In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

JW's

2»

Comments

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    only time my dog barks is when someone is knocking on the door. She always has to know who is there and is persistent at finding out. She tugs, pulls, jumps to the window, ect. I usally just say my dog is not friendly to strangers and they should go now. Seems to work, works even better when she jumps up the the big bay window and starts stareing at them through it.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    Offer them a free Book of Mormon. That seems to scare the hell out of them. They can't seem to get out of the yard fast enough. [}:)][:D]

(I keep a couple of BofM's around, just for that purpose.)

Hey, that's what I was going to suggest. I tell them that I am mormon and they are gone pretty quick.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuwanneePirate
    An old friend of mineThat I have known for 15 years has got involved with that outfit . He was a Marine and a very able soldier. Now when he comes around all he does is testify about his new beliefswhich don't agree with mine .he says the earth is only 5 or 6 thousand years old and so on .I picked up a Mastodon tooth and told hid that it had beed dead for over 12,000 years and he says prove it ???? How do you reason with someone like that?He tells me that the elders are not supposed to have handguns and he is selling his as he wants to become an elder. Man this guy is a third degree black belt and one hell of a Marine ,Its amazing how he was brainwashed .Its embarrasing to listen to him go on about that crap.It insults my beliefs but out of respect for him and the man he was I havn't told him to get lost.

You are talking about JDubs, right? A marine becoming a JDub? That's a big 180!
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I usually just tell them we are Baptists and plan to stay that way. I thank them for stopping by. Never had a real problem with them.

I'm a little confused about the military service thing though. I know absolutely nothing about the Jehovah Witnesses, but I think I remember seeing one on TV who said he was an Army Chaplain. Maybe thesupermonkey could straighten me out on that.

I suppose it's possible. There are exceptions. I'd met one jw who worked for the police dept. I guess the best way to describe it would be he was tolerated but not fully accepted.
  • cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:They have a book of their own that they've made up and revised numerous times.

HMMMMMMM. Seems Ive seen several other books that fits that description..[}:)][}:)] The Tora, the Koran, The KJV, They all seem to fit into that catagory.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tell em I * looking at pictures of the devil.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see ignorance continues to abound. I'm not a JW, or a member of the other religions that have been bashed. I can tell you this,very few of you have a clue and most are only repeating something they heard from who knows who. I've read some of the most false literature I have ever seen that was printed up by the local Baptist and Methodist churches, then distributed, by their members, in my community when I was a kid. Absolute lies, by some of the top leaders in the community. And I knew they were, with out a doubt, lies.

By definition all organized religions are a cult.

If you do not want the JW'S stopping by just tell them you are not interested, just like you would tell a vacuum salesman. Eventually they get the message. What if your son are daughter is going door to door for some reason, how would you want them treated?

And for some of you bible thumpers, have you ever read the bible? Especially the parts about the persecution of Gods messengers? Are you sure the side if this you are on is right?

What's that saying about ignorance? Well some of you opened your mouth and removed all doubt. Promote your religion based on what you know, do not attempt to tear down someone else's based on what you do not know.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    I've read some of the most false literature I have ever seen that was printed up by the local Baptist and Methodist churches, then distributed, by their members, in my community when I was a kid. Absolute lies, by some of the top leaders in the community. And I knew they were, with out a doubt, lies.

What are a few examples of the false literature and lies that they were distributing in your community?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    I see ignorance continues to abound. I'm not a JW, or a member of the other religions that have been bashed. I can tell you this,very few of you have a clue and most are only repeating something they heard from who knows who. I've read some of the most false literature I have ever seen that was printed up by the local Baptist and Methodist churches, then distributed, by their members, in my community when I was a kid. Absolute lies, by some of the top leaders in the community. And I knew they were, with out a doubt, lies.

By definition all organized religions are a cult.

If you do not want the JW'S stopping by just tell them you are not interested, just like you would tell a vacuum salesman. Eventually they get the message. What if your son are daughter is going door to door for some reason, how would you want them treated?

And for some of you bible thumpers, have you ever read the bible? Especially the parts about the persecution of Gods messengers? Are you sure the side if this you are on is right?

What's that saying about ignorance? Well some of you opened your mouth and removed all doubt. Promote your religion based on what you know, do not attempt to tear down someone else's based on what you do not know.

I served a mission for my church full time for two years. I always treat them respect. What I said is absolutely true. I tell them that I am mormon and they leave. One lady stayed in the doorway for awhile to chat but after I started asking her some questions that she didn't have answers for, she said that the rest of her group was leaving and that she had to go. She offered to leave some literature but I told her that it was not necessary and that she should save it for somebody that really wanted it.

I am also respectful to telemarketers for the most part. If I tell them no and they keep going, I politely ask them if they would like me to get rude. When they say no, I say "Thank you, I am going to hang up then. Goodbye."
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    I am also respectful to telemarketers for the most part. If I tell them no and they keep going, I politely ask them if they would like me to get rude. When they say no, I say "Thank you, I am going to hang up then. Goodbye."

I usually try to be polite to them too, or at least not rude, unless I think they intentionally called in the middle of supper. One thing I think about is many of the telemarketer are telemarketers because it's the only work they can physically do.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no need to be rude to telemarketers, JWs, LDS missionaries, or kids selling candy for the football team. Unless they demonstrate the failure to understand NO. I can thank people, tell them I am not interested, and wish them a good day. I once took a couple of young elders for the LDS church back to the house for some lemonade- they were really beat, had a very bad day- explained that they were making calls on the faculty housing for the local seminary (REALLY!)

Re: Military service by JWs- do not believe that was a JW that you saw as a Chaplain- they refuse ALL military service. I have had medics over the years that were 7th Day Adventists. They will not carry weapons, but WILL perform military service. Always considered that any of my medics that would go where people would shoot at them, and NOT SHOOT BACK had a pretty big pair.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    There is no need to be rude to telemarketers, JWs, LDS missionaries, or kids selling candy for the football team. Unless they demonstrate the failure to understand NO. I can thank people, tell them I am not interested, and wish them a good day. I once took a couple of young elders for the LDS church back to the house for some lemonade- they were really beat, had a very bad day- explained that they were making calls on the faculty housing for the local seminary (REALLY!)

Re: Military service by JWs- do not believe that was a JW that you saw as a Chaplain- they refuse ALL military service. I have had medics over the years that were 7th Day Adventists. They will not carry weapons, but WILL perform military service. Always considered that any of my medics that would go where people would shoot at them, and NOT SHOOT BACK had a pretty big pair.

As a former missionary, "Thank you." I never wanted to waste my time with people that weren't interested. But a nice, cold glass of liquid was always appreciated. Just be honest and tell me that you're not interested, and I won't come back. That doesn't mean that the next set won't, but who knows, your circumstances may be different the next time around.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aint that a tobacco outlet in NC
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1

Neither will they stand for the flag or anthem. They say that they don't "Worship false idols" or some such, but it is my opinion that they simply lack respect for their country and fellow countrymen for whom these simple acts mean so much. If they can't show me or my country respect, I'm not going to show them common courtesy when they come to my door, peddlin' salvation.

I simply can't dig deep enough within myself to be able to shrug and say "Different strokes" in this case.
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a sticker on mmy door saying,"protected by a guy with a gun" if they still insist I answer the door and tell them I'm Navajo and study the Anistasie ways (the ancients) they leave confused.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

Neither will they stand for the flag or anthem. They say that they don't "Worship false idols" or some such, but it is my opinion that they simply lack respect for their country and fellow countrymen for whom these simple acts mean so much. If they can't show me or my country respect, I'm not going to show them common courtesy when they come to my door, peddlin' salvation.

I simply can't dig deep enough within myself to be able to shrug and say "Different strokes" in this case.

They believe that there is a priority, which is good thinking as far as I am concerned, and choose to respect a god before country.

Unfortunately, they get neither.

Nothing personal about you is intended.

Absolutely no offense taken.

You make a good point.

I just think it's awful damn rude of them.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    I enjoy a good spurious religious debate with knowlegable folks. I invite them in, perk a pot of strong coffee, and hand them a Portal of Prayer (Lutheran Publication). That is just the neighborly thing to do. The problem I have encountered with these folks is that a lot of them are not real knowlegable of history or the bible, outside what their church dictates. I have taken their parenthesis bible and compared it to both the King James and the Lutheran Translation, and there are a lot of differences. I was told that the bible was corrupted and mistranslated. When I then bring up the fact that the Dead Sea scrolls are identical to the original texts chosen by Athanasius. Mention the Council of Trent and they get the deer in the headlight look.

However, I did manage to get one of the young ladies to take a Portals of Prayer, and occasionly they stop by...but I do make real old fashioned perked coffee with good cream.

Had a roomie in college that was JW. He was told he needed to move out because I was not the kind of person a good Christian JW would be associated with.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think Jehovah Witnesses claim to be Christian.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Do as Jeff Foxworthy says have a friend lay down in the driveway draw a chalk outline and throw out some religious pamplets.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    ...nothing about the Jehovah Witnesses, but I think I remember seeing one on TV who said he was an Army Chaplain. Maybe thesupermonkey could straighten me out on that.

Oh... I thought ya'll were talking about JeWs in code[:D]