In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garage Sale Finds? Only GUN related please!

dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
I know....gun discussion on GUN broker....am I way off (not sure which way...left or right).

Anybody find any good deals lately? I passed on a French MAS for $125 today...because I did not know what they went for.

I picked up a scale, 200 rounds of 9mm, Butler Creek 25 round clip for my 10/22, and Remington's Top Shot interactive shooting game (25 cents).

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know this is not going to happen. Don
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    I passed on a French MAS for $125 today...because I did not know what they went for.

That's about 1/3 the going price, given condition. You could have resold it for enough to pay for your other items and then some.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I found a Cobra cb radio for 5 bucks last week.It is an LTD 29 and works good.
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    this was not one of my garage finds, but it is mine now.
    a friend found a stevens 22 single shot in very poor condition a woman said it belonged to her late husband and that she didnt even know if it shot, and that if he wanted it he could have it for 5 bucks.
    later his son got in some trouble with the law and under parole or something he was not allowed to live with guns so dad had to get read of his guns and the stevens went to me. i cleaned it up oiled it and even tho the stock has a small crack in it it is my faithful companion while squirreling, i think the count on that rifle is 26 of the tasty critters in skillet.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have'nt found any guns at yardsales. Found some ammo, holsters, knives, scopes and the like at sales before, but nothing spectactular.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a bunch of old targets and skeet clays from the 50's. thats about it.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stole a pre-war Winchester Model 21 at a garage sale once. Well, it wasn't exactly a garage sale; some guy was cleaning one in his garage and went inside just as I happened by.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I have it back,please?
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I always ask the folks running the yard sale if they have any hunting or fishing stuff to sell that might not be on display, like guns, ammo, etc. Sometimes there will be finds. One time a woman said she had a box of gun parts that had belonged to her late husband. The box had 4 old marble tang sights, several black powder reloading tools and parts from an 1890 Winchester, including a stock which cleaned up nicely. The tough part is always making an offer on stuff like this since the seller usually has no clue as to value. This lady said $20 would be good enough
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I got an Enfield #5 carbine last summer for $160 and a Stevens 22/410 for $150.I haven`t been out any sales yet this year.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my sister found an ruger mkIII stanless with 4 clips and a case for 150 in mint condition.
  • Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nicest finds are.
    1943 M1 Garand- $375 w/36 clips,bayonet,Hatchers book,another book, original barrel(.308 conversion),sling-all in excellent as new condition. Back when they were $700.
    JC Higgins bolt action .22 mag w/120 rounds of ammo- excellent cond. $12
    New Haven (Mossberg)600 20ga pump ,vent rib, barely used- $30
    $1600 worth of reloading stuff for $350
    and it goes on and on.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found these at a flea market a while back.

$10.00

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 SLC's.

The wife was poking me in the ribs the whole time,saying,"You could've gotten them for $8.00."

100_1522.jpg
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911, nice thong you found. Local garage sale or out of towner?
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    shes from sweden....here illegally but she does lap dances for 8 bucks so we don't tell anyone[:D]
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, I have not been to enough garage sales to find anything gun related, but can you legally buy a gun at a garage sale if you and the seller have neither an FFL or a C and R?
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    I know....gun discussion on GUN broker....am I way off (not sure which way...left or right).

Anybody find any good deals lately? I passed on a French MAS for $125 today...because I did not know what they went for.

I picked up a scale, 200 rounds of 9mm, Butler Creek 25 round clip for my 10/22, and Remington's Top Shot interactive shooting game (25 cents).
    Not a great gun but a lot of fun. I was on my way to a Tulsa gunshow to setup on a Friday when I saw a sale I stopped and they had an RG 38 special that had exploded. The top strap was gone the cylinder peeled back and the barrel leaned down about 20 degrees below level. The internal parts and the grips were the only thing left usable. I paid 5.00 for it to strip the internals . I went on to the show and set up. I noticed an old friend who sold remanufactured ammo (who shall remain nameless) was there as well. So i got some Ace bandages and wrapped up my hand and got over to my friends booth. Whereupon I started to get beligerant and ask him what the hell he sold me all the while waving this potmetal paperweight under his nose and shaking my bandaged right hand at him. Too say he went white as a sheet is to put it mildly. The look on his face as he pictured the dollars being sucked out of his wallet was ghastly. I could not hold the line and broke out laughing and told him the real deal and it was like a weight lifted off his shoulders.We still jike about it. He has yet to get me back So I'm still waiting.

P.S. Guys you may use this joke yourself as long as you pay me a royalty of .005 of any money collected if the terrified victim starts throwing it at you[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DieHard4
    Okay, I have not been to enough garage sales to find anything gun related, but can you legally buy a gun at a garage sale if you and the seller have neither an FFL or a C and R?

if you are not restricted from owning a firearm and are of legal age to posses the firearm in question a personal sale is not restricted by federal law. you should consult local laws as to permissable firearms or further restrictions
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    Denise-02.jpg

Where is she hiding her garage sale gun related find?
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL! That was a great gag.
    Dean

quote:Originally posted by wipala

Not a great gun but a lot of fun. I was on my way to a Tulsa gunshow to setup on a Friday when I saw a sale I stopped and they had an RG 38 special that had exploded. The top strap was gone the cylinder peeled back and the barrel leaned down about 20 degrees below level. The internal parts and the grips were the only thing left usable. I paid 5.00 for it to strip the internals . I went on to the show and set up. I noticed an old friend who sold remanufactured ammo (who shall remain nameless) was there as well. So i got some Ace bandages and wrapped up my hand and got over to my friends booth. Whereupon I started to get beligerant and ask him what the hell he sold me all the while waving this potmetal paperweight under his nose and shaking my bandaged right hand at him. Too say he went white as a sheet is to put it mildly. The look on his face as he pictured the dollars being sucked out of his wallet was ghastly. I could not hold the line and broke out laughing and told him the real deal and it was like a weight lifted off his shoulders.We still jike about it. He has yet to get me back So I'm still waiting.
  • Options
    the_punisher_the_punisher_ Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought a matched set of .50 caliber desert eagles with a case and extra mags at a garage sale about 6 months ago . the woman i bought them from told me that she was getting rid of her ex-husbands junk and the guns just happened to be with it . i asked how much she wanted for them and she told me 350 dollars was fair enough . i think i got a pretty good deal considering that desert eagles cost 1200 bucks brand new.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an old weaver fixed 10X scope for $5. It works too.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ten bucks for a Wagner paint gun.
    [^]barto[^]
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , Years ago I found a S&W model 1917 45 military in apx. 98% @ a yard sale for $100 , also bought a bunch of shot-gun shells and hunting type stuff @ the same sale for a couple of bucks ???? Just lately I bought a "large" gun safe for $150......not to bad .....
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Broom Handle Mauser C96 for $22.00. Was missing the firing pin and the rifling is rough.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DieHard4
    can you legally buy a gun at a garage sale if you and the seller have neither an FFL or a C and R?
    Like scottm21166 said, check your local laws. Some states are still free enough to buy and sell guns, without having to REGISTER them for future confiscation, some are not.

I'm "almost" surprised when, at some garage sales, I ask about them having any firearms for sale, they ask me, "Is that legal?" Which then turns into an educational discussion about the law. MANY people have been brainwashed, or are uneducated, when it comes to guns and the law.

As for the topic of this thread, I have been out pickenup a few lately. Have 4--22 rifles in the "Gunsmithing school" now, found them over the last few weeks. IF they can fix them, there may be another giveaway for kids.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my $10 special i picked upf5539a76.jpg
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    Denise-02.jpg

Where is she hiding her garage sale gun related find?

well she had two .38 very specials in the front, when she bent over she had a over and under muzzle loader