In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun/Ammo Boom Is About To Go BUST.

lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Today in Three Rivers, Michigan I visited both Walmart and Meijer to find the usual-No Ammo.

I ended up at Dunhams Sporting Goods. There they had Pistol Ammo of all caliber's-9mm, .40S&W, .380 & 45Acp. 38 special in 250 round bulk packs. Had others too and a lot of boxes.

There ammo wasn't priced much higher than Walmart's. I purchased $300.00 worth. I asked the clerk" WOW when did you folks get Ammo?" She said" Four days or so ago". I said" No one bought it all up yet?" She said "Nope and a lot of people have looked at it and ended up buying other stuff."

Everyone is so stocked up and hoarding a good supply now, that the market is dramatically cooling off.

Watch all the stores fill up now and have a glutton of stock in the next 6 months.

Gun/ammo boom is going to be like the housing market. About to Bust!

Comments

• hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure hope you are right.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I hope so too, I need some 38Sp, 45acp, and 30carbine
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope so too bulk .223 is dried up in my area.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I see those new people buying up all the guns starting to buy ammo and shooting more. Hopefully we'll see some PRIMERS SOON
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, this is somewhat about supply & demand. Also related is my concern about an ammo tax. Hey folks, we have to be able to pay for all of B.O.'s grand plan somehow!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy in Three Rivers, I'll have to send him an e mail and give him a heads up on that ammo.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last week I went to the Walmart supercenter here in Lake City Fl and they had 22 magnums for 17.00 a box and no 22 long . I just could not pay that much for the 22 magnums so I went to the biggest privetly owned sporting goods store in town to see what they had. They carry the best of the best in boat,atvs,fishing and hunting supplies and prices there are usually a little higher than anywhere else in town. I bought two boxes of 22 magnum in CCI for 14.99 a box,2 bucks cheaper than Walmart. I think that our local walmart has been taking atvantage of the ammo situation and marking up the prices.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    I see those new people buying up all the guns starting to buy ammo and shooting more. Hopefully we'll see some PRIMERS SOON

Ya singin' my song, Elvis.[:D]

Hopefully they won't be $70.00 a brick. That's what I paid for the last 1,000 count I bought. Near broke my heart (and wallet).
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrbie

Me too.
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Local dealer I know says by mid to late summer is when to start looking for things to be normal
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been watching this whole thing closely and it is beginning to break. You can buy an AR just about anywhere now and stores are slowly getting more ammo. Won't be too long until ammo manufactures will be slowing down. There will be plenty of ammo because every one stocked up at hysterical prices and will have plenty to shoot. I predict a lot of people will be kicking themselves for paying these prices. Prices will take a little longer to drop though.
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elkhart,In Walmart showed me 4 boxes today of winchester 45 100 rounds for 29.99 a box.

Computer there showed 100 mile radius of stocked ammo.

Don't know if it will sit or be sold out in 24 hours but I think the ammo is coming on now.

We shall see if the hoarding continues or if the scare is over.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    it won't go down til the stores stop ordering or refusing surplus. the supplier will reduce his price to get stores to buy. then the factories will call the suppier and ask if he needs "whatever"... he will say "NOPE, got plenty" and they will lower the price to him, then they will be forced to lay off all the people they hired to keep up with the demand. Those workers, having stolen a box of ammo a day, will use their shells on fellow factory workers in a rage of gun violence causing the factory to close for the investigation and eventually collapse due to financial fallout from all the lawsuits. This will cause an ammo shortage and the whole cycle will repeat
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wait a little while longer, when people start getting laid off, ammo and guns will be available for cheap.
  • GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Just wait a little while longer, when people start getting laid off, ammo and guns will be available for cheap.

You might have hit this on the head.
    This area Elkhart In. and its surrounding towns Three Rivers,Mi.etc.
    Has had massive unemployment,I am one of them...but I'm gonna get me some of that ammo[:)]As for primers,found a shop that isnt trying to gouge,and got on a standing order.They get some call and I pay w/ a cc and pick up at my leisure.[8D]
    Glad to see some others from my location on here.
    GTR
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Hope things get better in Elkhart pretty soon. Been up there several times for the local airshow. beautiful place and the people are friendly. Good luck to you guys.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to the NRA convention Fri & Sat & asked that question often.
    Most people agreed that panic buying is the problem but they didn't see it ending anytime soon.
    In all the stores I have checked .22s are almost non-existant. Usually a few boxes of .22 shorts & .22 mags & rarely a couple of boxes of .22 LRs. The one place I did find a few bricks he wanted $40/brick which I assume is why he still had them.
    I don't NEED any but since I can't get them I WANT some. (But not at $40.)
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no end in sight here in Chas sc, people are lined up every morning checking the counter. Have not had any "hits" for ammo at Wally since before last week. got one box of 9's one evening dont know how they had it must have slipped it in at noon!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    quote:Originally posted by hrbie

Me too.

+3.
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to the range this past weekend. Only people shooting had hunting rifles. Usually there's people with ARs and the like but since ammo is so scarce the non-hunting gun nuts are far and few between.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think someone around here anticipated this about 6 months ago and said he wasn't going to be buying for awhile.

HEY INDIANA GUYS
    come check out ingunowners.com if you're not already there.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is going to end sooner rather than later for a few reasons.

First, This administration is not putting guns on the top of the list. It's bad political Juju.

Second, there may be a sucker born every minute, but sooner or later, that well is going to run dry.

Third, this economy, one way or the other, will put a stop to this. Either things are going to get so bad that no one will be able to afford ammo, or things will turn around, and if there's no "panic" about where we are headed, the sales will dry up, and things will be back to normal.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    i told you guys about the letters i wrote to the factories months ago. they will catch up this summer and all the skanks who hoarded ammo that they don?t even own guns to will eat it.

Guns will still be flying off the shelves but ammo will become more plentiful. And abama will most likely slow down the action in Afganistan and Iraq freeing up some production time for civilian orders.

they have been at it 24-7 since the "election"
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Ammo is still scarce in my part of the country. Walmart is selling Winchester White Box 9mm for about $20 for 100 rounds if you can find it.
    The same box shows up in the gun shop for $45, which is a major rip off, in my opinion.
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    No shortage of ammo at my house!![;)][;)][8D][8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:i told you guys about the letters i wrote to the factories months ago. they will catch up this summer and all the skanks who hoarded ammo that they don?t even own guns to will eat it.

Guns will still be flying off the shelves but ammo will become more plentiful. And Niggabama will most likely slow down the action in Afganistan and Iraq freeing up some production time for civilian orders.

You don't have to like the guy many of us don't...This is America, but that chit is uncalled for. There's black, white, brown, and yellow soldiers and Marines fightin' right now for us to be laying up on our arses BSing on GB. What do you call them?
    edited November -1
    My local guy has been out of 22rf-380-9mm-45 for almost a month.Says he wont go to WallyWorld to get his stuff. The ammo plants cant keep up.Pistol makers cant either. He did get a few Glocks in last week.They were Austrian made ones. Havent seen those in a while. Only primers around are percussion caps. Wont be surprised if we see a big increase in muzzle loaders this hunting season. Maybe even some breach loaders converting to black powder[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    quote:i told you guys about the letters i wrote to the factories months ago. they will catch up this summer and all the skanks who hoarded ammo that they don?t even own guns to will eat it.

Guns will still be flying off the shelves but ammo will become more plentiful. And Niggabama will most likely slow down the action in Afganistan and Iraq freeing up some production time for civilian orders.

You don't have to like the guy many of us don't...This is America, but that chit is uncalled for. There's black, white, brown, and yellow soldiers and Marines fightin' right now for us to be laying up on our arses BSing on GB. What do you call them?

I have served with many honorable black men in the Infantry. Have you?

Obama is a communist Negro and I can do whatever the hell I want against a communist. Pull the panties out of your crotch you sally * californicator.
    edited November -1
    Yeah real tough guy talk from a 63J10.
    edited November -1
    THAT was UGLY[}:)] Yall gonna get

'poofed"[:0]
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    BACK TO THE SUBJECT--I just purchased a coupla thousand rounds of 22LR from the "ghetto walmart" not far from me. Left at least that many more on the shelf. Wasn't in the market for anything else so I didn't look to see what they had. Got what I wanted and left...HAPPY![^][:D][:p]
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    ****EDIT****

I have served with many honorable black men in the Infantry. Have you?

Obama is a communist Negro and I can do whatever the hell I want against a communist. Pull the panties out of your crotch you sally * californicator.

I don't give a rat's * about your DD-214, son.

You are the idiot who's gonna get an otherwise decent exchange of ideas poofed.

Pull your head out of your * and start acting like a grown-up.
    edited November -1
    Yeah real tough guy talk from a 63J10.

Who the hell said i was a mechanic? I was infantry at 17 years old that is 11-b.

Im typing not talking.

I would guess you were never in any service or got a medical discharge and live with cats and watch nbc. During the day you play with your liberal hippie friends and secretly hate yourself.

Californians are just like a virus. They spread out because they created a pile of usless crap they want to get away from and then create the same usless crap in another area.

Stay there man. We need you there for the race war!
    edited November -1
    I'm an American first, foremost, and forever...The only race war I'm interested in is between Matt Kenseth fans like myself and Jr. fans. And 63J is a quartermaster. If you're still in Slovakia stay there. We don't need your "kind" here.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    Good I have been looking for Small rofle primers and 223 ammo for a while along with 45 acp.
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good afternoon!

Went to My gun shop today, which is ranked Number 2 in the state for selling guns.

I noticed it was dead in there today. Now this place has been a mad house for 5 months now. Didn't matter when you came in, was a circus.

My salesman told me that 2 weeks ago was like someone turned the lights out.

P.S. They have all types of ammo there too. Shelves are stocked.

Here comes the bust.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I detest obamalamadingdong.

But denigrating the man like that is vulgar and base.It reflects far worse on the user of the word, than on the object of it.

The only site I know of that would permit it is the uncensored site: www.1776x2.com

Where nothing is forbidden in the adult, password protected, forums.

Doug
  • Stevan1Stevan1 Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    i told you guys about the letters i wrote to the factories months ago. they will catch up this summer and all the skanks who hoarded ammo that they don?t even own guns to will eat it.

You know, you sit there and make RACIAL SLURS that do no one in this forum any good! There are families of all races and colors who have sons and daughters in the service fighting overseas for this country. They fight for our rights, yes, even the right to own guns and ammunition. Politics are one thing to espouse, but your Racist attitude far crosses the line in decency to human beings.

Moderators!! Where are you on this? Is this to be tolerated at Gun Brokers? If this is allowed to start now, when or will you stop it?
  • bustinstainlessbustinstainless Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from what i heard it is still a good time to stock up
    by the end of june a gun dealer told me the price of ammo will go up abot 33%
    edited November -1
    Dont worry. Nunn 'll be along in a few[:0]