In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you think I'd be crazy to do this.?.?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was considering installing a flag pole in front of our business to fly the American flag on it, but I'd like to fly a "Don't tread on me" flag below the American flag.

Do you folks (especially LEO's) think I'd be attracting a significant amount of unwarranted attention if I did this? ...especially considering that my business is a gun business?

Thanks!

Comments

• NRA MemberNRA Member Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can not imagine why seems reasonable
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I'd be MORE likely to check in!
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I think that you would probably attract the crowd that you want.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fly what you want, that don't tread on me flag has a great history in Texas, I think it would be a great way to educate folks. Would somebody take it? They might, maybe you could take them down everyday?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by txlawdog
    Fly what you want, that don't tread on me flag has a great history in Texas, I think it would be a great way to educate folks. Would somebody take it? They might, maybe you could take them down everyday?

I was more concerned about making more of a target for myself than I already have. That DHS report and all...
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Do what you want. It's your business, and your flagpole.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would say do it, start coming up with an answer for the people who dont know anything about it that are bound to ask when they come in. might help to educate some more people. good idea[:)]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    John Hancock signed his name BIG...
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    I don' see any problems with that. Why be worried about DHS anyway.... I'm sure you and the others in this forum are already on their list so to hell with them. Fly old Glory with the don't tread on me" flags. I would think just flying an American flag would be enough to tick off the communist liberals.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all the stuff you post on here, do you really think a little flag is gonna make that much of a difference?[:)]
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    It is amazing to me that anyone would worry about any flag that I fly (as long as it is not vulgar). But they do not worry that our leaders waste billions of our tax money on stupid stuff every day. Or are trying to gain more and more control of the public's every move.

But I guess ol' neighbor Joe flying a certain flag is more destructive to this country huh?
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with cameron.

You'll be attracting the right crowd.
  • SuaspontaSuasponta Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some history about the Gadsden flag.

Benjamin Franklin. In 1751, he made the first reference to the rattlesnake in a satirical commentary published in his Pennsylvania Gazette. It had been the policy of Britain to send convicted criminals to America, and Franklin suggested that they thank the British by sending rattlesnakes to England.

Benjamin Franklin published an essay in the Pennsylvania Journal under the pseudonym American Guesser in which he suggested that the rattlesnake was a good symbol for the American spirit:

I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids-She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.-She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.-As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shewn and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:-Conscious of this, she never wounds till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.-Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?

However, this flag is looked upon as secessionist symbol now, or being anti-government. I personally have flown this flag or the navy jack from my flagpole for years inlue of old glory as a silent protest against federal government intrusion and tyrannical powers. I suspect that the Federal Government isn't keeping tabs on what flag folks fly however, It could put you on the BATF radar seeing how you are a firearms dealer.

I'm also a proponent of decriminalization of marijuana but, I wouldn't fly a flag with a big pot leaf on it. Seeing how that would be certain to suspect.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has one, but then again, I live in Oklahoma.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Ecc, your already on their list as with most all of us, you have the right to fly both flags. In the mean time it could generate more business also. Your not breaking the law, so go for it![:D]quote:Originally posted by screwobama
    I don' see any problems with that. Why be worried about DHS anyway.... I'm sure you and the others in this forum are already on their list so to hell with them. Fly old Glory with the don't tread on me" flags. I would think just flying an American flag would be enough to tick off the communist liberals.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fly it.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    I know the current administration would approve of the Hammer and Sickle, but not the Gadsen flag.

All the more reason....

GO FOR IT[8D]
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    You may have to stand taller to get it up there.
    Can you?
    [;)]
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    Ole Glory, Tread and the Jolly Roger... hit em all Eric

LOL
  • JamesQuinnJamesQuinn Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I was considering installing a flag pole in front of our business to fly the American flag on it, but I'd like to fly a "Don't tread on me" flag below the American flag.

Do you folks (especially LEO's) think I'd be attracting a significant amount of unwarranted attention if I did this? ...especially considering that my business is a gun business?

Thanks!

No problem as long as the American flag is on top. "Don't tread on me" is a nice one.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,869 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Let 'er rip Eric! Heck if I was driving through a town, say Clarkfork, and I happened to see a gun store flying a Don't Tread On Me, I would swing right on in!![:D]
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fly it with pride.

If scum can fly mex flag-- you can fly yours with you head held high.
    edited November -1
    All flags are symbolic of some sort of believe, be it political or religious. Say, you fly a Nazi Swastika, folks will know were you stand philosophically and politically.

Some folks fly flags of different countries that they have some affiliation or love for, however think that it is ironic that some folks will fly another's countries flag only, inlue of the country they reside in. Could be sending a couple of messages like either I'm proud of this heritage but usually is taken as liking or preferring a country other then the one they live and work in. If that is the case then you have to wonder why? but, people become very emotional about flags and symbolism.

Flying the Gadsden flag is sending a message. It is associated with anti-government secessionist movements, you should be able to state your reason for flying it. Hell, some might just think it looks cool. However, it is sending a silent message indeed.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i fly the southern battle flag 24/7 and i could care less who don't like it[;)][:D]
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...??? Eric, your kidding right? I have a Gladsen Flag and FLY it along with Old Glory & the Marine Flag.

List, smisht...as I have said before, sometimes it's a GOOD thing to be on a list! IF there IS a list for Patriotic Gun Totin', Constitution LOVING Americans, and the list don't have any names on it, WE are in MORE trouble than I thought!

...Screw them, and their list! I don't do bumper stickers but I'm getting a "Don't Tread On Me" Gladsen Flag sticker for the truck...IF there is a list and I'm on it, makes me PROUD that "they" FEAR me enough to have me on a list..."they" are welcome to move my name to the TOP...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    And I'm sure folks know were you stand politically and otherwise because of the symbolism. Or is it just your pride of heritage, or just think it's cool?

The proverbial quote, "let's run it up the flag pole and see who salutes." is so true.

Folks see the symbol and either agree with its symbolism or not.
    edited November -1
    I'm going to go ahead and do it...I'm probably already on every list there is.

Suasponta...The reason I'd fly it is b/c I believe in what it stands for...and I believe in our Constitution above and beyond anything and everything under God Almighty.

The first step is going to be getting a flag pole erected.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It expresses to the public that you have a flag pole and your not afraid to use it.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Suasponta...The reason I'd fly it is b/c I believe in what it stands for...and I believe in our Constitution above and beyond anything and everything under God Almighty.

Check with your buddies at city hall. Setback, fall zone, foundation engineering, height. BTDT.

Clouder..
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Do it!!!

[img][/img]GadsdenFlag.gif
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:I'm going to go ahead and do it...I'm probably already on every list there is.

...We can only hope!...[^]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    Then, ECC, you have answered your own question. You are not crazy. As I said earlier it's the only flag I've flown for years however, I'm currently flying the first navy jack, which is similar, same statement. And have been thinking about the next one being the Texas "come and take it" but a assault rifle were the cannon would be. That might be the next one I string up.

Still can't bring myself to fly the stars n stripes again, yet.

And, at least I believe, that flying them both would be a dicodimy.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder

Check with your buddies at city hall. Setback, fall zone, foundation engineering, height. BTDT.

Clouder..

Good point...I have a copy of the zoning ordinances...I'll have to read through them.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might be a Right Wing Extremist if .....[:D]
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Fly it! as fore mentioned, most don't know what it means so this is a great chance to educate. The ones that do know will be sure to stop in.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fact that you already SELL firearms & TALK about firearms on a firearm message board I would hardly think twice what the DHS thinks about you or what list you are on cuz you and I both are more than likely already on it. DHS couldn't deliver H2O to New Orleans, I'm hardly worried about them knowing what I'm up to. In fact I'd love to them to know that Americans are about to stick a big middle finger in the air for them to look at next[;)]
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    The last few months the Gadsen Flag is what's on my flagpole in my front yard. Along with the Confederate First Flag, CSA Battle Flag, Bonnie Blue Flag, and Hardee Battle Flag as I'll change them now and again.

The neighbors must wonder what I'm up to?!!

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fly it. You might want to check and see what the US Navy (that bunch of Right Wing Extremists) has been doing. The Navy Jack- including the rattlesnake and motto- was ordered flown by all vessels of the US Navy. link: http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    to top it off, use a title 4 usc flag. not the square military flag most people have. the title four looks longer and has a smaller blue field.