In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

JW's

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
How do you keep them away. Have my sign that says Property Protected By a US Marine. But took it down to repaint.

I put my Truck in 4wd to go down my drive and they show up in these 2 wd cars.

You would think that after I told them the last time to get the Hell out of here they Might get the point.

They just stopped by again.

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short of Shooting one and leaving their head on a post at the start of my drive, how do you keep them away. [:(!]
    edited November -1
    How you keep them off your Property. Short of putting up a sign that says "JW's shot on sight" I can't think of any.

Had to pull down my sign that said "This Property Protected by a US Marine" Needs repainted faded to much. They now are showing up every other week.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could thank them for caring about you, but let them know that you are not interested, and would appreciate not being contacted in the future.

I did this a few times 3 - 4 years ago, and have not been contacted since. A polite no thank you carries a lot more weight than belligerence. The head on a post idea, however, just might work.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    The truth is, tell them you attend church and you're a student of the Bible. I'm as serious as a heart attack. JWs work the neighborhoods looking for people who are are hungry for God but are NOT literate in the Bible, since their religion is based on a handful of mis-translations of Scripture. THEY ARE REPELLED BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW AND READ GOD'S WORD, and will move on to some other sucker down the street. They do not waste time with people who already know and read the Bible, because they know they'll get word-whupped.

Hope I haven't offended anyone, but if I did it's not the first time.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Excuse me, I used the wrong word. JWs are not a religion, they are a cult. Any group that cannot recite the Nicene Creed without crossing their fingers is not a part of the Christian Church, and is therefore a cult. This can be nice folks, and good members of society, but to me they are not Christians. Christians believe there is one God, and Christ is that same God in human form.

Previous admonition against offending anyone still applies.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    River Rat is exactly right.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I holler to the wife that "Schwan's is at the door" and I sneak out the back.[:D]

AT
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine would answer the door naked.

My wife tells 'em we're Jewish (well, its half true...)

I typically ask if they saw the "no tresspassing" sign on the gate, and if they can read English...
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    MIL is always happy to see em. They don't even go on her block though,since she let a group into her back yard (where the goatshead shrine is) and invited them to worship the Goddess with her a couple of years ago. [:D]

I just don't answer the door.

Allen
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Offer them a free Book of Mormon. That seems to scare the hell out of them. They can't seem to get out of the yard fast enough. [}:)][:D]

(I keep a couple of BofM's around, just for that purpose.)
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Answer door wearing leather and a strap on

GUN

that is

[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Excuse me, I used the wrong word. JWs are not a religion, they are a cult. Any group that cannot recite the Nicene Creed without crossing their fingers is not a part of the Christian Church, and is therefore a cult. This can be nice folks, and good members of society, but to me they are not Christians. Christians believe there is one God, and Christ is that same God in human form.

Previous admonition against offending anyone still applies.

I can't recite the Nicene Creed. I must be a cult of one. [;)][8D]

Isn't the Nicene Creed associated with Catholisism?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    Offer them a free Book of Mormon. That seems to scare the hell out of them. They can't seem to get out of the yard fast enough. [}:)][:D]

(I keep a couple of BofM's around, just for that purpose.)

Actually saw a couple converted to Mormon. Grew up with a family of Mormons. We were close. One day some JW's show up Father invites them in they go to talking religion. Then he starts talking. They left saying they would see him in church the next sunday.

They did get me to their church once. Something just did not feel right. The next week I was back in my Southern Babtist church.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An old friend of mineThat I have known for 15 years has got involved with that outfit . He was a Marine and a very able soldier. Now when he comes around all he does is testify about his new beliefswhich don't agree with mine .he says the earth is only 5 or 6 thousand years old and so on .I picked up a Mastodon tooth and told hid that it had beed dead for over 12,000 years and he says prove it ???? How do you reason with someone like that?He tells me that the elders are not supposed to have handguns and he is selling his as he wants to become an elder. Man this guy is a third degree black belt and one hell of a Marine ,Its amazing how he was brainwashed .Its embarrasing to listen to him go on about that crap.It insults my beliefs but out of respect for him and the man he was I havn't told him to get lost.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was one for 18 years(by force not choice) and you nailed it! It is a cult in every way. Even when I was young I knew they're was something fundamentally wrong with being discouraged from drawing my own interpretation from the scriptures. They hold meetings(church) 3 times weekly and this doesn't include the field service(knocking on your door) on any day possible. During the meetings they listen to sermons given by the senior members of the congregation, read articles from the watchtower and have a Q&A on the material covered. The Q&A is an outright attempt at brainwashing.
    For example,
    The Reading : The bible encourages us to remain 'no part of this world' which includes refraining from involvement in politics and affairs which do not facilitate the spreading of the good news.
    The question : What does the bible encourage us to do?

Of course the bible doesn't encourage one to refrain from involvement in politics but that's the natural answer. When you hear and say it enough and it starts to stick.

Weekly, random members are assigned a portion of scripture read and present to the congregation. The 5 minute presentation involves relating the scripture to information provided in the Watchtower or Awake literature. Members and given presentations as soon as possible. I was six when I gave my first one. There are other forms of presentations in which two sisters demonstrate how to reason with common questions in field service.

River Rat, you're dead wrong about their knowledge of the bible. Of course their bible is the 'New World Translation'. They expect to encounter other versions of the bible and intensely practice matching their interpretations to the other versions. Before I was 10 I had read the bible cover to cover more than once, knew the order of the books and even their authors. They practice every possible scenario and question you could think to throw at them. They are also taught to disregard any information or logic which contradicts the information provided in their literature. Members who leave the congregation are shunned of all contact. My own mother didn't speak to me for nearly 4 years when I joined the military.

An interesting and highly exploitable fact : the witnesses are taught to be deathly afraid of Satan and his demons. From a young age they circulate stories of demonic possession. How this occurs exactly is a source of great debate. Some believe you shouldn't own, view or touch any object associated with magic, demons, etc even to the point of not owning a Disney cartoon that features some form of magic or Satan-like entity. Others are more liberal with their views.

Don stated the best solution. Just be polite and firm and DO NOT accept their literature, if you do they WILL be back. If you get an over zealous one you can always tell them you're disfellowshiped and they should leave immediately. If all else fails put on your best acting face, roll your eyes back in your head and begin babbling while clawing at the air.

Side note - please don't threaten or abuse them. They're just confused and brainwashed. On many occasions I, my mother and friends were the target of vicious abuse. Some @sshole ordered his pit bulls on me (I was 9!!!) A man shoved my mother off the porch in front of me(injured her ankle). We were shot at. Etc.

Field service was NOT fun; it was promoted as a moral responsibility. In their twisted minds they're trying to save your life.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one on the lot a few days ago, he told me that JW's would not fight for thier country or serve in any capacity in the military. I asked him "what if we are invaded by a foreign military what would you do?" He said "we would stay in our homes out of harms way because a foreign power would only be interesting in killing those opposing them."

At that point I terminated our conversation and politely exused myself. Had I not been at work I would have told him exactly how I veiwed his kind.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sav99
    Had one on the lot a few days ago, he told me that JW's would not fight for thier country or serve in any capacity in the military.

This is precisely why I'm slightly less than cordial when they approach me.

Would a U.S. flag with whichever military branch flag is appropriate flying in your yard be a deterrent?
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    I holler to the wife that "Schwan's is at the door" and I sneak out the back.[:D]

This made me laugh hard. You got a mean streak![:D]
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Would a U.S. flag with whichever military branch flag is appropriate flying in your yard be a deterrent?

Nope
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesupermonkey
    quote:Would a U.S. flag with whichever military branch flag is appropriate flying in your yard be a deterrent?

Nope

Then I guess I'll just keep bing cool-ish towards them.

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Actually saw a couple converted to Mormon. Grew up with a family of Mormons. We were close. One day some JW's show up Father invites them in they go to talking religion. Then he starts talking. They left saying they would see him in church the next sunday.

They did get me to their church once. Something just did not feel right. The next week I was back in my Southern Babtist church

I see nothing wrong with that. [:)]
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JWs are flakes. Another crazy group that would allow a child to die instead of receiving a blood transfusion, because it doesn't coincide with some nut-bars interpretation of THAT BOOK.[:(!]

AT
    edited November -1
    I have Marine Sticker and decals All over the place. Even a Sign on my Garage that Says "Marine Way" Rear window of my truck is one big Marine Emblem. Even have a sign at the gat that Says "This Property Protected by A U.S. Marine".

All I did today was point and say "Leave Now".

My only real problem I have to watch for is myu old boss is an Elder. At the local Church. I'm hoping that when they start up I get hired back on. Lucky he never brings up the church at work so we get along fine.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Open up your Bible and debate Scripture with them. If you know the Word, they will not come back.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Short of Shooting one and leaving their head on a post at the start of my drive, how do you keep them away. [:(!]

Me and my then girl friend answered the door in our birthday suits after a shower, Havent been back since. That was three years ago.

I guess they diaprove of they god made us or something..

Nutty.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    I have fun with them, invite them in the house, show off my guns (before the boat sank) and log on to this site.......... let em read a couple of threads and they politely excuse themselves [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    I have fun with them, invite them in the house, show off my guns (before the boat sank) and log on to this site.......... let em read a couple of threads and they politely excuse themselves [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

This'll be a great one to let'em read!![;)]
  • ValsdadValsdad Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are exercising their first amendment rights ,they are doing what they think is right.Let them be,if you don't what them to bother you just tell them so,they will leave.Several of my family are JWs.They have won numerous cases in the SCOTUS for 1st ammendment rights,at least they have the ba!!s to fight for what they believe is right.In WW2 they were hunted down by the Gestapo for refusing to follow Hitler,sent to concentration camps and many executed.They are not cowards,if they believed it was their duty to fight they would. How much courage do you think it takes to get a bible and go knock on all your neighbors doors and tell them about god,try it and see.Cult? Who knows? Most religions could be considered a cult.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Valsdad
    They are exercising their first amendment rights ,they are doing what they think is right.Let them be,if you don't what them to bother you just tell them so,they will leave.Several of my family are JWs.They have won numerous cases in the SCOTUS for 1st ammendment rights,at least they have the ba!!s to fight for what they believe is right.In WW2 they were hunted down by the Gestapo for refusing to follow Hitler,sent to concentration camps and many executed.They are not cowards,if they believed it was their duty to fight they would. How much courage do you think it takes to get a bible and go knock on all your neighbors doors and tell them about god,try it and see.Cult? Who knows? Most religions could be considered a cult.

They do not use the Bible. They have a book of their own that they've made up and revised numerous times...but it is not the Bible. You are correct about one thing though...they are intent about telling folks about a god. You will not find a JW that will debate Scripture with a mature Christian.
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    anyways that head gets to stinking........but it has been working
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    They don't visit me anymore - since - I was on my way to a gas station around the corner and they started on me. I told them to hold their thought a moment and I'd be right back with a gallon of gasoline and a new lighter then I'll show them their God and see if He saves them.

Ahhhh, the peace and quiet.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually just tell them we are Baptists and plan to stay that way. I thank them for stopping by. Never had a real problem with them.

I'm a little confused about the military service thing though. I know absolutely nothing about the Jehovah Witnesses, but I think I remember seeing one on TV who said he was an Army Chaplain. Maybe thesupermonkey could straighten me out on that.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just told them the bible was false and I could prove it if they wanted to come in for awhile,That I now practiced the CRAFT and I would introduce them to the Goddess,they left and have never came back
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done this and it works.

1. Told them I am not interested and asked them to leave.

2. They did not leave.

3. Told them they were trespassing and if they did not leave I would arrest them and call the sheriff.

4. They did not leave.

5. Called the sheriff (my wife did and they heard the conversation).

6. They left in a hurry

7. Sheriff arrived and was told what happened.

8. Sheriff was very keen on finding these women and tried
    very hard to find them but they were long gone.

9. Havn't seen them since.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by Valsdad

They do not use the Bible. They have a book of their own that they've made up and revised numerous times...but it is not the Bible. You are correct about one thing though...they are intent about telling folks about a god. You will not find a JW that will debate Scripture with a mature Christian.

Amen! NWT is a secret translation and not recognized by any biblical scholars. To get their bible published they had to put all of their added words in brackets. They are very slick until you show any sign of knowledge in respect to the word of God.

I have been on a job for 2 1/2 years w/ a group of 10 trim carpenters that are JW's. It went down like this: I go to the truck I break out my Bible and show them highlighted scripture profounding my Biblical view and they take a look and say this is much different than my bible(particularly the book of John or Mark, this is big for them).
    These men are morally good guys(this is the whole 1 degree off thing). I really like them. They invite me to go to stop at the bar after work for drinks almost everynight that I see them. I respond that I will have to ask my mommy, and don't show up as I don't care to drink and drive( I only drink at home...on days that end in y and only alone or with friends[B)]).

As forementioned, as soon as you state your beliefs and disregard their watchtower propaganda they will stop coming over.

Confrontation is the key! Confront them with your truth and they will go away.
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without even getting into the "content" of their message, I learned a little trick a long time ago to scare those guys off...... I just tell them that I will listen to their message if they will listen to mine and they immediately turn tail and run.....
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    True story:

My little bro, the peace office, was awakened after an eventful night shift at about 10AM by knocking on the door. He saw two well dressed "colored" ladies at the door, and he knew they had to be JW's. Still in his skivvy's, he grabs a beer from the fridge on his way to the door, answers it

"How the hell are ya'll doin! Come on in!"

They left without a word. [:D]
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    had a couple of ladies come by and left abrubptly after i asked if they were from the escort service, and if they were wearing the leather panties i requested.. nah just kidding, i told them i was a baptist, they asked if they could leave me some pamphlets to look over, i told them sure, and they said they would be back the next week to see if i had any questions. that was last summer and they havent came back yet. i took their pamphlets because i try to develop a fundemental knowledge base of different beleif systems.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Only one thing Hitler- Stalin-Mao had in common. First thing ALL three of them did when they came to power.

Got rid of the JWs [:0]
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    "An interesting and highly exploitable fact : the witnesses are taught to be deathly afraid of Satan and his demons. From a young age they circulate stories of demonic possession. How this occurs exactly is a source of great debate. Some believe you shouldn't own, view or touch any object associated with magic, demons, etc even to the point of not owning a Disney cartoon that features some form of magic or Satan-like entity."

Which gives reason behind their continued avoidance of my poor old addlebrained mother in law.

[8D]

Allen
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I usually just tell them we are Baptists and plan to stay that way. I thank them for stopping by. Never had a real problem with them.

I'm a little confused about the military service thing though. I know absolutely nothing about the Jehovah Witnesses, but I think I remember seeing one on TV who said he was an Army Chaplain. Maybe thesupermonkey could straighten me out on that.

Was able to find this.

quote:Since their beginning, the Witnesses have been the subject of harassment virtually everywhere that they have been active. Regarding governments as the work of Satan, the Witnesses refuse to bear arms in war or participate in the affairs of government. Their refusal to salute the flag brought about a controversy that resulted in a decision in their favor by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1943.