In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30.06 for deer

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
As I took yet another deer this year with my trusty rusty remington, and as I perused the extent of the damage done to the meat, it occurred to me this time that the 30.06 caliber is really overkill when it comes to deer.

I know folks love to tout its versatility, but realistically what you've got is a caliber that is a bit big for deer and a lot big for game under that size.
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good whack behind the front shoulder with a 30-06 won't hurt the meat. Sure you could use a smaller rifle. Whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Love My Savage 111 30-06
    Don't think its over kill At all
    one Shot, Deer Down Humanely, Use Remington Core-lokt 180 gr. psp
    No Huge Exit No Loss of Meat, Job Done.

Mr. Perfect What are you using for bullets I Hope Not those ballistic tip thingies They Waste More meat than their worth From What I Have Seen From Others Experience. Seen Some Shot with them Front Shoulder and Took out Both sides Turned to Mush.
    Major Waste IMHO
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy that shot a deer with a .50 BMG from an M82A1 at 100 yards. That is the definition of ruined meat...not anything that an -06 can do.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    I Love My Savage 111 30-06
    Don't think its over kill At all
    one Shot, Deer Down Humanely, Use Remington Core-lokt 180 gr. psp
    No Huge Exit No Loss of Meat, Job Done.

Mr. Perfect What are you using for bullets I Hope Not those ballistic tip thingies They Waste More meat than their worth From What I Have Seen From Others Experience.

Admittedly it could be the bullet. I was using just that this year. edit to add: but there is always a large exit wound IME.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    now thats Assinine [:0]quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    I know a guy that shot a deer with a .50 BMG from an M82A1 at 100 yards. That is the definition of ruined meat...not anything that an -06 can do.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I hear ya, sometimes. Past few years, around here, it seems as if most people want something that will hit in the neck and blow the *** hole out, like a (300 RUM, 300 WBY, 7MM STW, etc). The vast majority of deer around here are under 200 pounds, makes no sense to use such a caliber. I use a 308 and I'm sure it will drop anything in North America. With as many deer that have been dropped with a 30-30, I don't see the point in large cartridges... though if I were pulling off a 900 yard shot on a 250+LB deer... yea
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    now thats Assinine [:0]quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

tell me about it. He should have gotten much closer.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Woodshed is right. Bullet type used makes a huge difference. I als like the Rem corelokt ammo best for taking deer. Great performance and little damage to the meat.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    As I took yet another deer this year with my trusty rusty remington, and as I perused the extent of the damage done to the meat, it occurred to me this time that the 30.06 caliber is really overkill when it comes to deer.

I know folks love to tout its versatility, but realistically what you've got is a caliber that is a bit big for deer and a lot big for game under that size.

Sorry Mr. Perfect, its all about bullet placement. I just killed a nice 8 point last week with a 30-06 using handloaded 165 grain Nosler BT. I shot the deer right in the ribcage and took out both lungs. Damage to the meat was negligible. I have done considerable more damage with a bad placed shot to the front shoulder with a 95 grain .243. IMO- the 30-06 is an ideal caliber for whitetail. [:D]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    ....where you hitting them at,to be ruining meat ???[;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess next your gonna tell me my 7mm mag is too big...[;)]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS[}:)] I hunt with balistic tips as my go-to bullet. Those who say they aren't good pills, are the ones who end up having guys like me, track their wounded deer[V] The nosler balistic tip is IMHO the BEST harvesting bullet ever invented. It creates MAJOR hydrostatic shock upon impact, and puts the game on the ground.

as far as the 30-06 being too much for whitetail deer,...well inside 200yds, that can be very true. The whitetail deer is easy to drop, and a heavy 30cal pill has a sectional density which is way more than enough to drop a deer. The thing is, is that a 180gr pill from a 30-06 doesn't meet enough resistance when entering a whitetail, to properly expand and expend it's energy in the animal. Most shots with a 30-06 are pass-through shots with very little, if any expansion. Now, at 300yds and beyond, you will see far better results.

Too many hunters have what I like to call,..."magnum disease". They think they need a big powder charge to drop a whitetail deer, which is false. Ask yourself why the 22lr if the worlds most used poaching round??????? It has plenty of energy up close and drops the animal.[;)] When you step up the power, there is a point at which you have overpowered your target, and the bullet fails to perform as it was intended. (do a search on sectional density). For whitetail deer, at any distance under 300yds, the best weight bullet for the 30-06 is the 150gr pill. It WILL drop them on the spot, assuming your shot is placed correctly.

I use balistic tips in ANY caliber, since I know I won't have to track the animal. I take shoulder shots 90% of the time, since I know they will be DRT. You are only wasting a few pounds of meat with that shot, and you can always shoot another deer to make up the difference. Even though I don't want to have to track an animal, I end up taking the front position when tracking someone else's wounded deer, who doesn't use balistic tips. I guess that is what I get for being good at tracking.[B)]
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    use a 125 grain bullet and you wont have that problem
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-06 is an excellent cartridge for just about any game on this continent, as long as you choose the right bullet and powder loading. That is the real strength of the 30-06. i.e. it's WIDE versatility. You can load anywhere from rabbit poppers to locomotive stoppers. [:D]
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Someday I'm gonna get me a Rem. 760/7600 in 30-06, been a dream for sometime now. But there are more important places to send money right now.

I've used a Mossberg 472 lever gun in .30-.30 for the last 10yrs of hunting and shot a few deer w/ 150gr Rem. Corelokt and recently PMC Eldarado 150gr solid copper hollow points. This year I'm switching up to the 160gr Hornady LeveRevolution.

Of the Hornady LR rounds what kind of damage do they do.
    I know,they're leathal when properly placed.
    ANy different to the fist sized clot areas I've seen on my deer w/the 150gr rounds?

I'll also be taking out my Rem 870 w/some Hornady SST slugs and Federal Barnes Expander sabot slugs.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a full grown doe with my 30-06 using 180 gr core lokt handloads, it was what I found in the basement and didn't want to do any loading. High front on chest shot at 75 yds, dropped her in her tracks. Only my second deer with an '06, both in their tracks.

I shot a 10 pt buck a week later with a 308 and 150 gr bullets at 250 plus yds. I hit high in the shoulder and dropped him in his tracks. I guess the distance ate up some velocity and my reloads are pretty mild, but their wasn't an inordinant amount of damage on a meaty shoulder shot.

I used to use a 300 Weatherby, I still use my 7 mag (which isn't really that much different from an '06), but killing a deer isn't really that hard, they aren't that big. Maybe it's just mine that are small though[:D]

KC
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    150 Hornady Interlock is a pretty fair choice in the 06 or 308.Penetration is not a big issue on whitetails or mule deer if hit correctly.The most meat spoilage I have ever witnessed is from a too close to shoulder shot with a 17 REM.For myself,if a head shot is not possible then 6 inches below the backline in between th third and fourth rib ruins nothing but grind meat
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm 08 with 140 grainers is excellent. The premium bullets such as the Nosler, Barnes, Swift etc are great, but for a whitetail the old reliables, Winchester power points, Remington corlokt and Federal hi shok get the job done well.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Where is Jack O Conner when you need thim
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Perfect, I would suggest what load and type of bullet you use be reviewed, you may be using the wrong bullet/powder combo.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try shooting bigger deer or quit shooting bambi[:D][}:)]
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont shoot them in the hams[V]
    30.06 has kept ouy family fed for years with very little waste.
    shot placement is the key
    my dad and i always used 180 grn. remington core lokt bullets
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im glad to see the majority of the smart hunters realize that ballistic tips are not the best. It is not necessary to blow a hole as large as a grapefruit.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horney toad
    A good whack behind the front shoulder with a 30-06 won't hurt the meat. Sure you could use a smaller rifle. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

+1.

Any caliber yo use to shoot meat will cause gross waste.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

How did he get it in the tree stand?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I havent Had to track one yet with Those 180 Factory loads
    yeah Pass through .......Bout Nickle Size EXIT... But Dead There.. No Chasin'em
    No Meat wasted And yeah I can Shoot another one, and not waste Any of It either.[;)]
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of the 50 BMG, 4 years ago my 700 CDL 270WSM took a fall the day before opening day of rifle season. I had no other long range rifle that I knew was dead on except my AR50. Deer had been crossing one end of a 350 yard pasture consistently, and due to the wind, I had to set up on the other. Drove out in the pasture opening morning and set the AR50 on one of my short bales of hay that I had left in the pasture. Drove out and got back out to the pasture. Bout an hour after daybreak my biggest buck to date walked out of the creek bottom 40 yards away, broadside. Of course he fell in his tracks, shot behind shoulder and no more damage than any other rifle shot in the same area.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullet, load, placement . . . [:0] [;)] [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Im glad to see the majority of the smart hunters realize that ballistic tips are not the best. It is not necessary to blow a hole as large as a grapefruit.

define smart?[}:)]

I don't have to track my deer[8] But then again, I can hit them correctly as well[;)] If all the "smart" hunters spent as much time on the bench, as they did on the keyboard, they would know that the balistic tip is the most devatating hunting bullet ever made. BUT, I can leagally shoot over 40 deer per season here, so maybe my experience is, in some way, biased[8D]
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

I don't have to track my deer[8] But then again, I can hit them correctly as well[;)] If all the "smart" hunters spent as much time on the bench, as they did on the keyboard, they would know that the balistic tip is the most devatating hunting bullet ever made. BUT, I can leagally shoot over 40 deer per season here, so maybe my experience is, in some way, biased[8D]
    wow where can you kill 40 deer per season
    I have had great results shooting Winchester Supreme Ballistic tips but I have not done it 40 times in all my deer seasons
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danielgage

wow where can you kill 40 deer per season
    I have had great results shooting Winchester Supreme Ballistic tips but I have not done it 40 times in all my deer seasons

the Eastern Shore of MD[:D] We have limits for both whitetail and sika deer. That limit covers muzzleloader, bow, and rifle. keep in mind, the species difference gives you 2 times the limit, since there are two different types of deer. They have cut us back on the sika this year, so we are cut back by some 10 deer or so. BUT, we still have an abundance of deer. We shot 19 in 3 days during black powder a few weeks ago, and that was in 2 days of hunting. That also DOES NOT count what I can take on crop damage permits. That adds another 80+ tags per year[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shot one Muledeer Buck with a Nosler Ballistic tip and it was the absolute worst bullet choice I ever used on a game animal.
    It had nothing to do with shot placement either. It left a crater a half inch deep and 8" around with blood shot meat for another 12 inches beyond the crater in every direction. That was enough experience for me to never use them again.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler Ballistic tip are for trophy hunters who dont care about the meat, just the kill/rack[V]
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    I shot one Muledeer Buck with a Nosler Ballistic tip and it was the absolute worst bullet choice I ever used on a game animal.
    It had nothing to do with shot placement either. It left a crater a half inch deep and 8" around with blood shot meat for another 12 inches beyond the crater in every direction. That was enough experience for me to never use them again.

That has been my experience with them, DRT for sure if you hit behind the shoulder. Not sure how these would perform hitting shoulder, but I dont like the mess. I'd much rather load down for my 308 with a good bullet, and at the shorter ranges the bullets will expand more than enough, leaving a short tracking job, less of a mess in the ribcage, and less damaged meat.
  • Options
    edited November -1

chambering and bullet weight?
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    use a 125 grain bullet and you wont have that problem

+200 on that.
    Have a friend that has been reloading 30-06 ammo for years to use for deer hunting. 95% of the time he uses 110 to 125 grain bullets. Those small bullets pack a huge punch and 90% of the time they will turn the heart cavity into mush and the bullet will not even exit the animal. He started hand loading his deer ammo after most of the factory ammo only offered 150 grain, 165 grain or 180 grain bullets.

You do not need a big gun nor bullet to put meat in the freezer. A well trained 11 year old can do it easily with 95 grain Federal .243 ammo if given the chance.

6428789803_181a1b422f_z.jpg

6428791821_1cb285a3bd_z.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1

30-06. This was in the mid to late 90's and if I remember right, 165 grain bullet.
    It acted like it just dissintegrated on impact where all the energy disperssed to the sides of impact. I noticed you mentioned longer shots where this one time I used the ballistic tip on a hunt, my shot happened to be about 60 yards, so a fairly close shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this is what was recovered after passing through the shoulder plate of a 300lb bore (right bullet) and the neck of a deer at 425 lazered yards (left bullet). They drop like they were hit by the hammer of thor[}:)]

101_1256.jpg
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took my POS Rem Model 770 in 7mm rem mag to S.D. in 08'. I shot a nice doe(locals claimed she was, bought the size of a dog here) at 236yrd. I used remington corlokt 150 gr Soft Point, blew a hole the size of a volleyball out the back size after hitting bone. Next time I'll place it in the ribs and use a different bullet type.

My brother bought a rem 700 30-06 an shot a doe the same size at 40yrd in the ribs will same kind/brand of ammo(diff caliber). His hole only baseball size.
  • Options
    edited November -1

30-06. This was in the mid to late 90's and if I remember right, 165 grain bullet.
    It acted like it just dissintegrated on impact where all the energy disperssed to the sides of impact. I noticed you mentioned longer shots where this one time I used the ballistic tip on a hunt, my shot happened to be about 60 yards, so a fairly close shot.

you may have been in the period before nosler changed the jacket thickness to make them a true large game hunting bullet. At first, they had jackets so thin that they exploded on impact on varmints. after that, they adjusted to a thicker jacket for hunting. The new jacket design, since 10-15yrs ago, makes them the ultimate deer bullet.[:p] NO DEER, walks from this bullet.

Some folks worry about the extra 3-4lbs of meat when shooting through a shoulder, I don't consider that at all, since I don't have to track them. Also, that area of the animal doesn't yield much meat anyway.