In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need some ideas

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
I'm going to build a Washer's game tonight. My wife's grandfather has a small woodshop and he hasn't been able to build anything since his stroke in 2004. I thought I'd get some stuff to build a washers game and take it over there tonight and he can "help" me build it.

Here's the dimensions I'm thinking of....

Playing surface of 24" long x 20" wide.
The playing surface will be sloped, back to front. 1" high in the front and a full 4"(building with 2x4's, and 1/2" plywood) in the back.

We're probably going to use 1 1/2" or 2" Stainless washers and I'd like to have 2 holes on each board. One that is 1/2" wider diameter than the washer and another that is 1" wider. A small cloth sack underneath to catch them.

My question to you is....
Do you think the hole sizes are reasonable? Do the need to be larger?

We're going to carpet it with blue outdoor carpet. I know you typically are given points for getting a washer to stay on the board. How should I do the scoring and how would I go about designating colors for the scoring zones?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    got my 28th anniversary comin up and need some ideas, have taken her deer huntin in Tx,Ar AZ Mt Wy Co NM for whitetails and muley's. Elk huntin in NM, Co and Ut. catfishin on the santee-cooper and east texas.gold pannin around Silverton and Hesperus. even went to a few high dollar caf?'s here and there. spent a week at the grand canyon, but that resulted in the youngest kid. need some new material fellers
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an elk tenderloin and a venison tenderloin in the fridge thawing out for tomorrow. I usually grill the venison loin whole with a dry rub and slice it at the table. But I have never cooked an elk loin. This was given to me by a friend. How would you cook it? Keep in mind it is going on the grill. I need some ideas!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    for my grand sons twelth birthday present. I bought him a mid sized helicopter and it won.t fly in the slightest breeze. Did a lot of research and any kind of plane won't do. Too much wind around here. Throw some ideas at me! I have a week.

No Don. He's not old enough for that!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need some help on a firearm that failed, figured some of you may have dealt with this before. I have a Browning A-500r that was NIB until last week. Customer took it out, on the 5th shot(factory lead #6shot), the weld that holds the barrel to the recoil lug failed, and blew the barrel halfway back into the receiver destroying it. Needless to say the shotguns now DOA.
    NOW the problem. Called Browning and there responce was basically "to bad so sad". They no longer deal with the A-500's and want nothing to do with it, even though its clearly a factory problem. Any ideas on how/who to aproach with this?
    Thanks all,
    Kolt

www.acebuyers.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need to move a liberty safe downstairs in my home. It has to go down 13 steps that are carpeted. The safe weights 640 pounds. How can I get it down SAFELY. I thought about putting a 4x4 across my outside door and setting up a block and tackle and lowering it. Any other Ideas????? And no don, I am not just giving it a shove although I appreciate your sarcasm.[:D][:D][:D] any Ideas guys????
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visa Gift card so he can buy what HE wants,,works for me at Christmas time--
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Rifle?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He has guns except a target 22 LR. Matter of fact he said all my guns are his! Know something? HE'S RIGHT![:D]
    Got him a new bike last year. He now has two. A 24 18 speed and a 26 inch 21 speed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buy him materials to build a fort and help him build it.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing rod and reel with a weekend fishing trip with grandpa
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Absolutely +1.

Buy him tools & a junk lawnmower..... or something else to exercise his mind & hands. How about a metal detector?
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is too windy, how about kite making materials, a few good reference books on air foils, aerodynamics, etc?
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

This! ^^^^^

He gets useful stuff, learns something and spends time with you. That seems like a win all the way around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only other idea I have for you is to help him make some reactive targets or get him some ballistics gel (and other materials as appropriate... denim and the like) and help him do some experimentation on terminal ballistics.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    se habla cash!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Make sure he will not be harassed buy the county for not having permits.[:o)] (this day and age you never know!)
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell him not to fly it in the wind[}:)]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my bike (Trek) saw a family heading to a school field to shoot off a model rocket. Sounds like fun to me so I'll suggest model rocket stuff............
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Starter fly fishing outfit.
    He won't need anything expensive. But he will spend the next 60 years trying to go from "ok" to "grandpa would have been proud of that cast".
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good knife for hunting....I still have the one my Grandfather gave me about that age.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    start now with a old broken down jeep or mustang and rebuild it with him over the next 4 years and you have his birthday present all lined up for the next few years. Buy something cool each year to put on the thing. it will make him want to start earning and saving money and even get a job , always helps at that age to have a little incentive to teach them to work. Something he will always remember once he gets in teh work force, "My gramps taught me how to work"
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    The wind you have. Does it really Blow in the afternoon. Know most places are calm in the early morning. May be able to fly then. Also cooler air will make the helo fly better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The fort cabin thing is a good idea. I really like the fly fishing suggestion. Only problem is I would have to find him someone to instruct him. I know nothing about fly fishing. His whole life revolves around hunting and fishing. He has all the guns and knives he needs and also fishing gear. He did mention that his waders have a hole in them to. Thanks guys. You jump started my brain.[:)]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another game for his playstation.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the components to build his own fishing rod. That'd be a good project for the two of you to work on together.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    start now with a old broken down jeep or mustang and rebuild it with him over the next 4 years and you have his birthday present all lined up for the next few years. Buy something cool each year to put on the thing. it will make him want to start earning and saving money and even get a job , always helps at that age to have a little incentive to teach them to work. Something he will always remember once he gets in teh work force, "My gramps taught me how to work"

^^^^THIS!^^^^

Guaranteed he won't abuse the Jeep, nor keep it poorly! He will cherish the memories all his life. You can transfer a Ton of Knowledge over the Fenders of a Car You restore together. Women, Tools, Cars, World View, Respect, Politics, and so on.

Daughter (Mentioned under "Proud Daddy" topic) and I worked on/under My 93 Chevy Pickup as part of Her training before it became Her First Car in High School Years. Then She went out into the World (She Enlisted in the USAF) - after her Tech Training, all she wanted was that old Pickup. She Drives it to this Day. She continues to maintain it - has Repainted it, Replaced Brakes, Replaced Radiator, Tracked Down a Difficult Electrical Gremlin and repaired it, and so on. Rotates Her Own Tires, Does Her Own Oil Changes and more.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1

12 years old is probably getting past the stage of building forts.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Jeep/Mustang idea.
    Another thought is a gold or silver coin. If you give him one every birthday, Christmas, Easter, graduation, confirmation, etc.......He will have pounds by the time he might need some real money!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

12 years old is probably getting past the stage of building forts.
    Really? I don't think I ever stopped! They just got more and more elaborate and used for more divergent purposes.[:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

Make sure he will not be harassed buy the county for not having permits.[:o)] (this day and age you never know!)

get the permit 1st and take the inspector to supper
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    A good knife for hunting....I still have the one my Grandfather gave me about that age.

+1 Still have mine
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR15 parts kit. I would be ecstatic if I was 12 and received that for a gift. He would be the envy of his gang. Also, it is something you two could do together. Check out PSA

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Chemistry set
    Telescope
    Microscope
    Camping/ fishing equipment
    An appropriate sportsman's knife

It seems I recall when my son was that age he loved model building, and this was something we both shared. We put together plenty of military aircraft and ship models.

A real starter train set might be cool, also.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a 12 y.o. neighbor girl, pizza, and a movie? He will forget about other gifts in the future but he will never forget the girl!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He is 5 feet and 5 inches tall and believe it or not a very cute little, and I do mean little girl of 18 lives across the street from him and has been chasing him around for a year now! She can't be over 4 foot 7 or 8 and cute as a button. We were loading some of his fishing gear into my truck one day and she had been to her neighbors swimming and walked by with a bikini on and I kinda elbowed him and he said. "I saw her pap pa but I wasn't going to say anything in front of you" THATS MY BOY!!!
    He does have all the knives and guns and shooting gear so he don't need any of that. We went to Gander Mountain Yesterday and I suggested we go to toys are us and he picked out a kids night vision Binocular that has a SD card in it for recording so I bought it for him. It was only about 75 bucks. I think I will buy him some fishing lures also. One of the members on here sent him some fossils and another one sent some petrified wood some time ago that made him very happy. He loves things like that almost as much as hunting. He started 4H shot gun this evening and did very well shooting one of my trap guns.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get him a box of candy ... to take across the street for the little girl. Trust me she will figure out something to give him for his birthday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to steer him away from the girls. She is much too old for him. I got my education from a 16 year old when I was 13.[:I] From my experience he needs to wait a long time.