In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tool junkies

penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
What is the one American made from scratch tool? With its own stamp pressed or stickered on it? There is only one left.[V]

They make their own hand tools, boxes, pneumatics, and the only scan tool you will ever grab.

Its pretty simple...Its dummy proof now.

The only co. that has a 20 year supply of virgin metals on hand.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    S-K and NAPA Professional jump to the fore-front of my mind right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    S-K and NAPA Professional jump to the fore-front of my mind right now.

I know you only got so much time. So I want to thank you for that one. Your gona scare me though. Your close. Zulu when you get back to the states let us all welcome your service to us.

Thank you my friend, [:)]

I should of said professional line hand tools, boxes, and pneumatics.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hint...It made it through the first depression.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snap on.
    But they are not the only one.
    They are the only one with all 3,tools, tool boxes, & pneumatics
    Good tools, overpriced, but the snap on man gives you credit...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    What is the one American made from scratch tool? With its own stamp pressed or stickered on it? There is only one left.[:(]

D.W. HUSH. I know you already know.[:)]

Indeed its going to be fun to watch.

No posting of any rainbows here please. S-6

As well as I don't need to see the child slave labors in Asia in a factory making tools for the Americans.

Huh? be more specific. Lot's of tool companies have there own foundries.

Stanley...I think they go by New Britian...started making hinges...heck Vaugh melts there own hammers....
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,535 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Numerous brands of tools made in USA.
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cling2myguns
    Vise-grip

Not since Irwin bought them....
    Neither is crescent, or some S&K sets....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    001.JPG

Martin Hand Tools

Originally made in Ohio under the Fairmont name, moved to Texas and eventually purchased along with Fort Worth Steel by Martin Sprocket & Gear in the mid 80's. Includes a full line, but their niche is Body and Fender Tools.
    Forged, machined, ground, stamped in house. The only OSS work is heat-treating and powder coating.

As far as Proto, Snap-On, Stanley- Yes they maybe made in the states, but not necessarily by them [;)][;)]

Anyone want a plant tour sometime give me a call [:D][;)]

ps. Ask Pete about the Quality!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    001.JPG

Martin Hand Tools

Originally made in Ohio under the Fairmont name, moved to Texas and eventually purchased along with Fort Worth Steel by Martin Sprocket & Gear in the mid 80's. Includes a full line, but their niche is Body and Fender Tools.
    Forged, machined, ground, stamped in house. The only OSS work is heat-treating and powder coating.

As far as Proto, Snap-On, Stanley- Yes they maybe made in the states, but not necessarily by them [;)][;)]

LOL,
    I forgot about Martin, great hydraulic wrenches.
    64180275.jpg
    And hook & pin spanners to.[;)]

Armstrong is still made in the USA also..
    Don
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For lots of good tool infomation go to a search engine and type in ALLOY ARTIFACTS.I collect tools both old and new.One of the ones I collect is P&C brand that was one of the many tool companys owned by Proto.P&C was made in Oregon close to where I live.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Vise Grips say on the package MADE IN THE U.S.A with global components.Cresent has both U.S.A. and China made tools depending on what store you are buying them at. Good store=U.S.A.---Cheapie store=China.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    001.JPG

Martin Hand Tools

LOL,
    I forgot about Martin, great hydraulic wrenches.
    64180275.jpg
    And hook & pin spanners to.[;)]

Armstrong is still made in the USA also..
    Don

We thank you for your business Don [:)]

I have to remove Martin from the list though, because I missed the post about pnuematic...... We don't sell or make air tools, we sell boxes, but they are an American made buy-out.

The worst thing about Import tools, is you never know what quality of steel is being used. Also, sticking the head of a wrench under a heating torch for 10 seconds doesn't qualify as heat-treated [}:)]

b
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Snap on.
    Don

sorry to burst your bubble. i love snap on tools but next time the dealer comes to your shop. ask him why the USA is not stamped on the sockets anymore.

no reason for that premium price anymore.

it really makes me sad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    Snap on.
    Don

sorry to burst your bubble. i love snap on tools but next time the dealer comes to your shop. ask him why the USA is not stamped on the sockets anymore.

it really makes me sad.

LOL,
    No bubble to bust here, I work for the competition [;)][:D]....
    Don
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    001.JPG

Martin Hand Tools

How are there adjustable "cresent" wrenches?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pretty good since we buy them out from Cresent [}:)] Have started making some in house, but still buy the thumb screw (USA made), those are a bugger to make cheap [:p]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    klein I think is still american made
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Stanley...I think they go by New Britian..

Funny one.. There was a show on TV about the Stanley tools foundry.

American made wrenches

Blackhawk
    Proto
    MAC
    Husky
    Craftsman
    Benchtop
    NAPA

ALL came from the same factory.

Only different being the dies (molds) that were used to form the tools.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

American made wrenches

Blackhawk
    Proto
    MAC
    Husky
    Craftsman
    Benchtop
    NAPA

Stanley/Proto/Blackhawk are all the same "company"[;)]....
    Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

American made wrenches

Blackhawk
    Proto
    MAC
    Husky
    Craftsman
    Benchtop
    NAPA

Stanley/Proto/Blackhawk are all the same "company"[;)]....
    Don

Trinity Forged and machined, well elsewhere [;)][}:)][:D]
  • Options
    toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a Snap-on rep for 27 yrs.Not all Snap-on tools are made in the USA.Way back in the day somebody said lets import Japan and Chinas tools and sell them for next to nothing and flood the market with "cheap" and inexpencive tools.Americans could not get enough of them.They bought them buy the ton.So at some point in order to survive Snap-on had to start to compete with what Americans wanted in order to stay in bussiness.That is why not all Snap-on-tools are made in America.As a dealer of 27 years I sold both.You give your customer what they want or they will buy it from somebody else.As far as price of A Snap-on-tool.The real reason they are priced the way they are is because we come to you.It cost to run a truck up and down the road every week to all the shops.Say what you want My customers all of them were sad to see me go.I had given them great service for 27 years and they became great friends.I watched alot of them grow up.I sold alot of them their first tools.There are very few businesses that offer that kind of service anymore.You see these guys and gals every week and you see the good times and the bad times they go through.Be careful what you want you might get it!Ask A Mechanic what tool they would like to work with if it were free.!10 out of 10 will say SNAP-ON-TOOLSquote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    Snap on.
    Don

it really makes me sad.

LOL,
    No bubble to bust here, I work for the competition [;)][:D]....
    Don
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Given the choice I wouldn't use Snap-On ever. There is nothing in their line of tools that I care for. I think the screw drivers are fragile, I've stripped out many Snap-On ratchet heads doing normal work, and the wrenches are too thin and the edges too sharp it use with bare hands. I'll stick with my NAPA Professional series tools.
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I buy what I can afford. Most of my tools were my Dad's old Craftsman. I have a few specialty tools that had to be bought and I have a few that I made myself. I have HUSKY, PROTO, KOBALT, MUSTANG and bunch of others.

As far as the ONE American made from scratch tool with its OWN stamp, I am curious to know the answer.

My Dad never owned any SNAP-ON tools. The only car accident I ever remember him having was after his second heart attack. He pulled out in front of a SNAP-ON tool truck. He admitted fault and every time I saw him pick up a SNAP-ON tool he just stood there and shook his head. He said there were tools everywhere after the wreck and he & the tool truck driver were scrambling to get them all picked up out of the road.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only wrenches I used in setup on machines... Williams.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    Vise Grips say on the package MADE IN THE U.S.A with global components.Cresent has both U.S.A. and China made tools depending on what store you are buying them at. Good store=U.S.A.---Cheapie store=China.

EvilDr235

Yes and no. Of course China companies (many of which are owned by Anerican companies) make cheap junk and ship it to America. Why not? If Americans are dumb enough to buy it it's good business.

But don't ever think that everything made in China is junk. Far from it. They don't export the good stuff to America. Too expensive for the American market.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My favorite tools for at home use are Proto.At work I use mostly Craftsman.I own many different brands of tools being a collector.I buy alot of tools just because they appeal to me.I like Proto ratchets because repair kits for them are available online. Plomb,Proto,WWII Craftsman,Fleet,P&C,Tru test,Vogel all made by one company going back over 60 years and all use the same repair kits in their family size.1/4-3/8-1/2-3/4. I recently bought a Proto 3/4 inch drive ratchet that was made in the 1949 to 1956 time frame.It need a repair kit due to internal rust.I got online and in 3 days I had my repair kit for it.Try that with any other brand.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I know where they make adjustable wrenches, mostly Cooper. Monroe, NC. Pretty interesting to see them made.

I drive a company service truck for work, tools are mine, well most of them. Ford F 250 weighs 8200 lbs empty, with all tools in it and 1/4 tank of fuel, i'm over 11,000 lbs. Just waiting for the DOT guy to weigh me one day, truck is tagged for 10,000 lbs.

Have a wide selection of brands with Sears being the most prominent because if I break one, I can go about anywhere and get it replaced, usualy with just a little hassle. Also have Snap-on, Mac, Cresent, Kobalt, NAPA, Klein, Wright, Proto, BlackHawk, Gedore, Beta and others. Most of the engines I work on now days are made in Austria, means they are metric. If you think the Germans engineer in an odd manner, you ain't seen nothing until you see the stuff the Austrians come up with. Good part is they also come up with the tools to do the job. They have a tool kit that you use to remove/replace a main bearing without dropping the oil pan. You go in through the side of the block, got access ports, but sure is a pain to do. Bearing cap weighs right at 40 pounds. For those engines, Beta or Gedore tools is the way to go, where else you find a double open end wrench 41 mm on one side, 50 mm on the other, 12" long with a deep offset.

I use the tool what works best for the job at hand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To the couple of posters that mentioned "foundry"....... If you can find a "quality" tool that started out as a casting and not a forging and a full grown man can pick it without a forklift....... I'll buy you a steak.

Forgings are made by taking small diameter steel and "hammering" and trimming it into shape. Most tools have the term "dropped forged" on them.

Foundry's pour castings, steel-iron-aluminium-etc. Cost is the factor as well as strength of material. When you forge something, you are actually work hardening it and needs annealling before you ever wanna cut it. Then another round of heat treat and you have a quality USA made tool.

For the RTwing........ been there and seen how the Chinese make their product, inferior metalurgy- H/T and workmanship. Your statement is way off base. It is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To the couple of posters that mentioned "foundry"....... If you can find a "quality" tool that started out as a casting and not a forging and a full grown man can pick it without a forklift....... I'll buy you a steak.

Forgings are made by taking small diameter steel and "hammering" and trimming it into shape. Most tools have the term "dropped forged" on them.

Foundry's pour castings, steel-iron-aluminium-etc. Cost is the factor as well as strength of material. When you forge something, you are actually work hardening it and needs annealling before you ever wanna cut it. Then another round of heat treat and you have a quality USA made tool.

For the RTwing........ been there and seen how the Chinese make their product, inferior metalurgy- H/T and workmanship. Your statement is way off base. It is junk.

I appreciate what you're saying. I've been there too. More than 3o times. Have many cutting and measuring tools that I have brought back over the years. They are first class tools. That's why I buy them in China, but they're not cheap price.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst

I appreciate what you're saying. I've been there too. More than 3o times. Have many cutting and measuring tools that I have brought back over the years. They are first class tools. That's why I buy them in China, but they're not cheap price.

Then you have been to better factories than I have and I respect your opinion. I also agree that they can make better than what they sell here, because Americans for the most part will buy cheap rather than quality. I have a good friend that works for a US import company that is making a killing while I lay people off. I still go back to the fact that the steel they are made from is inferior as is their finishing practices. I would hate to see the tool makes go the way of the machine tool makers......... I still have Bullards running in my shop that could never be matched by the cheap crap coming out of Taiwan, Japan, and now China...... Sorry to take this thread south but penetraitor asked a question about my backyard.[;)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna have to say "CHANNEL-LOCK".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I'm gonna have to say "CHANNEL-LOCK".

no tool boxes or air tools, I missed that post also

come on penetraitor............ spill it
  • Options
    edited November -1

Then why buy them in China.....
    Don
  • Options
    edited November -1

Don

For one reason, I admire the ingunity and quality. For another, I found tools not available in US.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Don

For one reason, I admire the ingunity and quality. For another, I found tools not available in US.

Sorry Rtwing I call BS on "ingunity", they started up with blueprints sent from USA manufactures looking for a cheaper deal. Reverse Design is not "ingunity". Brian