In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 yard + gun

wild cat manwild cat man Member Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
what would be the best gun for long range shooting 300+ yards i would prefer small caliber amnutation like 22/250 or what would be the best and what gun brand or caliber want something to reach out and touch something

Comments

• Options
    ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are we shooting at?

AT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    crows or small varments or large
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good 22 rimfire will shoot 300 yards so will a bmg 50 cal.

What do you want to do at 300 yards?
  • Options
    The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to beat a 22/250 for that.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wild cat man
    what would be the best gun for long range shooting 300+ yards i would prefer small caliber amnutation like 22/250 or what would be the best and what gun brand or caliber want something to reach out and touch something

A majority of it depends on the shooter.

I have seen folks equipped with a rifle more than capable of accurate fire at 300+, yet they couldn't hit their * with both hands;

And then, I have seen folks shoot what many consider 'obsolete', and they acheive hit after hit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    want something that not to heavey i have broke back and not able to hold bull ballel 50 cal
  • Options
    big truckerbig trucker Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5X55 SWEDE Works well for me at that range.Mild recoil and not real loud.[^]
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    If you're just after little critters, and you have problems with recoil, it's really hard to beat a .22-250.

I'd say that the next up, if you're bucking some wind, would be a .223 or a .243.

Then the badder boys - .25-06, .240 Weatherby Magnum.

The list goes on....

Doug

* spelling
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,345 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big trucker
    6.5X55 SWEDE Works well for me at that range.Mild recoil and not real loud.[^]

Bingo!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what the range for these i shoot one in groupe with 22 at 50 yards what brand would you recomend
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Weatherby.

or Savage accu-trigger.

Top and bottom of the lines.

Doug
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    wild cat man,

Where are you located? I'm looking for a New NIKON D-90 and I may have what you want.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what the best scope for this range 300+ yards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just north of knoxville tenn
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    If you're just after little critters, and you have problems with recoil, it's really hard to beat a .22-250.

I'd say that the next up, if you're bucking some wind, would be a .223 or a .243.

Why would the 223 buck the wind better than the 22-250? A fast twist 22-250 shooting high BC bullets is a dang good long range rig. And if you AI it, it's even better.

Then the badder boys - .25-06, .240 Weatherby Magnum.

The list goes on....

Doug

* spelling

Why would the 223 buck the wind better than the 22-250? A fast twist 22-250 shooting high BC bullets is a dang good long range rig. And if you AI it, it's even better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i never shot 223 how heavey and how the recoail
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are worried about weight, I think it is Sako that make an action sized for the .223. That would be the shortest, lightest bolt gun, good quality too. The recoil will be mild even with a light gun. Even lighter would be a Handi Rifle. The trigger is horrible and it is hit or miss on accuracy, but you might get a good one.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Dude- please proofread your posts. I can't understand half of what you are saying.

For instance you say "Crows or small varmint or large". Large what? Varmint? Game? How large?

Assuming we just need to take out crows or groundhogs at 300 yards, it is hard to beat a Savage BVSS-12 or FP-12 for the money. At 300 honestly .223 is all you need but 22-250 would give you more versatility. If you might be going after larger game such as deer, a .243 chambering might be a good middle ground.

As for scopes, do you like Fords or Chevys? Hard to go wrong with a Nightforce but they are pricey. Otherwise I like Leupold and Nikkon. Higher end BSA and Burris are ok too.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    cal .30-378WhtbyMag

and 250grain pills at max speed.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    for 300 yards a .223 AR type would do just fine.
    we had to qualify on knock down targets at 300 yards with the M16 when i was active duty.
    I'm currently building a .223 AR with a 20" heavy barrel that would be perfect for long range targets.
    I have another set of parts for a 5.56/.223 i could sell you, but theyre not cheap.
    tom
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I would go with a 223 on an AR15 platform. You could use the lower receiver for other applications.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The correct answer would be this:

IMG_10302-1.jpg

Of course with the Nikon that it currently wears not the BSA=POS that is pictured.
  • Options
    SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the AR15 in 223 calibur would do everything you need and it is a light weapon. I have shot rabbits ,groundhogs and even a couple of deer with one . Just get the right ammo for what you want to shoot so you have proper expansion of the projectile to bring down your prey.Make sure that the rifeling in the barrel is compatible with your ammo and you are good to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq
    cal .30-378WhtbyMag

Who makes 250 gr .308? I know 240 grain SMK. Are you shooting custom pills? And also who makes them? Sorry for all the ?'s.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, an Ar-15 in 5.56 or .204 ruger is pretty good for 100-400 yards, light recoil, flat trajectory, generally consistantly accurate.
  • Options
    Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    460 Wby....load it with some small slugs and you are good to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Who makes 250 gr .308? I know 240 grain SMK. Are you shooting custom pills? And also who makes them? Sorry for all the ?'s.

Solid bronce. Turned and polished on a precision CNC-lathe - the 250 grain is rather coincidental, but it even has BoatTail and is as pointy as a needle.

There is a craftsman that makes his own bronce, and pours his own rods on a homemade centrifuge. Subjecting the rods to about 5G to get the gasses out.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    cat man-I shoot prairie dogs ALL DAY with a 223. Choose a bolt gun in varmint weight. Good scope with NO MORE than 10x. 40gr VMAX factory stuff at 3800fps turns em into RED MIST[^][^]
    Sight it in at 100yds. THIS set up has worked for me any everyone else who has used it. With the lower power scope you can acquire your target quicker and theres virtually NO recoil. My 60 lb 54" grand daughter shoots it and loves it[^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, those will do the trick - every time. [:p]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I like my Savage 112(J) in 22-250.

I've got a 6X18 bushnell on it and that does fine for 3-400 yards, but I wish I'd have saved some scratch and put a better scope on it.

If you do a LOT of shooting, just know that the 22-250 can end up "burning up" a chamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq
    cal .30-378WhtbyMag

813.jpg

What brand 250 gr .308 bullets?
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Cat Man- 223 is ALL you will need. 300 is easy range for it AND your pocket.You can get ammo ANYWHERE for it. I have been around lots of people that shot varmints. MOST land owners DONT like the looks of AR type guns and are a little reluctant to let you shoot. Game Wardens relly frown on them too. This is what I have SEEN. If you are shooting your land fine. ANY thing goes. STAY away from guns with holes drilled near the end of the barrel. They will take out your hearing and others around them. They are LOUD. Most gun clubs dont allow them anyways. Main thing about the JOY of shooting is HITTING the target. That takes practice. 223 is the CHEAPEST out there for 300 yard shots.223 will handle most anything up to deer size. Porch monkeys too.[:0]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ask me, 300 is an easy mid range. Heck, with some bench time and perfect conditions (Wind) my .17 hmr will make good clean hits on small game at that range, reiterate (that requires range time!!!).
    But my go too's for varminting

Rem 40x. 22-250
    Sav. 112J. 25-06
    Colt AR-15 .223
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I find that my 220 Swift cause crows to loose a whole lot of feathers at 400 yards. Guess that 45 gr bullet is still moving at a good speed. 22-250, 243, 250 Savage, 25.06 6.5x55, 22 High Power, heck theres a whole lot of good ones that will do just fine.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    heck just * a shotgun..gunsandpainthorses has slugs that'l shoot further than that[;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 204 Ruger, my favorite varmint gun now, low, low recoil and shoots flat. Most accurate rifle I own. Did I mention low recoil.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Dennisnielson,

You know what...those oversized pictures REALLY irritate me. Either figure out how to size your pictures...or stop posting them! Honest!!

I HATE threads too wide to read. Your insensitivity to everyone else makes you look like an *!!

Honest!!

edit: ...and you do it EVERY time!!

Your overreations make you look like an *! How hard is it to slide that mouse an inch, anyways?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Dennisnielson,

You know what...those oversized pictures REALLY irritate me. Either figure out how to size your pictures...or stop posting them! Honest!!

I HATE threads too wide to read. Your insensitivity to everyone else makes you look like an *!!

Honest!!

edit: ...and you do it EVERY time!!

Sorry they fit perfect on mine and I like pics that are actually of a size to show good detail.

His show up the same size as when I post my pics. So that leads me to assume that mine end up oversized for some members too.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    His pics fit fine for me to, quit your bitching your acting like an *. HONEST !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are too big.

Doug