In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would you eat beef hearts?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You never know what you are eating at restaurant and have you ever looked at their kitchen. Peking Duck, Steak and Kidney pie, the worst for me was the steak and Kidney pie in Toronto.I was raise in a little farm town many years ago and most of the food listed was standard fare for most farm familys.

A drive in close to where I use to work served Pig ears,snoots,and several sandwiches and the guys with suits would line up everyday to get some kind of snoot or ears and ate them as if that's the only thing there was to eat.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing went to waste on my grand folk's farm. I sat at the table and stared bug eyed at what seemed to be a hugh hog's head sitting right in the middle of it. It did not last long either.
    What's next?
  • Options
    0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you eat hotdogs or galareta(head cheese)[:)]
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Your favorite " lunchmeat" may very well have been made with all the leftover body parts that can't be sold as is.This used to include all organs,bone marrow,and small scraps that were cooked until things fell apart and stirred into something that thickened,and smelled terrible.Cooled and mixed with other items to flavor your lunchmeat.

Most likely still done the same today.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Beef hearts? Hell, I'd eat the heart (and liver) of a worthy opponent slain in battle.

[:p][:0]

Soak it in pineapple juice first.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    What about embryo duck hearts? In the Phillipines some folks would bury, typically, duck eggs in the sand for the incubation period to continue, and when the embryo is almost fully formed it is known as a Balut. Prior to eating one of these delicacies of which the heart has to be a big plus, first sip the egg's fluid from the egg's shell, and then add a touch of salt prior to nibbling away. I've been told these things stink beyond belief, but other than that, they are really good!

They smell like chicken soup and are quite tasty. Don't believe the crap about being buried in sand. They stay in the nest until ready to be boiled.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I'm not a fan of organ meat. No good reason for it....just a phobia, maybe. Don't know why, as a kid I ate a ton of liverwurst. At the supermarket deli, I know what brand of hard salami contains no hearts, etc. (Swift) I read the labels on sausage and cold cuts, and avoid anything that states organ meats, trimmings, fatty tissue, etc. Read the label on "Treat" (Spam's cheap cousin.) Guess I've never been starved enough.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Organ meat, just about any kind is tasty to me. I've eaten it all probably, but it tends to be high in fat and cholesterol if that's a concern.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something about tongue and brain (and testicles) that does not seem to appetizing but I eat the rest. Deer heart is really good!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    The heart and tongues good for you, I haven't been able to get the brain part done yet.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Beef heart stuffed is excellent...bake it in a slow over with or without gravy...oohhhhh yea tis good...

Tongue is great as well....makes a good sandwich the next day..

Steak and kidney pie is to die for if prepared right....