aircard. Emergency crank radio. Backup emergency power supply for a cell phone, 50 lbs of dog food for the rabbit hunter. And just lots of stuff stored around that could be usefull. I also never let the laundry get piled up. Sounds dumb, but clean cloths can make a crappy situation bearable. And I use the grey water from the washing machine to water the place.

I also have at least 50 rolls of TP stored. I try to pack a little extra stuff to help out the decent folks in the neighborhood.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have it covered.

As far as heading for the woods and becoming rambo...not the idea.

We'll head for the woods and move into the base camp/redoubt, which is being built at the moment.

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Sounds like you have it covered.

As far as heading for the woods and becoming rambo...not the idea.

We'll head for the woods and move into the base camp/redoubt, which is being built at the moment.

Doug

Nearest "Woods" to me are about 400 miles...give or take.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Zombies man!!

Just kidding. I would assume the folks in New Orleans would have really liked to have one...you think? Or what about the folks in CA in the event of a bad earthquake? Folks in New York City after 911. Folks in Miami after a hurricane? Washington if Mt Rainer blows?

I can tell you right now what will happen if Mt. Rainier blows without warning--if you live in the lowland valley between Enumclaw and Seattle you have less than 30 minutes to get to high ground before a 50' to 100' tall wall of melted ice, boulders, & mud comes speeding down the valley. With the way our highway system is set up & the large population the roads will be so clogged that most of those folks will be swept away. I live on one of the bigger hills although that doesn't mean Im totally safe either because of the ash or hot gasses could do damage to your lungs. I just bought a nice Combat Field Pack at a yardsale that I'm going to fill with MRE's, water, first aid kit, TP, a couple of small blankets etc--plenty of room left for some ammo[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41

Zombies man!!

Just kidding. I would assume the folks in New Orleans would have really liked to have one...you think? Or what about the folks in CA in the event of a bad earthquake? Folks in New York City after 911. Folks in Miami after a hurricane? Washington if Mt Rainer blows?

I can tell you right now what will happen if Mt. Rainier blows without warning--if you live in the lowland valley between Enumclaw and Seattle you have less than 30 minutes to get to high ground before a 50' to 100' tall wall of melted ice, boulders, & mud comes speeding down the valley. With the way our highway system is set up & the large population the roads will be so clogged that most of those folks will be swept away. I live on one of the bigger hills although that doesn't mean Im totally safe either because of the ash or hot gasses could do damage to your lungs. I just bought a nice Combat Field Pack at a yardsale that I'm going to fill with MRE's, water, first aid kit, TP, a couple of small blankets etc--plenty of room left for some ammo[:D]

Thats all I am saying. Just be prepared for any sort of problems that may arise.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I'd loose the chicken salad, vienna suasages, honey and canned milk and pack more protien/energy bars, tuna, ramen noodles and vodka! LOTS more vodka!!
    If I'm facing the end of the world, I ain't doing it sober!
    I think one of those high tech water filters is a good idea. in case the basturds use biological weapons!
    I have well water too, but if i have to drink from a strange well i'd like to be able to filter it.
    just my 2c
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    I'd loose the chicken salad, vienna suasages, honey and canned milk and pack more protien/energy bars, tuna, ramen noodles and vodka! LOTS more vodka!!
    If I'm facing the end of the world, I ain't doing it sober!
    I think one of those high tech water filters is a good idea. in case the basturds use biological weapons!
    I have well water too, but if i have to drink from a strange well i'd like to be able to filter it.
    just my 2c
    tom

Why lose Vienna Sausage, and replace it with Tuna? The Vodka I figured would be more of an all around antiseptic.

Who says I will be sober? I may stay drunk as a survival mechanism!11![:D]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    learn how to make pemmican.... Never tried it myself but from what I hear its the mac daddy of survival food..
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about that? I would like to hear more.
    edited November -1

The only reason that I suggest some of these items is that there are a few things that can happen that will end the story right then and there, and packing lesser means to deal with them is a waste of time. Getting hurt is one of those things.

Pack what you have, in the original containers, if nothing else. Doesn't sound that bad. Add a bottle of gorrillacillin as well.

A broad spectrum antibiotic chosen to kill the gorrillas of pathogens out there, where ever you are, or the situations likely to be faced.

Something handly for anthrax, cholera, plague...that sort of thing.

Amoxicillin handy for other things.....tetracycline, or erythromycin, flagyl, there are a host of things to think about. Can't carry everything, but that is no reason to not carry anything.

...like this stuff is readily available to the average joe...and what about shelf life.?.?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crash2usaf
    learn how to make pemmican.... Never tried it myself but from what I hear its the mac daddy of survival food..

...care to share?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

A broad spectrum antibiotic chosen to kill the gorrillas of pathogens out there, where ever you are, or the situations likely to be faced.

Something handly for anthrax, cholera, plague...that sort of thing.

Amoxicillin handy for other things.....tetracycline, or erythromycin, flagyl, there are a host of things to think about. Can't carry everything, but that is no reason to not carry anything.

...like this stuff is readily available to the average joe...and what about shelf life.?.?

Gorrillacillin is just a joking term. Keflex, V Cillin, Bactrim, tetracycline, erythromycin et al are common and relatively cheap. DO NOT OBTAIN OR TAKE ANYTHING without the advice of a physician. I am neither a physician, nor pretend to be one. This is a theoretical discussion only of posssible nice things that could be of possible benefit in an emergency situation.

Mexico, Canada, veterinarians, your family physician either by samples or rx.

Shelf life multiple years. As I said, hope your physican is friendly, you don't have to have everything, it is only a suggestion.

At the risk of igniting an inferno, I would also suggest the pneumococcal vaccine, good protection against one of the most common causes of bacterial pneumonmia.

Females in the group add another dimension for care.

Got some cipro. I am good on that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crash2usaf

I know how...but chokecherries are hard to come by in the desert.