In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I blew up a Glock...flame away if you will--UPDATE

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in General Discussion
UPDATE 3-1: My Glock will be home Friday!

UPDATE 2-15: Glock called today to confirm that the frame is junk, but the slide is fine. They are putting a new SF frame on for me at a cost $105 with tax. Underwood ageed to cover that. Glock also confirmed that the gun didn't fire out of battery and the primer strike was near perfect.

In short, Underwood Ammo ordered me a new barrel and is sending me replacement ammo, on top of the frame replacement. They have really been a pleasure to deal with given the circumstances. I have talked with them 4 times now and we have even discussed other stuff pertaining to other guns and ammo. Justin is a good guy who knows what he's talking about.

UPDATE: I dropped my pistol off at a local FFL to have shipped out. Glock isn't sending me a shipping label, so I do have to pay shipping up front. I am hoping that gets reimbursed by Glock, or more than likely, Underwood Ammo. It should ship out tomorrow.

UPDATE 2: I spoke with a sales lady from EFK Fire Dragon. She took all the information including the names of the Tech guys from Glock and Underwood Ammo, that I spoke to. I also sent all the pictures into them. Now we have a 3-headed attack working on this thing.

Yep, I done did it. I blew up my Glock 30SF. I have contacted Glock and the ammo company. They both seem to be in agreement with the information and pictures I sent, that it seems to be a ammunition issue. It most likely was a overcharged round. It blew straight out the bottom of the case, breaking the polymer near my trigger finger, breaking the trigger off in 2 pieces, breaking the slide stop lever right off, putting cracks down both sides of the grip, and cracking the magazine in multiple spots.

I will report more of the details after results are found. I am shipping the pistol to Glock, per their request, and should know more after that. I have already been guaranteed a replacement, weather Glock or the ammo company covers it.

Personally, I am just extremely fortunate that I was wearing gloves and sun glasses. Had it been summer, I may not have had the gloves on. I suffered no injuries that have surfaced at this time. I can tell you that my right index finger, down to the tip of my right thumb, as well as my left thumb, felt like they were almost frost-bitten and then smacked between 2 bricks. I was extremely scared, adrenalin running.....when and for about 20 minutes after the incident. Here are some pictures.

IMG_20170127_123146976_zpseuhg81sq_edit_1485575350512_zpsytdtdl8v.jpg

IMG_20170127_123208680_zpszcude6is.jpg

IMG_20170127_123110133_zpsolylwi9w.jpg

IMG_20170127_122826903_zpsyvem1lze.jpg

IMG_20170127_115259714_zpsevgrtmkm.jpg

Jon

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    What ammo?

Underwood Ammunition 10mm 200 Gr. XTP. It was purchased 2-3 years ago in bulk by myself. Myself, my dad, my uncle, and my cousin have all fired some of it through 4 different Glock 10mm guns.

It is some hot stuff, but the fact that we had fired it in other Glock 10mm pistols, along with the fact I had fired over 100 rounds of lower pressure 10mm the past few days.....and the fact that this round was the very 1st round of this ammo I tried firing through this 10mm barrel, seems to point towards the ammo. In particular, one bad round. I am just fortunate that I was the one firing the pistol and not a friend or my wife.

We did have a slight problem with a few cases that were fired in one of the other 10mm's that we were not aware of until now. We had inspected the 1st few cases fired from each gun, but obviously not all of them. My dad had a full box of 50 1x fired brass of these same 200 gr. XTP's and when we examined them, we found 3 cases that had small marks on the brass. They were small cracks or indentations that appeared in what looks to be the same places where this one blew out in my pistol.

I know that Underwood Ammo has since changed their nickel plated 10mm brass and am wondering if this has something to do with the change?

Jon
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go to Google Maps and type in Underwood Ammo, Bottom Road, Sparta, IL you can see the Underwood Ammo factory.

Underwood Ammo's "brand new facility" as they call it on their website is a garage behind somebody's house. Looks like some reloader decided he would go into business selling ammo.

I wouldn't shoot that junk anymore than I would some stranger's reloads.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in the market once for a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. Till I read on the Underwood site they did not recommend shooting their ammo in that gun or a Glock. Unsupported chambers. However now when I look on the site it does not have that warning. My guess.. they detuned the ammo. I have some Underwood older super hot 9mm +P+ that is 100 fps faster than anything they have advertised now. My bet they dropped the FPS.. charge of your ammo to avoid placing a warning on the box. Even so .. the charge was right on the edge and took out your gun. Shooting hot stuff is always a risk. Sort of a test load the factory does for the gun. Here is a link of an discussion

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=524807
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fairly typical for a Glock kb. I bet your shell casing looked like the below. Over pressured rounds tend to blow out in this fashion due to Glocks partially unsupported chamber.

Glockfailure6_zpsffe9a061.jpg

The ammo company took responsibility for this one too.

Glock006_zps97f85174.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    What ammo?

Underwood Ammunition 10mm 200 Gr. XTP. It was purchased 2-3 years ago in bulk by myself. Myself, my dad, my uncle, and my cousin have all fired some of it through 4 different Glock 10mm guns.

It is some hot stuff, but the fact that we had fired it in other Glock 10mm pistols, along with the fact I had fired over 100 rounds of lower pressure 10mm the past few days.....and the fact that this round was the very 1st round of this ammo I tried firing through this 10mm barrel, seems to point towards the ammo. In particular, one bad round. I am just fortunate that I was the one firing the pistol and not a friend or my wife.

We did have a slight problem with a few cases that were fired in one of the other 10mm's that we were not aware of until now. We had inspected the 1st few cases fired from each gun, but obviously not all of them. My dad had a full box of 50 1x fired brass of these same 200 gr. XTP's and when we examined them, we found 3 cases that had small marks on the brass. They were small cracks or indentations that appeared in what looks to be the same places where this one blew out in my pistol.

I know that Underwood Ammo has since changed their nickel plated 10mm brass and am wondering if this has something to do with the change?

Jon

No warning on box. It was on their website.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you are OK.
    Guns can be replaced, fingers and eyes, not so much.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad your ok, a buddy had it happen a few years ago{his double charged reloads} they had him a new gun back in a week and a half

funny glock catches flak for having an unsupported chamber, but S&W, sig, Beretta,CZ, colt, springfield, H&K, ruger, kel-tec all get a pass on the issue
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No flame form here, just darn glad you are okay!
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Glad you were not seriously hurt Brother.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad you escaped serious injury.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Not necessarily an over pressure from too much/wrong powder,,,,,

Here's an example of 'bullet setback' causing an over pressure situation.

Exactly, that is believed to have occurred in the photos I presents. The QC for that lot of ammunition was terrible. they had improper case lengths, flared cases and bullets that were improperly seated.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Glad your OK , Ive seen this movie ( blown gun : not a Glock ) , its never fun !!!

Good luck with this ordeal ,,,,,

Get a Good Attorney !!!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And another glad your ok.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    The Glock Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW6OhDRWuIo

that guy is a complete idiot
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only real important thing is that you were not seriously injured. Anything else is secondary.

That was a major failure. Many years ago I had some 44 Special factory ammo that was too hot for some reason and was splitting cases. I sent them back and received a replacement box.

I guess from now on not only will I advise against shooting another's reloads I will caution against shooting factory ammo as well.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    The Glock Smile

Wasn't that a complete annoying presentation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    The Glock Smile

Wasn't that a complete annoying presentation.

completely annoying, the misinformation was scary , i dont want to hijack sigs thread, but he was wrong from beginning to end
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you are ok. You had a Glocknade, I would ask Glock to send you a Beretta[8D]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CoolhandLuke
    Glad you are ok. You had a Glocknade, I would ask Glock to send you a Beretta[8D]

they even have less of a supported chamber, would not have helped any

y5u5evah.jpg
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danielgage
    glad your OK

makes me want to shoot or own a Glock never [V]
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you are ok 10mm is alot of pressure
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st round through a new barrel?

Did you mike the bore? Are you sure it's not a mis-stamped 9mm barrel?

Neal
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77

IMG_20170127_115259714_zpsevgrtmkm.jpg

Looks like you came out of this unpleasant experience without any major injuries. Congratulations. Other might not have been so fortunate.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    listen to forgemonkey I have been reloading 45acp for over 45 years 30 + years over 10,000 rounds a year had two kaboom's
    both from one of the first times I loaded Nosler 185 grain hollow point on once fired REM UMC once fired cases with V.V. 310 powder I thought the first failure was a powder over load Did no damage to pistol except the grips blew off hand turned black and magazine destroyed . I got home and put the rest of this ammo away tried this ammo again years later and second failure with same results I have been told I am a slow learner :-0came home and decided to pull those high price bullets . I normally load swaged lead bullets That I size and lube to .452 diameter spec.first tap of puller the bullet jumped out the case
    WTH . Long story short Nosler bullets only .451 but also case wall thickness .004 thinner than all others I had used for many years results in bullet loaded with taper crimp in these REM UMC cases just barely held the bullet in the case I could push them with light pressure until the slid back in case and bullet touched the powder resulting in high pressure lesson learned take your ammo that you have left from this reloader "try for same head stamp as blown case this ammo you have and check to see if you can push the bullet down into the case with just moderate pressure
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was older Underwood ammo. Their website had a warning on it NOT to use in certain pistols. Glock was included. New website doesn't mention the warning. I wonder if the warning was on the boxes of ammo
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you're not seriously injured. Now get a 1911. [:D]
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you came out of that ok. I had a 22 Magnum rifle kB for no apparent reason and it made me a little gunny for a while.

When it happens it surprises the hell out of you to say the least.

Sounds like you did the right thing.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    I'm glad you're not seriously injured. Now get a 1911. [:D]

may not have made any difference

big_supp-not_supp.jpg

st_lesbaerhicap_200902-a2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have witnessed 4 kabooms, two 1911's two glocks

the first 1911 was a double charge happened during the Indiana state match, blew the grips off cutting his hands, as well as the magazine blew out the bottom, gun was none functioning

second 1911 was a squib load followed by a live round, during a match, turning the barrel into a foot ball locking up the gun, as well as ruining the grips and magazine, kimber did not warranty

two glocks, both double charged, same results as jon , both received new guns from glock, as i stated above one got his back in a week and a half , the other i did not know

your results may vary
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh heck, I'm selling my Glocks now!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,606 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad your Ok and thanks for posting all the photos and the story
    its scary to think what could have happened ,
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******
    edited November -1
    holy cow,,,sorry about the blow up. Very glad you are O.K.. [:0][:0][:0][:0]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danielgage
    glad your OK
    +2
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you are OK. The second video about the Lone Wolf barrel was interesting.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    The partially unsupported cartridge is a necessary characteristic of the modern semi-auto pistol. Shooters demanded higher performance from the ammo makers. Ammo makers developed hotter and hotter rounds. And then, there are folks who re-use cases over and over. If a case ruptures, whether due to high pressure or a weakened case, that gas has to go somewhere, usually into the magazine well.

I have seen case ruptures in steel and aluminum framed guns. When that happened, we sometimes had to put the trigger drawbar back on, but I didn't see any serious damage. Not so with a Glock. Get a case rupture in a Glock, and the plastic frame will break.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safety first. Good to always wear safty eyes ears and now gloves. Why, cause things happen...
    "What is truth?'