In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Had a little accident last night !

vinco91vinco91 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was up helping my mom do yard work with my wife yesterday,20 miles north. We had dinner and it was getting late. I had the cruise set at 55 minding my own business when an oncoming Toyota p/u crossed the center lane, I tried to get out of the way and almost had a head-on. It sucks, my Suburban was almost paid off. I think it is totaled, I'll find out tomorrow. What really sucks is I just put a new $350.00 fuel pump in it Monday. It happened about 11:00 last night. I managed to roll to the shoulder, The guys p/u ended up in the ditch up against some trees. My wife and I were fine, the other driver ran into the woods and the police went looking but couldn't find him. Too bad they didn't have a police dog.
100_2970.jpg
100_2974.jpg
This is the other guys junk
100_2971.jpg

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    My dads a TV repairman...he has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it. (quick...name the movie)
  • vinco91vinco91 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I told the officer that was the hard way to change the tires[:)]
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Easy for me to say, but, atleast you and your wife are OK. obviously this could have been tragic. Someone's looking out for you!
    edited November -1
    I didn't even realize it had a side airbag, I guess it worked..
    edited November -1
    It might be the light, the door panel is right up to the seat and dash, I feel good today not sore at all
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    My dads a TV repairman...he has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it. (quick...name the movie)

The Big Lebowski.

Nope
  • aaron burraaron burr Member Posts: 9
    edited November -1

Fast Times At Ridgemont High !!

-- Jeff Spicoli
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vinco91
    I was up helping my mom do yard work with my wife yesterday,20 miles north. We had dinner and it was getting late. I had the cruise set at 55 minding my own business when an oncoming Toyota p/u crossed the center lane, I tried to get out of the way and almost had a head-on. It sucks, my Suburban was almost paid off. I think it is totaled, I'll find out tomorrow. What really sucks is I just put a new $350.00 fuel pump in it Monday. It happened about 11:00 last night. I managed to roll to the shoulder, The guys p/u ended up in the ditch up against some trees. My wife and I were fine, the other driver ran into the woods and the police went looking but couldn't find him. Too bad they didn't have a police dog.
    100_2970.jpg
    100_2974.jpg
    This is the other guys junk
    100_2971.jpg

Bro, I learned long ago, a pickup is just a tool, it is there to work for you. Y'all walked away, your insurance will pay for your truck and the punk that was in the other vehicle will be caught.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aaron burr

Fast Times At Ridgemont High !!

-- Jeff Spicoli

Ding Ding Ding...
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm glad to hear you are OK...sounds like a very close call!
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    truck can be replaced you can't. glad you and wife are ok
    edited November -1
    I think if I was a foot to the left the guy might have not been running in the woods. The paramedic was impressed on my control of my car after we collided. Must have been my few years of dirt track racing. He all were lucky though
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Fast times!
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you could buff that out.[;)]

Glad you and yours are ok. It's amazing how fast stuff like that happens.
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good that you are ok, did they ever find the f..er??
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    any luck finding the driver yet? prints should be all over the truck with blood hair and so on..

was it a mexicant?

glad to hear you are OK, that dirt track experience saved your *.....
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was close! Do NOT let your insurance company talk you into getting that fixed without a WRITTEN warranty on repairs![;)]
    I went to school for auto-body repair in '81. Decided that was NOT my line of work. I DID graduate, and I have the diploma to show for it. I am by no means an expert. That said, some will tell you, "..anything can be fixed..." BULL-HOCKEY, as Sherman Potter would put it.
    If it were mine, I'd run from that one and be glad your o.k.!
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If any tree hugger gives you a hard time about drivinig a suburban, just show them those pictures. Aren't you glad that you weren't in some little econo-box?
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you and the wife are okay!
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you and your wife are okay. the Suburan can be replaced hope they catch the guy
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I'll take a wag at it and say it's probably totaled. With that kind of damage to the front suspension, it'll probably never line up right again.

A friend of mine's daughter's car was totaled in a wreck 2 weeks after he'd put a new set of tires on it. When he went to settle on the car, he asked for the price of the tires on top of what they were giving him for the car. He got it.

Take your $350 receipt with you. After you agree on a price for the truck throw the receipt at them.

+1 on being in a big vehicle!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She's good dude,...unfortunately for you. I aprked my 01' inside a building trying to avoid a deer a 8yrs back. 1693miles on it[V] but they fixed it just fine. You seem to have a few doors toasted, a fender, and some other stuff,....but a new roof strut and some sheet metal gets her back on the road. The hood doesn't look bent at all,...so no major crumple zones were compromised.

I am on my 4th suburban,....I absolutely love them. Payed off the 03' Z71 suburban last year, same color as your's. They are one tuff * truck.
    edited November -1
    PS,..let me know what the insurance company says,..I have 2 of those rims in the shed. Might save you some cash[;)]
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    She's good dude,...unfortunately for you. I aprked my 01' inside a building trying to avoid a deer a 8yrs back. 1693miles on it[V] but they fixed it just fine. You seem to have a few doors toasted, a fender, and some other stuff,....but a new roof strut and some sheet metal gets her back on the road. The hood doesn't look bent at all,...so no major crumple zones were compromised.

I am on my 4th suburban,....I absolutely love them. Payed off the 03' Z71 suburban last year, same color as your's. They are one tuff * truck.
    "...so no major crumple zones were compromised."
    I'd want to look at the floor pans VERY closely before deciding that!
    The undercarriage has taken a SERIOUS hit here.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,866 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you and your wife are ok.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Almost paid off!! thats the problem. My Camaro SS paid off 2 months and a tree gets it. My Tahoe 6 months from payoff it gets killed. Just do the right and get a new loan then spend it all on guns
    edited November -1
    I think the front diff is toast. The wheel took quite a blow. The officer just called to check up on us, I thought that was cool. He said they didn't get the guy yet, but they know who he is. Come to find out he works for the same construction company my neighbor works for. I think he'll get his. If I hit someone that hard I'd be worried about the others involved. I hope they total it, the post the hindges "were" mounted on is pushed to the dash and the front undercarrige is smashed, the diff exploded fluid everywhere. But what happens happens. Thanks for all you're thoughts
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be glad you are still alive to actually be able to worry about the truck. :)

Glad y'all still around.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    vinco91
    Starting Member

24 Posts
    Posted - 05/17/2009 : 6:44:58 PM

I think if I was a foot to the left the guy might have not been running in the woods. The paramedic was impressed on my control of my car after we collided. Must have been my few years of dirt track racing. He all were lucky though
    ===================================================================

Ain't nothing like seat time on a dirt track to teach car control. I get out in the back field on the dirt oval every chance I get just to kill time and burn gas. Neighbors hate it when the wind gets to blowing but it's a I don't bother them and they don't bother me type rule out here in the country.[8D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I'm really glad that you guys were uninjured.

Looks like the truck managed the impact forces away from you, while giving its' life.

That's how it's supposed to be.

A win for vinco91 !!

Doug
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    That will BUFF OUT! seriously that is all outer panel damage and some suspention work. Easy fix
    edited November -1
    yep, mine looked worse than that cause my hood was up to the windshield. I knocked a portion of the building clean off the foundation[:0] a few outer panels, some rims, a few suspension parts and voila she was perfect.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you guys were not hurt.

I'm going to guess that the insurance company will try very hard to total it, since the gas spike of last year the blue book on large SUV's has plummeted so it would be cheaper for them to cut a check at the lower values. You should fight them tooth and nail to get a rebuild.

I love large SUV's, I need 4x4 in the winter and with a family of six it's required. In addition I would rather have my family protected by three tons of metal over a POS econo box any day.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    I have been cut out of two vehicles with subsequent trips to the ER, and lemme tell you if your walking your happy!!! After being on the fire department I appreciate the crumple zones... The cars even big ones look like they been used for artillery practice when you pull up, then you realize you need to find the people who were in the vehicles because they moved off into the crowd of onlookers... I prefer that task to the older cars that are generally more intact after impact and have bodies inside..
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    If you get an adjuster that tries to tell you that isn't totaled you need to find a new insurance company.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187
    If you get an adjuster that tries to tell you that isn't totaled you need to find a new insurance company.
    agreed. I would never want to trust my family to a vehicle that had been involved in a impact like that. So what if they give you a depreciated value for it, you should be able to pick another unmolested model for the same price as they would ALL have to have depreciated.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Crapping your pants is a "little accident". Having your truck totaled in a near head on is IMO more serious than that.
    Unless of course one leads to the other.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Glad you walked away from that. Any injuries? Umm, I'd say the rig is totalled.
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vinco, Glad you and the wife are ok, hope the cops find the azzholeo that did this.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    pull the fuel pump out and take it back[8D]

glad that you were able to walk a way from that.

if it is fixed they are never the same...........