In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would you eat beef hearts?

MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
Yesterday I looked at the ingredients on a package of smoked sausage I purchased recently, and to my surprise saw that the third ingredient was beef hearts. [xx(]

I hate throwing food away, but the thought of beef hearts just set my stomach on edge. I had already eaten a few, and had noticed that they had a funny texture. I couldn't bring myself to eat any more... I just kept imagining a truck load of beef hearts being dumped into a grinder. Nasty.

Just curious. Would this dissuade you from eating them?

Comments

• Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heart, tongue, I've eaten them, but never liked either one.[V]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've eaten them, and not bad if you know how to cook it, which I don't, but I remember grandma did.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I routinely keep a couple of hearts from deer that I shoot. I like them sliced up and fried.

I have eaten caribou tounge in Norway and it was delicious.
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't bother me a bit.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like good catfish bait? [:D]
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Personally I love beef heart... sliced and fried it makes a fine sandwich But the absolute best use for it is to grind twice and make hot dog chili sauce out of it...............Yummy!!!
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MMMMMM Heart and tongue samidges.Heck my 9 year old daughter loves the stuff and thinks the kids at school that turn up their noses are just weird.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I almost forgot, I've eaten....well lets just say some bad tuna during a good night out. So what the heck, everything mentioned here has to be better than what I've eaten before.[xx(][:D]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    I almost forgot, I've eaten....well lets just say some bad tuna during a good night out. So what the heck, everything mentioned here has to be better than what I've eaten before.[xx(][:D]

[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][;)]
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Liver, heart, kidney, tongue, brain, my mother prepared them all and in our poor immigrant household of my childhood their low costs made a welcome addition to our diets. I still enjoy liver but I have not eaten the other organs in many years.
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunter Mag,
    Just because the tuna you "ate"[:p] smelled dead, doesn't mean it fits into the topic of things people have actually eaten[:D] Really, I like the taste of deer heart, a cows heart can't be much different.
    Earl
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure; tripe soup. Cambell's "Stockpot" and "Pepperpot".
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sothere
    MMMMMM Heart and tongue samidges.Heck my 9 year old daughter loves the stuff and thinks the kids at school that turn up their noses are just weird.
    X-ring right here!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meat is meat, hearts tongues and what ever is fine with me
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    Beef heart? No. Bull testicles? You bet! [:p]

http://www.testyfesty.com

Sorry man ya got that turned around! No Rocky Mountain Oysters![xx(]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cow brains, sweet breads[:D] and beef tongue with hot mustard on Rye![:p]
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I have eaten beef heart and it is good. I also like kishke (gut or blood sausage). Growing up in a ethnically Polish house and having a frugal grandmother, you eat some interesting meats.
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    Beef heart? No. Bull testicles? You bet! [:p]

http://www.testyfesty.com

Sorry man ya got that turned around! No Rocky Mountain Oysters![xx(]

You don't know what yoour missing! MMmmmm, pork or beef, I love them Mountain Oysters.
  • Options
    Msut77Msut77 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes for it's courage.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Msut77
    Yes for it's courage.
    The courage of a cow? HMMMMM.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    If you ever read what goes into "scrapple" you'll never eat it again. I do know - pig snouts for one, pig ears another - but I love the stuff pan fried with eggs over easy.
  • Options
    Msut77Msut77 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    Yes for it's courage.

Its rich delicious courage.
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heart, tounge, liver, testicles and brain fried up with eggs for breakfast!
    dont know what some folks get fussy about, they would probly starve on a farm!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sausage, hot-dogs, never know what's in either.
    I eat both. [:p]
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    If you ever read what goes into "scrapple" you'll never eat it again. I do know - pig snouts for one, pig ears another - but I love the stuff pan fried with eggs over easy.

Old timers called that "head cheese" [8D]

Allen
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would and I have and I will again. Beef, deer, elk and any other cloven hoof critter is ok. Tongue is also very good.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    emot-barf.gif

**BLUUURRRFFF**

all that stuff is in baloney. cow dorks, vagin-as, eyeballs, brains, ears, noses... suppose they're holding a cow * going "naah! we can't throw this in too! we can't! anything else but that! nope, can't do it! ...hell why not" (tosses it into the grinder)

emot-barf.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buschmaster, with that name I would guess you've had some "tuna" before.[:D]
    Thanks god for tooth brushes,mouth wash and antibiotics.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you betcha I have! I like that tuna... but when it's good, it's good, when it's bad, it's baaad. [xx(]

I was with this one chick in a motel and I thought I'd try out something I saw in a movie... aahh.. skip that part. anyways, I had a pop from Burger King. I found out it helps to take a sip every once in a while.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I rememebr the first time I rwad the ingreadents on a package of Pork Chorizo, it reads:
    Pork(salivary glands, lymph nodes, cheek meat)...
    I thought to my self "yuck" for about 10 seconds. Then the thought of "wow, I didn't know salivary glands and lymph nodes could taste so good[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I still wouldn't eat a beef heart even if somebody laid it between britney spears's thighs. yuk.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1

And, as they say, once you get past the smell, you've got it licked.
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck I have some bolonga now that made of beef and pork cheeks, tail, heart, chicken and oh yes the tounge. Its pretty good
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    edited November -1
    I am currently fasting for a colonoscopy tomorrow. I would eat a beef axxhole right about now.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...no, I'm not an "organ" type person. I ALWAYS check the label for "strange" things such as hearts, chicken peckers, "processed parts", on sauage and weenies and the like, avoid when possible.

...Was fed breakfast once, bacon, bisquits and eggs...eggs were a little darker yellow than the "norm"...just figured it was since 30 minutes earlier they had just popped out of the chickens butt and fresh egg yolks are a lot darker than those bought at the store...but oh nooo!

...after I got thru I was ask how I liked calf brains [:0]...they were fine, a little richer than eggs, but ok. I just choose not to eat organs for the most part. Now I do like calf fries, and calf liver...once in awile.

...No "yuck" factor to any of it, just not a big fan...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eaten it.

Its like a mediocre cut of beef.

(Like anything) tastes better grilled, and for what its worth, its better than some of those cheapo leather-like cuts.

Sure, I'd eat it again, but I'd rather have the sirloin!
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:

Would you eat beef hearts?

Would you breath beef farts?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    Yes for it's courage.

[:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mosin--Antelope, deer, and elk hearts are delicous. They are the treats of the kill like the liver from the deer and elk. Also bird hearts. My mom always cooked beef hearts when I was young and they were good too.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about embryo duck hearts? In the Phillipines some folks would bury, typically, duck eggs in the sand for the incubation period to continue, and when the embryo is almost fully formed it is known as a Balut. Prior to eating one of these delicacies of which the heart has to be a big plus, first sip the egg's fluid from the egg's shell, and then add a touch of salt prior to nibbling away. I've been told these things stink beyond belief, but other than that, they are really good!
    What's next?