In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you remember your first gun?

SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
My pop raised me thinking gun shops attracted the "wrong" clientele.

Anyway, when I finally ventured into a gunshop while visiting a hill town nestled in the Sierra Nevada mountains, the friendliness and camerade opened my eyes to a whole new life. Can't imagine any other way of thinking now, without self-protection, 2nd Amendment discussions, and increased political involvement.

So my first pick was a Browning Buckmark .22LR. Thousands of rounds downrange in a big sandpit or up in the hills. Me and the trees at 7,000 feet, the smell of pine, ozone, and acrid, burnt powder.

I don't get to shoot several times a week like I used to. If you can, count yourself lucky.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    [Do you remember your first gun?/quote]Yep, sure do.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    still have mine, winchester model 67 my grandfather gave me. I remember he told me he got it from the sears cataloge for $5. It is pretty beat up but still shoots good. he used it to shoot pigs for slaughter and got a lot of blood splatter on it, and I wasn't to nice to it when I was young. It is going to my grandson if he wants it, I have given it to my son and he know to pass it on if his nephew grows up and turns out good enough to earn it.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Yep, 514 Remington when I was 16. First shotgun was a Fox Model B 12 Gauge that I bought for $50 when I was 17 and I paid $5 a week till it was paid for. I still have the Fox. First pistol was a 1917 Colt 45acp revolver I bought when I was 18 for $35 with a holster.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep,

I still have it as a matter of fact and it rides around in the pickup with me all summer[:)]

A marlin model 25 bolt action 22lr, My parents bought it for me when I passed hunter safety around 22 years ago.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad's 'Western Auto' Marlin Model 60 22LR...

Learned to shoot it when I was about 9 years old...
    First time I went to Summer Camp...
    The bolt action singles they had, couldn't shoot the same way twice...
    So, from then on... That Marlin went to camp with me.
    It was at summer camp that I found I had a knack at shooting archery too.

So... When I turned 13... Dad asked me if I wanted a new rifle or a bow...
    I took a bow since I had "his" Marlin 60 'whenever'...
    Got good with a bow and better with that Marlin 60 until I hit 18...

Got a Savage 110 in 30-06 and started what would become a lifelong infatuation in guns... and hunting.

My younger brother now has Dad's Marlin 60... I bought me another one about 20 years ago.

One of THE BEST 22 LR guns out there... IMO of course.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enfield sporterised 303 purchased from Montgomery Wards cataloge with grass cutting money. I was 13. Mom made the actual purchase paperwork but it was MY 1st gun. family had a bunch of shotguns already all the gauges and 1 22lr but this was the only center fire high powered rifle in the house
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Yep,, Still got ''lt'' too [;)]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vividly. A Remington Model 581 bought new in 1967 from a local gun shop for the retail price of $49.95. Quickly found I hated the small 22 scopes and put 1" rings with a cheap Bushnell 4X.

Rifle was stolen in 1986. I bought another 581 a couple years later but of course it's not the same.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad gave me his Mossberg 22, that I still have and shoot.

mossy_zps4c4eed3e.jpg
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    marlin 80 when when i turned 12 for xmas from a family friend still have it
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, but define first?

-Daisy BB gun when I was 8. Still have it. I spent many hours shooting at a target in the basement with an old phone book backer. When the book started to come apart, dad let me burn it in the back yard on an old cookie sheet, then use a magnet to pick up the BBs and reuse.

-Marlin 880 bolt action, gift from Grandpa when I was 14. Still have it.

-Marlin 60 was the first I bought myself when I was 18. Still have it too, though I need to get a new lifter for it.

You know, I don't remember my first handgun. But I have the dates I bought everything written down, so could come up with it if needed.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First handgun S&W 1076. First long gun Mossberg Bullpup (not really long since she's a bullpup [:D]).

You know if Califonia never came up with banning guns that wouldn't be on the "drop test" I might've been gunless [:D]. So it's California's fault!!!
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wards Western Field 12 gauge shotgun. Dad bought it for me when I was 14. He never owned a shotgun and never could see what I saw in duck hunting. Yes I still have it and shoot it.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember? I still have them all:

Fabrique Nationale FN 1900 pistol
    Winchester Model 70 (in .270, built in the early 50s)
    Ithaca Model 37 Pump shotgun (in 20 gauge)

There's also a Remington Model 721 (also in .270), but the Winchester is my hunting rifle.

Oh, and just to make everyone jealous, they were all GIVEN to me by a little old widow who no longer had a use for them.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, and I still have it. Marlin Lil Buckaroo. Got it when I was 4. A little on the short side now, but it's still fun to shoot once in a while.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yup, still have it. 1967 sears and roebuck 22
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought my first gun in appox.1961 or 1962 from Moore's Sporting Goods in Napa Calif.A Winchester model 67.22 S.L.LR.bolt action.That rifle is about 3 feet away from me as I type.

XXXXXX
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I've posted it before, but here you go.

DSCN1461.jpg
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basic training doesn't count...so I guess my S&W Model 36 when I went on the job...now I have a whole bunch[:)]
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cleaned up my Dad's shop and office after school for enough money to buy my first gun, a Marlin Golden 39A "Mountie" in 1961. Still have it, and use it for varmints in the yard loaded with shorts. My grandson will receive it some day, and I hope he gets to shoot even half as many rounds as I have put through it.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still have the first gun I ever bought, but it wasn't my "first." That gun is a distant memory since I grew up with guns of friends and family since I was able to walk.

I fondly remember my first BB gun and the uncountable rounds I sent downrange with it.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first gun I ever shot was a Ruger MK I that was my Dad's....The first gun that was "mine" was a single shot JC Higgins 20 Ga. given to me by my Dad...the first new gun I ever had was the Winchester 190 I received for 8th grade graduation...the first gun I ever bought myself was an Ithaca 37.....

All of them are resting comfortably in my safe.....
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Voere 22LR single shot, it is back in Finland with my best friend.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First hand gun was a Ruger 9mm Post recall P85...

Since then... I liked it so well, I bought an all Stainless P89.

And a few others of different make, model, and chamberings...
    Of which I prefer the 45 ACP and 10mm.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, first was Hopkins&Allen 32 Rimfire Falling Block Rifle. Second, 38 S&W 38 I Frame Regulation Police. I still own both. [^]
  • Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first gun was an M16A1.

IIRC, I was pretty good with it.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I do.. Winchester 190, still have it.
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin Model 60....7th birthday present from my dad. February 18, 1986. Bought it at Service Merchandise for $69 (at least thats what he thinks he paid.)
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Do I ever remember my first... about the time I was 6 a neighbor of mine was building a 69 Camaro so I would find myself wondering through his garage and helping him by handing him tools he needed. In the corner of the garage was a old 22, he said it belonged to his grandfather but he had never shot it, after pestering him for a while he ended up giving it to me, it was a Winchester 67A. I still have it and it is one of the guns that I will never sell.

First Shotgun: Winchester 1400 20ga
    First Handgun: Ruger MK-1 4" tapered
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep & still have it. A Ortiges single shot 22. German made.[:D]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 55 rimfire.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You bet I do...Beretta 92F...I still own it. My most trusted, reliable pistol. Beautiful, too.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, still have my Remington Nylon 66, from my 8th Birthday...so old it has no serial number.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First one bought by me from a summer of putting up hay from the local Western Auto
    [img][/img]ef21f188-f2bb-4b35-b459-4c6dabd4bbbe_zps703a33ff.jpg

First one that I ever shot my grandfathers Remington 41 target master put a lot of squirrels in the pot with that one
    [img][/img]001-52_zpsfbd07508.jpg
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, still have it, it still shoots better than I do. Sears model 30 made by the old (and good) High Standard.
  • Options
    tipupstipups Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First pistol shot Colt Frontier Scout. Dad's, still have it.
    Shot gun Lefever Nitro 12ga. Wore plum out, Shot first spring turkey with it and only bobcat with it. Still have it. First pistol bought
    Ruger single six unfortunately stolen.
    As a side note Dad let me fire his Ruger 44 magnum when I was about ten. Didn't pickup that gun up again until I was 20.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    First firearm I bought myself was a single shot Marlin 101 22 caliber.
    I think I was 11 years old, found an add in Boys Life magazine, sell all occasion cards and earn a rifle. I pestered my family and neighbors constantly about buying cards, finally they got tired of me, and bought enough cards for me to get the rifle.
    They didn't have to put up with me much after that, I was out hunting with my 22. I killed porcupines with a leaded baseball bat, they had a 50 cent apiece bounty, it paid for a box of 22 shells.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never forget:

First: Remington Nylon 66 Brown 22 LR when I was 14.
    Second: Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga, 30" full choke.

Still have both guns 45 years later, Both shoot like tops and out of my collection both are in my top 5.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Standard 22 LR, paid $25