In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The New Baltimore....

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the article.... "The seemingly Sisyphean task of containing the city's violence prompted Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake to fire her police commissioner, Anthony Batts, on July 8"

OK, without using Google, how many of you know what the word "Sisyphean" refers to?

And no, it does not mean they live in San Francisco....
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda guess...but something to do with making decisions that are not researched, and following orders blindly?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, not even close.

I'm guessing this wasn't written to be read by anyone in Baltimore?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I know is it killed Al Capone....
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to admit I remember this from a class I took way back when.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    All I know is it killed Al Capone....
    "Bingo"!...your now officially a Baltimorian.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Love how the mayor used the police commissioner as a scapegoat. It was her leadership that brought on the violence during and after the riots.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    Love how the mayor used the police commissioner as a scapegoat. It was her leadership that brought on the violence during and after the riots.

Yep, and it ain't over.[:D]
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    eh, I think I'll keep it under my hat for now
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    fast and furious 2 should contribute to this by dropping off loaded cases of hi-points at strategic locations in Baltimore, Detroit, Garry Indiana, Atlanta , saint Louis etc , to help kick it up a notch
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    42nd homicide of the month....things are rolling in Baltimore, at this rate the crime rate is going to drop precipitously!! Homicide rate not seen in 43 years...woohoooo, trying to keep up with chicago
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    From the article.... "The seemingly Sisyphean task of containing the city's violence prompted Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake to fire her police commissioner, Anthony Batts, on July 8"

OK, without using Google, how many of you know what the word "Sisyphean" refers to?

So is that an admission that do to the population they are dealing with it is an impossible task? hmmmmmm
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People naturally want to find a scapegoat, so they are blaming the democrat mayor as well as the democrat police chief.

So if they do fire them, the people of Baltimore will just go out and vote for another liberal democrat mayor and the mayor will pick another liberal democrat police chief.

Try to look at the problem from an ideological point of view. Liberals are liberals. All liberals think alike, all liberals deny personal responsibility, all liberals believe guns are the problem, not people, liberals have negative views of law enforcement except when enforcing tax laws and all liberal believe the answer to any problem is more government. I could go on.

Thus liberals democrats being liberal democrats, liberal democrats know no other solution other than what their inbred ideology teaches them: More liberal solutions.

Baltimore is stuck in an cyclic abyss of failure due to liberal ideology. Best advice I an offer is get used to it or get the hell out.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    edited November -1
    Sisyphus,I believe, was Greek?
    Undertakers are making a "killing" in Bal'more.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't blame the police commissioner; he serves at the pleasure of the mayor, so he knew that he would take the fall for her.

But, Tony Batts knew what he was doing. Terms of his departure are still secret but, as is usually done in B'more, it's likely he got a cash payout of at least 1 year's salary plus cash payout for all unused sick & vacation leave. So, don't feel sorry for him.

Batts was hired after the requisite "nationwide search", like his predecessors. Sadly, no one on the B'more city council knows enough about management to insist that department heads develop subordinates so that there are always highly qualified & experienced managers ready to move up & replace them. Holding a "nationwide search" for a department head is prima facie evidence of incompetence.

Neal
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    "Sisyphean".... meaningless ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I predict the Mayor will step down...
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Black lives matter! We need more abortions.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    "Sisyphean".... meaningless ?
    Close, but I think "never-endingly repetitive" is better.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take blacks from our society and the United States is one of the top safest places on the planet to live. Remove their test scores and the United States is also among the tops in education.

As long as it's not PC to even address the problem it'll never be corrected.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Take blacks from our society and the United States is one of the top safest places on the planet to live. Remove their test scores and the United States is also among the tops in education.

As long as it's not PC to even address the problem it'll never be corrected.

[:0]
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Sisyphus (not sure I spelled that correctly) was a character from Greek mythology that had a special punishment waiting for him in the afterlife (I don't remember what his crime was)

He was forced to roll a large boulder up the side of a hill and just as he would reach the top, the boulder would roll down to the bottom and he would have to start over.

I used to have a picture of depicting it hung on the wall of my cubicle. My boss never got the reference and I eventually took it down :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    and there was Tantalus, who had to stand in a pool of water with a fruit tree above him. when he got hungry and reached for a fruit, the branches would lift up. when he got thirsty and bent down to get a drink of water, it would recede.

put both of them together and it's like looking for a ##### job! [B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not all Blacks are mindless....Dr. George Washington Carver comes to mind, but he never spent his time on reparations either...
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lion lives matter.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    That mayor isn't the problem and neither is the police chief.

They're both just symptoms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep. it's the people that voted them into office, that's what they wanted...
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:. "When we're in something so deep, we have to stop it before you can analyze what the root is."

So how do you stop it without getting to the root of the problem.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Does it mean "Failing"???" I am just guessing from the text. Or Leaking??
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...don't get me started again on that craphole. They're reporting 45 for the month. Actually the official number was 46 (not including the ones they're hiding under other classifications-and there are a bunch of those)...had another one at 0020 on 8/1... getting to be just like the old days of 325+. Stay tuned folks.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They reap what they sow...
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    short old country boy version sort of like tits on a bore hog USELESS
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am familiar with the legend of Sisyphus. It ranks right up there with the fable of the Greek island Lesbia, which was inhabited only by women.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE: One dead, nine shot overnight. Sooner or later the speechifiers are gonna be kicked to the curb and the politicos will realize some policing of these savages is in order.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Think this will last till the trial on the Cops is over. If they are convicted it will just get worse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lol, let's not even talk about the trial without some Abrams and Bradleys on standby. The festivities last spring weren't even a warmup for what's to come. Working Americans should take note, every major city is the same as Balto, just a gnat's a** away from total chaos and anarchy yet we continue to pay the savages to propagate. Good move liberals.
  • Options
    TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Think this will last till the trial on the Cops is over. If they are convicted it will just get worse.

If they are convicted the trial would
    have been a scam.
    The fun will really begin when they are found
    "Not Guilty".
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as far as the rest of us be concerned ...let what happens in baltimore STAY in baltimore
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I believe it involves a large hill and a big rock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1 August, we're up to 11 shot, 3 fatally in 24 hrs. I'm about done counting for now...tough to keep up!